Anaticula - Fish Splashing Around

Anaticula

Heya, happy new year!

I've got a food tracking challenge this time round to, I'm surprised by serving sizes and also what's actually in some foods - there seems to be sodium flipping everywhere!

But it also helps you to see why you eat the way you do, like you have already mentioned stress eating, I've noticed I have weekend eating where I seem to think "it's the weekend so I'll eat what I want", it's become easy for me to see how I've gotten to the weight I have

Oh I know, serving size really throws me for a loop.  I was bought a bowl of prepackaged soup for lunch the other day, and it was only after I ate it I realized it was two servings.  Seriously? Who buys a bowl of pre-made soup then only eats half? I guess that's the company's way of making it look healthier than it is.  I have started checking labels for serving size before I eat it now.  

Good work with the food tracking... it is great to be able to see your eating patterns and to know which meals you are staying on track for.  I found after doing it for a while that I would sometimes say no to extra snacks just because I knew I would have to write it down. 

With your water goal, do you use a drink bottle to keep water with you to drink? Or do you just go to a tap and fill a glass? Having the goal of finishing a bottle by lunch or in 2 hours helps me to drink more. That and trying to get into the habit of drinking some water after I get up. I used to drink around 4 cups of water a day but found it wasn't that good for my body and I would drink less on weekends and always have headaches. I used a couple of drink bottles on my desk at work to make myself start drinking more as I tend to procrastinate refilling them. I also psychologically found it hard as I kept thinking that surely I was drinking waaay too much (at the 2L mark). Gradually I realised that my 'hunger' was really 'thirst' and now found that my body actually wants to drink around 3+ L per day... crazy..

I found in the past that if I buy a bottle of water I am more likely to drink it than if I just fill up a cup at the water fountain at work.  I suspect part of it has to do with the fact that I find myself wandering to the soda machine at work when I'm bored, and part of it is because as a kid my family had a water pump in our yard so we had ground water to drink, and now that I live in town I have to drink town water, and quite frankly I find it tastes funny. At home I usually make the crystal lite  lemonade to hide the taste. 

Current Challenge: Late start, but here at last.

Level 6 Magikarp

Past Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5

My NF Character and Epic Quest!

Day Three Summary

Fill the Pokedex - Logged everything. I had a meeting at work which meant I had to leave early, so I had to just eat off the fruit tray at the meeting for breakfast.  Fast food on my way home from the meeting for lunch, then a fairly decent supper. For once I didn't go over my calories. :D If I hadn't exercised I would have been over by 55 calories, but likely had I seen that I would have not had my snack that night.  Feels great to have logged everything and not gone over. :)Grade: A.

Use Health Potions - Yesterday was one week with no soda. Quite pleased with that.  Had five glasses of water, including turning down fries and soda at lunch for just a bottle of water to go with my burger, so even though I didn't drink as much as I would have liked, I did well. Grade: B.

Battle - I worked out, but it wasn't my trainer's plan.  I was supposed to swim, but with the temperature so low I decided not to.  The pool may be heated, but it's outside.  It was in the 50s and the wind was blowing horribly, so I instead decided to make up my rowing from the day before.  There' wasn't a rowing class available, but there was an RPM class.  R has told me in the past I can swap out rowing and RPM, so I headed there.  It was an instructor I'd never had before, and damn, she was tough. Usually they have you add one maybe two gears at a time to make things harder, but she had us adding 6 or 8.  At some points I wasn't sure if I would be able to move my legs at all because the gears were so high.  I made it through class though even though it was a struggle.  The gym was too crowded to do the upperbody exercises I was scheduled, so I did the lower body ones from the day before.  I'm planning to go straight there after work and get both yesterday's upperbody and today's core workout done. He also has me doing a 6 mile run, which I'll have to do on the treadmill as it's going to be dark soon.  I can't make up yesterday's swim because today is supposed to be even colder as it's not going to get above 39F today. Maybe it'll warm up over the weekend and I can do it then. Grade: B. I made up a workout, but I missed one.

Learn Spanish - Nothing, didn't get a chance to work on this because I was trying to fix my bike tires. 

My bike tires are killing me. I had purchased a new inter tube and put it in the tire.  It aired up fine, I got the tire back on the bike. And it was low. WTF?! Gah!! Plus, my back tire, the one the guy at the bike shop changed was also low! What's going on?? Will the change in the weather make the tires go flat like that? Is it just me screwing something up (wouldn't surprise me, but I did everything like I was instructed)? Did my cat use it as a scratching post and pop the tire (are cat claws able to go through a tire and pop the inner tube)? I'm at a loss. I'm going to take the bike to the bike shop this weekend and have M watch me change the tire to see what I am doing wrong. R is out of town, so I can't have him do it. I don't want to have to take my bike to the shop and have M change the tire every time it goes flat even though he has told me lots of people do this. It's just soooooooooo FRUSTRATING.

