Lil_Red_Devil battles the fatty winter blues...

Lil_Red_Devil

I'm reviving this storyline because it fits with where my SO and I are going at the moment, with a few tweaks...

Mission Statement:

I was back on the job and raring to go! Two months of sitting on my backside without thwarting a single hedgehog was making me downright twitchy, so my commander agreed to send me along on a team mission to test out my abilities before sending me out solo. It felt like being sent back to the kiddie table, but a team mission was better than no mission at all so I grabbed my stuff and met the rest of the crew just as the sun went down. I recognized all of their faces but some of their looks were far from welcoming. It was clear that, while some of them were quite glad to see me back in the game, others had their doubts. If I was being honest, I had my own doubts too...a lot of them. But there was only one way to find out, so I put on the most casual face I could muster and strapped into my gear. "Stick close to me, just in case anything goes wrong." I turned, ready to bite the head off of whomever decided that I would need rescuing, and came face-to-face with a wall of reddish-brown beard. My eyes drifted up to take in the friendly face of Squirrel, a veteran climber with a heart of gold and a deadly blow-dart gun. Some people in the village were convinced that Squirrel had spent too much time in the trees and had started to go a bit feral, but as his green eyes took in my "ready for a fight" response, he just raised an eyebrow and smiled (I think, it's hard to tell under that much facial hair). How he managed to climb through tight spaces with that enormous beard and never get tangled was a subject of much speculation and amusement around the climbing crews, but we all knew that no matter where we landed, Squirrel would find us. I let out a breath of relief, along with my built up hostility, and smiled back. He clapped me on the shoulder and shouted, "Let's go!" We scurried into the branches and made our way towards a new hedgehog village that our scouts had spotted earlier in the day. My grip strength was definitely less than before, but I just managed to keep up with the crew without looking too pathetic. As we reached the edge of the camp, we paired off and moved around the outskirts to gather intel. The commander wanted to know size, population, goings-on, prisoners (if any), and all that tiresome stuff. Squirrel and I worked our way around to a large hut just outside the main ring which was being guarded by 4 hedgehogs. It was unusual to find a hut outside the main circle, as hedgehogs maintained tight boundaries around their villages to keep scouts out and prisoners in. The hut also had elaborate decorations and paintings all over it, which contrasted sharply with the plain mud and grass huts in the rest of the village. Squirrel's eyes seemed to spark in the firelight, and with a nod and a nudge we moved in for a closer look. As we approached, the front door of the hut began to open, but at that exact moment the guards turned towards our tree with their noses held in the air. Growling, they raised the alarm and the whole village became a surging swarm of spiked bodies. "Abort! Abort!" shouted Squirrel as we raced higher into the tree. Once we were out of scent range, we made our way back home. When we arrived, I was met with even more unfriendly glances and several raised questions to Squirrel about what had happened. "Guards spotted us, that's all", but he and I both knew he was lying. As I looked around at all of the crew I couldn't help but take in their lean physiques, and the unfortunate reality that mine was carrying substantially more fat, which hedgehogs could smell from miles away. We reported back to the commander what we saw, and after everyone had left I requested to be taken off mission duty for a while longer. "Trouble with your climbing?" he asked. "No, sir, trouble with this" and I slapped my abdomen. "It nearly got us all caught tonight, sir, and I won't put other people at risk because my body's gone a bit soft. As soon as I have it back under control, then I'll be ready." He gave me an appraising look, then nodded in agreement. "Very well", he said, "keep me posted. I need you back out there as soon as possible."

The Challenge Goals:

No more excuses, no more hiding behind excessive work commitments, and no more giving in to the "I'm too tired" demons!  I'm still too squidgy and the shroud of winter gloom is really hard to get past, but the other half is now taking up the fitness goals as well, so at least I'm no longer fighting alone.  We are both committing to eating healthier and getting back to a regular exercise routine with goals and all that other helpful stuff, so fingers crossed this works because my backside needs some trimming.  I'm also going to try out the points system that others are using to track their goals, as I think that will be easier for me to be clear on what I have achieved each week.

