Pavowski's Lack-of-Clever-Title Inaugural Challenge

Pavowski

I want to make it abundantly clear that I'm choosing this challenge as my first not because it's New Year's, but because I just found out about this area of the site, and I am excited about the opportunity and the -- well, challenge. I don't believe in New Year's Resolutions. I believe in making change when a change needs to be made. That being said, this is my first NerdFitness challenge, so shout at me if I'm doing it wrong!

I'm 34 years old, the father of two awesome kids, husband to one awesome wife, and I'm working on a novel in my spare time (ha!) outside of being a high school English teacher and soccer coach. I've been running for two and a half years, which has been my gateway drug into fitness: I picked it up and lost almost 30 pounds in 2012. I progressed fast, running a half marathon in 1:44 in 2013, which is not half bad for somebody like me. Since then, we've had our second kid, work has gotten more hectic, and the excuses have piled up. To make matters worse, I've been plagued with foot injuries this year, so my running has taken a gutpunch. I started running when I weighed in at 205 lbs after the birth of my son, got down to 177 around the time I ran that half marathon, and since then I've slid back up to 190. Now, 190 is not all that bad in the scheme of things, but I know me, and 200 is not that far off from 190. That's a little bit too close for comfort.

My immediate goal for fitness has always been weight loss, but over time and especially this year, my focus has shifted to overall health with weight loss as a side effect. I'm also pretty confident that the injuries came because I was working too hard to keep progressing with my running and didn't do any other sort of training at all. Because of that, as I build my runs back up, I want to build some more total body fitness to make myself a little bit more resilient.

My feet are getting healthy again, and I've been working on the bodyweight exercises here at NerdFitness. I feel like I've built a reasonable base to progress to some more challenging stuff -- I'm never going to be a go-to-the-gym-and-lift-all-the-weights guy, but I've built myself a plyo box, got a few kettlebells and am getting some gymnastics rings very soon. In other words, it's time to get real.

Main Quest: 25 lbs weight loss. Avoid re-injury.

Quest 1: 30 pull-ups in a workout. Currently I can do about three sets of 5 comfortably (well, as comfortable as pull-ups can be), but I know in my heart I'm not completing a full range of motion (elbows are still a bit bent at the bottom of the rep), so I need to clean up my form. 3 sets of 10 would be a great notch in the belt. +5 Str is at stake here.

A = +1 per set per week

B = No extra reps, do extra sets

F = no improvement

Quest 2: Cut back on the alcohol. My wife and I typically have a glass of wine after the kids are asleep. There's nothing wrong with that, but it's an indulgence I overuse (and I know it's holding me back from losing weight).Cut back to three nights/week. +2 Wis, +2 Con for clearer thinking and fewer toxins in my innards.

A = 3 or fewer / week

B = 4 - 5 / week

C = 6 / week

Quest 3: Push my long run back up to eight miles. I'm currently running 5 miles on the weekend, and I love what it's doing for me, so I need to keep it going. Speed doesn't matter for me at this point, but I need that weekly long burn. +5 Sta on the line for recovering some lost endurance.

A = +.5 mi / week

C = no change for one week

F = no change for two weeks

Life Quest: God, there's so many I'd like to work on, but I think I'll make it a dad-improvement quest. So: get outside with the kids (and if possible, the wife) five days a week, whether it's for a walk in the stroller or just goofing around in the yard. +1 Cha for nice guy points.

Motivation: It starts and ends with the kids. I want to be the best dad I can be for them, and I want to make sure I'm around for a long time to see everything they can bring into the world. Hopefully, becoming a better dad will help me to be a better husband, too. As a side effect, I know that if I can get healthier, I'll think more clearly, and that'll make me a better writer. One thing feeds the next.

Off we go...

post-30045-0-56483200-1420228228_thumb.j

• Like 2

Level 11 Brutish Scoutsassin (That's totally a thing, shut up)

Str: 30 Dex: 26 Sta: 27 Con: 11 Wis: 23 Cha: 18

NerdFitness Trials: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Hellfire Club 4LIFE!

Inspiration comes in many forms. Watch me fumble towards it at Accidentally Inspired.

I saw some other members doing this and it seems a good idea, so I'm going to steal this first response and use it to report in and reflect each week.