Level 6 Magikarp

I didn't do anything to my tires, but today they aren't as flat? Still kind of low, but not as much as the other day. I don't get it. Maybe it is the weather? I know that air expands and contracts in heat and cold, but I didn't think it would be enough to affect my bike tires. Who knows. 

Day Four Summary

Fill the Pokedex - I snacked all day yesterday due to boredom, yet somehow didn't go over my calories for the day once my workout was added in. I have to go grocery shopping this week and buy food for my lunches so I can prepare my snacks for work.  This is an issue I consistently have problems with, eating because I'm bored at work. Grade - A.

Use Health Potions - managed to drink 7 glasses of water yesterday. :D Went out to eat and got water instead of soda even, quite happy with that. Grade - A.

Battle - didn't go so well.  I did the upper body strength I was supposed to do the day before, and half of yesterday's running.  I didn't do the core workout becuase I didn't know what half the moves were, and I didn't swim as it was way too cold. Today I'm supposed to go for a bike ride and a swim, but it is still way to cold for swimming. Grade - C.

Learn Spanish -  none today.  Going to do a lesson or two this weekend though. 

In other news, I'm getting ready for my Mystery Party I'm doing. I still have a few people I have to hear back from about what characters they want to be, but I've managed to get most of the important characters assigned. I'm planning the menu, and going through all the games to get stuff assigned. I'm also looking through costumes to figure out what I want to wear.  I hope people dress up, but I suspect that many will just wear normal clothing, oh well, as long as everyone has fun. Most of my guests are as excited as I am about the party and several have offered to arrive early to help decorate if I need it.  I'm really looking forward to it.

• Like 1

Level 6 Magikarp

You're certainly kicking butt at this whole food tracking thing!

I second what @deborahjade said about water bottles, I drink way more from my 2L Nalgine than a regular cup. But I also put some lemon or lime concentrate into my water (the little bottles can be found in almost any grocery produce aisle) and that helps mask any weird taste. Los Angeles has terrible tasting water too.

For the bike tires here is what comes to mind.

1) The tires will get flat on their own over time. And not as much time as you think. If you're not riding every day this happens faster. I find I have to top off my tires every 3-4 days even when riding a good amount.

2) You might have very small holes, take the tubes out and submerge them in water, if you see a stream of bubbles coming from somewhere, you have a puncture. Luckily they're easy to patch.

2a) if you are getting small punctures, make sure you're being careful while changing the tire as you may be accidentally puncturing the tire, or getting the tube caught in between the rim and tire.

2b) take your tube out of the tire and run your fingers around the inside of the tire and make sure there are no sharp bits. You may have somethings stuck in there that is puncturing the tube each time you install it.

Hope that helps!

• Like 3

So I've had a rough week but I am back at last. I've only done about half my food tracking, I'd track breakfast and lunch then skip out on tracking dinner.  I haven't worked out any this week. At work I've been trying to prepare for a big project that is due tomorrow, and at home I've just either read or slept. The only think challenge wise I've done correctly this week is staying away from the soda. I really wanted a coke pretty much every day for the past week, but I've managed to get water or lemonade instead.  The one time I caved and was going to buy a coke, the machine refused to take my money, which I now find pretty funny. Classes have started again, and I have a rough semester ahead. I'm worried that I'm going to be trying to take on more than I can handle. If I can just stick it out until May things will ease up a bit, but that's months away. I'll admit, part of the reason I didn't exercise this week is because I'm dreading my race this weekend. I'm not prepared and I know I won't be able to finish, so part of me is asking why I'm even bothering with running in it. I feel like if I go and don't finish I'm going to disappoint a lot of people, but I know that I am simply not fast enough to finish it. I'm also really worried about the half Ironman in April.  I wonder if I'll be ready for it or not. My doubt is getting the better of me. All I can do though is try to pull myself together by this weekend and see how far I can go, then actually make myself start training again next week. Maybe the whole fake it till you can do it thing will work. :P 

My bike tires are still low. I've not done anything with them all week because of the above reasons, but they aren't totally flat.  I'll air them up when I get home and see how they hold up.  I can then try putting them in water to see if I can find leaks anywhere. I checked the tires for sharp objects when I first started changing them last week, but I'll check again to see if I missed something. 

