The Half Life of 18ck

18ck

18ck!!!!  Glad to see you are still here, buddy.  When is your half-marathon?  I'm doing a 10 miler in April, and thinking of doing a half in May.  Haven't done one since before the kiddos were born, so it would be a great challenge to try--and more motivation if others are doing them, too!  Tell me this one doesn't have those crazy hills like your marathon last year did.

No, it'll be by the river and next to Hampton Court (Henry V!!!'s* old gaff) at the end of week 7 of this 6 week challenge. I'm looking forward to it, although I've not run anywhere near that distance in a while so I've got homework.

*=er... I meant to type VIII but I think V!!! is more fitting, as his wives would attest, so I'll leave it.

• Like 2

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

Harrumph! Failed already:

I did the portuguese, and I turned up at the rowing club in my gym gear but it was full of burly men's-squad rowers. I haven't been idle - I've been sweating up the hills on my bike for hours - but I'm already off-piste with my program. In fact, in a way, it's double-fail because if I was sticking to my sociable goal I would have joined them and hopped on an empty station but I was feeling mousey so I scampered away.

Bah!

Ah well, not to worry. Early night, double duty tomorrow. I'll do some lifting *and* running and cuddle a complete stranger.

January is always a terrible month for fitness regulars, what with Resolutioners taking up all the machines. I had to fight for a treadmill this morning, too, and normally there isn't another soul at my gym when I go.
  • Like 2

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

January is always a terrible month for fitness regulars, what with Resolutioners taking up all the machines. I had to fight for a treadmill this morning, too, and normally there isn't another soul at my gym when I go.

Mm, today was tricky too. When I got there, there was a woman in the squat rack who was doing a circuit using every single piece of gym equipment except the leg press, sit-up thingy, dumbells and pull-up bar. I couldn't even really work in because she had them all set up with delicate little lady-weights*.

Anyway, the women's squad had the area booked later in the evening so I just did... Well, leg-press, pull-ups, curls, sit-ups for a while, and then went upstairs for a 20 minute ergo. Só it was an ok workout in spite of the sudden busy-ness. Maybe I should just go along later in the evening to get a but more room.

*=I realise this is an objectionable phrase, but under the circumstances, I hope you'll bear with me.

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

In other news, I've been working at home today so no cycling but I took a break at lunch to do a short, fast run and then after school time, I went out to do a slower, C25K run with an Assassin friend of mine, which was quite fun. Here are some selfies from the road.

Foot Selfie

5ec5c15b9eab9f3130594cb80a9a843a.jpg

Face Selfie

056f7221751fe661457d2efe6e8eb0e6.jpg

So, crushing it on the exercise front. No handstands so far. I've made some progress towards the not-being-an-antisocial-git goal though, and I'm about to do some Memrise lessons in Portuguese vocabulary before getting back to work.

Rawr!

• Like 2

My pink ones were being washed.

Oh and Memrise : done.

Must keep this up.

• Like 2

Oh and those are head torches in case you're wondering. I haven't just gone crazy with the lens flare in photoshop.

• Like 1

Real men wear pink

They do indeed.

Anyway, I took my purple (close enough?) t-shirt to the rowing club again today for the weekly b/w circuit. It's usually pretty awful straight after Christmas but it actually went OK today. Despite yesterday's exertions I was cranking out press-ups, squats and all that good stuff, working up a sweat.

Afterwards I did an episode of the "Practise Portuguese" podcast.

Tomorrow is a long run and we've got a weekend of gym activity planned at a fancy schmancy place in Chiswick (that's the part of London Hugh Grant grew up in, which is probably all you need to know about it). I am not a gym person by nature but I won a family pass for the weekend in a raffle so we signed up for some classes on stuff we'd like to try and we're going to take our trunks and our tennis rackets and this and that and just live there for the weekend having fun and drinking overpriced smoothies.

• Like 1

Decided to put the long run off till tomorrow and do it on a treadmill. Argh! Not that! But I'm in training and I thought I'd try that thing of setting a target speed so I gave to stick to it or I'll be flung off.

Anyway, instead I did another night-time C25K with Flyer. She was a bit worried about Zombie noises, and she was also a bit prone to stitches, having eaten too many empanadas before we set off, but it was fine - we ran and walked and did a GotG Awesome Mix Karaoke in the dark and frightened the bats. The week one runs are too easy for her anyway so it doesn't matter that we skimped a bit.

E fiz o meu português também. Até agora, este desafio está perfeito!

Aqui está um outro Selfie do pé

b11a51132cd051c90ab595d7900e1841.jpg

• Like 1

Why is it that my Spanish lessons do not enable me to read Spanish, but I can perfectly well make out that the above photo is captioned, "Here is another selfie of feet" in Portuguese?????