Week 1 Report Card:

I almost ran myself into the ground because I was so focused on keeping my workouts rolling that I almost forgot to take a rest day!

Quest 1: Busted out bodyweight rows on my rings at every workout this week to change things up. At my last workout today, I went back to pull-ups. Last week, I did five per set. This week, I did six. That's an A.

Quest 2: This one's tricky, and technically the day's not spent yet, but I have a feeling that my wife and I are going to want a glass of wine tonight. I did a good job alternating during the week, but the weekend caught up with me. Had drinks on Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, and probably will have one tonight. That's a B, but for my first week of cutting back, I'm happy with that.

Quest 3: I have such doubt heading into my long run every week lately. I am doing much more running during the week thanks to soccer practices, and I wonder if I don't overtax myself on that front. Still, the rest day on Friday paid off, I think. I headed out Saturday with a slight tweak in the achilles that worked itself out after the first mile, but worked itself back in by the last mile. Still, no lingering pain, and to be honest, my foot feels fantastic today. Last week's run was 5.5 miles, and this week I ran a full 10k: 6.2 miles (I could have stopped at 6 miles even, but there's something broken in me that won't let me stop short of a checkpoint like a 10k). That's an increase of .7, and that's an A.

Life Quest: I picked the wrong season to take getting outside as an extra challenge. It's just been too darn cold to take the kids out with the frigid air that's settled in over the last week. I only really got the kids out once, though my wife and I may try again tonight. That said, I've made sure to do lots of wrestling and chasing and tossing indoors to make up for the weather. This one gets a C.

Overall: a pretty solid start to this challenge, despite the bitter cold air that might have deterred me from getting some runs in. Also, as a sidenote, my weigh-in had me down 3.4 pounds from last week. 3.4 pounds. I double-checked later in the day, and it held up. That kind of weight loss in a week is unheard of for me! I'm sure I'll rebound some this week, but a result like that is more than enough motivation to keep me pushing in week 2. The life quest drags me down a bit, but unprecedented progress on my overall goal brings me back up. I give myself a B+ for the week.

Week 2 Report Card:

I'd like to say I reigned in my zeal this week and approached week 2 with a little more balance, but that would be a lie. I kept my foot on the gas; I just think my body is adapting to the pressure this week.

Quest 1: I love my rings more every time I use them. I'm up to 10 rows per set now, and I'm even managing a few dips while I've got them out. Now, the rings aren't the quest, pull-ups are. But those rows are giving me gains with the pull-ups without making me feel burnt out, so I'm sticking to it. 3 sets of 7 pull-ups this week, with an extra rep on the last set just because I was feeling it. That's an A.

Quest 2: I rationed myself much better this week, only indulging in a glass of wine on Tuesday night. That was a conscientious decision because my wife and I like to splurge a little on the weekend, which we did on Friday and Saturday night. That's 3 drinks this week, and that's an A.

Quest 3: More doubt than ever before my long run this week, but I was out of my usual stomping ground so I switched it up and hit a trail for about half of the run. So glad I did! My heel issues were basically nonexistent on this run, and the usual walking-around pain I get after a long run has had all its bark taken out. There are good runs and then there are great runs; this was a great one. 6.7 miles (pain free!) gets me an A.

Life Quest: This one is where I've struggled, and will continue to struggle. Not because I can't do it, but because I picked the wrong time of year to try to get outside with the kids. It just isn't fun for them to be outside, which defeats the whole purpose. That said, the weather this weekend was gorgeous, and I got them to the playground yesterday and out for a ride in the stroller today. But nowhere near my goal of 5 outdoor excursions. Playtime in the house doesn't count. C, here.

Overall: I put .8 pounds back on this week, but I'm not stressing over that even a little bit after my huge loss last week. In short, I freakin' crushed it this week. If my life were a cartoon, I drop-kicked this week through the wall so hard it left a this-week-shaped hole in the wall. If only every week could be this solid... Well, the life quest pulls me off my high horse a tick, but the rest of the week is too good not to keep my head up. A- for the week.

Week 3 Report Card:

This week started out rough, and I felt exhausted by the end of it. But I didn't miss any workouts, and I pushed up in all the right places. Not much to say because I'm still so tired.

