Ambisagrus

Greetings, Druids (and other welcome guests)! This is my fourth challenge, I think...though I'm not really keeping track. It's been a little over a year since I joined NF, and it's been a good one, so I'm focusing more on enjoying this community. Welcome to my little thread. :)

This focus is threefold: maintenance, mindfulness, and music.

Maintenance:

I'm aiming to maintain the workout regimen that has been pretty successful to date, so that I continue to grow in strength, toughness, and flexibility.

Workout 6x per week:

3x strength (M-W-F)

3x cardio (T-Th-Sa)

Rest and recover:

Daily evening restorative yoga (M-Sa)

Sunday as a day of complete rest

Proper sleep (in bed 7.5 hours per night)

7606210_orig.jpg

Mindful Eating:

I eat like a starving wolf. And it's a little disconcerting, because I strive to be a gentleman in the truest sense, but when I sit down to eat all that goes away. I'm face down in the plate, elbows up, bare hands scrabbling for sustenance, until the plate is cleared in about 3 minutes.

That's all well and good, except that I am absolutely convinced that the way I eat is the primary contributor to my challenges with body composition. I'm at a decent weight for a 43 year old (6' 1" and 190 pounds), but those last few inches of excess fat on my torso (some is ok) are persistent. I think it's because I eat so fast that I overeat, and I don't pick my foods carefully enough. So I want to start working on slowing down, stopping when satisfied, and choosing better.

Practice the '5Ws and an H' of mindful eating as best I can in an institutional dining environment:

Who: I'll choose who to eat with when I enter the dining space, or eat alone.

What: I'll choose the most nutritious options that I'll enjoy eating.

Where: I'll pick a seat away from distractions (like the TV and loud talkers).

When: I'll eat at a set time each day.

Why: I'll remind myself before entering the dining hall that I'm eating for optimum health.

How: I'll take smaller bites, chew thoroughly, and swallow completely before the next bite.

messy-baby-176-e1396475370535.jpg?w=532&

Musical Growth:

I've recently re-discovered music (I used to sing in a band and played tuba for years), and have newly discovered that I f***ing love the bass guitar. I've been stifled creatively for a while, always putting some form of writing on challenge after challenge but never actually doing it. So I'm going to focus on musical growth this challenge, embracing my love of the bass and stoking the flame of creativity within me.

Daily practice: AT LEAST 15 minutes daily on bass basics.

PREFERABLY 30 minutes or more of basics + actual music

Weekly song: I'll try to learn one actual song per week.

12441_2_1.jpg

Points? Can suck it. I'll report in daily but I'm not doing math. Success will be defined by doing better than not, seeing some body comp improvement, and knowing some songs at the end of this. I think this one will be lots of fun! :very_drunk:

There you have it, friends. Let's get it on!

• Like 9

"Magic?" the old man replied, his raspy voice curling around the pipe like smoke,

"There's no such thing as that; not the way they mean...

There's sight, there's wisdom, and there's motion.

The rest is just...seeing what happens."

Looking forward to cheering you on.

I like the structure and outlook.

• Like 1

&,
Amazon of the Way

Gypsy Druid Paladin

Ranger Year 1: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 

Druid Year 2: 8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |Year 3: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |Year 4: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |Year 5: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |Year 6: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |Year 7: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |Year 8: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 |

Local Foods Guru | Financial Freedom Fighter | Minimalism Yoda | Smaug-Slayer
Heidi Chronicles My NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed | Amazon of Awesome | MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

:D

EDIT: There, now I have time to actually reply! I LOVE this challenge and Mindful eating is such a great concept :) I am the same way with food, I just limit the amount of food I put in front of me to begin with, to attempt to combat weight gain. 

I read something recently about a yogi master who realized he was gaining weight as he aged, and so his next meal he counted the number of bites he ate, and then for the next few weeks, he ate one less bite at each meal, and then two less and so on, until he found the point where he was satisfied and so he knew exactly how much to eat after that to not gain weight. I thought it was so simple, but with such a great result. 

• Like 2

Druid Assassin Halfling

:) Druid Ambassador :)

Level 16, Current Quest: Bekah Returns

Spoiler

Your life does not get better by chance. It gets better by change.