The party isn't until late in February, but I'm looking forward to it.  I've got everyone's characters assigned, and given to them.  I created a facebook event for it as most of the people going are on facebook, and people are posting in character every now and again. I think I assigned characters way to soon though, I should have told people who their characters are, but then waited to send out the pre-game clues until a week or so before the party as I think people will loose interest between now and the end of February.  Oh well, learning experience for if I do it again. :P

I'd like to read through other people's challenges for a bit, but I have to get back to work on this project, no where near done, and it's due tomorrow. Hopefully I'll be able to finish in time without having to take it home tonight and get to catch up on how everyone is doing this weekend.

Level 6 Magikarp

Sorry your life is so hectic right now. I understand what that's like! Do what you need to do for your sanity's sake, and that's great that though you haven't been able to exercise, you've at least restrained yourself from sodas. Any victory counts. :)

As for your race on Sunday, that's the half marathon, right? You've heard this advice before, but if you do it, no matter if you finish or not, you're still doing better than a couch potato. And who knows, you might surprise yourself. :) I've run races where the week before I did them I hadn't done a single bit of training and managed. One week off isn't going to ruin months of dedicated training like I know you've been putting in! Barring health issues and injury, I say: go for it. If you finish, awesome. If you don't, still awesome because at least you went out there.

Best of luck on your project and your race!!! I hope things settle for you sooner rather than later!

• Like 1

Vicki | Sheikah Bard | Level 13

STR 32.5 | DEX 51.1 | STA 25.5 | CON 37.1 | WIS 26.0 | CHA 31.3

blkhoe24601 Gains the Power to Revolutionize the World

Past Challenges: 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13

2016 Battle Log

Actually a lot of runners don't run much the week (or two depending on race distance) before a race = taper.

• Like 1

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.

Mileage

Swim 11.1/18 miles

61.7%
61.7%

Bike 207/465 miles

44.5%
44.5%

Run 44.9/101 miles

44.5%
44.5%

You have been pushing yourself so much.  You have achieved so much.  Go to the race.  If you fail what is the worst that will happen and what if you succeed?  Either way you gain experience and learn.  I was pathetically slow on my half marathon but I met some great people and learned a lot during the event.  I did finish before time but there were moments where I wondered.  My last 2-3 weeks of running were crap to be frank.  I only had one great run going into the event.  You can do this.  

Take those doubts about April and turn them into motivation to train harder and not miss workouts.  You have accomplished so much and I honestly believe you can do it!

• Like 1

Food Fight - current challenge

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

2015 - 22.5 bugs consumed

Chasing down the most awesome version of myself one step at a time.

The Character Battle Log 1 Daily Mile

Thanks everyone, I appreciate it.  Going to go and do my best and see how far I can make it. Told my trainer in my session this morning about my worries about not being fast enough to finish and his response was either go faster or once they make you quit move to the sidewalk and finish on your own. :P  There should be some other teammates running, so I think that it'll be good to see everyone.  We haven't all been together in a while as everyone kind of went their separate ways for winter. 

My session with R this morning was cut a little short this morning, but I was quite glad of it.  After not having worked out all week I really felt out of shape at the gym.  However, in spite of being stressed and not working out, I did manage to lose a pound this week.  I suspect only because I was able to stay away from the sodas and logging my food at work kept me away from the vending machines. I'm getting my schedule organized now, so even with work, classes, training, and everything else I have to do next week should not be as chaotic. This means I'll be able to get my workouts in like I am supposed to. I'm no longer feeling exhausted constantly, so I think I'm going to start going back to the gym before work a couple days next week and see how that goes.  It's too cold for me to want to swim, but there are some rpm classes, and I can always just bike inside on my own. I find that when I was working out before work each morning in the fall I felt better even though I was exhausted.  Hopefully going three days a week instead of all five will be just right. 

• Like 1

Level 6 Magikarp

There is the Grandman Triathalon over here on the Eastern Shore of AL May 30, 2015. I think it may be a quarter of an Ironman, if you don't feel like you are up to the half in April. (However, I think that you can absolutely do the half with the way you put your mind to things).

I am thinking about doing it, if my foot will cooperate for getting into jogging shape at any rate.

During my free time at work when I can grab a few minutes away from working on this project I've started sorting which races I want to do.  Signed up for this one, so maybe I'll see you there.

