After fending off an alien hoard, James is back for round two!

JamesCoombs

So, I failed the last challenge.

On week four my girlfriend got very sick :(, then on week five I got sick, then on week six, while still ill, uni assignments starting to come due. Yay.

The goal was to put on three kgs of lean mass.

I went from 65kg to 65.8kg--apparently I STILL wasn't eating enough--and back down to 63.5kg at the height of my illness. Since then I've struggled back up to 65.5kg so I'm starting this challenge 0.5kg ahead of last time.

The goal this time is still to put on three kgs of lean mass.

My subgoals are:

Exercise six times a week -- 29/36 = +1 str (80%)

Eat four meals a day, averaging 3,000ish calories a day, up 500kal from last challenge --  38/42 = +1 con (90%)

Stretch for 10 minutes, six times a week -- 29/36 = +1 dex (80%)

Apparently, getting through three weeks of the first challenge does qualify me for level one! Yay :D. The challenge now is to get through the last three weeks and graduate from the starting zone.

So my current stats are as follows:

Str: 1

Dex: 0

Stam: 0

Con: 3

Wis: 4 <--- MASSIVE bookworm

Cha: 2

My life sub goal will be to read a minimum four papers a day for uni, six days a week -- 29/36 = +1/2 wis (80%) ....

...until the end of week three. Then I have exams and fly in lectures. I'll think of a new goal for the other 1/2 wis point at the start of week four. Obviously I don't get the point if I don't complete both wis goals.

Heres to the next six weeks!

Ideal weight: 78kg | starting weight: 63.8kg

LeadVonE - Level 1 Warrior

Past challenges: 1 2 3 4

Your goal of putting on lean mass reminds me of this chapter of the 4 hour body by Tim Ferriss called from geek to freak. If you have not read it, it is a good book. I can't vouch for the method, but reading can't hurt.

Some of the info was released online, but I'd still recommend going for the book.

"Unfocused" Wizard // Rationalist of the order of Bayes

Lvl 5 Assassin. Lvl 33 Jack of all trades. 7 STR|6 DEX|7 STA|7 CON|16 WIS|8 CHA

Current challenge Wizard in the making: ero san's continuing road of magic

My drawings Sketchbook, Other afiliations The Loft

Your goal of putting on lean mass reminds me of this chapter of the 4 hour body by Tim Ferriss called from geek to freak. If you have not read it, it is a good book. I can't vouch for the method, but reading can't hurt.

Some of the info was released online, but I'd still recommend going for the book.

Ye, I've also read that book :-). It's a good one, although Tim did leave out some important information about that particular stunt. Namely, the studies it's based on, and indeed his own application of it, were done on individuals who had once been at the desired weight and muscle mass and were regaining muscle they'd lost. From what I can tell, the research seems to suggest this is a lot easier than building that muscle for the first time, much like how putting on fat is easier once you've been fat once (although I've no idea if the mechanisms are the same). I lost a bit of respect for Tim after that. It annoys me that when I now read his stuff I have to wonder if he's leaving out important information and if I need to fact check it.

How are you splitting up your routine to gain mass? Six workout days a week -- some kind of split that includes lots of isolation movements?

Good luck!

Hi jengetsit!

Kinda ye,

Here's my current workouts:

Chest:

• Push ups 15x3
  • Dumbbell benchpress 10x3
  • Dumbbell flyers 10x3

Back and Shoulders:

• Shoulder press 10x3
  • Bent over row 10x3
  • Deadlift 8x3

Legs:

• Glute bridge 10x1 (to activate dem glutes)
  • Bodyweight squat 20x3
  • Front squat 10x3
  • Barbell squat 10x3

Glutes: (Yesh I have a dedicated glutes day at the moment, doing Bret Contreras' beginning program) 

• Glute bridge 10x3
  • Bird dog 10x3
  • Fire hydrants 10x3

Arms:

• Barbell bicep curl 10x3
  • Skullcrushers 10x3
  • Elastic tricep pushdown 10x3

Abs

• Plank 1x3
  • Ab roller 3x10
  • V-up 3x10

So, did my workout this morning.

https://www.fitocracy.com/entry/37510909/

Main points

• Not used to doing pushups in sets. Managed a fair 15 on the first set but then it dropped to seven on the next two.
  • Realised I'm using too much weight on the dumbbell bench press. When I focused on using my actual chest muscles to push dat weight I could only manage five reps with 14kg, note that the max weight I've benched is 21kg on each hand. I dropped the weight to 10kg and hit failure at eight reps.
  • A form check after my flyer sets showed I was extending my arms too much to the sides and putting too much strain on my shoulders. I could defiantly feel my right shoulder during my sets and not in a good way.

