Annyshay Learns to Listen

annyshay

My time with the Druids refocused me. The biggest threat to my health last year was not weight or inactivity. I was wounded by the combination of depression, anxiety, and stress. During 2014, I learned resilience despite these wounds. Sleep, clean eating, movement, and simple habits formed new foundations. My journey, however, will be about more than my own health as I strive to love others well.

Currently, I am an assassin apprentice. I cannot succeed if I rely solely on instinct, experience, and emotion. Far too often, my pride and stubbornness make me deaf to the wisdom around me, but I will learn to listen carefully. So, I don the black anew and vow to pursue my new quest to listen faithfully. Join me, rebels!

Main Quest - Listen

January will shift into a crazy work schedule (working 30 hours every fourth day, only 4 days off all month, etc).  This is hopefully the last time that I will ever have to work like this.  Given the extreme limits on my time and energy, this is a crucial time to strengthen the foundation I built last year.  I am making self-care and rest a priority, so that I can begin to listen better to my body and those around me with more wisdom.  I will meet these goals consistently and build my new lifestyle around them.  This January, I will not succumb to drastic resolutions.  After all, "let's not be hasty." 

b83c46eb98806a243d1422bc537b4550.jpg

1) Sleep
- I turn off screens and prepare for bed at 9pm
- bed routine, read, dark room, >7 hours, good naps

tumblr_mft56oqAmL1qddik5o4_500.gif

2) Eat
- I eat two meals per day mindfully and log everything I consume on NF
- no screens, no work, no reading, sit down, give thanks, enjoy

funny-Hobbit-shoes-Bilbo-walking.jpg

3) Move
- I move for at least five minutes daily
- sun salutation, PT exercises, walk, dance, yoga, BWW

party020916d.jpg

Life quest - Listen
- I am a woman who actively listens
- prayer, silence, mindful conversation, self-reflection, instruction, Bible study

Hobbit-Bilbo-Baggins-writes.jpg

Bonus quest - Self-care
- I am somebody that cares for myself daily
- Mindfulness, Affirmation, Creation, Studying, Decluttering

NF keeps me focused in the midst of possible chaos, so I will reward myself for sticking to these goals and logging consistently!
- $5 per core/life goal that I achieve and document at least 6 days per week
- roll once per day that I complete and log at least 3 self care activities

Roll Rewards
1) yoga block
2) zombies run
3) natural calm
4) iPad game
5) read 30 minutes
6) $5 in reward fund
7) new playlist
8) bubble bath
9) new tea
10) browse books

Here we go!

• Like 3

Love as thou wilt.

That sounds like a very well thought challenge. I wish you the best for these upcoming weeks!

• Like 1

The Wolverine - Level 5 // BER  6.5 // HEA  4 // STR  4.4 // STA  3 // DEX  4 // CON  4 // WIS  4.75 // CHA  1

He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty.

Adventures don't start until you get into the forest.

wow, this is one super cool challenge. Listening in on you, will be :)

• Like 1

Level 18 Wood-Elf Assassin

battle log: counting the good things

current challenge: something, nothing, all the things

previous challenges: 25242322212019181716, 151413121110987654, 321

How cool is it that the same God who created mountains and oceans and galaxies looked at you and thought the world needed one of you, too

Excellent, glad to see you back in the assassins and I'm glad that the time with the Druids was what you needed! I really like the rewards you have set up. I think a bubble bath actually needs to be on my to-do list today.

Bubble baths for all! I'm glad to be back too.

It sounds like you have learned much, and you will take good care of yourself and can only get stronger and more resilient for it - I hope you have a great challenge!

It's hard not to learn around here. I really appreciate this community and can't wait to see what we all get up to these six weeks.

That sounds like a very well thought challenge. I wish you the best for these upcoming weeks!

Thanks, Lara! That means a lot since your posts are so well thought out.

wow, this is one super cool challenge. Listening in on you, will be :)

Likewise. :)

Love as thou wilt.

I've been trying to unofficially keep up with my goals prior to the start of the challenge. I think they will continue to provide me a strong, manageable foundation.

Yesterday, I completed three self care activities (meditation, affirmations, and creation - guitar playing). 'Twas lovely! Rolled a 1, so I'll have to find myself a yoga block. :D

I may go do likewise now. You guys ready to start for real tomorrow? I sure am!

• Like 1

Love as thou wilt.

Yesterday, I completed three self care activities (meditation, affirmations, and creation - guitar playing). 'Twas lovely!

Sounds nice!

• Like 1

The Wolverine - Level 5 // BER  6.5 // HEA  4 // STR  4.4 // STA  3 // DEX  4 // CON  4 // WIS  4.75 // CHA  1

Day One!

Sleep!

pending...

Eat!

B- two eggs sunny side up in butter, cabbage, and some left over sweet potato home fries with pepper and onions, tea

- eaten mindfully!

L- tilapia in butter and lemon juice, classic coleslaw, pineapple

(Ate at the computer for no reason, out of bad habits, Blargh)

S- bone broth

D- pending...

Move!

Sun salutation x4 this morning

NeilaRey day 22 (flutter kicks, sitting twists, scissors, leg lifts, and leg circles)

20 army crawls for mini-challenge

50 sword chops for mini-mini

Listen!

Good time reading my Bible and praying this morning.

Paid a lot of attention to what my coworkers needed today.