Quest 1: I had an extra set of pull-ups during the week instead of rings, since I didn't have time to break the rings out one night. Felt very solid, and by the weekend workout, I was able to increase my reps with... I don't want to say ease... well. Anyway, I got 3 sets of 8 pull-ups, which is an A.

Quest 2: Rationing continues, and it felt easier this week. So easy, in fact, that I arrived on Sunday night with one drink left to give. Considering the wife and I ran a long run together and she ended up hurting her back and spending the rest of the day laid up, I didn't feel bad at all having a glass of wine that night. That's an A.

Quest 3: Wife and I had a race this weekend (Hot Chocolate Atlanta), and though it wasn't a long distance in and of itself (just a 5k) we were both feeling solid enough after the race to head out for four miles after we were done. My mother was nice enough to watch the kids for the race and the miles after, so it was really an excellent day for runs. Until my wife hurt her back. Seems like she pinched a nerve or something, but she's really having a rough time of it. I'm okay, though, so with the 3.1 of the race and the 4.1 I ran afterward, that gives me 7.2 miles for my long run day, and though it wasn't contiguous, I feel pretty strongly that it could've been, so I'm going to count it. That's an A.

Life Quest: Yeah, soccer tryouts were this week, so I was late getting home almost every day. I made it up by getting outside with the kids yesterday (playing in the yard) and Saturday (taking them downtown in the stroller for the pre-race expo), but it's nowhere near what I'm trying for. Weather was and remains a factor. C.

Overall: This was a week that easily could've fallen through the cracks. While I slipped a little in other areas (my writing took a big hit this week) I stayed on top of the challenge. I'm tempted to give myself an A for overcoming the obstacles, but I gave myself extra credit last week on the life quest, and this week it needs to catch up with me. B+ for the week.

Week 4 Report Card:

Four weeks in already? Keep charging!

Quest 1: I don't always get to do my pull-ups and rows at the same time as the rest of my workout, because most of my stuff I do downstairs but the back exercises I do upstairs (my bar is upstairs but the floor squeaks and I work out while the kids and sometimes the wife are asleep). So I missed doing the back exercises during one of my workouts. I was a little worried that missing out might set me back but to the contrary, I had my easiest time with pull-ups yet, and got my 3 sets of 9 with relative ease. That's an A.

Quest 2: Yep, cutting back on the booze is getting easier and easier. Wife and I actually had a drink out at a restaurant this week (a rarity for us, just because it's so hard to get out without the kids!) and I made it to Sunday again with a drink to give. Of course, I had a wine on Sunday night. Still within the limit. That's an A.

Quest 3: This week's long run felt brilliant; the best I've felt on a run in a while. Foot issues related to my runs feel almost nonexistent, aside from a little tightness in the morning. Got my 7.7 and had sore legs for the rest of the day -- a sensation I've almost forgotten. That's an A.

Life Quest: Weather is still up and down, hot and cold, and it's just impossible to try to schedule this. Lots of chasing indoors, but very little outdoors. Note to future self in future challenges: Have a backup plan if the goal is to be outdoors with the kids. F.

Overall: From top to bottom, a pretty solid week. I don't know what else to say, except that I'm about to make all my goals for this challenge here in week 5... and then what do I do for week 6? B+ for the week because of my poorly-chosen life quest.

Week 5 Report Card:

One week to go. Suddenly the six weeks of this challenge feels like such a short time. Funny how that works, innit?

I built my goals with failure in mind. Not failure to achieve, but failure to be flawless. I know me, and I know my life, and it's hard not to miss workouts, and it's hard to avoid temptations, and ... life is just hard. So on my stair-step goals, I built in a week of failure to improve. Turns out, I haven't needed the extra week, and now my six week challenge is complete in just 5.

So... week six just became a week of no workouts, and extra ice cream, and slothing out in front of the television, right?

Quest 1: I've grown to love my gymnastic rings. The only drawback is I wish I could hang them near where I do most of my bodyweight workout, but I can't. There's no good spot for them downstairs. As a result, I always end up doing my pull-ups and rows separately from the rest of the workout. That means two things: I get more recovery time in between sets, and I tend to be fresher in general (I usually hit these later in the day). That could be grounds for a downgrade, but I'm so impressed at my progress with pull-ups and rows that I'm not going to pick nits. I'm up to 12 rows in a set and this weekend I got three sets of 10 pull-upsThat's an A. Challenge complete!

