Rurik's First Adventure: Leaving the Starting Zone

Rurik Harrgath

Well met, all.  I am Rurik, an aspiring Ranger, living deep in the Canadian Wilderness.  After serving in the military an injury sidelined my fitness goals and has contributed to a waning in motivation and mood that plagues me to this day.  I have had months of success from time to time through the years since but have been unable to make a lasting impact in turning my life around.  I began Crossfit last February and managed two WODs a week until June when my girlfriend and I went on month-long trip but I haven't since managed to get back and I could have eaten better in 2014.  So here I am, a Level 0 Human Ranger preparing to start my first Challenge and charge through the new character starting zone.

My Main Quest is to participate in a Mud Hero run at the end of July.  My reward for succeeding in preparations to do so will be buying a Utilikilt to run the race in.  I consider this the first dungeon/boss battle to my real life RPG.

Starting weight: Approx 230lbs (require a new weighing).  Goal: 220 by Challenge's end.

Goal/Quest 1: Foraging to Survive (+2 CON)

• Eat Paleo 80-90% of the time.
  • One vegetarian day per week.

Goal/Quest 2: Training to be a Ranger (+2 STR, +2 DEX)

• Return to Crossfit in three weeks.  By the end of January, to be attending two WODs a week.

Goal/Quest 3: Scouting the Country (+3 STA)

• One long walk (1 hour) a week or two (30 minute) walks. Bonus points for longer walks.

Life Goal/Quest: "A wizard is never late, nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means to.” (+1 WIS)

• Work on my punctuality.  Whenever possible arrive fifteen minutes earlier to a timing than required.
  • Pass/Fail per day, totalled at the end of the week.

Motivation: Join the Dunedain.  Train with the Mandalorians.  Join the Night's Watch.  Battle the Horde.  My goals aren't lofty and my motivation is personal and selfish, for all I wish is to be a more fit, leaner, and physically capable version of myself.  So I imagine what would be requried of a real life Ranger or Soldier and seek to mimick those requirements, and I'm using these forums as encouragement and accountability to keep to my goals.

• Like 5

[ Level ?? ] Thunderbro Maximus of the Thunderlords Legion

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

If your Canadian Wilderness is anything like mine, this worrying lack of snow is enough to bring motivation levels down. I need my snow!

Nice goals, even better motivation that I can completely understand. Good luck!

Wood Elf Waywatcher | Level 0
Strength: 0 | Dexterity: 0 | Stamina: 0 | Constitution: 0 | Wisdom: 0 | Charisma: 0

Intro | Lv1 Challenge | My walk to Mordor... And back again tracker | The road to Rivendell began 01/01/15. 32km completed, 701km to go!

We just got a fresh sprinkle over night but it could hardly be called anything of significance.  At best there's a few inches of the powdery white stuff sitting around but not enough to get out and enjoy it.  I'm hoping for more so I can get out on a snowboard this year (after the -50C temps we had last year... no winter sports).  Hoping to get out and skate tonight too.

Challenges1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

Great goals.

Your motivation is not selfish.  To be healthy and strong means that you have the capacity to serve and support others.  Preparing your own paleo food rather than buying prepared food should end up cheaper too.

King Arthur

Here's to your future greatness.

• Like 1

Current Challenge: (Feb-Mar 21) Step by Step

My Epic Quest Character Sheet  *** Old Challenges and Links hidden below

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

Had a rocky start of the year and haven't been around much internet thusfar, but should be able to post more regularly now.

Week 1 Summary

• I have definitely been succeeding in reinforcing my Paleo diet.  I had a couple of rocky days ten days ago, when the girlfriend and I had to fly out to a funeral in Ottawa and access to meat and veggies was slim, but other than that I have been successfully strict. Score: B+.

• I have contacted my Crossfit coach and should be returning this week.  Bonus points for an early start!  Score: Pending.