1) I will track my diet daily - the goal is to keep my net daily intake at or below 1250 calories a day while still eating at least 70g of protein a day, taking into account calories burned during exercise. To do this, I will be tracking on the my fitness pal app (it's amazing!) and will post the results here to keep myself accountable.  1 point for every day that I track, so at the end of the challenge:

40+ points = A

35-40 points = B

30-35 points = C

2) I will complete at least 30 minutes of exercise 5 days a week - my goal during the exercise is mostly strength training to get myself ready for climbing in the spring.  At a minimum, I would like to be able to do a pull-up by my first LARP event in April (any tips on getting to this without spending a fortune on resistance bands will get you a free hug), and ultimately I want to work towards being able to do a muscle-up, both for the climbing benefit and the coolness factor.  1 point for every 30 minutes of exercise completed, so at the end of the challenge:

25+ points = A

20-24 points = B

15-20 points = C

3) I will track and report my body measurements and body fat percentage every week - I don't want to set myself an exact weight loss goal because I'm more concerned about my overall fitness, but I know that these measurements will give me an idea of how I'm doing and I need the impetus to track them regularly so I'm not reliant on a scale.  1 point for each reported set of measurements, so at the end of the challenge:

6 points = A

5 points = B

4 points = C

Life Goal) I will complete 1 written lesson and at least 1 hour of audio lessons a week from my Spanish language system - The other half got me a home learning Spanish course with CDs and books and all that jazz, so I'm going to make use of the time I spend on the road and listen to the CD lessons in the car while I'm travelling for work and complete at least 1 written lesson to help cement things in my brain.  I will get 1 point for each written lesson and 1 point for each hour of audio lesson, so at the end of the challenge:

12+ points = A

10-11 points = B

8-9 points = C

So there they are, my goals for this challenge! Hopefully at the end of it I will be leaner, meaner, and more fluent :) Hasta luego!

• Like 2

Level 2 Hedgehog

LRD's Daily Battle Log

Previous Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Epic Quest

"Even the smallest candle burns brighter in the dark."

I don't know your height/weight, but 1200 calories might be low for that much exercise! If it's working for you, and you feel good, fine! I know personally that if I consume 1500-1600 per day, I have the best success with weight loss, and I've determined this by tracking my loss rates at different intake levels. If I eat fewer calories, my loss rate falls to a crawl!

Just food for thought!

• Like 2

Lolavictrola

Amazon Adventurer in Training

STR 1 | STA 12 | DEX 1 | CON 11 | WIS 3 | CHA 16 -- 44 PT Total

My Epic Quest   ::   Current Challenge  

I LOVED your story. The hedgehogs are coming! The hedgehogs are coming!

Tracking = awesome! 1250 calories = starvation, for pretty much anybody. Eat a bit more and you will find it so much more sustainable! You generally have to eat enough to maintain your goal weight, or you could over-stress your body and rebound majorly. I've done it, a lot of people I know have done it... eventually I lost all the weight I wanted to with eating between 1700 and 2500 calories, and I think mostly eat on the higher end of that, now (though I don't track every day any more) and I've maintained for 2 years.

Pull ups - I eventually got my first one by doing negatives. I had a bar and I jumped up/stepped up to it then lowered myself down. I did sets of these, like 5/6/5/5/8 and increasing them regularly (I've got a progression somewhere if that would help). The other trick Steve writes about is doing it where you start off horizontal and pull yourself up to a table. I'd have to find the video - its hard to explain in writing!

Good luck with the Spanish and, well, everything!

• Like 2

| STR 15 | DEX 14 | STA 14 | CON 10.5 | WIS 11 | CHA 7 | Level 5

Ocelot's Dossier - Battle Log | Springing into my Sixth Challenge!

1250 calories sounds REALLY low.  Be careful with that.