Ye, I've also read that book :-). It's a good one, although Tim did leave out some important information about that particular stunt. Namely, the studies it's based on, and indeed his own application of it, were done on individuals who had once been at the desired weight and muscle mass and were regaining muscle they'd lost. From what I can tell, the research seems to suggest this is a lot easier than building that muscle for the first time, much like how putting on fat is easier once you've been fat once (although I've no idea if the mechanisms are the same). I lost a bit of respect for Tim after that. It annoys me that when I now read his stuff I have to wonder if he's leaving out important information and if I need to fact check it.

this happens so much in the health and fitness industry, getting bigger or smaller from scratch is a lot more difficult than getting BACK to that position, both physically and mentally.

Glad to see you're back for round two, although the illness of challenge one sucks

out of interest what is your plan for your exercise sessions?

this happens so much in the health and fitness industry, getting bigger or smaller from scratch is a lot more difficult than getting BACK to that position, both physically and mentally.

Glad to see you're back for round two, although the illness of challenge one sucks

out of interest what is your plan for your exercise sessions?

Hi Daniel, thanks for the welcome back.

Ye it defiantly slowed me down for a while.

In regards to my exercise sessions, did you mean this.... or something else?

Hi jengetsit!

Kinda ye,

Here's my current workouts:

Chest:

• Push ups 15x3
  • Dumbbell benchpress 10x3
  • Dumbbell flyers 10x3

Back and Shoulders:

• Shoulder press 10x3
  • Bent over row 10x3
  • Deadlift 8x3

Legs:

• Glute bridge 10x1 (to activate dem glutes)
  • Bodyweight squat 20x3
  • Front squat 10x3
  • Barbell squat 10x3

Glutes: (Yesh I have a dedicated glutes day at the moment, doing Bret Contreras' beginning program) 

• Glute bridge 10x3
  • Bird dog 10x3
  • Fire hydrants 10x3

Arms:

• Barbell bicep curl 10x3
  • Skullcrushers 10x3
  • Elastic tricep pushdown 10x3

Abs

• Plank 1x3
  • Ab roller 3x10
  • V-up 3x10

hey, James… I noticed you haven't updated in a couple of days. We can't allow another incomplete challenge, can we?

• Like 1

"Unfocused" Wizard // Rationalist of the order of Bayes

Lvl 5 Assassin. Lvl 33 Jack of all trades. 7 STR|6 DEX|7 STA|7 CON|16 WIS|8 CHA

Current challenge Wizard in the making: ero san's continuing road of magic

My drawings Sketchbook, Other afiliations The Loft

hey, James… I noticed you haven't updated in a couple of days. We can't allow another incomplete challenge, can we?

Ye indeed,

Fell off the bandwagon for the last five days :( But back on it today.

Did a basic top half workout today to let those muscles know it's back to work time.

dumbbell benchpress

overhead barbell press

bent over barbell row

Planning to follow up with a bottom half workout tomorrow,

barbell squat

barbell hipthrust

deadlift

Currently at 66.3kg so just about on track with my main quest :)

• Like 1

Finally figured out how to do hip thrusts with the equipment I have at home!

I can't use my normal bench because its too high... so...

The setup involves an ikea stool with a towel over it, a short barbell wedged at the back, going all the way to the wall, and supported by my other bench, all to stop the stool moving backwards while I thrust. Now I just need to get me some 20kg plates so I can roll the bar over my legs without my knees threatening to leave.

I'd upload a picture but I can't figure out how to do that at the moment  :nightmare:

Also, hiking back from the shops with 20kg plates is awesome core workout  :playful:

• Like 1

Yes, hack your way to success!  Don't let the little things hold you back!

How's the dietary part of your challenge going?  Have you been hitting your target meals / calories?  Are you counting?

Following for the rest of the challenge.

Texelsaur ~ Level 2 Argonian Ranger

STR: 1 | CON: 3 | DEX: 1 | WIS: 4 | STA: 3 | CHA: 1

Current Challenge

---

Programming enthusiast | GitHub

Yes, hack your way to success!  Don't let the little things hold you back!

How's the dietary part of your challenge going?  Have you been hitting your target meals / calories?  Are you counting?

Following for the rest of the challenge.

Hi Texelsaur! Good to have you with us!

Ye I'm sort of counting. At the moment I have only three meals that I prepare at home, one breakfast smoothie that clocks in at 1,100 cal, one lunchtime sandwich that clocks in at 750 cal, and one dinnertime pile'o grub that clocks in at 1,000 cal. I've been eating these everyday (with one or two exceptions when I substitute one of these meals for eating out or add one of the eating out meals to the already large big three meals).

