jengetsit: 6 Week Challenge

jengetsit

This week's Summary

Tracked diet 6 days/ fell off wagon 1 day

Walked 4 days

Lifted 1.5 times

The 1.5 is because I did my 5x5 one day and another day I just did a few lifts on the machines. So I'm trying to decide if I'm going to hit the weights today or go for another walk.

It's supposed to be really nice outside ...

Went to the gym and did some lifting!

I got to the gym too early, and the weight room was closed. I didn't want to walk the track until it opened because I'm just so over that track, so I went across the street to the self-serve car wash and cleaned up my car for the warm up. Killed two birds, one stone!

5 x 5 Workout A

Squat: 5 x 5 x 55

Bench: 5 x 5 x 50

DB Row: 5 x 5 x 10

I've decided to sub DB rows for BB rows. I feel like this is the lift that causes me the most trouble. I think the dumbbells are a better choice because I work each side equally, and there is definitely an imbalance in my back, which may be contributing to some of the pain and problems. Plus I can go a bit lighter. It's going to be a long, slow process with my back. I just feel that working each side separately will be more beneficial at this time. 

Plan on going for a walk with the dog too as soon as my hubby gets home.

Details later ...

Looks like a good active week where you stuck to your goals (even given Friday... you had a ~-7200 deficit, so unless you ate all that, it is not TOO bad!).  Great job for week 2!

Interesting looking at the Fitbit stats.  I have been trying to decide between the Fitbit Charge HR and the UP3 and really leaning towards the Up... but the stats shown are sure nice!

• Like 1

Level 0 Human Adventurer

STR 0 || DEX 0 || STA 0 || CON 0 || WIS 0 || CHA 0

Adventuring with Miscellaneous Beings

Challenge: First

Looks like a good active week where you stuck to your goals (even given Friday... you had a ~-7200 deficit, so unless you ate all that, it is not TOO bad!).  Great job for week 2!

Interesting looking at the Fitbit stats.  I have been trying to decide between the Fitbit Charge HR and the UP3 and really leaning towards the Up... but the stats shown are sure nice!

Thanks! Yeah, my cals were pretty low all week, so I think I still came in at a deficit! 

I have the Fitbit Charge. I *wanted* the Charge HR but they didn't have one in stock and now I am kicking myself for not waiting! It's only like $10 more ... maybe I'll give mine to the hubs and get the HR, LOL!

Yes, the stats are super cool. I am a bit of a tracking junkie. :)

Hi Jen, you are doing great! Esp with the back pain and all.  Hope the DB rows help.  I use DB, but I do both sides at once - hadn't thought about doing different reps or weights on each side to try and even out uneven strength.  Something to think about! 

I have a misfit flash - figured I'd buy something super cheap and if I'm still finding it useful in a few months I'll buy something nicer.  So far I find it really motivating to get my steps in and I find the sleep data interesting - but I really like the weekly summary for your fitbit.  My understanding is that it's hard to get data on specific workouts from the fitbit, but I don't really pay that much attention to individual workouts on the misfit - I use it more to track overall activity.  There are so many pros and cons for each one.  I've thought about the nike fuelband b/c it reminds you to get up an move at regular intervals, but I think I might just ignore those.  I like that I don't have to tell the misfit when I'm going to sleep - it tracks it all on it's own.  I just want to pick and choose my favorite functions from the list.  Haha! 

Anyhow, keep up the good work!!

~Lightning

• Like 1

Level: 3

Guild: Assassin

Race: Air Sprite

STR 8 | DEX 4 | STA 9 | CON 3 | WIS 5 | CHA 3

The beginning of wisdom is this: Get wisdom. Though it cost all you have, get understanding. - King Solomon

Current Challenge

Previous Challenge

Hi Jen, you are doing great! Esp with the back pain and all.  Hope the DB rows help.  I use DB, but I do both sides at once - hadn't thought about doing different reps or weights on each side to try and even out uneven strength.  Something to think about! 

