Trolleybags sticks to it

Hornbeam

2014 was an odd sort of year. I did quite a bit of start/stopping on here. Did well on my maiden challenge, and then tried starting another a few times, but dropped off. Which I’m not going to beat myself up about. I still kept working out a bit, but I could have done with the accountability. 

The good news is that, while the early challenges petered out because life was tough, the last one petered out because life was brilliant. I fell in love. Simple as that. I met the person I aim to spend my life with, and everything else fell by the wayside. I make no apology for that. I’m incredibly happy. I’m also, coincidentally *coughs*, about a stone heavier than I was before I met her. I’m going to do something about that. 

So, this challenge is both simple and hard. I’m going to do one simple thing that I’ve been trying to do for a long time, and not yet succeeding at, and I’m going to do another simple thing that the modern world makes ridiculously hard, it seems. They are:

1. Finish Zombies Run 5k training, and then run a 5k. I’m on week 4, so my next run will be halfway through the programme. I've never made it past week 5. That changes. (STA:2 WIS:2)

2. Whole30. My skin, my sleep and my brain have asked specially. The rules are straightforward, which is great. Those rules will baffle most of my nearest and dearest, which may be trickier. But I can do 30 days. Yes I can. (CON:4)

3. I'm also going to take more care of my mind. I went on a silent retreat in November. It was utterly wonderful, helped me a lot. But, as these things sometimes do, my meditation practice has slightly fallen by the wayside since I returned to my life in London. Oh, and got blindsided by falling in love (did I mention?). To quieten my mind, I’ll be doing yoga after my running and strength workouts (from doyogawithme.com, which I’ve just been introduced to), and ten minutes of meditation after that. Start the day right. (DEX: 3 CHA:2)

Life Quest. Move nearer my girlfriend. I moved in October to an area of North London I’ve wanted to move to for years. And then I met her, and fell, and everything changed. The commute between us is an hour and a half. That’s unacceptable, and is slightly clogging up both our brains with logistics. So I’m going to aim to get closer, and thereby have more time and brain space! (WIS: 2)

Every one of these, I feel, could have wisdom points associated. But I’m going to stick with what I’ve put. No strength points this time. I’ll still be working on strength, but I’m not putting a quest in. This is about finishing what I’ve started, and proving to my self that I can stick to habits.

Here’s to it!

Hornbeam

Level 3 High Elf Scout

STR: 3 | DEX: 0 | STA: 5 | CON: 4 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 2

current challenge

"Higher, Lighter, Simpler, More Joyful"

Looks like a great challenge. Glad you are back and life is good! 

• Like 1

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Thanks, guys! It's very nice being back! I've missed ya!

Things are going all right so far. I'm in pre-whole 30 mode. Finishing the book, putting together a meal plan, clearing out the larder of bad stuff. Eggs and greens for breakfast, and then an hour long walk to work. Also spoke to my landlady about moving out, which she was very good about. Phew!

Realise I need to put in a specific goal for the meditation. Probably go with ten minutes, 3 times a week in order to not stress myself out, and allow for overachievement!

Hornbeam

Level 3 High Elf Scout

current challenge

Pretty damn good reason to fall off the wagon - congratulations!

I've tried the Whole30 before but for me, I think the shift from eating whatever into the W30 was too drastic.  Crash and burn after 5 days.  So I'm trying to work my way there slowly.  I am definitely interested to hear how it goes for you, I'm cheering you on!  Are you starting after Amsterdam (cuz yeah, Amsterdam!)?

Level 2 Boreal Scout

Nice goals! I did a 5k last challenge and it felt AWESOME to finally accomplish that goal! Also, good luck with the whole30! It'll be tough, but we got this :victorious:

• Like 1

Ranger | LEVEL 5 | Human

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Whether you think you can or you can't, you're right." - Henry Ford

CHALLENGES

Current Challenge

Sounds like a lovely - and delicious - trip!!

• Like 1

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Current Challenge: Return of the Persistent Priestess

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk

Amsterdam was ace. What a lovely city. Walks, museums, food. A lovely place to spend a few days, pre-Whole30.

Whole30 started today with eggs and veggies. Lunch was homemade soup. Dinner salmon, more veggies and a baked sweet potato. Got through it. Felt a bit headachey after the cycle ride home. Feels like I'm on the edge of carb-flu, but I've planned pretty well, stocked up the fridge and freezer at my place and my girlfriend's place. I feel like it's going to be hard, but I've got this. It's too important.

Fear the zombies might have to wait for this first Whole30 week while my body goes through the shock of the change. But it's all good.

Had some good quiet time while in Amsterdam - always like looking in churches, and get to spend a few mindful minutes while I'm there.

All good so far. Hope you guys are rocking it!

Hornbeam

Level 3 High Elf Scout

current challenge

Stay strong! The first few days are the hardest... power through those and you'll be set for the rest of the challenge. I tell people that I think 95% of surviving a Whole30 is preparation (since you essentially have to cook all of your own food) and it sounds like you've got that part nailed. Woo! 

Also, remember that Whole30 allows white potatoes. I still got carb flu symptoms on my first Whole30 but throwing in the occasional white spud seemed to help. 

Oh, bad haircuts are the worst. It probably looks way worse to you than it does to anyone else. Can you see a different stylist to have it corrected?

• Like 1

There is a road, no simple highway,
Between the dawn and the dark of night,
And if you go no one may follow,
That path is for your steps alone.

Respawn. | #1 | Current Challenge.

Ha! Stick that, bad haircut! You have not detailed me! Not even when I got home and found a Twirl in the cupboard! Ha, I say!

I've found, so far, that the getting-hit-by-a-truck hangover phase hasn't kicked in. I'm sure it will, but I'm being lulled into a false sense of security. Which might be dangerous. Or not. Who knows?

I think my biggest problem with whole30 will turn out to be lack of imagination. It's not so much the foods I'll crave as the convenience, I suspect. Still, a good whole30 day today. (I did eat lunch rather late - need not to do that). Temptations came and went.

Thanks for the encouragement, Ripple. I'm starting to think I can do this. Like the 100k walk I did last year, it's just one foot in front of the other.

Hornbeam

Level 3 High Elf Scout

current challenge

Halfway through Zombies, Run! 

I ran! Not much, but I ran. During the first week of Whole30, too, which I'm pleased about. Freeform sections were pretty much all walking, but still. Pretty proud of that. Whole30 is affecting my head more than my body, so I've been a little bit blue the last couple of days. Getting anything done has felt like an achievement, so I feel able to pat myself of the back.

It's also time to change my avatar to my actual face. Particularly this picture, which is me finishing the 100K walk I did last year. I can do that, so I can do this. Getting inspired by my past self seems a reasonable way of proceeding!

Hornbeam

Level 3 High Elf Scout

current challenge

Nice job keeping up the running during whole30! Exercise was definitely tough for me too during my first week of whole30. I felt pretty tired and weak and couldn't do much. They say 80% of weightloss is diet though so any exercise you do in addition is just icing on the cake! Keep up the good work :nevreness:

• Like 1

Ranger | LEVEL 5 | Human

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Whether you think you can or you can't, you're right." - Henry Ford

CHALLENGES

Current Challenge

Thanks, knittysimone. Today's been all right. Leaned a little too heavily on fruit, but nothing off-plan. Went to a friend and walked there and back which was just shy of two hours walking. Getting some work done too, which is helpful.

Going to dinner with friends tonight. They're dairy and wheat free, so it shouldn't be too tricksy.

Hornbeam

Level 3 High Elf Scout

current challenge