hurley8604 - getting back to basics

how'd you come out in this storm? it veered so far to the east that where I live we are just seeing a little accumulation.

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

Still waiting it out. Luckily (knock on wood) I still have power. Since about 7 or 8 last night I've been listening to the winds, they say they are hurricane force. I believe it. Had to go outside to clear a vent and I was getting blown around. But some areas in my yard and driveway have no snow, but other areas it's up to my waist.

Once the roads are safe my brother, sister in law and baby may come down. They've lost power. So I might get some company/help this evening.

• Like 1

"You won't find your answers by looking to the stars. It's a journey you'll have to take by looking inside yourself. You must write your destiny..." Christopher Reeve as Dr. Virgil Swann

Current challenge

Old Challenges: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th9th, 10th11th, 12th, 13th, 14th

Fitbit
Forum Battle Log

I hope everyone can come stay with you! Glad you are safe and warm.

Sent from my iPhone while riding a unicorn through the cosmos.

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

They got their power back sometime between 10:30 - 11am. Which is good because as of right now (10:39pm) the driving ban is still in place. And the end of my driveway has so much snow I have no idea how we (aka friend of family) is going to clear it tomorrow.

Aside from a small glitch about half an hour ago, I kept power all day. Now I prepare to shovel tomorrow morning the parts that I can so I can get to work when we open at noon.

• Like 1

"You won't find your answers by looking to the stars. It's a journey you'll have to take by looking inside yourself. You must write your destiny..." Christopher Reeve as Dr. Virgil Swann

Current challenge

Old Challenges: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th9th, 10th11th, 12th, 13th, 14th

Fitbit
Forum Battle Log

good luck today! take it in small parts and don't worry if you can't do it all at once. NO ONE can do all of that at once. not even the most masterful snow shovelers.

Thanks! I shoveled a path on the back deck from the house door to the porch door, then just the back steps. A friend of the family came over around 8 (as I was shoveling) with his snowblower and did the entire driveway for me. Took him a little over an hour to do. Had to go to work today. We opened at noon, I left at 11:50. Usually takes me 15 minutes. I didn't get in until 12:12. All the side roads are horrendous. I skipped my typical side road and took a major side road. Mistake. Even the main road I'm on was horrible. Oh well, I'm here now. I can take it slower when going home. It looked like the other major side road was more clear than the one I took, so I'll take that one instead. Good thing my mom has a 4WD car that I can use.

Current challenge

Fitbit
Forum Battle Log

Yikes! Be careful out there and never never rush!

I won't rush, I promise! I think I was annoying some people behind me because I was only going about 15-20mph.

Well look at the deal of the day on tools.woot :tongue:  I think you need this!

http://tools.woot.com/

I do need that! Too bad it's already sold out :( I probably could have figured it out/been able to handle the one my dad has. But according to the friend, it's broken. It's not automatically moving forward as it should. He's thinking a mouse got in it and did something. Oh well. They come home on Monday, and are thinking about coming home a day early to get home before the next snow, and because apparently my mom is now sick. I already asked for them to come home Sunday. And jokingly said they better be home before the Super Bowl starts!

Current challenge

Fitbit
Forum Battle Log

I've actually had my eye on this since October/November. For a regular storm I think it would help.

Current challenge

Fitbit
Forum Battle Log

And with it being on sale, I'm sold! Just doing the back steps has made my poor arm hurt, and I have to wait until Saturday until my next chiro appointment :( Hmm, I wonder if I can get him to write a "prescription" for this so I can write it off on my taxes next year have my insurance cover it (which is what I really meant), lol (I wouldn't, but man would it be nice to be able to).

Current challenge

Fitbit
Forum Battle Log

I have a question. And I'm sure it's somewhere in the forums, but that's too much to do a search for.

Is it okay to strength train 2 days in a row? I know you need to rest to let your muscles rebuild themselves. However, I'm trying to put together a weekly/monthly plan to incorporate my new strength routine and I'm having problems. This is what I've worked out so far:

Monday: Strength & Cardio

Tuesday: Rest

Wednesday: Cardio & Strength(?)

Thursday: Aqua WTS class (aka aqua strength) & Swim

Friday: Cardio or Rest

Saturday: Hula Hooping & Strength(?)