Quest 2: This one's getting almost too easy, and my wife and I have saved a bunch on the bottle or two of wine we were buying every week. I indulged Thursday, Friday, Sunday. That's an A.

Quest 3: Another great long run this weekend, in some truly gorgeous springlike weather. 8.2 miles in total, which is up .5 from the prior week. The bottoms of my feet were a little bit torn up after the run -- the only real sign my body gave me of any distress over the increased distance. Virtually no heel pain in either foot. Feeling so much more confident about my injuries. That's an A. Challenge complete!

Life Quest: I'm still not getting outside with the kids as much as I could, and I can't really blame the weather this week. We did get outside a good bit over the weekend, but nothing close to the 5 times I wanted. I think I'll try this goal again when I'm home over the summer. C.

Overall: Week 5 is in the bag. With just 1 week left to go, there's nothing in the way. Unless I catch the measles. A- for the week.

Week 6 Report Card:

Last time I mentioned how I had built my goals -- especially my progressive goals -- with failure in mind, so that I could have a week without growth. Life happens, right? And a missed workout is sometimes inevitable. I didn't anticipate using that cushion in week 6, when I hoped to be finishing with a bang, but... well... life happens. To be specific, Valentine's Day and an extended weekend happened, and I ended up spending time with the wife and getting things done around the house at the expense of some regularity with workouts. That said..

Quest 1: I put off my last workout until the end of the day on Sunday, just under the wire for the end of the challenge. At that workout, I got 3 sets of 11 pull-ups each. This goal was already met last week, but do we stop there? We do not. A+.

Quest 2: This one was a challenge this week, especially with the lack of routine that the workday brings. Those extra days off made for an extra long weekend, and the weekend is when we indulge the most. That said, we managed to imbibe only on two of the four nights in the weekend, which gives me an A.

Quest 3: This is where I came up short. The long run eats up a couple of hours on a weekend day, and I promised my wife I'd give her that time instead this weekend. So I didn't get a long run, though I did make up the lost day yesterday. Luckily, I met my goal on this challenge last week. With that in mind, I'm exempting myself from this one this week. No Grade.

Life Quest: Yeah, the weather still sucks. I got outside to kick the soccer ball around with sprout #1, but that was about it. C.

Overall: That's week 6 down! When I have a bit more time over the next day or so, I'll come back, tally up, and assess the challenge as a whole, but in a nutshell, I couldn't feel better. It would have been nice to finish the challenge with a bang, but I'll take my non-explosive victory and be happy.

Hellfire Club 4LIFE!

Inspiration comes in many forms. Watch me fumble towards it at Accidentally Inspired.

You must be a great dad, willing to do this for your childeren :)

I wish you the best of luck on your challenge

Doodlie for life, Pancake by choice
Spoiler

Challenge 12, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 

Challenges 2017: 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28

Challenges 2018: 29, 30, 31, 32, 3334, 35,

Challenges 2019: 36, 37, 38, 39, 40

Challenges 2020: 41, 42, 43, 44, 45

I dunno about great, but I'm certainly trying. Thanks for the vote of confidence, and best of luck to you, too!

Hellfire Club 4LIFE!

Here's my SMART goal evaluation:

1. Is your overall quest achievable (over a short or long period of time)?  Is it reasonable? 165 is a weight I've not seen since high school, which is almost half a lifetime in the past for me. However, just a few years ago I was down in the upper 170's, so I think it's achievable. It won't happen in this challenge, but it's a good goal to shoot for.

2. Do your 3 quests all build towards your main quest in little ways, or are you taking on too much? Do your quests have sub-quests or is it just one thing to focus on? I think each quest feeds the main one. The strength training should definitely help me out, cutting back on alcohol can't hurt, and pushing my long runs back will give me a nice burn on the weekend. They all pretty much speak for themselves (and are good things in and of themselves!) but they all definitely feed the overarching goal.