For pull -ups, at what stage are you now?  Can you hold a flex hang (jump up and stay at the top with bent arms)?  Or do a negative?  If you can at all do a negative (with a semi-slow descent rather than a fast drop), then I'd just find monkey bars, tree branches, or whatever and working on those.   You might want to work on scapular retractions, too (like this).  A lot of people get stuck at the bottom of the pull-up because they don't know how to activate their lats, and the scapular retractions help with that.   A series of progressions are on this page:  Good luck with your goals!

• Like 1

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

Ok let me clarify my tracking goal, as everyone seems quite concerned.  The 1250 is NET calories, so after exercise is taken into account.  In an average day I will be consuming around 1500 calories, but 30 minutes of typical exercise will burn around 250-300 calories, so the net calories will be around 1250.  I have done this before with no ill effects, so I'm not terribly concerned.  Given that I'm 31, 5'4" tall and weigh 147 lbs, my metabolism is not going at warp speed anymore so my maintenance is lower than average to start with.  I really do appreciate the concern, honest :) but I'm confident my body can take it.  This also gives me the flexibility to eat a bit more in a given day, as long as I balance it out with suitable exercise, so I don't have to beat myself up if I feel like having a treat while out on date night with the SO.

Ocelot and Nymeria:  Thanks for the ideas!  I can do negatives, though not many before I start to lose control.  I'll probably start with 5 sets of 3 and try to build up from there.  I will also definitely give the scapular retractions a go, as getting started from the bottom is my biggest hold-up. *BIG HUGS*

Beginning Stats - did all my pinching and measuring this morning, so here's where I am right now:

Chest = 36"

Waist = 29"

Hips = 37.5"

(The one to watch is my waist, as I tend to shift weight on and off my mid-section most readily)

Body fat percentage measurements = 18.74, 22.58

Average body fat percentage = 20.66

I am testing 2 pinching methods for comparison.  The first is my standard method, which is pinched to a set pressure detection, i.e. it feels like a pinch but doesn't hurt, but this is likely giving a lower reading.  The second is taking the reading when the callipers first click into place, which seems to exert no pressure at all on the area so I suspect there is some dead space increasing the measurement.  The true measure is probably somewhere in the middle, hence the average.

marshmallow-hedgehog.jpg

• Like 2

Level 2 Hedgehog

LRD's Daily Battle Log

Epic Quest

1500 is a tiny bit less scary sounding, but I would literally die on 1175 net! Working out to 'win back' calories has been my downfall in the past, but that doesn't mean it won't work for you. Just mind how you go, there are definite pits to fall into, I know cause I've been there. Good protein intake though, yay protein. As long as you are listening to your body, not getting feverishly hungry or faint, you are doing fine.

Woot for negatives, I definitely swear by them, have fun with them!

| STR 15 | DEX 14 | STA 14 | CON 10.5 | WIS 11 | CHA 7 | Level 5

Ocelot's Dossier - Battle Log | Springing into my Sixth Challenge!

Jan 6 report:

Gross intake = 1525 calories

Exercise (30 minutes of calisthenics) = 272 calories

Net calories = 1253

Protein intake = 73 grams

Looking good so far :)  I was a bit sad that I didn't go to the gym and had to do a body weight workout at home, but with company about it's easier to fit in training while I'm prepping dinner than to leave them on their own for an hour lol.

Level 2 Hedgehog

LRD's Daily Battle Log

Epic Quest

Sorry for the radio silence folks, but you'll see why in a second.

