The Half Life of 18ck

18ck

This challenge will be an attempt to live life as a dude preparing for a half marathon. A sort of - do you see? a.... mwahaha - a sort of "Half Life" if you will. The Half is at the end of the rest week in between this challenge and the next, so it's perfect really: I can work my socks off, then take the rest week as a taper period and run it just the following weekend.

My main goals will be:

Run 

Gordon_op4_running.jpg

... and crosstrain generally. Basically, do something every day. It's the only kind of routine I understand. It'll be one long run, one short run, plus a lot of other cardio, core and strength work, basically. I'll be making a spreadsheet so you know I mean it.

Form Alliances

dc-1936-41318787720.jpg

I need to be less reclusive with other people around me. I don't want to be too prescriptive about this but I resolve that in the 6 weeks I will - on at least 3 occasions - say "yes" when i would otherwise say "no" to things people (co-workers, acquaintances, squad-mates) want to do together providing it doesn't (a) involve excessive quantities of booze and cake or (B) contradict my marriage vows*

Don't Be a Headcrab Zombie

0000002344.600x338.jpg?t=1411592690

It's a known fact that headcrabs can't enslave your mind if you fortify it with Portuguese verb conjugations.

Enter Another Dimension

nihilant.jpg

Handstands

Clear Debt

...oh well, I've already got two lifestyle goals so maybe I'll just leave this one off the menu, eh? It'll get a bit dull. 

*= because obviously I get offers all the... no, no, I don't.

placeholder for when i have time to write it up properly and make myself a timetable.

Main goals for early 2015:

Be more sociable

Clear debt from last year's house purchase and Christmas

Half marathon at the end of what would be week 7 of this challenge

Be the king of handstandistan

Um... would you believe learn Portuguese?

• Like 5

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

Subbing.

And Portuguese? Who would have guessed? Language learning seems like the never-ending story, doesn't it? I have been studying an array of romance languages, and even though I supposedly have an 800-900 word vocabulary in Spanish, I can't make head or tails of a children's picture book in the language. So bad.

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

Do you have anyone with whom to practice babbling in Portuguese? Or could you go to Portugal and stay for a week to see if you could get a knack for at least the words that mean food and lodging? I'm still working on the Spanish. I finally found what looks to be a decent grammar book so I can learn the rules. 

STRENGTH (0) | DEXTERITY (-1) | CONSTITUTION (1) | WISDOM (3) | INTELLIGENCE (3) | CHARISMA (2)

Syren  -- Chaotic Good -- Human Druish Ranger -- Current Challenge -- Battle Log

Handstandistan.... I've heard of such a place, but I thought it was purely mythical. Glad it's a real thing, go conquer those roaming hand stands! :-)

missrackl

Level 1 Rebel Reboot

Activities: cycling, running, snowshoeing

Fandoms: Rick and Morty, LotR, Thursday Next, Star Wars (of course!)

Goals: 1) Keep on running, 2) Eat on diet, 3) Read a book

Amended the OP to fit my new theme.

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Subbing.

And Portuguese? Who would have guessed? Language learning seems like the never-ending story, doesn't it? I have been studying an array of romance languages, and even though I supposedly have an 800-900 word vocabulary in Spanish, I can't make head or tails of a children's picture book in the language. So bad.

Mm, the words aren't as important as a feel for the structure of the language, eh? Don't give up though - Spanish is easy (as Benny Lewis of Language Hacking League reminded me just today) and you'll get there.

Do you have anyone with whom to practice babbling in Portuguese? Or could you go to Portugal and stay for a week to see if you could get a knack for at least the words that mean food and lodging? I'm still working on the Spanish. I finally found what looks to be a decent grammar book so I can learn the rules. 

What, apart from my wife you mean?  :redface-new:

Yes, the reason for learning is to communicate with the in-laws. Mrs 18ck's english is fluent and I don't see the in-laws often so I don't speak as much as I'd like to. Speaking really is the royal road to learning a language though. Sod learning vocabulary lists and grammar for a game of soldiers. I must admit I'd forgotten you were learning Spanish, but allow me to... *points up* ...point you to the link I've just posted to Phoenix burning. 

I'm actually reasonably OK at Portuguese given a patient enough interlocutor and the ability to talk with my hands, I won't starve, although I might have to live off coffee, bread, fruit and cheese and what-not. My grammar is crap but I can more-or-less communicate well enough to improve if I could just get a conversation going, I think. It's just so easy to not bother though, isn't it?

Handstandistan.... I've heard of such a place, but I thought it was purely mythical. Glad it's a real thing, go conquer those roaming hand stands! :-)

*waves with foot*

Portuguese? You don't say?!

So nice to see not much has changed (except you all have been getting fitter, and me, slacking off) hereabouts and in Handstandistan.

Happy to be back. :)

It's Nanako!!!

Hi! Where are you? Never mind, I'll come and find you.