3. Are your main goals realistic? Can you scale them to smaller steps to fit your life better, even if it will make it take a little longer to achieve them? If I'm honest, my first goal may be a little tough to reach in this time period given that I'm trying to fix form AND increase reps on an exercise that's already tough as balls for me. I might skew it down a little bit for this first challenge pending the results of my first few weeks. The other ones are spot on: challenging but doable.

4. Are your goals able to be measured and tracked?  What will you use to track them? Each goal is eminently trackable. Pull-ups and beverages can be measured with good ol' pencil and paper; the miles will be logged by my old faithful Nike+ watch (anybody else on Nike+ running??)

5. How are you grading your goals?  Are they pass/fail (“every dayâ€, “not even once over the six weeksâ€)?  Is there a reward for the effort, or are you only grading yourself on whether or not you “lose the weight†or “run the distanceâ€? There's reward for making the effort, to be sure -- which is the right way to do it, I think. Much as we might like it if the world worked that way, sometimes the body doesn't always respond on a schedule. Weekly progress is acceptable.

6. What is your plan for continuing/altering/grading those goals if you become ill or injured? Hadn't really considered this one. The drinks won't be affected. Pull-ups I can do modified, perhaps bodyweight rows if need be. The run... god, I've been injured so much this year I don't even want to think about the possibility.

7. Did you take into consideration any special occasions (Labour Day, Independence Day, birthdays, anniversaries, etc) that may occur during the challenge?  What modifications do you need to build into your goals for those? I don't foresee any hurdles like this for me during this challenge. That said, there's flexibility within the goals themselves (points for progress, not a hard cutoff do-or-die) so there's that.

8. Do any of your main goals conflict with each other? Will one goal make it hard to do another? Not at all. Upper body strength, endurance, and willpower are a pretty nice complement.

9. Do you already have the time in your schedule to actually complete the goals you’ve set?  If not, what are you planning to do to make time for them? Pretty sure I do! I'm already alternating runs with workouts on workdays, so the only thing to make time for is the weekend long run -- which falls on the weekend, so game on.

10. Are you trying to build multiple habits, or is all your energy focused on your main quest? My goals are more refinement of habits I already have in place, except of course for the alcohol, which is a tapering of a bad habit -- does that count?

​All things considered, I think I did a sharpish job of picking goals to benefit my overarching aim. If anything, I might have made my quests #2 and #3 almost too easy!

Day 1 is in the books, and while 2 of my 3 goals aren't up to bat tonight, I did get out with my kids this evening (MAN that cold front is coming through!), so that's a point in my favor.

Hellfire Club 4LIFE!

Hi there!!

I’m Chris-Tien Jinn, an ambassador for the Assassin Guild. Despite the name, we are a VERY friendly guild, filled with people who enjoy a wide variety of activities and fitness goals!

For more information about the guild, stop by the Info & Announcements thread.  Also, check out the Assassin's Phonebook, which lists the names of people who are working on various aspects of fitness and life changes.  This is a great place to connect with someone who is working on goals similar to yours.  Don't be shy about following them or sending a message if you have questions!!!   

You can also stop by the Assassin's Den - a general chat thread in the guild forum – and introduce yourself.  You can always ask questions there, but I warn you that we tend to be pretty silly there and love to post gifs …. especially of cute animals!!

If you ever have any questions or need help with anything, let me know.  You can grab my attention by using the quote button at the bottom right corner of any of my posts.  I have the forum setting turned on to alert me when somebody quotes me using that button, so it's a quick easy way to let me know you're talking to me. You can also get in touch with me by posting on my own challenge topic or by using the forum private messenger system (the envelope button at the very top right of the screen).

Someone from the Assassin's Guild will stop by every week to check on your progress, but don't be a stranger!!  The most successful people around here reach out and get support from others - novices and veterans alike!  A great place to meet up with other (new) Assassins is in the Assassin Initiates Accountabilities Group   - stop by when you have a chance!!

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Current Challenge: Return of the Persistent Priestess

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk

I feel you about the New Year's Resolution thing. I almost waited until the next challenge because I didn't want to be lumped with those who make the resolutions and forget about them by February. But my kick in the butt came on Christmas. Got a couple gifts that would really help me get healthier.

