giphy.gif

right. well. last challenge had its ups and downs [as is to be expected] but it ended with a catastrophic down. so i'm dusting myself off and trying again. pictured above is how i plan to deal with this challenge.   ^_^

long-term goal: 19% bodyfat
i'm currently ~25% and i have been for quite a while. i joined Nerd Fitness in July of 2013. from then until now i have been trying to drop these last few pounds of fat. physically, there have been a few small changes [both forward progress as well as back-sliding]. mentally and emotionally, however, i am in a much better place than ever before. i think the kind of progress i've made is the most important, and i'm extremely thankful that i'm able to love myself the way i should, but these last 5 lbs are really starting to get on my nerves...

1. don't eat that shit! reprise - no sweets
giphy.gif

in the previous challenge, i tried to track my food every day and stay at a caloric deficit. it's a great idea in theory, and last year i probably could have done it, but my life has changed and i don't have the time or discipline that i used to. so i'm taking out the extra effort of recording every dang calorie and just cutting out sweets all together. no more guess-work. no more excuses. just results [i hope!]

2. do what you love - get up and move around 5 days/week
giphy.gif

i already have a habit of taking a brisk 15-30 minute walk every day at work, so that's a good start. i also meet up with a friend 2 times a week to jog [which, surprisingly, i am really starting to love!] but more than that, i have to re-commit myself to exercise. i've got a punching bag, rock climbing shoes, a bike, running shoes, a weighted vest, and lots of knowledge about bodyweight exercises. i always have fun working out. it's just making myself do it that's the hard part.

3. pen to paper - write 700 words/day, 5 days/week

giphy.gif

as you may or may not know, i have aspirations of becoming an author. during the last challenge, i finished my first book. now, i've started work on my second book [which will be the first in a series]. i need to write on this thing HARD, and i also need to publish the first book. i have a feeling it will need quite a bit of overhauling before i send it off to the press, which i don't even want to think about because i am just so done with that story, you know? anyway, it's something i have to do. i'm really proud of the work i've done so far. i know i can shine it up and make it even better, but it's hard.

giphy.gif

other things i want to do more of during this challenge:

witchy things - Tiberius got me a whole bunch of spell ingredients and a freaking awesome Grimore for Christmas. plus i ordered a couple of wiccan almanacs for 2015 that have information about moon phases and herbs and all kinds of things. and on top of that, i did a lot of prepping this past fall so that i can have a garden this year. and having a garden means lots of green magic! so i'll read up on that, too.
violin/dance - right now i'm half way through a pottery class [another (early) Christmas gift from Tiberius] but as soon as that's over, i'm going to either start violin or dance lessons. i've been wanting to learn both for years and years and i finally have enough money, so i'm going to do it.

go to church - i grew up going to a typical non-demonimational Christian church, and i hated it. but my parents have started going to a really, really cool Mennonite church. whenever i've gone with them, i come home feeling full of wonderful peace and joy. so i think i should do more of that. i think peace and joy are good things to be full of.   :)

• Like 2

level 4 elf ranger
STR | 6    DEX | 5    STA | 6    CON | 4    WIS | 4    CHA | 8

Yaaaay mevre! :D  Great challenge, you're totally gonna hulk smash it!!

Ooo please keep us posted on your witchy things too - I did a lot of Wiccan research and light practice last year, and while I found out it's not completely the spiritual path for me, it's VERY awesome and I still enjoy integrating parts of it into my daily life!

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 50 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

»  kom starkru

oh sweet! i love finding sister witches! yes, i agree - i take bits and pieces that are applicable to my life and i leave the rest. as far as spiritualism and finding my place in the world, i'm not a big fan of all-or-nothing.  ^_^  but yes, i will keep you up-to-date on my witchy experiments!

• Like 1

level 4 elf ranger

wrote ~300 words this morning! not bad for an early start.  :)
also, just so you all know...
peppermint tea

peppermint has saved my life so many times. upset stomach? not any more! chocolate craving? oh, peppermint tea will take care of that! and it just smells so good! yum. something so invigorating and yet relaxing about a good cup of minty tea. definitely planning on growing peppermint in my garden this year.  :)
and that concludes my love letter to peppermint tea haha. what are your favorite teas? are there any i should try?