• The funeral sucked up all of my days off but I still tried to get out and about. Score: B.

Life Goal/Quest: "A wizard is never late, nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means to.” (+1 WIS)

• Major success on the punctuality front.  I've been making minute tweaks here and there to arrive ten or fifteen minutes earlier than whatever timing I set or was set for me, and it's amazing what an impact this has had on my stress level!  Score: Pass!

All in all this was a successful week despite the emotionally trying time (and the fact that our flight left after my last night shift, leading to a 32-hour day before I found a bed to rest my eyes).  I'm proud of the steps I took to avoid the worst of the junk food offerings and treated myself to a steak and lobster dinner with extra veggies after the funeral service, which ended up being picked up on the father-in-law's tab.  Victory!

• Like 1

Catch-up Part 2.

Week 2 Summary

• Since returning from Ottawa and getting back on my own schedule, adhereing to Paleo has been a snap.  I've kept a store of sausage in the fridge and a container of veggies and dressing handy which has been a huge aid.  Otherwise i've been cooking up a storm and the biggest cheat I've had this last week was a single beer with my buddy after work the other day.  He offered me another and I replaced it in his fridge while he was in the washroom (dishonest, but diet-friendly!). Score: A+.

• Back to Crossfit Wednesday.  Score: Pending.

• Haven't had the chance to sneak in a major walk but spent several hours skating outdoors on the skating oval with the girlfriend.  Good cardio, great scenery, and lots of fresh air, so I'll count it toward the spirit of the Quest if not the letter of it.  Score: A.

• Haven't been late for a thing this week, not even the timings I set for myself to make it to the grocery store.  Score: Pass!

It's too bad that I had to fall off the planet for a couple of weeks but I'm glad that I kept things together insofar as my 6 Week Challenge.  My goal and Quests have been in the back of my mind in most of what I've been doing, so while I haven't been here for motivation, I've been keeping my intentions in mind and must say, I enjoy the successes I've had thusfar!

My jeans are already feeling more loose and I've moved up a belt notch.  Today the girlfriend commented on my looking thinner, so that was a plus.  I'm enjoying Paleo this time around and haven't suffered much of a 'Carb Flu' to speak of, at least not to the extent that I've experienced in the past.  I have been suffering from a killer craving for chocolate cake but I made some homemade nut butter ice cream with Rocky Road whey protein that saw me through that.  It wasn't 100% Paleo in spirit but it meets within the Primal guideline so I'm happy.

Looking forward to this new week!

• Like 1

Week 3 Summary - Halfway through the Challenge!  Ding!!

• I had another very good week.  I've gotten creative with some meals, of which some were less than impressive, but food should be fuel before fun, right?  In seven days the only "cheats" I had were one beer, two tablespoons of peanut butter/dark chocolate to alleviate a severe dainty craving, and some nachos today.  I'm very impressed with the results I'm seeing and feeling.  My sister, my girlfriend, and a couple of people at work have all commented that I seem slimmer, and according to the scale I'm down around 12 pounds.  But as this has been under relatively strict Paleo, alot of that is likely water weight.  Still, and nonetheless, I'm quite pleased with myself and looking forward to Week 4.  Steak and asparagus on the BBQ tomorrow night!  Score: A-.