At any rate, here we are. With our non-New Year's Resolutions. We'll kill on this challenge and then the next. We'll stick it out long past those resolutions that don't make it.

Good luck to you, mate.

• Like 1

I feel you about the New Year's Resolution thing. I almost waited until the next challenge because I didn't want to be lumped with those who make the resolutions and forget about them by February. But my kick in the butt came on Christmas. Got a couple gifts that would really help me get healthier.

At any rate, here we are. With our non-New Year's Resolutions. We'll kill on this challenge and then the next. We'll stick it out long past those resolutions that don't make it.

Good luck to you, mate.

Nothing wrong with making a resolution that happens to be at New Year's. Just make sure we don't crash and burn with the pretenders!

Best of luck to you as well, brother!

Hellfire Club 4LIFE!

Hi there!!

I’m Chris-Tien Jinn, an ambassador for the Assassin Guild. Despite the name, we are a VERY friendly guild, filled with people who enjoy a wide variety of activities and fitness goals!

For more information about the guild, stop by the Info & Announcements thread.  Also, check out the Assassin's Phonebook, which lists the names of people who are working on various aspects of fitness and life changes.  This is a great place to connect with someone who is working on goals similar to yours.  Don't be shy about following them or sending a message if you have questions!!!   

You can also stop by the Assassin's Den - a general chat thread in the guild forum – and introduce yourself.  You can always ask questions there, but I warn you that we tend to be pretty silly there and love to post gifs …. especially of cute animals!!

If you ever have any questions or need help with anything, let me know.  You can grab my attention by using the quote button at the bottom right corner of any of my posts.  I have the forum setting turned on to alert me when somebody quotes me using that button, so it's a quick easy way to let me know you're talking to me. You can also get in touch with me by posting on my own challenge topic or by using the forum private messenger system (the envelope button at the very top right of the screen).

Someone from the Assassin's Guild will stop by every week to check on your progress, but don't be a stranger!!  The most successful people around here reach out and get support from others - novices and veterans alike!  A great place to meet up with other (new) Assassins is in the Assassin Initiates Accountabilities Group   - stop by when you have a chance!!

Thanks for the support! I'm a Scout by nature but I feel like I want to develop some Assassin skills as well (having just invested in some gymnastic rings and humiliated myself with them has lit a fire under me).

• Like 1

Hellfire Club 4LIFE!

Yea, those rings taunt me at the gym .....

The scouts are a great bunch - have you found their guild forum??

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42

Yea, those rings taunt me at the gym .....

The scouts are a great bunch - have you found their guild forum??

I've had my hands full with the Recruit forum -- I haven't gone shopping around for my free agency yet :)

Hellfire Club 4LIFE!

Day 3 is mostly in the bag, so I thought I'd document...

Although really, I'm counting from Sunday, which was the day after my last long run.

Sunday: Bodyweight workout

Bodyweight squats: 25 / 25 / 25

Push-ups: 17 / 17 / 20

Bodyweight Rows (on rings): 7 / 7 / 7

Planks: 35s, 50s, 65s

Jumping jacks: 40 / 40 / 40

And some various bumbling around trying out my rings for the first time!

Day 1: 5k easy run.

No alcohol this eve.

Day 2: Bodyweight workout

Bodyweight squats: 25 / 25 / 30

Push-ups: 18 / 18 / 23

Bodyweight Rows (rings): 8 / 8 / 8

Planks: 40s, 55s, 70s

Jacks: 40 / 40 / 50

Followed by soccer conditioning with the team I'm coaching, at which I ran another 2 miles and did some various calisthenics (some random push-ups, burpees, and ab work)

Had one of my three weekly allotted beverages.

Day 3: 5k easy run - and boy was it cold!

No wine tonight, if all goes to plan.

Tomorrow: Bodyweight circuit again, probably at the same level as Day 2 (though I may press for a few more bodyweight rows).

In short, I'm off to a pretty solid start! My gains on the bodyweight circuit might look a little over the top but I'd been operating at Sunday's level for about a week. That said, I hope to continue going hard on those bodyweight rows (now that I finally have the apparatus to do them) because I feel those are going to be the best benefit for my pull-up side quest.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel great, even if my ankle gave me a little bit of tweakiness during Tuesday's runs. 

