Gunslinger born: Prologue (erosan's challenge log)

erosan

SUMMARY
In order to become who I want to be, I want to setup the foundations. After these first 6 weeks, I want to achieve the minimum level necessary to start pursuing the rest of my goals: train parkour, finish losing weight, keep lifting heavy things, etc.

My daily battle log is at: Gunslinger born

if anyone reading this feels like checking it out. If this was a book, this first challenge would serve as the prologue. I intend to gain the initial strength and momentum to get things going (thus the title of this thread).

(current) MAIN QUEST - Initiation test
Become leaner, fitter and Healthier.

SMART goal breakdown: lose 15kg (goal is around 70kg before july 1st), be fitter (can do 10 pullups at least), healthier (no more junkfood, minimize sugar and bread, etc at least 80% of the time).

GOALS
1. LEANER - eat/cook Paleo/Primal at least 80% of the time (+1 CHA:if at least 2kg lost)

habitrpg.com setup >
HABIT+- paleo/primal meal
HABIT+ cook healthy food

2. FITTER - 3 times a week bodyweight (+1 STR:if 75%+ success), 1 sprint (+1 DEX:if 75%+ success)

habitrpg.com setup >
DAILY+ BBWW. Mon, Wed, Fri
DAILY+ Sprint session. Sun

3. HEALTHIER - Play 2 times a week in the park with damian, 20 mins at least. (+1 STA:if 75%+ success)

habitrpg.com setup >
DAILY+ 20min+ play in park. Tue, Thu

LIFE SIDEQUEST - learn a new technology, develop something (Angular.js?) (+1 WIS:if I have a v1 product ready, or at least a working prototype) DONE!

habitrpg.com setup >
TODO New tech::checklist {LEARN|PRACTICE|PROTOTYPE|DEVELOP}
HABIT+ practice angular.js

MOTIVATION
LGN

MINIQUESTS
miniquest 1 completed: +1 WIS

miniquest 2 completed: +1 CHA

miniquest 3 completed: +1 WIS

miniquest 4 completed: level up! erosan is now a lvl 1 rebel. +10 stat points

miniquest 5 completed: +1 CON

miniquest 6 completed: Assassins guild.

LVL 1 STATS
1 STR
1 DEX
1 STA
1 CON
4 WIS
2 CHA

6WC COMPLETE

Results

level up! erosan is now a lvl 2 Assassin apprentice.

+1 STR

+1 DEX

+1 STA

+1 CON

+3 WIS

+2 CHA

Analysis

LVL 2 STATS
2 STR
2 DEX
2 STA
2 CON
7 WIS
4 CHA

Note: to learn more about my habitrpg setup, read this thread.

"Unfocused" Wizard // Rationalist of the order of Bayes

Lvl 5 Assassin. Lvl 33 Jack of all trades. 7 STR|6 DEX|7 STA|7 CON|16 WIS|8 CHA

Current challenge Wizard in the making: ero san's continuing road of magic

My drawings Sketchbook, Other afiliations The Loft

1. LEANER - eat/cook Paleo/Primal at least 80% of the time

Starting weight: 85.2 kg (Jan 1st)

Finishing weight: (Feb 15th)

Current weight: 82.9 kg (Updated: Feb 13th) <-- why did I measure after dinner? I always weight myself before... oh well

Days without falling-out-of-the-wagon incidents: 1

Longest 100% paleo: 5 days

Non-paleo crap eaten through the challenge: half a giant chocolate chip cookie, 4 tamales, 2 tortillas, 3 slices of cake, 2.5 orders of poutine, 3 small flan nopolitano servings, 1 brownie, 1 maple blondie <-- damn you chocolate

2. FITTER - 3 times a week bodyweight, 1 sprint

Missed bodyweight workouts: 0/18 (fail point: miss 5 or more)

Missed sprint workouts: 0/6 (fail point: miss 2 or more)

Workouts done: 18 DONE!

Sprints done: 6 DONE!