- Jim Rohn

Welcome to the druids!

Eating habits are always interesting.

We just spend to many meals in front of tv and computer to keep decent manners, right?

• Like 2

Fate whispers to the warrior: "You cannot withstand the storm."

The warrior whispers back:
 "
I am the storm."

Woohoo, bass guitar! You should probably post some sound files here of your progress. Or something. Just sayin'.

I don't think I can from where I am, but I can try! :)

• Like 2

"Magic?" the old man replied, his raspy voice curling around the pipe like smoke,

Love your goals :D I'd like to be able to play the bass as well. What kind of songs are you planning to learn?

I eat like a starving wolf.

I do this also! Habits built from only having 5 minutes to eat something while running around work, I guess. My first few pathetic attempts to curb this have so far not worked. But I haven't put my heart into it really because foooood. At least I'm getting better at scoffing the right types of food. 

Good luck on your challenge!

• Like 1

Stonie

They/Them

Currently reading: Good Omens by Terry Pratchet & Neil Gaiman

Currently playing: Outer Worlds (Xbox)

Current DnD character: A radio presenter who’s magical bardic weapon is a portable radio broadcaster’s kit

What kind of songs are you planning to learn?

Thanks, Teagarden. :) I think my rapid eating is the same -- a combination of habit and desire. Lol

I am going to learn rock songs, but I'm going to start with something simple. Maybe I'll go by decades, starting with the 50s in the first week and work my way up. So maybe an Elvis Presley song? That'll land me in the 2000s, but that works because I got old before 2010. :)

• Like 1

I read something recently about a yogi master who realized he was gaining weight as he aged, and so his next meal he counted the number of bites he ate, and then for the next few weeks, he ate one less bite at each meal, and then two less and so on, until he found the point where he was satisfied and so he knew exactly how much to eat after that to not gain weight. I thought it was so simple, but with such a great result. 

This sounds like wisdom. I'm not sure I have the presence of mind to count, but I'll give it a shot. :)

I can relate to your food goal.  It's hard!  For me, if something tastes really good, I feel like I need to eat as fast as I can before I feel too full to finish the deliciousness.

I also like how you'll be checking in daily instead of counting points.  I do like a grading system, but for me - if I keep a daily journal, I can see where I need to make improvements rather than worrying about an A grade for the week.  

Good luck to you!  

• Like 3
Spoiler

PREVIOUS CHALLENGES

2013: 6/1/13 - 7/24/13 - 9/15/13 - 11/6/13   2014: 1/5/142/19/14 - 4/9/14 - 6/6/14 - 7/24/14 - 9/11/14 - 11/5/14 

2015: 1/2/15 - 2/20/15 - 4/9/15 - 6/2/15 - 9/10/15 - 10/26/15   2016: 1/1/16 - 2/28/16 - 3/28/16 - 6/6/16 - 9/19/16 - 10/26/16 - 11/26/16   

2017: 1/1/17 - 9/17/17   2018: 1/1/18 - 2/5/18 - 8/13/18 - 11/26/18   2019: 1/7/19   2020: 9/13/20

Day One: (I'm 8 hours ahead of the US east coast)

Maintenance:

Ran 3.5 miles, 30 minutes

Missed evening yoga (got called to work)

About to go to sleep just in time for 7.5 hours...

Mindful eating:

Breakfast: got up late and ate a Lara bar, then had a cup of tea. Meh.

Lunch: Made 75% good selections, remembered to slow down about 1/3 of the way through it. Drank water.  Ate ice cream. ::sigh::

Dinner: Made good selections, ate intentionally. Drank water. Hmph.

Overall: Less caffeine than average, 4 cinnamon candies (dammit..they're in the office), good hydration. Could do better, though.

Music:

Did 20 minutes on basics but at some point drifted to actual songs, so maybe 18 minutes total.

Set out to learn "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" -- got the pattern down

And here's the silly part -- bass music is essentially one riff over and over and over again. It doesn't take a long time to learn the riff, but it does take some time to get the fingers to do it. I played it successfully a couple of times (played through it without stopping at a tempo approximating the actual song). I think it's a realistic goal to actually get those riffs down in a week, though.