Did my scale check this morning... clocked in at 67kg! This may be a high sigma measurement but I suspect the seven day moving average (if I were tracking that, which wouldn't be a bad idea) is defiantly going in the right direction :)

Did my lower body last night. https://www.fitocracy.com/entry/37819486/

Hip thrusts, squats, and deadlifts. Lifts of kings. :)

Still feel like the hip thrusts aren't heavy enough but still don't have the 20kg plates yet to give me that extra inch. Considering I have exams in a few days I probably wouldn't get them for about a week.

Also, been shopping around the local gyms. Thinking about getting a membership at one but, considering I have most of what I need at home, the price would have to be very reasonable. Only things I'm really missing for my current goals is a squat rack and a rowing machine... oh and some 20kg plates I guess :)

That must be one hell of a smoothie.  I haven't dipped my toes into blended shakes and smoothies yet, even though that would probably be a game-changer in my battle to gain mass.

Your comment about moving average is making my data nerve itch.  I think you just seeded my first node.js project idea :)

Texelsaur ~ Level 2 Argonian Ranger

STR: 1 | CON: 3 | DEX: 1 | WIS: 4 | STA: 3 | CHA: 1

Current Challenge

---

Programming enthusiast | GitHub

Hey there! I really like your goals and you seem to be making good progress on them. I saw your thread tagged with Rangers, and that could be a great place for your next challenge. We would love to have you. But you might also fit well with the warriors. There are plenty of lifters in both places, including people doing strong/heavy lifts, but I think there are more people in warriors focused on gaining muscle mass. When you get some time, it would be good to check out some threads in both groups.

Just curious, do you also track body fat in some way?

• Like 1

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

I forgot to mention...you asked about posting pictures. I'm not an expert, but here's what I know. You can just paste them in, but they come out really small and weird. The other way I know to do it is to upload them to a picture hosting site like tinypic.com (I'm not advertising that site, it's just the only one I know...sometimes they make you watch a short ad, but otherwise it's free). You upload your picture, size it for message boards. The site will give you a web address (something like "direct link for layouts"). Paste that address into your post.

If you want to show a picture you find on the web, you can just click the picture button above (the one that looks like a tree) and paste in the website.

Now your job is to help other people who have the same problem :-)

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

Hey there! I really like your goals and you seem to be making good progress on them. I saw your thread tagged with Rangers, and that could be a great place for your next challenge. We would love to have you. But you might also fit well with the warriors. There are plenty of lifters in both places, including people doing strong/heavy lifts, but I think there are more people in warriors focused on gaining muscle mass. When you get some time, it would be good to check out some threads in both groups.

Just curious, do you also track body fat in some way?

Hi Xena!

Yeah, my original goal was to join the rangers after graduating from the recruits and I certainly intend to eventually end up with you on a permanent basis. But until I reach my target weight I'll probably be more focused on gaining mass and the warriors may be a better fit for me. We'll have to see :)

I don't really have a way to track body fat at the moment apart from the mirror test. If it becomes an issue I'll start tracking it but at the moment just putting on any kind of weight is a challenge and as long as I'm lifting heavy things that keep getting heavier my assumption is at least some of the weight gain is muscle :P . I also keep an eye on the rate of my weight increase, if its too damn fast I assume too much is fat. A few years back I managed to reach 68kg in quite a short period of time. Looking back, I'm pretty sure a fair amount of that was fat.

--------------------------

Also, quick update on progress...

Today and tomorrow are exam days! yay.

I'm still eating well but my workouts are on two day hiatus while I fight academic dragons. RAH!

That must be one hell of a smoothie.  I haven't dipped my toes into blended shakes and smoothies yet, even though that would probably be a game-changer in my battle to gain mass.

Your comment about moving average is making my data nerve itch.  I think you just seeded my first node.js project idea :)

Ye, smoothies are awesome. Best is when you're in a rush and you make your smoothie and just take it with you. Can't do that with most breakfasts. I've also had days when I ate my 750 calorie sandwich first and followed it up just a few hours later with my 1,100 calorie smoothie. Only possible when the smoothie is sufficiently liquid though, so an extra half cup of milk helps :)

Any sneak peak details on the new project?  :playful:

good luck on you exams mate

Thanks man! All done now :) Went quite OK I thought. Have to wait now to see if the professors also thought so.

Celebrated this morning with a good upperbody workout.

Accidentally loaded my bar with 10kg plates instead of 5kg plates for the shoulder press and achieved a new PR :tongue:

At first I was like, holy damn I must be tired... then I was like... oh.

https://www.fitocracy.com/entry/37943323/

• Like 1

Awesome!  OHP is my archnemesis.

I feel the same way about the squat :)

OK, just watched

on ankle flexibility

I knew I had bad ankle flexibility before but now I have a definite measure of just how bad it is. Something I can work towards improving.

The guy also has a selection of exercises to improve the mobility of the ankle. Going to start adding these to my routines, especially before doing my lower body workouts.