• I walked back into the Crossfit box on Thursday, January 22nd.  My old coach was participating in the WOD and an old familiar face took over as coach for the day.  A couple of people recognized me from last year, and my coach even commented on my beard.  The WOD was 4 rounds of 1000m row, 10 kettle bell swings, and 10 box jumps.  Coach had me scale the row to 600m and "an easy jogging pace" but nonetheless I almost passed out after the warm-up rowing.  It was all I could do to stay upright.  I know I have a tendency to push too hard whenever I get back into a workout routine so I need to keep aware of that in the future.  The first round was rough, but I managed through, and after round two Coach said I could quite after round 3 if I felt like I couldn't continue, but other than a severe case of "rubber arms" during the row, I found a second wind during round three and annihilated round 4.  The 5:30 class was beginning to arrive during the last of the rounds, so there was a cocophany of cheers and motivation to carry us through the last of the kettle bell swings and box jumps. 
  • To score Coach had us add up our timings for each round, and even though my WOD was scaled, I managed a competitive 20:37.  My first round was under five minutes so I definitely pushed a bit too hard there and felt it during the later rounds, but round four was a few tens of seconds shorter than the others so I finished strong.  I barely had to break the box jumps up even though my legs were blasted.  I'm very satisfied with my first WOD back, and even though it was an easier workout than I've seen prescribed, I'm looking forward to my next class tomorrow.  Score: A++ for getting back a week early!

• The weather has been beautiful here and life has been conveniently relaxed.  Earlier this week I got out for a few hours of ice skating again, and I was feeling some "food guilt" after devouring some nachos and a beer today, so I hit the snow trails for almost two hours to walk it off.  While successful this week and the one prior, I think I need to prioritize getting my weekly "ranging" in because it's as good for my mental health as it is my physical.  So I'll be carrying that thought forward into Week 4.  Score: A+.

• Another excellent week.  I find I'm arriving pleasantly early to anything I've planned, although I've found others aren't always as considerate, which I occasionally find frustrating but unavoidable.  Score: Pass!

Well, that's the end of Week 3 of my first Nerd Fitness Challenge!  I'm very pleased with myself and the willpower I've had these past three weeks.  My cravings have been getting tougher so I'm going to try my hand at some Paleo baking (Paleo protein bites; mine won't have oats):

proteinbites_profile.jpg

and some Greek Yogurt Peanut Butter Cups (to beat my chocolate cravings!):

9fdaf3f3d3fd8aa8becc76449d0e0fd7.jpg

I guess I survived the first 3 weeks and battled my way to Level 1!  The levelling system here hasn't been my biggest motivator but it's definitely a fun side motivation that created some week-to-week accountability for me.  I was really looking forward to getting home tonight and typing up my third summary so I could allocate my stat points and really think of myself as belonging here.

See you all for Week 4!

• Like 1

Sounds like your first challenge is off to a good start, glad to hear that.

I just started crossfit to compliment my running and to get me ready for a Spartan race later this year, I understand the pushing way to hard thing. The rower is so misleading I never realize how hard I'm going on it until all I can do is just roll off and lay there. 

One thing I adopted, don't feel guilty if you want a beer and nachos, you're a grown man no one should keep them from you. Just accept that you are going to eat\drink them and then move on with your life and if you feel like you should do a little extra workout then have at it. My less than healthy options usually come attached to my two year old, between half cookies and the last m&m or two it keeps my sweet tooth at bay.

• Like 1

Level 6 - Scout

Challenges - Lost Diary of a Scout

#5#4#3#2#1

Week 4 Summary - Gaining momentum with the end in sight, and the future clearly in mind.

• Lots of Paleo munching again this week.  I went to a local winter festival that, strictly speaking, wasn't totally Paleo, but I walked away with only a couple tasty adult beverages, some mashed potatoes, a cupcake, and some weird Brazilian meat pastries.  I'm calling that a 'cheat' rather than a 'failure' because of the event, and realizing that I need to live even while making healthy choices.  I also came to some conclusions this week: To get the results I want in the time frame I wish for, I'm going to have to narrow down some of my indulgences, specifically reducing the amount of sausage and Greek yogurt I'm taking in.  Both are a bit dense calorie-wise, and after checking MyFitnessPal a couple of times, I'm still always under my calorie goal, I would like to push the envelope there a bit more.  So I'm going to play around with my macros a bit and see what happens.  Score: A-.