We always end soccer practice with this mantra, so it feels appropriate to use it here:

HARD WORK!

Hellfire Club 4LIFE!

I find your challenge inspiring. I hope to have similar fitness goals later on down the line. Keep up the good work. You are rocking it!

Thanks Van. But as we all know, the early days are the easy days. We'll see if I'm still rocking it in three weeks!

Hellfire Club 4LIFE!

I think you've got it in you to take this whole thing. You already had a solid foundation that you're building upon.

That's my hope anyway! A foundation is just a lump of concrete, until you build on it.

Hellfire Club 4LIFE!

Man...

Yesterday I was feeling as fatigued as I have in a while. Couldn't put a finger on why, because I've been in a haze of going back to work after a few weeks off (I'm a teacher) and energy over jumping into this challenge feet first. I left the house in the morning as out-of-sorts as ever (slogged through my workout, forgot my badge, almost forgot to make my lunch) and dragged through it. I did get the workout in, but that's about the only thing that went to plan. Then, when I was running soccer practice after school, it struck me about halfway through the second mile of the warmup run: I haven't had a day off in a week.

I had a long run on Saturday of last week and have been alternating runs with workouts every day since. It's been really productive, but it was also clearly leaving me drained. Now, I need a long run this weekend, and my wife works Sunday so I'm on daddy duty with the sprouts, which means Saturday is long run day...

And that means today is Rest Day!

I slept in for an extra half hour. I didn't run, I didn't work out, and I didn't even think about doing either one. (I did step out for a twenty minute walk on my lunch break at work.) I thought I'd feel like a slacker for not working out, but I tend to get so obsessed with momentum that I forget the importance of recuperating (and often end up taking a rest day by mistake -- like I just can't wake up for my alarm, and then I get down on myself all day for coming up short). This time I remembered, and it was just what the doctor ordered.

So, a much-needed rest day, and then it's on to the weekend for two more workouts in the first week. Saddle up!

Hellfire Club 4LIFE!

Great to happen on another English teacher dad in the early stages of NF - although I would perish attempting your first body-weight workout. Time to line out my quests - thanks for the ideas.

BigDaddy50

Lvl 0 Minotaur

(a bull-headed man. Is that redundant?)

STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0

"Fit by 50"

First Challenge

“All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.†

Great to happen on another English teacher dad in the early stages of NF - although I would perish attempting your first body-weight workout. Time to line out my quests - thanks for the ideas.

We all start somewhere. I get a serious kick to think that somebody at my level could be giving anybody ideas about their own training -- that's pretty high praise. Best of luck to you, fellow grammarian.

Hellfire Club 4LIFE!

Week 1 Report Card:

I almost ran myself into the ground because I was so focused on keeping my workouts rolling that I almost forgot to take a rest day!

Quest 1: Busted out bodyweight rows on my rings at every workout this week to change things up. At my last workout today, I went back to pull-ups. Last week, I did five per set. This week, I did six. That's an A.

Quest 2: This one's tricky, and technically the day's not spent yet, but I have a feeling that my wife and I are going to want a glass of wine tonight. I did a good job alternating during the week, but the weekend caught up with me. Had drinks on Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, and probably will have one tonight. That's a B, but for my first week of cutting back, I'm happy with that.

Quest 3: I have such doubt heading into my long run every week lately. I am doing much more running during the week thanks to soccer practices, and I wonder if I don't overtax myself on that front. Still, the rest day on Friday paid off, I think. I headed out Saturday with a slight tweak in the achilles that worked itself out after the first mile, but worked itself back in by the last mile. Still, no lingering pain, and to be honest, my foot feels fantastic today. Last week's run was 5.5 miles, and this week I ran a full 10k: 6.2 miles (I could have stopped at 6 miles even, but there's something broken in me that won't let me stop short of a checkpoint like a 10k). That's an increase of .7, and that's an A.

Life Quest: I picked the wrong season to take getting outside as an extra challenge. It's just been too darn cold to take the kids out with the frigid air that's settled in over the last week. I only really got the kids out once, though my wife and I may try again tonight. That said, I've made sure to do lots of wrestling and chasing and tossing indoors to make up for the weather. This one gets a C.