Waiting for roommate to have dinner so that we can talk and process the day.

Self-care!

Yesterday I did meditation, affirmations, and studying. Rolled 3 - natural calm.

Today I did meditation, affirmations, and studying (twice!). Rolled 4 - new iPad game.

I'm on top of everything but my rewards, lol. Feeling awesome about this challenge. So glad to be back in black! Apologies, sorta, for the ridiculous amount of exclamation points.

Sounds nice!

So nice! :D Thanks for the inspiration!
  • Like 3

Love as thou wilt.

Amazing day! Do not forget to reward yourself, you've had a big start!

Yesterday was NUtZ at work, but I met all my goals. This proves that I have scaled things well, which means NO EXCUSES!

Day 2

Sleep - check

Eat - two mindfully, check

B- two eggs in butter, kale, tea

S- hummus with pretzels

L- broccoli, salad with Caesar dressing, lasagna, trail mix, fruit mix

D/S- random assortment of chips, hummus, pretzels, trail mix, and candy

Move - sun salutations

Listen - bible and prayer in morning (working on Daniel right now), mindful conversation with coworker (so hard not to interrupt!), and really paying attention to the reasons my bosses were giving me for being unable to do some things

Extra - meditation, affirmations, and studying

Day 3

Sleep - check

Eat - three mindfully, check

B- egg frittata, sweet potato with butter, tea

L- lettuce, tuna salad, mustard, mayo, to to slice, cookie

S- random assortment of chips, hummus, pretzels, trail mix, and candy

D- pot roast, spinach

Move - sun salutations

Listen - bible and prayer in morning, listened well to a new patient, asked for help from fellow and tried not to rebel, watched friends interact with some interviewees

Extra - meditation, affirmations, and studying

Other successes - not freaking out about yesterday, going to the grocery store today, and not dreading tomorrow too much yet. Woo!

I need your help with accountability tomorrow. I will be working my first overnight. I have a tendency to snack in order to deal with stress and stay awake. I am committing to you guys that I will ONLY eat the pre-approved meals and mini-meals that I bring with me. If I absolutely need, I can have one other thing, but I must stick to the serving size. Ok? Ok!

• Like 2

Love as thou wilt.

It looks like you are doing well.

Wish you luck at work tonight. I am sure you can control those snacks.

super impressed, you are surfing it all! Excellent start :)

Level 18 Wood-Elf Assassin

battle log: counting the good things

current challenge: something, nothing, all the things

previous challenges: 25242322212019181716, 151413121110987654, 321

How cool is it that the same God who created mountains and oceans and galaxies looked at you and thought the world needed one of you, too

Day Four

Sleep - pass as I was working (only slept for 90 minutes overnight)

Eat - ate two meals mindfully, but totally failed on sticking to my home brought food. I will try to stop adding extra challenges to myself. This month is hard enough already.

B- two eggs in butter, cabbage, half a sweet potato, tea

L- large grilled chicken buffalo salad

S- peanut butter granola bar, tropical explosion smoothie, homemade jerky, dehydrated pineapple

D- chicken chipotle panini

Move - sun salutations

Listen - prayed, read bible, tried to submit to my attending's desires even when she was bothering me with her process

No extras. Climbed a total of 36/50 stairs, which I would totally not have done on a usual call day. Mini for the win! Slept for three more hours, enjoyed my favorite black tea, and now it's time to batch cook! Woot!

• Like 1

Love as thou wilt.

Glad to see you are back! It looks like you chose good goals for the schedule you will be having this month (and are starting off well with them!).

Day Five

Sleep - took a three hour nap in the morning and a fifteen minute cat-nap this afternoon. Plan to turn screens off and chillax after 9pm. Sleep in my bed is the best sleep!

Eat - two mindful meals

B- chicken, cabbage, and... a doughnut with tea :)

L- spinach and pot roast

S- popcorn, dried pineapple, dark chocolate with sea salt and almonds

D- buffalo chicken salad from Well Fed 2

Move - sun salutations, day 23 of Neila Rey

Listen - bible, prayer, napping when tired, listening to the alarm and getting up (crucial post long shifts), and planning to chat with roommate for a while when she gets home soon for dinner

Extra - meditation, affirmation, de-clutter-ation. Cleaned up my bedroom floor and did laundry.

Batch cooking happened today and tomorrow the slow cooker will give me Korean short ribs after my work day.

Rock the weekend, rebels!

• Like 3

Love as thou wilt.

Day 6

Sleep - planning to get to bed early

Eat - breakfast and dinner were mindful. Lunch was super late at work, which made me more munchy.

B- two eggs, spinach in butter, bacon, tea

L- chicken curry, raisins, homemade jerky, hummus with pretzels, banana, candy cane

D- salad, Korean beef short ribs, roasted peppers, red wine, dark chocolate

Move - sun salutations, 9 flights of stairs (45 total)

Listen - prayer, bible, and some quiet time alone with the kittens tonight

Extra - meditation, affirmations, and some decluttering of the mail and bedroom. Rolled a 6 and 7, so I will make a new playlist on spotify tomorrow and move $5 to my reard fund tomorrow. Woo hoo.

I have tomorrow off. I can't tell you how excited I am. :D

• Like 2

Love as thou wilt.

Great first week so far!

So a very nice start, right?

Enjoy your free day and prepare yourself for week 2!