Also signed up for a Shamrock Run on March 14th in my hometown, the Baton Rouge Color Run, and because it'll be interesting to see how much my time has changed by the time it rolls around, the Girl Power Triathlon in September.  This is the 1st one I did, so it'll be the same course but hopefully I'll be much faster!

• Like 1

Level 6 Magikarp

You've set some incredibly ambitious goals for yourself. And it's fantastic if you can do them, but if you do miss them, remember that they were quite ambitious to start and you've come an incredibly long way in the past few months. Couch to marathon and half ironman in less than a year is a lot for anyone. So you are not allowed to beat yourself up for not completing these things if you get to them and can't! You've accomplished so much in the last few months without them!

I, on the other hand, don't tend to push myself enough. Seeing you push yourself is part of what made me finally sign up for a triathlon, which I've been thinking I should do for a while, and also to sign up for the Sprint vs. the Try a Tri distance. But that will be with over 5 months of preparation, and will be 6 years after I first did a 5k race (I actually did my first 5k at the same event).

"None of us can choose to be perfect, but all of us can choose to be better." - Lou Schuler, New Rules of Lifting for Women

Yep if you end up slower than you want then finish on your own.  Knowing you did it even after the official event is over is just as awesome.  You have so many great raced planned.  

If it is worth anything I want you to know all you have done and plan to do is very inspiring for me.  You are awesome.  I may not have $ for events I think would be great does not mean I will not do the distance on my own.   

According to Edna Mode in The Incredibles, "...Go.  Confront the problem!  Fight!  Win!".  That is exactly what you will do.  You have done it before in the face of doubt and you will do it again.

Food Fight - current challenge

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

2015 - 22.5 bugs consumed

Chasing down the most awesome version of myself one step at a time.

The Character Battle Log 1 Daily Mile

Louisiana Half Marathon Race Report

I woke up around 4 am because I just couldn't sleep anymore, and was on my way to Baton Rouge by 4:45. I ended up parking at the same parking garage as I did for the Women's Half Marathon, which was a mistake, because it was a mile away from the start/finish line. After a quick walk I arrived at the sign in booth where I picked up my race number.  They were out of the goodie bags, so they told us they would mail them to us and that we could pick up our shirts after the race.  I found a spot outside to wait as it was still like an hour before the race.  While I was waiting a woman came up to me and told me that she had watched my finish the Woman's Half, and wished me luck. We chatted for a minute or two then she left to pick up her stuff.  I wandered on over towards the starting line where I ran into several teammates. For several this was their first time doing a marathon or a half marathon, and we were all kind of jittery. I had done the Woman's but I was the last one across the line, and they had a longer time limit, so I was very worried that a few miles in I would be forced to stop for being too slow.  Add in that I hadn't exercised at all last week, and I was really worried. My teammates decided to line up near the starting line, and as the race would be starting in waves every fine minutes I decided to join them.  I figured I'd need all the help I could get in beating the time limit. 

1395234_10205072350799999_60488978754797

1526789_10205072351160008_83367265810364

Even as close to the line as we were we would be the second wave.  The first wave was reserved for the Angie's Angels, a group of runners who push people who cannot run on carts to the finish line.  They work in groups of three runners per cart, so they can take turns.  Even with them pushing the carts and doing the full marathon, I think they all beat me to the finish line. :P They got to start 5 minutes before the race began, so that they would be on their way when the next group began.  I was part of this group.  About 5 minutes into the run, I was the last person in this group. 

10896833_10205072351600019_7758577673643

The first mile or so was through a construction site, and the road was rough.  We had been warned about it though, and just before mile one things got better.  However, being Louisiana, the rest of the road was still full or potholes and cracks, just not as big.  There were several official water stops along the way, and many un-official ones, as we were running through the college campus for a while, and passed many frat/sorority houses, there were Uni students handing out alcohol, mardi gras beads, gel packs, granola bars, bananas, apple cider, orange juice, and so on. Part of the race passed the cage where the university tiger mascot lives, and several runners swung wide to get a photo with him before joining back up with the race. There were also lots of kids out watching the race, as we ran through several suburban areas.  One kid who couldn't have been more than 5, had screamed himself hoarse by the time I made it there cheering people on.  He wasn't letting having no voice left stop him though and cheered for every single person who passed. 