• I've been in for two more WODs this last week, and while both were challenging, neither were life ruiners.  More rowing, some jump pullups, burpees... all of the Crossfit go-to's.  I'm feeling much stronger and more fit going back this year than I did starting out this year, but I'm not entirely eliminating the possibility of these WODs having been slightly easier than what I remember.  That being said, the Open starts in February and I'm hoping to participate in my affiliate's Open workouts and those ought to be grueling even scaled.  I find myself actually excited for more workouts and jonesing for my next one.  I did not expecting to find myself wishing I had signed up for 3-a-weeks, but when I have renew my membership next month I surely will be, and sneaking my third workout somewhere into my work week (probably before my first night shift).  Back tomorrow!  Score: A+.

• Remember when I said the weather was beautiful here?  Now it's around -35C with the windchill.  So I haven't had a chance to get any rangings in, but I did get out skating once.  I'm coming up on 6 days off after tonight's night shift, so I'm looking forward to bundling up and forcing myself to conquer the cold and journey North of the Wall.  Score: B.

• This change has been helpful in keeping my stress low and my spirits up.  I had one small slip up in timing to pick my sister up from work at 1530 to take her car shopping, but I had forgotten my phone clock is set a bit ahead to get me to work early, and she was released from work late, so I actually ended up being ten minutes early and everything worked out well.  She bought her first car and is now the happy owner of a 2007 Jeep Wrangler.  Score: Pass.

I've very much been enjoying this challenge, and even thought it's been intensely personal and the motivation has been my own, I've found the people around these forums friendly and willing to offer advice and encouragement.  I'm glad to find that as I'm quite the persnickety introvert and wouldn't find much encouragement elsewhere, save my girlfriend and a few close friends.

Onward!  To week 5!

• Like 1

Weighed myself on the scale at work.  Right after Christmas I weighed in at 242lbs, in uniform and with duty belt on.  So I hopped on the scale again under the same conditions and weighed in at 230.5lbs.  Impressed by that accomplishment I took off my work boots and stripped off my duty belt and found myself at 222.5lbs... which means my kit weighs over 8 pounds!

While that was sinking in, I was busy celebrating having dropped nearly 12 pounds with (admittedly) minimal effort.  If I can dial in that diet a bit tighter and up my workouts to 3-a-weeks, I ought to be laughing my way to a new pants size!  I think I'll add a weight loss goal for my next Challenge.  Not that I'm overly concerned about the numbers, but rather that it would be interesting to find out my "natural weight."

• Like 1

Congrats! Its always great to see that number change. Do you also do measurements? I do both, it really helps when I've been consistent with lifting and find that the scale doesn't move but I start losing inches.

Keep up the good work!

• Like 1
Spoiler

“Little by little, one travels farâ€
― J.R.R. Tolkien

Level 2 Lycan
Adventurer at heart, training with the Rangers
STR 2|DEX 1|CON 2|STA 1|WIS 3|CHA 1
Reyna's Return I Current Challenge: Reyna's Run I Blog

Thanks, Reyna.  The only measurements I really have worried about are how my pants fit, and I must say, thusfar both of my favorite pairs of jeans are getting loose around the waist.  I guess my next Challenge will involve picking out a new wardrobe, haha.

• Like 2

I've had to tighten my favorite leather belt and my duty belt!  So that's been nice, and people are starting to notice and make comments.  So hopefully toughening up on my diet and workouts for the 10lbs/10 weeks PVP Challenge will drop me even further toward my so-so goals.  I'm not overall concerned with weight other than interest in the number, it's all about how I feel and look.

• Like 1

The pictures from your Dusty Leather-Bound Ranger's Journal looked Canadian.  Long shadows.  Mid Day.  High Latitude.  Reference to temperature in degrees Celsius.  Your challenge log confirms it.  Your reference to -50°C implies you are in a pretty isolated part of Canada on top of it.  What part of Canada are you living in?  (From might be a completely different question)

In your Journal, you were talking about Hand-Stand Push-Ups.  It's awesome that you are doing them - especially given the weight you mention!  The last time I had success there, it was because I folded a pillow and put it under my head to give me a little bit of height.