Extra: nothing yet, but day isn't over

• Like 1

3. HEALTHIER - Play 2 times a week in the park with damian, 20 mins at least.

Missed playdates with my kid: 1/12 (fail point: miss 4 or more) <-- we stayed indoors and played videogames... we played, not in the park, but we played. But rules is rules.

Challenge playdates: 10

Extra days: +5 (not counting before start of challenge)

Longest days in a row Streak: 6 days in a row (starting from before the challenge)

Current days in a row: 0

Erosan the gunslinger, good to see you here!

Awesome to see angular.js on your hit-list! I've got learn node.js on my someday maybe list and I'd love to see whatever you end up with at the end of the challenge.

Ideal weight: 78kg | starting weight: 63.8kg

LeadVonE - Level 1 Warrior

Past challenges: 1 2 3 4

Hey, James.

I'm currently following the (official?) google sponsored tutorial from codeschool.com ("shaping up with angular"), and the plan is to create a little webapp that will allow me to keep track of my books (<-- massive bookworm too): which ones I own, which ones I've read, which ones I've loaned to a friend, etc. Maybe it is not very ambitious, but I think it is doable in the timeframe and also I could use it and my girl could use it too, so yeah...

I will definitely post updates (and once it's ready, I intend to put the code up somewhere... It'll be opensource, probably in WTFPL or some other license as permissive xD).

Welcome, erosan!

You sound motivated and focused, love it!

Have you worked with percentage goals before? Seems like you have and if they work for ya, great! The kid aspect always helps!

Do me a favor when you get a chance and add your name to the title of your thread so peeps can find you easier. Just click 'Edit' on the first post and then chose 'Use Full Editor' and then you can change the title.

Have a great challenge!

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

So, I'm starting early, even if it doesn't count towards the challenge, because why not? I'm all setup after all.

Bought a "frisbee" and taught my kid to throw... with limited success. I mean, he can throw, albeit not very far (he is 4 years old so this I expected) but he can't catch yet. And he got bored pretty quick, so we ended up running around the park jumping and stuff. Fun, fun, fun.

Diet was ok, save for some pasta at dinner, which followed the park exercise, so I don't think it did a lot of damage (and we are not counting yet, are we?).

I even ended up "sprinting" due to having to do some emergency shopping for the restaurant... I had to park kinda far from the store, so I ran, bought and ran back. Not what I envisioned when I decided to do sprints on Saturdays, but I'll take it.

So, yeah. Bonus points for me.

Awesome!

When I as station at Camp Geiger I would transport the Marine Snipers to and from the field. When you see them on base they run everywhere and always in pairs. Even if it's 10 feet they will run it. I too took up this concept, I get strange looks at work though but I don't worry about looking silly as this is for my improvement.

Let's see if we can improve ourselves...

• Like 1

Sir Shaggs

Xeph Level  newb aspiring to ranger

Battle log

Six week challenge

Hi there!!

I’m Chris-Tien Jinn, an ambassador for the Assassin Guild. Despite the name, we are a VERY friendly guild, filled with people who enjoy a wide variety of activities and fitness goals!

For more information about the guild, stop by the Info & Announcements thread.  Also, check out the Assassin's Phonebook, which lists the names of people who are working on various aspects of fitness and life changes.  This is a great place to connect with someone who is working on goals similar to yours.  Don't be shy about following them or sending a message if you have questions!!!   

You can also stop by the Assassin's Den - a general chat thread in the guild forum – and introduce yourself.  You can always ask questions there, but I warn you that we tend to be pretty silly there and love to post gifs …. especially of cute animals!!

If you ever have any questions or need help with anything, let me know.  You can grab my attention by using the quote button at the bottom right corner of any of my posts.  I have the forum setting turned on to alert me when somebody quotes me using that button, so it's a quick easy way to let me know you're talking to me. You can also get in touch with me by posting on my own challenge topic or by using the forum private messenger system (the envelope button at the very top right of the screen).

Someone from the Assassin's Guild will stop by every week to check on your progress, but don't be a stranger!!  The most successful people around here reach out and get support from others - novices and veterans alike!  A great place to meet up with other (new) Assassins is in the Assassin Initiates Accountabilities Group   - stop by when you have a chance!!