I knew at mile 11 the race would split, with the marathoners taking a right and doing their extra miles before meeting back up with us on the next block, so my goal was to not be last before reaching mile 11.  As long as I could make it there I'd be allowed to finish because there would still be people doing the full marathon finishing after me. I was quickly passed by the later waves of runners, so I was worried, I'd occasionally check over my shoulder to see if the cop car was behind me.  At mile 6 I received great news.  While I was running past I heard one cop mentioned over the walkie that the last runner had just hit mile 5.  I began to think I would actually make it.  At about mile 7 I started to run into problems though, up until here I had been averaging 17 to 18 minutes per mile, which is really fast for me, and was being steadily passed.  I had coated my feet in Vaseline to prevent blister, I've done races with and without it, and it works, but I hadn't put enough on my right foot, so I could feel blisters starting to form, and I started slowing down. I kept telling myself that I just had to make it to mile 11. I started running less and walking more. I meet up with a few other runners who were walking also during this mile and we would encourage each other while next to each other, then keep on going.  One guy, like me, was worried that we would be picked up by the police for going to slow, but I showed him that across the lake we could still see a few people behind us, and no cop car in sight. Another lady was having really bad leg cramps and had to stop every half mile to stretch. I'd pass her stretching, then she'd run past and I'd catch up with her again. There were lots of casual bikers and runners out near the lake, and they'd tell us to keep going.  Also, several runners had people on bikes riding next to them with water bottles to keep them going. It felt like ages, but eventually I came close to mile 11, the cop waiting there told me to keep going, and to take my time, because once I reached mile 11 I would have several more hours before they had to close down the streets.  He told me that many of the other runners had given up by this point, but to keep going. I felt sad for those who had quit, but glad that the police were supportive in letting me finish. A block later I met up with the marathoners. By this time I was walking, I would try to push myself back into a jog, but after only 30 seconds I'd drop back in to a walk. My time fell from 17-18 minutes a mile to 20-22. However as there were now more runners on the road, I heard lots of encouragement, for myself and others. One pair of guys passed me and I heard the first one telling the second they were going to finish together even if he had to help carry his friend to the finish line. A runner from my team passed me and yelled for me to keep going, because we were almost there. There were more spectators out now, standing on the corners cheering for us.  Eventually we reached the bridge. It's a steep overpass that goes over a few streets and such, and climbing it is horrible.  We had to cross it both on the way out and the way back. I wanted so bad to just sit and stop, because climbing it while fresh was difficult enough, but climbing it while tired was the worst thing ever. I think part of the only reason I made it over is because C who runs the Q50 races was there cheering us all on. He was getting pictures of everyone as they climbed it. And I find it's a little easier to force yourself to do thing when you have people you know cheering for you.

10929911_10205072352720047_7123105684150

Just on the other side of the bridge the 12 mile marker appeared. Now I just had to make it through one more mile and I would be done.  I eventually reached the home stretch, where the crowd was thick and lining both sides of the road yelling for us. I managed to force myself back into a shuffling jog and run the rest of the way. By this time I was so exhausted, but happy I was tearing up and trying not to cry. I slowly limped my way to the finish line and crossed at 4:29:55, roughly 20 minutes longer than my last race, but thrilled to have made it.  Across the line my coach and teammates were waiting for me.  About a minute after I finished another teammate came in from the full marathon.  Our coach got a photo of everyone together.  Two team mates are in the photo because one had already gone home, and another wouldn't finish for another hour because she was doing the full. It felt so great to have made it.

10931270_10205072352920052_2199391269512

10931477_10205072353240060_7392034929361

10922506_10205072352440040_8944195867642

There was a finish festival going on so I limped over that way.  I stopped fist at the first aid tent where they were helping people stretch and all, and got one of the people working there to help me.  That was nice, because my legs weren't as sore the next day as they were after my first one.  Next I grabbed something to eat and drink from one of the booths.  Then after picking up my t-shirt I began the mile long walk back to my car.  My legs hurt so much I had to stop several times to sit, and it ended up taking nearly an hour to make it back.  Once I go home I collapsed on the sofa and refused to move. Luckily I was off work yesterday and I was able to spend a second day resting.  My legs are still sore today, but not as much as they were after the first half marathon.  I am having trouble with my shoulders though.  They hurt like heck.  Evidently I tense up when I run, and I didn't think to stretch them after the race, so they are still in pain.  Today I'm actually in more pain from them than from my legs, although walking is still difficult.

I'm so glad I went ahead and did the race even though I was afraid I wouldn't be allowed to finish.  I may be in pain, but I feel so great for having been able to do something I wasn't sure if I could.  Thanks everyone who told me to go ahead and at least try it. :)

• Like 6

Level 6 Magikarp

Just caught up on your challenge. Well done on the half. I knew you could do it!

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"