• Like 1

Spanish does not seem any harder than Latin, I just lack the rule book about how sentences should be constructed. Duolingo is a great vocabulary tool, and I have learned a lot of words. If the speaker is slow enough, I can translate, from that memorized vocabulary, basic sentences that I hear. I can speak basic Spanish, memorized words and phrases, with a terrible American accent. Not knowing how the language works makes it difficult to form my own sentences despite having a large vocabulary. However, I still try to use what Latin I remember in place of some Spanish words when going through Duolingo exercises. The problem of the evolution of language, I suppose.

Anyway, as an interested linguaphile, what do Portuguese verb conjugations look like? 

(To the google!)

STRENGTH (0) | DEXTERITY (-1) | CONSTITUTION (1) | WISDOM (3) | INTELLIGENCE (3) | CHARISMA (2)

Syren  -- Chaotic Good -- Human Druish Ranger -- Current Challenge -- Battle Log

Oh, if you know Latin, that's half the work done for sure. The verbs are very similar. Portuguese is quite similar but more formal and they have more tenses and the pronunciation is all nasal and it's just generally like a harder and more baffling version of Spanish. I suspect Brazilian Portuguese (which is what duolingo teaches) might be simpler though. I did some Spanish at uni and can follow along, more-or-less in dialogues with Mexicans in - say - Breaking Bad, even now, decades later, but Portuguese just seems more slippery.

PS, on the "more tenses", WTF, does time work differently in Portugal???

• Like 2

I am skeptical of super-secret all-new methods that you have to pay to even see. I have been using Duolingo. Plus two years of high school Spanish (and three of French). I think I have a decent understanding of structure, I just need more vocabulary. It's amazing how difficult a story about a rooster is when you don't know words like "beak", "feather", or "strut". I think I might start watching Disney DvDs in Spanish, just for practice. Lord knows, there are enough of them laying around here.

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

Nice set of goals.

Thanks

I am skeptical of super-secret all-new methods that you have to pay to even see. I have been using Duolingo. Plus two years of high school Spanish (and three of French). I think I have a decent understanding of structure, I just need more vocabulary. It's amazing how difficult a story about a rooster is when you don't know words like "beak", "feather", or "strut". I think I might start watching Disney DvDs in Spanish, just for practice. Lord knows, there are enough of them laying around here.

True enough about the super-secret method. I've been reading some of his blog posts for a while and his book had some useful tips. It's more about finding short cuts ("language hacking") than a technique as such, but I can see it's not for everyone. I think your idea of videos is a good one. I like listening to podcasts and reading simple books, preferably ones I've read before, too.

• Like 1

It's always the pluperfect subjunctive that gets you. I will have been late if such and such happened.

Mm, but you're probably ok to start a conversation in a pub without having mastered that... [emoji1]

Near the end of weekend zero now and I've spent most of it in my exercise gear. Yesterday, o went for a run in the morning and then took Flyer to her riding lesson and did a quick run up the hill and around - maybe 2k while I waited. In the evening we had in-laws visiting so that should have been a good opportunity to practice but it didn't work very well...

Today, a 5k ergo, followed by a C25K Zombie run with Flyer. She started C25K a while ago but stopped and now it's 2015 so she fancied a redo. We started again at w1d1 to get the full story. Easy enough for me of course, but she's only nine, and it's cold and muddy so I was impressed that she kept it up!

• Like 2

I like all this, man. You got your head on straight about this, you can easily be proud of that. I think the spreadie is a good call as well. I have it bookmarked so let's keep it up-to-date, yea? Have a great first couple days and I'll come check on ya!

Cheers.

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

Portuguese: Reading at lunchtime

Friendliness.... um... 

Exercise: 131 push-ups in 6 sets, and a shit-ton of cycling

• Like 3

Head-crabs biffed with crowbar: 13

• Like 2

18ck!!!!  Glad to see you are still here, buddy.  When is your half-marathon?  I'm doing a 10 miler in April, and thinking of doing a half in May.  Haven't done one since before the kiddos were born, so it would be a great challenge to try--and more motivation if others are doing them, too!  Tell me this one doesn't have those crazy hills like your marathon last year did.

HermioneCrusher: Level 4 Human Witch Scout

Current Challenge: HermioneCrusher conjures new food

Previous Challenges: 4 3 2 1

STR 5 | DEX 7 | STA 12 | CON 4 | WIS 7 | CHA 4

Harrumph! Failed already:

I did the portuguese, and I turned up at the rowing club in my gym gear but it was full of burly men's-squad rowers. I haven't been idle - I've been sweating up the hills on my bike for hours - but I'm already off-piste with my program. In fact, in a way, it's double-fail because if I was sticking to my sociable goal I would have joined them and hopped on an empty station but I was feeling mousey so I scampered away.

Bah!

Ah well, not to worry. Early night, double duty tomorrow. I'll do some lifting *and* running and cuddle a complete stranger.

• Like 3