I have a misfit flash - figured I'd buy something super cheap and if I'm still finding it useful in a few months I'll buy something nicer.  So far I find it really motivating to get my steps in and I find the sleep data interesting - but I really like the weekly summary for your fitbit.  My understanding is that it's hard to get data on specific workouts from the fitbit, but I don't really pay that much attention to individual workouts on the misfit - I use it more to track overall activity.  There are so many pros and cons for each one.  I've thought about the nike fuelband b/c it reminds you to get up an move at regular intervals, but I think I might just ignore those.  I like that I don't have to tell the misfit when I'm going to sleep - it tracks it all on it's own.  I just want to pick and choose my favorite functions from the list.  Haha! 

Anyhow, keep up the good work!!

~Lightning

Thanks! I'm kinda waiting on the PT to tell me which side of my back needs more work. Mainly I switched to DB because there is probably one side of my back that is compensating for the other side during BB rows and that's never good when it's a problematic area. 

I didn't know I would get a weekly summary--they emailed it automatically! The fitbit is no good at individual workouts, either. Weight training isn't really meant to burn tons of calories at the time it's done--it's more about building muscle so you burn more at rest. The calorie payoff for weights is when you're sitting on your ass in front of the TV, lol. I know what you mean about picking favs from each device! And today I read that the Apple Watch is supposed to be super cool--and it tracks too! The choices!! Gah!!! 

• Like 1

I kinda messed up with the food thing again. *sigh* I forgot we were supposed to do Chinese Buffet tonight with my daughter. I was pretty good for a buffet. I did have some coconut shrimp and one dumpling, but other than that no fried foods and I ate all veggies and chicken. Still ... not very good. However, I did track it. Not sure how accurate it is, though. 

Damage: 

ScreenShot2015-01-18at92827PM_zps695108c

So I really cannot have another "cheat" for two weeks. I've had two in three days! Don't want to start back down that road. It's not helping that I'm PMSing and I get ravenous the week before I start. My cravings are supernatural. I never feel full. But I've just gotta tough it out. No.More.Cheats. 

Good news is I walked the dog for about 40 minutes. Every little bit helps, right? 

Also took some photos at the park. Here they are ...

01DSC_8416_zps018a0c52.jpg

01DSC_8430_zps1fcea18a.jpg

0DSC_8401_zpse90ef6c4.jpg

The blurring effect in these photos was not done in Photoshop. It's a special lens I use that has a tilt feature, called LensBaby. It's a novelty lens, just for fun. I haven't played with it in a while but I think I'm going to use it more now. It's light and different. 

Going to PT in the a.m. Hope I get a massage. 

• Like 2

The photos are kinda awesome. I want to see more. 

Bummer on the cheats, but they happen. You'll do better next time. I'm a little surprised there is a log for Chinese buffet. Learn something new everyday. 

Level 4 Drow Adventurer

Stats: STR 8 DEX 7 CON 7.9 STA 10 WIS 8 CHA 7.9

Daily Battle Log

1st | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th  | 7th Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Twitter

Nice photos! I was going to comment on the strange focus in the duck pic. Then I saw the lensbaby. I really like tilt-shift photos, especially the ones that make normal things look miniature!

Yeah, I like the miniature effect too! I think maybe the wider lenses work better for it--my Lensbaby is an 85mm. I've never really been able to pull it off with the 85, but I could be doing it wrong too! 

The photos are kinda awesome. I want to see more. 

Bummer on the cheats, but they happen. You'll do better next time. I'm a little surprised there is a log for Chinese buffet. Learn something new everyday. 

Thanks! LOL I know I was surprised for the Chinese Buffet to show up on mfp too. I'm actually right back to my pre-binge weight, so no harm was done, I guess! 

Yeah, I like the miniature effect too! I think maybe the wider lenses work better for it--my Lensbaby is an 85mm. I've never really been able to pull it off with the 85, but I could be doing it wrong too!

I think you could pull it off with an 85. In most of the "miniature" photos I have seen, they are from a high perspective angle, looking down on the subject, and usually from far away...  I've never done it myself, but now I kind of want to... :P

• Like 1

I think you could pull it off with an 85. In most of the "miniature" photos I have seen, they are from a high perspective angle, looking down on the subject, and usually from far away...  I've never done it myself, but now I kind of want to... :tongue:

Yeah, you're right--they are done from up high. Guess I'll have to wait for the opportunity. Most buildings in my town don't go over two stories, lol. 

PMS cravings are the worst! Eating fruit smoothies to satisfy your sugar craving is much better than say chocolate cake or cookies. So great job!