Overall: a pretty solid start to this challenge, despite the bitter cold air that might have deterred me from getting some runs in. Also, as a sidenote, my weigh-in had me down 3.4 pounds from last week. 3.4 pounds. I double-checked later in the day, and it held up. That kind of weight loss in a week is unheard of for me! I'm sure I'll rebound some this week, but a result like that is more than enough motivation to keep me pushing in week 2. The life quest drags me down a bit, but unprecedented progress on my overall goal brings me back up. I give myself a B+ for the week.

Tomorrow is Runday Funday again. Kick week 2 off right!

Hellfire Club 4LIFE!

You're rocking in!!!  Remember to rest, however.  I had to put THAT on my workout schedule this week ..... and also to force myself to get outside for a little exercise.  Well bundled up, I walked about 2 miles outside today before toes started getting pretty chilly.

Some sort of Jedi .....

Yeah, I will be planning better for a rest day this week. Won't make that mistake again! And, thankfully, the cold blast is subsiding a bit, so I'm going to love being outside this week.

Hellfire Club 4LIFE!

Haven't updated in several days, but man, it isn't for lack of updates.

I still just don't feel very confident doing a bunch of work on pushing up speed while my heel still feels shaky. Or at least, that's what I've been telling myself. That said, though, I did some intervals during my 5k on Monday morning, and they felt fantastic. I was able to go fast enough that my dog (who loves to pull me ahead when we start out) was slowing me down on the sprints -- and she is a pretty energetic little thing! Then, during soccer conditioning on Tuesday, I made the mistake of calling out one of the guys to run a hundred yards with me. I am not a sprinter. He beat me by about eight yards, but I will claim that as a victory, being twice his age and all.

Problem is, the next day (and in fact still today, two days later) my quads are destroyed. They're sore like they've not been in ages. On the one hand, that's a sign of a great workout, but ugh, even getting in and out of the car has been painful. But it's a good pain. Makes me feel ALIVE.

I've been slowly increasing reps on my bodyweight workouts. I finished my first set of 25 push-ups this morning, and got up to 10 bodyweight rows in a set on Tuesday, and I just keep upping the ante on squats because... well... it feels like the thing to do. Even with blasted quads, I'm up to doing three sets of 26 now, the thought of which has past me hyperventilating on the floor like a fish.

My goals this week? Well...

Bodyweight rows are up, so pull-ups should hopefully be up as well. Sunday is when I measure.

Only one drinky so far this week, so I'm on schedule there. Tonight I may allow myself another one... I've been busier than usual at work this week.

Long run Saturday, and 6.7 miles are on the docket. My foot feels pretty good, so I'm optimistic.

The problem is my freakin' goal to spend time outside with the kids. The weather's been horrible this week. I'm trying to make it up by throwing them around and wrestling and chasing indoors, but maybe it's time to reevaluate that goal...

Anyway, tomorrow is rest day, and man oh man do I need it. Then it's long run day and then the workout that counts on Sunday. Till then, keep up the hard work!

Hellfire Club 4LIFE!

Great workout today!

After my rest day yesterday, I headed out for a long run this morning, and holy carp was it cold! I continue to be really gunshy about my somewhat-injured, somewhat-not-fully-recovered achilles, so I decided to get off the pavement for about half of it and check out the cross-country trails behind my old high school. What a treat! I don't get to do trails often (it doesn't agree with what I love about running: the step-out-the-front-door-and-go convenience of it), and I really wish I could. Nothing like the fresh air and being surrounded by green. Makes me feel almost primal.

Had a gorgeous 6.7 miles today at a pace just over 10:00, and considering half the run was on trails, that's none too shabby. And to ice the cake, my heel feels rock solid afterward.

So, that's the tone set for the end of week 2; all I need is a solid workout tomorrow to have straight A's in my quests for the week. 

running1.jpg

Power through your weekend!

• Like 1

Hellfire Club 4LIFE!

I've been busy so I haven't been able to check in and see how your challenge is going. Had some free time today and you are killing it. Sorry the cold is giving you trouble. I live in Florida, so that's not a problem for me, but I've lived in colder areas before and I feel your pain. Sometimes the air just hurts too much. At least you're still having active fun with the kiddos where you can. Good on you!