The good news: I totally understood the structure of the riff. I think I could duplicate it with some thought on other songs, or in other keys. So I say this was a good day on the bass. Rock on, m*********er.

:)

• Like 4

Day Two:

Maintenance:

TRX (35 second sets, 18 exercises) + 30 minute bike

Made evening yoga -- the group did a 'choose your own adventure' that was pretty cool

In bed for 8 hours

Mindful eating:

Breakfast: Too much grain, but mindful...so ok

Lunch: Choose well, remembered mindfulness halfway through again...meh

Dinner: Options weren't great, but I'd say 75% good choices, and ate slowly. Good on this one.

Overall: Bette than day 1...still ate three cinnamon candies, though.

Music:

15 minutes of basics, 20 minutes of music

'Crazy Little Thing' was actually harder today. Either my hands were tired or I was concentrating more on getting my fingers to land properly on the frets. I kept getting a buzz on a few notes when my fingers would land mid-fret. So I slowed it down and tried to make each note sound like it should. On the whole, a fruitful practice day.

• Like 2

Daily practice: AT LEAST 15 minutes daily on bass basics.

PREFERABLY 30 minutes or more of basics + actual music

Weekly song: I'll try to learn one actual song per week.

I should join you in this.  I'm a classically trained singer...and trying to learn guitar and ukulele. :)  TALK TO ME ABOUT MUSIC!

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views.†- The Fourth Doctor

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...as is instant death.  Avada Kedavra, Sweetie...

Facebook | TwitterFitocracy

PhD Student - I/O Psychology

Can you sing and play at the same time? I find that bass is simple enough that I usually can, but...not all that well right now. :)

Day Three:

Maintenance:

Workout: Calisthenics (5x30 pushups, roll ups, air squats and 5x6 pull ups) + 30 minutes on the bike

Evening yoga was good - 30 minutes

Sleep was bad -- 6 hours

Mindfulness:

Breakfast: Good! I got up earlier than usual; good choices, no distractions

Lunch -- Lost my mind. Junk food; nom nom nom; candy bar x3

Dinner -- Back to good. Good choices, ate slowly, quit when pleasantly full

Overall -- no 'office' candy, but seriously pounded 3 candy bars after lunch.  ::sigh::

Music:

No practice today -- I tried to push it back in the schedule and it ended up falling off.

Day Four:

Maintenance:

Workout: 3.5 mile run on the treadmill -- 30 minutes

Evening yoga -- no, but it looks like Thursday is going to be a regular 'miss' for me due to band practice

Rest -- Stayed up until midnight watching "Snow Piercer"...then slept until 7:30. So, ok I guess...even though it was a bad decision...

Mindfulness:

Breakfast: Went well; I had an apple with peanut butter and some toast, mindfully eaten.

Lunch: I can't remember what I ate, but I know it was the best option available, mindfully eaten.

Dinner: Not a very diverse meal (salisbury steak and vegetable blend), but I don't feel I overconsumed.

Overall: Back to office candy x3. Not enough water & too much caffeine.

Music:

Practiced for an hour with the band...not a lot of basics, but a lot of basic music. It was fun.

I've decided that my music practice will be the first thing I do when I get to the office. That will prevent it from sliding down the schedule. Hopefully!

• Like 2

I cannot play well enough to try to sing at the same time.  So I do one or the other. :)

I'm stal--er, interested in your progress!  Congrats on a strong 5 days!

• Like 1

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views.†- The Fourth Doctor

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...as is instant death.  Avada Kedavra, Sweetie...

Facebook | TwitterFitocracy

PhD Student - I/O Psychology

I cannot play well enough to try to sing at the same time.  So I do one or the other. :)

I'm stal--er, interested in your progress!  Congrats on a strong 5 days!

Thanks! :) I find if I try to sing, I can only do the most basic stuff, and vice versa. So usually one or the other for me, too.

Day Five:

Maintenance:

Workout: Nope. Got killed by work.

Evening yoga: Yes! The ony part of this day that survived...

Rest: Up too late again...movies for the lonely mind.

Mindfulness:

Breakfast: Didn't eat much, but didn't eat mindfully, either

Lunch: Decent choices (80% good), but only about half mindful

Dinner: Actually pretty good again. The choices were limited, but I ate slowly.