I have never actually tried Cross-Fit, but have done a few group classes called Alpha.  They did a little session of weight training - working one specific lift.  Then they ran a conditioning workout, similar to what you described, but usually body-weight exercises that you might be able to do at home.

• Like 1

Classless Human Male Warrior - Introduction

Height: 1.77m Weight: 93 kg

Spoiler

Current Maxes: (repsxkg)

Squat: 10x122.3, 5x138.2, 3x147; 1x170

Bench Press: 10x79, 5x93, 1x102

Deadlift: 10x152, 5x192, 3x210, 1x229

Overhead Press: 10x52, 5x61, 1x70.3

Current Battle Log: 1707 Sam Ashen Summer Swole Program

2017 Challenges:  1701 1702 1703 1704 1705

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1609  1610 1611 1612

Daily Log:The Daily Grind

Form Check:  Stronglifts Olympic

More FC's:  Pistol Squats

Want to play?  MFPvP

I live in Manitoba.  The prairies have been pretty darn cold the last few years.  So rural but not exceedingly remote admittedly.  This year has been a very pleasant winter comparatively.  We've only hit the -40C and colder for a couple weeks in January and otherwise we've been enjoying -20C and warmer, all the way to right around freezing.  The powers that be actually had to refinish the outdoor skating oval because the temperatures had gotten so warm that it had worn down significantly.

I take it from your line of questioning that you're also of the Canada variety?

Your Alpha sounds similar to Crossfit in its own way.  I love the diversity of the workouts and how you never know what the next day will bring until the coach posts the WOD online, and then I like to check out some Youtube videos to get my research in rather than going in blind.  It seems to help me catch on quicker, and no one likes being the token "F'n New Guy."

I live in Manitoba.  The prairies have been pretty darn cold the last few years.  So rural but not exceedingly remote admittedly.  This year has been a very pleasant winter comparatively.  We've only hit the -40C and colder for a couple weeks in January and otherwise we've been enjoying -20C and warmer, all the way to right around freezing.  The powers that be actually had to refinish the outdoor skating oval because the temperatures had gotten so warm that it had worn down significantly.

I take it from your line of questioning that you're also of the Canada variety?

I also hail from Manitoba.  Small world!  I grew up in the countryside northeast of Winnipeg.  However, I am currently living in Minnesota.

Hmm.  Rural Manitoba could be quite a few places.  The pictures did look like farmland, so that narrows it down a bit.

Your Alpha sounds similar to Crossfit in its own way.  I love the diversity of the workouts and how you never know what the next day will bring until the coach posts the WOD online, and then I like to check out some Youtube videos to get my research in rather than going in blind.  It seems to help me catch on quicker, and no one likes being the token "F'n New Guy."

It is.  They are all about getting lots of reps in.

• Like 1

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1609  1610 1611 1612

Want to play?  MFPvP

You've been doing great this challenge! Looking forward to having you in the Rangers next time!

• Like 1

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Wow, small world indeed, Sam.  I'm in the greater Brandon area.  I've only been through Minnesota a few times on the way to Ontario, but from what I've seen it ought to be famillar enough for you to feel at home.

Thank you for the likes and the attention, ShadowLion.  I'm having a great Challenge so far and I'm very much looking forward to hopping in with the Rangers next time.  I love this place!

Week 5 Summary - Heading off to complete the last quests in the starting zone...

• At this point, and with my fairly long history of adhering to Paleo principles, the diet is coming naturally to me.  I haven't even had much in the way of cravings lately.  The girlfriend and I agreed to enjoy a donut each on Valentines Day this week so I'm guiltily looking forward to that but otherwise I think I've been doing excellent, and after the recent foray to Costco I'm sitting on around 15lbs of chicken and pork... it'll be a good month!  Only significant shortcomings this week were the linguine at Red Lobster and the few pieces of licorice night before last.  All in all, quite satisfied.  Score: A.