• Like 1

level 4 elf ranger

Oh gosh peppermint tea is a LIFESAVER.  If I'm having a particularly bad stomach day I'll brew one bag of peppermint tea with one bag of ginger tea and it's INSTACURE.  The taste takes some getting used to, peppermint and ginger are an interesting mix, but it's my go-to cureall!!

I'm a sucker for any type of licorice tea.  It's really soothing and kind of luxurious!  Earl Grey is another favorite, pairs GREAT with a rainy day and a good book! ;)

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 50 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

»  kom starkru

oooh, i never thought of combining ginger and peppermint! two of my favorite flavors though.  :)  i never like licorice tea as much as i think i will haha. i love the smell and taste of licorice, but for some reason in tea form it just doesn't do it for me. i picked up some cranberry tea on a whim yesterday and it was actually pretty good! there was also something called Breakfast in Paris, which looked like a regular breakfast tea with notes of lavender and something else. looked interesting, but i haven't quite made the leap to stronger black and grey teas... maybe it would be a good stepping stone in that direction though. will pick it up next time i'm at the store and report back!

the Grimore Tiberius got for me for Christmas had some kind of dark/sketchy stuff in it, so i tore out the offending pages and feel much better about having it in my home now. i'm excited to cleans and dedicate the book! waiting for a clear night with a full moon.   :moon:

level 4 elf ranger

oh sweet! i love finding sister witches! yes, i agree - i take bits and pieces that are applicable to my life and i leave the rest. as far as spiritualism and finding my place in the world, i'm not a big fan of all-or-nothing.   ^_^  but yes, i will keep you up-to-date on my witchy experiments!

I am very indebted to neoPaganism for helping me through some rough times when I was young and sharpening what I consider my "spiritual senses" so I was better able to find my home in liberal Judaism. I still integrate that pantheistic viewpoint into my philosophy, and some of my practices actually dovetail nicely with more traditional branches of Judaism (warding against Evil Eye, doing spiritual and moral self-reflection, ecstatic prayer).

tumblr_mppld0u8QW1szcng7o1_250.gif

Tzippi Longstockings, level 9 Ranger/Monk 

Battle Log - My Fitness Pal - Quest to Find My Epic Quest - Challenges:   #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7,

The Westerosi Fitness Tour: Dorne Stormlands Vale the Reach Westerlands The Wall 

MamaBear Kiss Off Waterbending Rounding <<Current

wrote ~300 words this morning! not bad for an early start.   :)

also, just so you all know...

peppermint tea

peppermint has saved my life so many times. upset stomach? not any more! chocolate craving? oh, peppermint tea will take care of that! and it just smells so good! yum. something so invigorating and yet relaxing about a good cup of minty tea. definitely planning on growing peppermint in my garden this year.   :)

and that concludes my love letter to peppermint tea haha. what are your favorite teas? are there any i should try?

Rooibos (red tea) is an herb from South Africa with a nice sweet flavor. I drink it with a touch of milk, and it turns into creamycaramelnomnomnom. Perfect for sweets cravings.

Battle Log - My Fitness Pal - Quest to Find My Epic Quest - Challenges:   #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7,

The Westerosi Fitness Tour: Dorne Stormlands Vale the Reach Westerlands The Wall 

I am very indebted to neoPaganism for helping me through some rough times when I was young and sharpening what I consider my "spiritual senses" so I was better able to find my home in liberal Judaism. I still integrate that pantheistic viewpoint into my philosophy, and some of my practices actually dovetail nicely with more traditional branches of Judaism (warding against Evil Eye, doing spiritual and moral self-reflection, ecstatic prayer).

it's amazing how neo-peganism seems to have a branch for everyone haha. for example, i first got interested in tracing my feminist roots back to the healing women and midwives of pre-enlightenment times. so i've always been more interested in green-witchery: herbs and healing plants, being in touch with the seasons and the changing moon cycles, things like that. and i still plan on becoming a doula one day soon.

Rooibos (red tea) is an herb from South Africa with a nice sweet flavor. I drink it with a touch of milk, and it turns into creamycaramelnomnomnom. Perfect for sweets cravings.

ah, rooibos! i first tried rooibos on a trip i took with my mom and her mom, so it has the bonus of being tied with some of my fondest memories. actually it's funny you should mention it now, since last night my mom found and returned the stash i hid and forgot about! been living without my favorite brand for a few years now, but no more!

level 4 elf ranger

just over 400 words written so far today. and once i finish off this scene, i should be right around 700!  *sigh of relief*  i love getting those first 700 words of the week out of the way on Sunday so that I don't have to do it on Friday haha

giphy.gif

level 4 elf ranger

Following~ Loving the goals!