Week 1 summary:

10906342_10155036424485551_4268728972961

Yup, on the drive home on Friday I was in the white Toyota.  One second I was slamming on my brakes to avoid hitting someone stopped on the M6 without their hazards on (they exist for a reason people), and the next I was no longer horizontal.  I don't know how close the Mercedes wedged under me was or how fast he was going, but needless to say he did NOT leave himself enough time to stop.  I'm currently snuggled up with pain pills, Deep Heat, and a microwaveable cow doing regular range of motion exercises to get my neck to un-kink, but other than that and a couple of bruises I'm ok.  I'm visiting the doctor on Monday so he might give me some stronger pills (OTC codeine is doing a big fat nothing).  So with that in mind, let's assess how things went - 

Monday: took measurements, 30 minutes of exercise and tracked my food = 3 points

Tuesday: 30 minutes of exercise and tracked my food = 2 points

Wednesday: tracked my food = 1 point

Thursday: tracked my food = 1 point

Friday: tracked my food = 1 point

Saturday: tracked my food = 1 point

I'm going to give myself a couple of courtesy points on exercise because I didn't have the energy on Wed and Thurs due to being out on farm getting samples from sheep and walking the fields, so while not formal "exercise" I wasn't sitting in the office either.  I also got myself out of the pity-party long enough to go to work on Saturday night at the track which helped loosen up my neck. 

So in total:

Goal 1 = 6 points

Goal 2 = 4 points

Goal 3 = 1 point

Life goal = 2 points for 2 audio lessons (introductions and members of the family)

Not the stellar start I was hoping for, but my neck is loosening up a bit so I plan to continue on and shift my exercise goals for the moment to be more yoga based, and while I will continue to track my food and protein (hit my 70g goal all days :) ), the net calorie goal is going to have to be side-lined for the moment as getting better is the new priority.  I am still committed to eating healthier and probably staying around the 1500-1600 calorie mark each day, but I'm not going to panic if I'm not perfect at it.  Hope everyone is well, and remember, leave plenty of space when driving! *hugs*

Level 2 Hedgehog

LRD's Daily Battle Log

Epic Quest

Went to the GP yesterday and he said I've got some whiplash injuries but he's confident I'll recover with time.  So now I have prescription pain meds (hurray!) to use as needed, which definitely helped make me more comfortable last night and I was able to get some decent sleep.  

Goal updates:

Sunday - Had company over, so going out to buy groceries was the big excursion of the day, and I'm ok with that.  Didn't track my food.

Monday - Tracked food with 1740 calories (curse you, bedtime tummy grumbles!) but 77g of protein so YAY!, walked to the GP and the pharmacy then home so got in 30 minutes of walking as quickly as I could comfortably manage.

Now begins the insurance saga!  I have to contact the work insurance about the car so they can claim the damages off the other driver.  I also need to sort out what to do for my injury claim, as I've never made one before (this is the first injury I've had that wasn't my fault, lol).  If anyone has any experience with this in the UK, I'd be very grateful :)

Level 2 Hedgehog

LRD's Daily Battle Log

Epic Quest

I hope your recovery is progressing well, and that insurance is not too much of a hassle.

• Like 1

*Ninja hugs: you can't see them, but they're there."

*looks around* WTF?  :confused-new: I shall have to learn this skill from a great master...

Mission Update:

Back in first aid......again!  At least this time it wasn't my fault, but Bear still seems pretty upset.  The commander also gave the new recruit who dropped me a thorough lashing about keeping your eyes on your climbing partner's line and NOT on the cute butt walking by.  If the recruit had been paying attention and taking up my slack, I wouldn't have gotten my arm tangled in it when I lost my grip.  The few feet of additional drop gave everything a good tug in the wrong direction, but thankfully nothing was broken or dislocated.  The doctors still insisted on giving me an entire bag of pain pills, but at least they let me walk out after checking me over.  Now it's a pile of paperwork and more time spent recovering.  This is starting to get old, but at least Bear is better prepared this time and is helping me stay active so I can get back to my full strength as quickly as possible.  I was surprised to hear the doctors commenting on how my fitness and strength probably saved me from suffering worse injury and how I was lucky to be in such good shape.  For doctors who see climbers every day, I suppose I was expecting them to notice that I was a bit out of condition and blame that for my injuries (I know I certainly did).  Maybe I'm not as soft as I feared I was....