• The two-a-weeks at Crossfit aren't enough for me.  I'm really jonesing to get more classes in per week and even get in for the Oly class to work on my lifting form.  Coach announced a big Team WOD on the 16th as a fundraiser for Special Olympics that everyone should try to attend and have a box photo taken.  I haven't made it to one of those yet so I am super pumped for all that entails... especially getting my first affiliate t-shirt.  I'm really enjoying Crossfit this go around, and I've mentioned here and elsewhere how badly it whoops my arse, but I'm loving every minute of it.  Score: A+.

• The weather has stabilized somewhat around the -15C area.  I had a few days of vacation to burn off before the new fiscal year in April so I ended up with 6 days off until last night, and I enjoyed them immensely.  As you can see in my Battle Log I did get out for a good ranging this week and enjoyed the waning sunlight and crisp fresh air.  Also got out skating once.  As much as I love winter I'm really getting ready for shorts weather and mountain biking to work regularly.  That'll probably factor into my next challenge!  Score: A+.

• My girlfriend and I planned to head into the city for our Costco trip.  I set my alarm for the perfect timing despite having a fairly late night and surprisingly she was the one who ended up running late.  She even commented on how I've been better with making sure I'm ready earlier than the timings I give her.  I'm rather proud of myself in light of that praise.  Score: Pass.

Now that I've made some friends around here and found my way in the NF world I'm really loving it around here.  The energy is contagious and there are some really good people who make it easy to keep coming back for more.  I find myself thinking about leveling up and chatting with others about my experiences through the forum here.  I'm very thankful to have found such an excellent group of people to level up my life with!

I can feel it in the earth... I can smell it in the air... much that once was has changed, for the end of my first Challenge is in sight!

I can feel it....calling in the aaaaaair tonight.........oh lord....Well I've been waiting for this moment all my life...oh looord

Drum solo!!!! bo bo bo ba dam baDAM BAM BAM !!!!!*rocks out*

(sorry, couldn't help myself)

Congrats!!!! Doesn't it feel great to be on time? I always feel much more together, like I know what I'm doing, if I get some place 5 minutes ahead of schedule. Even if its something as mundane as the grocery store or dropping off recycling-stuff that isn't actually on a schedule.

• Like 1
Spoiler

“Little by little, one travels farâ€
― J.R.R. Tolkien

Level 2 Lycan
Adventurer at heart, training with the Rangers
STR 2|DEX 1|CON 2|STA 1|WIS 3|CHA 1
Reyna's Return I Current Challenge: Reyna's Run I Blog

Showing up late to anything tends to really fluster me and is probably one of the few (but significant) causes of stress in my life.  I pride myself on being fairly laid back it it aggravates me to no end when I'm pressed for time or forget to do/bring something because I was flustered over running behind.  Adding that one small Life Quest has really improved my mental well-being this past month!

I've started brainstorming what kind of new things I could throw in for the next Challenge.

What about a food diary?  Have you thought about keeping one?  What I have found for myself is when I keep a food diary, I have much greater success because then I can see what stands out and what can stay in the diet and what can go.  On the other side, it takes a lot of discipline to keep it.  There are a lot of good tools out there.

EDIT:  Good luck with the Rangers!  I will look for and follow your next challenge!

Spoiler

Want to play?  MFPvP

I work some pretty long and exhausting shifts at work so I don't ordinarily have the time to enter a food diary.  For the most part I eat a lot of the same things (chicken thighs and pork chops with fried celery and onions, spinach salads) with a few snacks or protein shakes mixed in.  What I try to do is upload a day to MyFitnessPal every few days or weekly just to make sure I'm on track (give or take) with my daily card and calorie goals.

It's not perfect but it has worked for me lately, and cutting down on the sausage and bacon in the last week or two has definitely helped to that end.