Sunday: Rest

I want to do my personal trainer routine 2 times a week and do my Thursday class. But I also want to get into hooping again. Saturdays are really the only days I can go hooping. I could go Sundays, but in all honesty, if I have no other reason to leave the house, I won't make it to the gym. Saturdays I would go right after chiro and I know the group class room would be free to use.

The best would be to do strength and hooping on Saturday, but I'm hesitant because:

A - I don't know if I can physically do both. The hooping routine I would do is 49 minutes long, and already has squats and lunges and some other bodyweight things in it (Videos 4-10. 7 Day, 7 minute workout challenges. I can't do it per day due to lack of space at home)

B - I don't know where I can put my hoops while I am doing strength. I have one large one that can collapse and fit in the locker, but my small arm ones I don't think will fit. And I prefer my large non-collapsible hoop because it is slightly lighter and easier to keep up.

Ideally I would also like to have my swim day on it's own day, too. Last week I swam and did my class back to back and it was just inching over the line of too much for my arm to handle.

EDIT: I also currently have swim and my aqua class on the same day because I know the pool is open after the class. It's been really full in the mornings when I want to swim.

Any thoughts?

Current challenge

Fitbit
Forum Battle Log

I would be working the same muscles. The group class focuses on the whole body. And while my individualized routine was mainly upper body, she did throw in a few things to work the entire body. If interested, I can write out what she has me doing later tonight when I have the paper. I tried writing it from memory, but I couldn't remember the names of two of things she has me do.

Current challenge

Fitbit
Forum Battle Log

Just a note: Swimming will be moved to either Wednesday or Friday. I cannot do it after my aqua class. Don't have the energy. And the pool is FULL of kiddies before class.

Second note: Must remove earrings before swimming. One fell out last night and I didn't notice until I went to change. I went back to the pool and luckily found the earring on the bottom of the pool. I didn't even bother looking for the back.

Current challenge

Fitbit
Forum Battle Log

Like I said, it really comes down to how your body feels. Everyone is different, so there is no hard and fast rules on what you can do on consecutive days. In the end, I like to simplify. My goal right now is to get stronger. If I do anything that taxes my legs (running, cardio, yoga, whatever) I know that my squats or deads will suffer the next day. So I don't do it... That doesn't mean I couldn't do it, but I choose not to!

speaking of shovels.... have you see the WOVEL? 

www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMidmbYJdlg

I can't seem to get videos to embed. but this shovel looks amazing, even if it is kind of spendy...

• Like 1

That is awesome!

And really, only in New England will a guy wear a winter coat and shorts to shovel, lol.

[EDIT] I swear I know how to spell....

• Like 3

Current challenge

Fitbit
Forum Battle Log

Week 4 recap:

Track food 5x a week: B

I did 4 days.

Chai 3x: A

16oz of Pepsi: F

I kinda knew with the Super Bowl yesterday that I may not be able to stick with that one...However, I only went over by 8oz

Moisturize: A

Current challenge

Fitbit
Forum Battle Log

lhgfolsdhfldls

All week I've been working on a cover letter. I have written one in awhile, so I was trying to make sure it was good. Just checked the posting and the position is now gone.

goihowenfowenf

Le sigh.

At least I ended up having a somewhat relaxing day. It didn't start that way. I got a text from my manager yesterday to pick up my computer in case we were closed due to todays storm. Went to bed and had no idea what was going to happen. Had dreams about it all night. Alarm went off at 6:30, still didn't know. I needed to shower/wash my hair, which means 30 minutes with the blow dryer. I usually wash it the night before and let it air dry over night, but I forgot because I got so caught up in the game. So I waited about 20 minutes, still nothing. Got in the shower and as soon as I got out I got the text we were opening at noon. Of course. I looked at the weather report and just decided I was working from home all day, and as it turned out, so did 95% of the office. So, I sat on the couch with the cats in my Scooby-Doo pjs pants and a sweatshirt while watching the Destination Truth marathon (my TV husband :) ) and answered any emails that came in. My parents came home yesterday so my dad dealt with the snow :)

• Like 1

Current challenge

Fitbit
Forum Battle Log

Your Monday sounds awesome! So glad your parents are home. Will your dad show you how to use the snow blower?

Sent from my iPhone while riding a unicorn through the cosmos.

I doubt it. I've asked in the past and he just responds with "you won't be able to handle it."

Current challenge

Fitbit
Forum Battle Log