Overall: Snacks. Office candy. Oatmeal and peanut butter before bed. Coffee and tea ad infinitum.

Music:

No practice.

It was a pretty sucky day five -- work flared up and my focus went away, then I got homesick, curled into a dark spot, and hurled obscenities at all interlopers.

Day Five:

Maintenance:

Workout: Nope. Got killed by work.

Evening yoga: Yes! The ony part of this day that survived...

Rest: Up too late again...movies for the lonely mind.

Mindfulness:

Breakfast: Didn't eat much, but didn't eat mindfully, either

Lunch: Decent choices (80% good), but only about half mindful

Dinner: Actually pretty good again. The choices were limited, but I ate slowly.

Overall: Snacks. Office candy. Oatmeal and peanut butter before bed. Coffee and tea ad infinitum.

Music:

No practice.

It was a pretty sucky day five -- work flared up and my focus went away, then I got homesick, curled into a dark spot, and hurled obscenities at all interlopers.

hugs! Sorry you are homesick :( Hopefully day 6 will be better :wub:

• Like 1

Druid Assassin Halfling

:) Druid Ambassador :)

Level 16, Current Quest: Bekah Returns

Spoiler

Your life does not get better by chance. It gets better by change.

- Jim Rohn

Hi! Great challenge and it looks like you picked some challenging areas for yourself. I am wondering if you could practice mindful eating when you are not so hungry and build a body memory of mindful eating. When you teach children manners you start without any food and just pretend there is a meal. Having the physical experience when you can learn the motions, pacing and feel of eating when you don't need the food could help build awareness and a practice of mindfulness, especially chewing. 

Sorry you are so homesick, it is completely understandable and that of course means you have wonderful things and people in your life to miss. See all your blessings, focus on that to raise your spirit, you will feel lighter and the time will go faster.

Keep up the work and posting, they are always interesting and insightful. 

• Like 2

Hi! Great challenge and it looks like you picked some challenging areas for yourself. I am wondering if you could practice mindful eating when you are not so hungry and build a body memory of mindful eating. When you teach children manners you start without any food and just pretend there is a meal. Having the physical experience when you can learn the motions, pacing and feel of eating when you don't need the food could help build awareness and a practice of mindfulness, especially chewing. 

Sorry you are so homesick, it is completely understandable and that of course means you have wonderful things and people in your life to miss. See all your blessings, focus on that to raise your spirit, you will feel lighter and the time will go faster.

Keep up the work and posting, they are always interesting and insightful. 

Thanks! I will perhaps try a mindful snack...because really half the problem is that I'm actually hungry and I don't want to go slow.

My low spots are not bad...just figuratively so. That said, this has been a very long trip. :/

Day Six

Maintenance:

Workout - Long Cardio (3.5 mile run + 20 minutes on the bike)

Evening Yoga - Relaxing...it was a great session

Sleep - Ok, confession. I never watched Game of Thrones. I'm catching up now, but that means...

Mindfulness:

Breakfast - Actually quite good. I made the switch to morning oatmeal (instead of toast or a little plastic bucket of cereal) with tea. It's a small meal, but it works.

Lunch - Meh. Saturdays around here are rife with poor choices, but I ate it slowly.

Dinner - Pizza night. No health options, and chocolate chip cookies. The bastards are trying to kill me.

Overall - Not a screamingly successful day.

Music:

30 minutes of basics; played over 'Crazy Little Thing' while singing it in my head/out loud. Going well...which is good, because week one is almost over!

• Like 1

Day Seven -- Week One already over!

Maintenance:

Workout - None scheduled -- day of rest!

Evening Yoga - None scheduled

Sleep - In bed at 11, to be up at 6:30. Just made it.

Mindfulness:

Breakfast - slept late Sunday morning, so no breakfast

Lunch - was actually brunch, but I did well. The breakfast burrito was a good choice, and I did ok on mindfulness

Dinner - Not great options, but I did ok with a small piece of meat and veggies. Avoided the massive cake.

Overall - I watched a lot of Game of Thrones, but that kept me out of the food.

Music:

20 minutes of just note drills (sight reading). Not half bad.

I need a new song for week 2...

• Like 1