Mm, I'm the other way around. After all this time I can still barely follow my in-laws, catching every tenth word, but when I watched that Breaking Bad episode where Walter converses with some Mexican laundry workers who only speak Spanish, everything was crystal clear.
  • Like 1

Are you looking forward to the weekend of gym activity?

I'm in my gym gear now with my bags packed. I'm going in my own today and the others are joining me tomorrow because they've got a music lesson and a ticket to see the musical Cats. Probably just as well that flyer isn't coming; she's sitting on the sofa in her Pikachu onesie looking totally pooped, so it looks like a restful day is what she needs.
  • Like 1

Decided to put the long run off till tomorrow and do it on a treadmill. Argh! Not that! But I'm in training and I thought I'd try that thing of setting a target speed so I gave to stick to it or I'll be flung off.

Anyway, instead I did another night-time C25K with Flyer. She was a bit worried about Zombie noises, and she was also a bit prone to stitches, having eaten too many empanadas before we set off, but it was fine - we ran and walked and did a GotG Awesome Mix Karaoke in the dark and frightened the bats. The week one runs are too easy for her anyway so it doesn't matter that we skimped a bit.

Long runs on the treadmill are good for pace training, but man...time seems to really pass more slowly on a treadmill.  It's like they have their own little bubbles around them where gravity is twice as strong.  Do you have any distraction devices handy?

I'm in my gym gear now with my bags packed. I'm going in my own today and the others are joining me tomorrow because they've got a music lesson and a ticket to see the musical Cats. Probably just as well that flyer isn't coming; she's sitting on the sofa in her Pikachu onesie looking totally pooped, so it looks like a restful day is what she needs.

Cats are still alive???

HermioneCrusher: Level 4 Human Witch Scout

Current Challenge: HermioneCrusher conjures new food

Previous Challenges: 4 3 2 1

STR 5 | DEX 7 | STA 12 | CON 4 | WIS 7 | CHA 4

Long runs on the treadmill are good for pace training, but man...time seems to really pass more slowly on a treadmill. It's like they have their own little bubbles around them where gravity is twice as strong. Do you have any distraction devices handy?

Oh I know I know. Jesus. I'm used to running in mud with mammals of various sorts popping up every five minutes but today it was just miles if repetitive grind with an endlessly repeating pop video on and a feeling of futility. I also realise now that the clothes you wear indoors at the gym are not the same as the clothes you wear outside in January.

Sweat, sweat...

Decent time though, and a worthwhile session. I also swam for an hour or so, hung out in the sauna and jacuzzi, did an eighty minute yoga lesson and some random kettlebell/barbell/whatever at the end. I took breaks in between to read and top myself up with fluids and what-not. Then went home to eat steak and wait for the womenfolk.

It's like the Disneyland of fitness, really. I mean, it's not my kind of thing but I can't help but be impressed by it all. Flyer and Mrs 18ck are joining me tomorrow. Excitement.

Cats are still alive???

Yes, and also dead. They shouldn't have let Erwin Schrödinger write the script.
  • Like 4

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!! She has a Pikachu onesie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

STR – 24.45, DEX – 13.50, STA – 23.50, CON – 21.40, WIS – 27.65, CHA – 4.50
When the sun comes up, you better start running - Thomas Friedmen
Epic Quest - Current Challenge - Twitter - Goodreads - Fitbit - blog

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!! She has a Pikachu onesie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

51bc3335ec989e4e97a80e60595e4ead.jpg

Envious?

• Like 1

Day two of the epic gym weekend was a bit more of a family fun day we cycled up there, but OMG, that little Road gets choked with traffic on a Sunday,what with all the sports traffic and we were the only ones on bikes, so it was a bit hair-raising. We didn't really get organised for classes, so we all did treadmill runs: Mrs 18ck did a long one, I did a 2km super-speedy and Flyer had her first treadmill experience and really enjoyed it. Then we flitted from station to station, trying Bulgarian bags, Kettlewell, weird rotation climbing walls, boxing gloves, rowing machines, bosu balance-boards, and anything else that took our fancy. Flyer thought it was all really good fun, even the elliptical. And BTW, what actual real-world thing is am elliptical supposed to emulate? Stirring a giant vat of soup with your own stilts?

Anyway, then we did a Neila Rey workout, went out to play tennis, swam for a bit , got chucked out of the spa pool for bullshit health and safety reasons and went home.

• Like 1

Weekly round-up:

Exercised every day, above and beyond planned goals, A+

Portuguese: On target, A.

Nonantisocialness: Valiant attempt made but no score so far.

Handstands: None, F.