Once again, my apologies for the delays in updates for this challenge but it's going to be stressful until this all gets resolved so bear with me :)

Goal 1:  I've been doing well with tracking my diet though my calorie intake has been more at maintenance levels than weight loss (averaging around 1700 a day).  My protein intake is averaging around 65, so a bit low but I'm ok with that since I am still making a conscious effort to eat more protein every day rather than going into default "Carbs are easy!" mode.

Points earned last week: 6

Goal 2:  Lots of walking and a bit of yoga thrown in for range of motion, but the stress has made me a bit inconsistent about execution.  To be improved this week (hopefully)

Points earned last week: 3

Goal 3: Didn't happen, but I think I am going to abandon this goal because I've had a change of priority.  Honestly, hearing both my doctor and my physio praise me for my physical fitness level has given me the confidence to believe the measurements that I've taken and believe that I am at a totally acceptable body fat level.  No I don't have massively defined abs, but clearly I give the impression of being physically active and fit when I walk into a room.  I may not be able to fit into all of my dresses, but I'm starting to think that this is more to do with a change in muscle than fat.  Most of my dresses were bought after I lost a fair amount of weight and was doing mostly long-distance running, so I looked like this - 

34701_10150262249400551_7853589_n.jpg?oh

Slim - yes, but no where near as strong as I am now...

1375682_10154700383290551_84324299991280

Hello, arm muscles!

So I think I'm going to stop trying to make myself into something that just probably isn't possible.  I don't think I can manage to keep the strength I have now and get back to that level of slim everywhere, and I'd rather be the strong climber than the slim runner.  So for the rest of the challenge I'm going to be banging that mantra into my head so that for the next one I can hopefully find the inner strength to go buy some new clothes to accommodate my muscles.

Life goal: Completed the 2 written lessons that went along with my audio lessons from last week to see what I remembered, and I did pretty well!

Points earned last week: 2

That's all for now, gotta get on the road for work, but keep up the good fight everyone!!

• Like 1

Level 2 Hedgehog

LRD's Daily Battle Log

Epic Quest

Good update! I am on board with you in regard to dropping the bodyfat goal. You are FAR from overweight, and you definitely look stronger and more fit than when you were "thin." (imho, you are still thin). I have also had to adjust to the idea that I need to carry an extra 5-10 lbs compared to what I weighed for a decade. I am happy with it, though, because I feel stronger and can do more.

• Like 1

Stress monsters are evil :(

monster-by-autumn-bliss.jpg

Spending so much time driving between locations means that I never seem to have much time for doing data entry, so it keeps piling up.  While I know I'm not really that far behind (one or two solid days would get through it), I hate seeing piles of work staring at me, like some physical embodiment of my fear that I'm not doing well enough at my job.  My boss says otherwise, and seems very happy with my work levels, but it's hard to kill the voice in my head reminding me that there are still things I'm not getting done immediately.  GGRRR!!!!  

In other news, tracked my food while on the road and did well, but stress is stealing my motivation to exercise (that and my room is tiny).  I hope this will change in February when my visits become less intense.  Just keep your head above water until then, little dwarf.....

tumblr_mo8owy0yex1s5t5rro1_500.gif

Level 2 Hedgehog

LRD's Daily Battle Log

Epic Quest

Week 3 summary:

Right-o, so stress is evil and makes things seem impossible, so my results aren't great but as previously stated I know this state of things won't last forever.  

Goal 1: Track my diet - 5 days of this, so 5 points earned.

Goal 2: 30 minutes of exercise 5 days a week - yea-no, but I did make it to see the physio for 2 sessions and my shoulders are starting to loosen up, plus he gave me some stretches to do so I'll give myself a mercy point for doing those at least. 1 point earned.

Goal 3: Scrapped, but in related news I found the motivation to go shopping and got a new dress that doesn't squeeze the air from my lungs or make my pectorals look like fat rolls, so huzzah!