Also, I LOVE your pictures! You've got some great work!

• Like 1

Ranger | LEVEL 5 | Human

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Whether you think you can or you can't, you're right." - Henry Ford

CHALLENGES

Current Challenge

Well, this is my log and I want it to be as honest as possible. 

I'm sooo struggling this week on diet. PMS, hunger, cravings, etc. Yesterday was another off day for me. I was craving chocolate. My daughter had an appointment at 5 and we went out to eat afterwards. I didn't do too bad at the restaurant, but it's like it sets this whole mentality in motion. 

Today the plan is to stay on track. Again. 

I did manage to walk 3 miles yesterday, which was good. I've been taking a different route which includes me climbing a long and steep hill 5 times. I don't really want to go over 3 miles on the walks, so I am going to start slowly adding intensity by jogging up the hill. I may jog up it once, and add a jog each week. When I get to all 5 jogs up the hill, I will pick up the pace and add a run. Eventually, if my back allows it, I'd like to be doing sprints up this hill. But that's months away.

Another good thing is my back seems to have adjusted to the new level of activity and it's not giving me much grief. Today is another weight lifting day for me and I plan on adding weight to presses and deads. Not a lot of weight, just a slight push to keep me progressing without pain. 

Good job on the exercise, glad your back's not being horrible to you. 

I'm sooo struggling this week on diet. PMS, hunger, cravings, etc. Yesterday was another off day for me. I was craving chocolate. My daughter had an appointment at 5 and we went out to eat afterwards. I didn't do too bad at the restaurant, but it's like it sets this whole mentality in motion. 

Hmm. You're getting plenty protein from what I've seen in your last screenshot. You're getting a good mix of fruit and veg. Maybe if you swap one carb-based side for a protein based one each day it might keep you fuller for longer. Beans instead of potatoes or something. Maybe more fibre if you can.

Good luck and whatever you do I hope it works for you!

• Like 1

Sarah Barr - Level 13 Warhobbit

STR 18 | DEX 7 | STA 17 | CON 38 | WIS 28 | CHA 12

Challenges:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19 20  21  22  23  24  25 (Current)

Accountabiddlydoodlies Group                 Current Weight: 106.1kg                      Recipe Book               

"I hold... that a man should strive to the uttermost for his life's set prize" - Robert Browning

Instagram (Things I have painted or made.)

To-Do List
Idiot Jar Limit: £5.00        Current Idiot Jar Total: £0.00     Current Idiot Jar Forfeit: [TBD].

I'm in a bit of a diet funk myself... Time to shake it off! Glad to see all the walking, and the plans to keep progressing your weights!

Thanks! Glad I'm not the only one in the funk!

Good job on the exercise, glad your back's not being horrible to you. 

Hmm. You're getting plenty protein from what I've seen in your last screenshot. You're getting a good mix of fruit and veg. Maybe if you swap one carb-based side for a protein based one each day it might keep you fuller for longer. Beans instead of potatoes or something. Maybe more fibre if you can.

Good luck and whatever you do I hope it works for you!

Good idea! I had some black beans tonight (taco salad) and so far, so good today! 

Hit the gym today!

Warm Up: 

walk .5 miles

leg extensions 20 lbs

leg curls 20/30 lbs

squat 45 lbs

Squat: 5 x 5 x 55

OHP: 5x5x35

Deads: 5x75

Yay, went up on overhead press and deads! I really enjoy myself at the gym when I am lifting. Weight lifting is so fun for me. I just wish I could do more of it, go heavier, really kill myself on the sets. 

But I can't. So, I'll take what I can get and be happy with the progress I do make. 

Eating out is tough.  I'm not sure how reliable that chinese buffet MFP is.  You can definitely make better choices and poorer choices.  I'm assuming that 'feast' leans more towards the poorer choices... 

Hopefully you can get out of the diet funk soon.  

• Like 1

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero

Level: 19 Ranger | STR 36 | DEX 29 | STA  35 | CON  43 | WIS 35 | CHA 23|

Spoiler

Epic Quest Avatar Lifting profile | D&D Character Sheet

Accountibillibuddies: Doodlies setting the world alight

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Current Challenge: Shello Finally Fitnesses (sort of) and does some other things

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Starting weight = 290.4; Current weight = 269; Total pounds lost: 21.4