In regards to Church, I am not at all religious but my mother in law performed in a choir with a Gospel church at Christmas and it was awesome energy.

This is usually me in Church... ._.

Just+a+couple+long+cold+sad+months+just+

Pixie Ranger Drunk on Tea~ (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

lol! yeah, the Mennonite church here has mercifully short sermons. and when the whole congregation is singing, it sounds heavenly. definitely a singing church, which is good in my book.  :)  i love those old hymns.

well i had quite a day at work today. my company reversed our paychecks. thankfully i have two month's worth of money in my bank account at any given time, so i wasn't hurt, but most people had a negative balance because of it. soooo needless to say, everyone was going absolutely crazy. and it was the first day back after the break, which probably didn't help matters. anyway, we made it through, and i think everything has been fixed. but wow. for a while there...it was looking pretty dicey.

i didn't work out yesterday, and i'm not feeling motivated to do it today either, but i know that failing to meet my fitness goal in the first week will just set me up for more failure. maybe i'll just go to town on my punching bag and work out some of those back-to-work feelings.  ;)

i wrote ~750 words yesterday. hoping to get to the same count today as well. pottery class on Tuesdays means i probably won't get as much written tomorrow, but i'll try to make it up. just don't make me write on Friday or Saturday!

level 4 elf ranger

:D  thanks so much Ceasefire! you are bomb-tastic. ended up doing two [or three? i can't remember] rounds of 3 minutes: beat the punching bag to a pulp, 3 minutes: jump rope. and i am EXHAUSTED! my god. how did i get so out of shape so quickly? i always have the notion in the back of my mind that doing boxing is sort of a cheat day, but i stand corrected. well..."stand" is a bit of an exaggeration. more like "slumped in a chair, trying not to use my arms too much." but a good cup of tea, and i will be re-charged and ready to write!

also, i really have to start working out FIRST THING when i get home after work. straight upstairs and change into workout clothes, then hit it hard and write. and then i can have the rest of the night to myself without any guilt! see guys, i'm learning! takes a while sometimes, but i am learning...  ;)

• Like 1

level 4 elf ranger

oh and for anyone who is interested, i listened to my "punchin' shit" playlist.

1. The Queen's Rebuke/The Crossing - The Decemberists

2. Boys Wanna Be Her - Peaches

3. Jumble, Jumble - The White Stripes

4. Seven Nation Army - The White Stripes

5. Icky Thump - The White Stripes

6. Bone Broke - The White Stripes

7. Black Math - The White Stripes

8. Rebel Girl - Bikini Kill

9. Tick - Yeah Yeah Yeahs

10. I Fink U Freaky - Die Antwoord
11. Cookie Thumper! - Die Antwoord

12. No Tears - Scarface

13. Man - Neko Case

14. There's No Home For You Here - The White Stripes

15. Do I Wanna Know - Arctic Monkeys
16. Primitive (Richard Vission remix) - Richard Vission v Luciana

...i may or may not have a soft spot for The White Stripes.   :wub:

level 4 elf ranger

also, i really have to start working out FIRST THING when i get home after work. straight upstairs and change into workout clothes, then hit it hard and write. and then i can have the rest of the night to myself without any guilt! see guys, i'm learning! takes a while sometimes, but i am learning...   ;)

Yep. I'm the same way. If I give myself any time to sit down or do much of anything else, working out either won't happen, or will happen late and crappily.

oh and for anyone who is interested, i listened to my "punchin' shit" playlist.

1. The Queen's Rebuke/The Crossing - The Decemberists

4. Seven Nation Army - The White Stripes

...i may or may not have a soft spot for The White Stripes.   :wub:

Add the entire soundtrack of Supernatural, Roxx in the Box, and pretty much all of Elephant, and you have my running playlist!