• Like 1

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Walk to Mordor Spreadsheet

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk

I've read so many posts in MDA about Mark having fun playing ultimate that I just wanted to play too, but I don't have anyone to play with but my kid, so until he gets better, thats what I have. :D

He did a lot better today though. made me jump and run a couple times to catch, and we also did the bodyweight workout together: 20 squats, 10 pushups, 10 step ups for each leg on a park bench, then I used him as a dumbell for inv rows 10 reps each hand, plank till failure and repeat the whole thing.

then he jumped on my back for more squats and another round of plank. but I failed to comply his demands of pushups with him sitting on my back. :D

meals were all paleo friendly so far. so yay!

• Like 2

Woot! Also.. ultimate frisbee is totally awesome, I wish I had people to play with around here also.. it's been quite some time for myself.. Those inverted rows sound brutal.. I was stuck with what is essentially a milk jug =(

Akuyo - Level 0 Lycan Rebel

Stats: 0 STR, 0 DEX, 0 CON, 0 STA, 0 WIS, 0 CHA

my daughter loves it when I bench press her...not so much leg squats...she has a fear of heights...or at least sitting on my shoulders.

she'll even grab my arms and I pick her up and hold my arm straight out till she either lets go or it's hard to keep it up.

kids are great weights..and they grow as you get stronger..yeah? :P

• Like 1

Sir Shaggs

Xeph Level  newb aspiring to ranger

Battle log

Six week challenge

Update for the prev 2 days:

LEANER

Current weight:  83.8 kg (Updated: Jan 6th)   <-- could be mostly water lost, and my scale is not very accurate, so take with a pinch of salt.
Days without falling-out-of-the-wagon incidents: 2
Non-paleo crap eaten: none so far (note to self: let's keep it this way)

FITTER

Workouts done: 1

HEALTHIER

Extra playdate days: +3

Longest Streak: 3 days in a row (starting from before the challenge)
  • Like 1

yup. same time everyday wearing only my underwear. To be honest I weight myself everyday just to have numbers to plot. Satisfies some kind of nerdy statistics building need.

A kite is an awesome idea, mate! I should get to making one!

• Like 1

Update: I just finished the Shaping up with angular.js tutorial. I think I can start the work on a mock prototype, but I still feel like there is too much about angular.js that I don't get... too much "magic" happening. I don't even grasp the extent of what angular is bringing to the table, so... I just started this other angular course:

https://thinkster.io/angulartutorial/a-better-way-to-learn-angularjs/

I made it through the first 2 parts, but It's gonna take longer to finish this one though... I might drop the plan of learning angular if I don't see something that I LOVE from it and try ember or backbone or something else. Who knows.

Just keep on doing activities in angular and you will step by step expose yourself to more facets of the framework and how it enhances Javascript apps. Unless you are the kind of person who can learn well just by reading a great deal of material about a subject, the best is by practice. Have you ever been grappling with a complex multi-step programming problem and suddenly had an epiphany (mine always seemed to happen the shower after I'd 'given up')...? It might not be exactly the same for you yet in this case since you need more time with the nuts and bolts of this new tech. 

Level 13 Shape-shifting Warrior Monk

STR:45 | DEX:18 | STA:10 | CON:37 | WIS:37 | CHA:27

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

Battle Log : MFP : Instagram : Challenges - 1, 23456789101112

Just keep on doing activities in angular and you will step by step expose yourself to more facets of the framework and how it enhances Javascript apps. Unless you are the kind of person who can learn well just by reading a great deal of material about a subject, the best is by practice. Have you ever been grappling with a complex multi-step programming problem and suddenly had an epiphany (mine always seemed to happen the shower after I'd 'given up')...? It might not be exactly the same for you yet in this case since you need more time with the nuts and bolts of this new tech.

I'm hoping for that epiphany, wich is why I'm sticking with angular for some more time. And I see the benefits of rapid prototyping and how module dependency and custom directives can make for cleaner, easier to work with code… but that can't be all of it, can it?