Life Goal: Didn't have the focus for this one this week, so no points.

I know this state won't last forever, which is something to cling to.  If I can just get through this week, then the SO is taking me away for a 3 day weekend at a spa and I'll start my much easier work schedule in Feb.  Until then, physio, meditation and a screwed on smile :D Just 4 more days......just 4 more days.......

Level 2 Hedgehog

LRD's Daily Battle Log

Epic Quest

Week 3 summary:

Right-o, so stress is evil and makes things seem impossible, so my results aren't great but as previously stated I know this state of things won't last forever.  

First and foremost, you are already winning with this statement!

Great job on tracking your food while handling the stress...and yes, stress is a mean lil fucking monster that needs to be stomped on!  And it appears that even though he is stalking you, you are handling him better than you think.

Congrats on finding a new outfit that you feel good in, I know how gratifying that can be.

Lastly, I am insanely jealous of your upcoming 3 day spa weekend, I hope it is amazing and helps finally quash that stress beast for you!!

• Like 2

“It’s the sensible, logical thing to do, of course, which is why we don’t do it.” -Tanis, Dragons of Autumn Twilight

"Hope is the denial of reality. It is the carrot dangled before the draft horse to keep him plodding along in a vain attempt to reach it." - Raistlin - Dragons of Autumn Twilight

Current Challenge

Week 4 Summary:  Epic fail, but that wasn't entirely unexpected...

I was on the road for 4 days straight and then had a weekend away that thankfully brought my sanity back to manageable levels.  I'm lucky I didn't pull my hair out and/or start murdering things (only deserving ones, I promise!).  SO yeah, last week has been written off as just didn't happen.  On a plus side, my physio seems to be going well and this week is off to a good start with only 2 days of travel and no samples to collect! :)  I've also gotten the ok to start mild exercise again, so let's hope that pumps me up a bit.  Watch this space......hopefully it will be filled with less stress and more awesome!!!!

cthulhu_kitty.jpg

Level 2 Hedgehog

LRD's Daily Battle Log

Epic Quest

Sorry to hear about that week that didn't happen, but so glad that you have been cleared for some exercise!

Week 5 summary:  Slight improvement, but not as much as hoped, though potentially hit on why....

Goal 1: I tracked my diet for 4 days last week and kept my protein levels up so yay, 4 points!

Goal 2: Tried to make the exercise thing happen, but that just flopped entirely.  But, on reflection with the SO, I think we've sussed why and are addressing it this week.  Essentially, we have been trying to go to the gym together so we can help each other out, but our body clocks are just to fundamentally different.  I'm a morning person who will happily pop out of bed at 6 am, eat a light breakfast, then change and go for a run.  He, on the other hand, can't get his body to do anything active before about 9 am.  To try and work with this, I've been trying to go to the gym and go running with him in the evenings, but it just isn't working.  Once I finish at work and drive 30-60 minutes to get home (curse you, traffic!) I am just done.  I have the energy to cook a healthy meal and then I flop into a puddle to recover.  Therefore, we have reworked our schedules so that we exercise separately, so we'll see if that helps.  I made it to the gym this morning and feel great so that's a good sign!

Goal 3: Removed, but I have forked out to have one of my suits tailored so it fits me better, so YAY!

Goal 4:  Less time in the car led to less motivation to put in the disk, but I've got longer drives this week so I'll try to finish strong.

This won't be my most successful challenge, but I've at least held on rather than just giving up (which I wanted to, multiple times).  Here's hoping for a better final week :)

Level 2 Hedgehog

LRD's Daily Battle Log

Epic Quest

Hooray for persistence! I think that sticking with things when we want to quit is sometimes the most challenging goal. And here you are!

I am so glad that you figured out what might need to change to make your workout routine easier to stick to. My husband and I also have very different body clocks & styles, and we still sometimes try to set schedules without honoring it. It never works as well as when we do honor our individuality. :)

Here's to a great week 6!