• Like 1

gaaaah, Elephant!!! freaking best album, ever. will have to check out the Supernatural soundtrack too...sounds interesting.  : ]

That's sort of a joke. Supernatural has been running for 10 seasons now, and there are classic rock songs (usually two or three) in every episode. 

tumblr_mvx3jeBqzc1slamnjo1_500.gif

Edit: I know "Eye of the Tiger" isn't classic rock. still on my workout list, though. /cliche

went on the longest run i think i've ever been on yesterday, and my legs have been screaming at me every since.  :D  haha i love and hate sore muscles all at once. hoping they've recovered enough by tomorrow to run again though. and then i'm planning on hitting the bouldering gym on Friday by myself. not sure how it'll be going alone...might be a really good time for self-reflection, and it might be terribly lonely. we shall see.  :)

writing has been kind of weird. Monday and Tuesday i wrote a total of ~800 words, but it was all meticulous storyline plotting that needed to get done. and i know that since i have those details all pounded out now, it will yield many more words per day than i would have been able to manage otherwise. so, mixed bag there, i guess.

didn't work out today because my legs are killing me and also because yesterday was such a non-stop day that i'm feeling the exhaustion today. so instead i've been greasing the groove: every time i go upstairs, i do as many pushups and as many pullups as i can. with how weak i've let my arms become, those aren't very high numbers, but i know that it's better than nothing.

amazingly, i haven't been having chocolate cravings, but i have been making myself crazy with wanting a burger, sweet potato fries, and a beer. we have really good burger places in town, too, which makes it so much harder... maybe on Friday, if i've been good all week. what do you guys think? is it more dangerous to give in to cravings, or to put them off and risk a binge later on?

level 4 elf ranger

just remembered, i had a little frustrating thing at work and wondered what you guys think.

i was really hungry today and my lunch was very small, so i popped into the cafeteria to get a snack. the only viable choices were yogurt parfaits [essentially sugar], little sandwiches on rolls rather than regular bread [carbs], and a cup of vegetables which were mostly celery and cucumber slices [water]. the yogurt and sandwiches would make me feel full, but the veggies were clearly the most healthy.

thoughts? opinions? what would you have chosen in a situation like that?

• Like 1

level 4 elf ranger

just remembered, i had a little frustrating thing at work and wondered what you guys think.

i was really hungry today and my lunch was very small, so i popped into the cafeteria to get a snack. the only viable choices were yogurt parfaits [essentially sugar], little sandwiches on rolls rather than regular bread [carbs], and a cup of vegetables which were mostly celery and cucumber slices [water]. the yogurt and sandwiches would make me feel full, but the veggies were clearly the most healthy.

thoughts? opinions? what would you have chosen in a situation like that?

I'd have sandwiches and veg, then try to have some extra protein later, like a HB egg or some fish.

went on the longest run i think i've ever been on yesterday, and my legs have been screaming at me every since.   :D  haha i love and hate sore muscles all at once. hoping they've recovered enough by tomorrow to run again though. and then i'm planning on hitting the bouldering gym on Friday by myself. not sure how it'll be going alone...might be a really good time for self-reflection, and it might be terribly lonely. we shall see.   :)

writing has been kind of weird. Monday and Tuesday i wrote a total of ~800 words, but it was all meticulous storyline plotting that needed to get done. and i know that since i have those details all pounded out now, it will yield many more words per day than i would have been able to manage otherwise. so, mixed bag there, i guess.

didn't work out today because my legs are killing me and also because yesterday was such a non-stop day that i'm feeling the exhaustion today. so instead i've been greasing the groove: every time i go upstairs, i do as many pushups and as many pullups as i can. with how weak i've let my arms become, those aren't very high numbers, but i know that it's better than nothing.

amazingly, i haven't been having chocolate cravings, but i have been making myself crazy with wanting a burger, sweet potato fries, and a beer. we have really good burger places in town, too, which makes it so much harder... maybe on Friday, if i've been good all week. what do you guys think? is it more dangerous to give in to cravings, or to put them off and risk a binge later on?

GREAT JOB! Writing is always something I think i want to do, but I never do it. Perhaps some challenge soon.

And great job on the run, too! Though sorry your knee is bad. If it was just the rubbery/wobbly feeling, that would be great (i love that feeling). And the pushup/pullup thing is a great idea!

I would put it off as a treat for later, but schedule it. Write it down on your calendar, and either go with a friend (who won't try to get you more and more beers), or on your own if you like eating alone (I love going to a restaurant with a book sometimes). It's possible the craving may be completely gone, but it seems to me dealing with cravings is sort of like dealing with toddlers. They have to learn about delayed gratification, and learning to make responsible choices. For me, that includes occasionally indulging in bad-for-me foods as part of my mostly virtuous diet.