bgvanbur keeps going

bgvanbur

Great job on your weekend.

How much do you find yourself wiped out after a Saturday morning like that? Do you find that that's the bulk of your effort for the day and you spend more or less the rest of the day relaxing? Or are you able to get up and go have a regular active afternoon?

Level Three Oracle of Doom.

Level Eight Dragon Tamer, Warrior Dash participant. Trail runner.   Respawned.

Great job on your weekend.

How much do you find yourself wiped out after a Saturday morning like that? Do you find that that's the bulk of your effort for the day and you spend more or less the rest of the day relaxing? Or are you able to get up and go have a regular active afternoon?

Thanks.  I started with a tad soreness in my calves (from Thursday jumping jacks).  And being over 90% roads, my knees were achy and my legs were a little stiff on Saturday, but we went to an RV show with lots of walking and climbing into and out of RVs and it wasn't bad.  I definitely took it easier on Saturday to help with recovery.  Sunday had some stiffness on waking but was fine the rest of the day (did lots of housework) and was fully recovered Monday morning for lifting.

A little over a year ago it took me a week to recover from a 40k training run, but ever since then my recovery has been a day or so.  I can't think of anything I did different, so I think my body just adapted to recover quicker due to the stresses of doing long runs, but who knows.

Did my barbell workout today, a couple weeks ago I deloaded my overhead press and busted through the plateau today!  Last night was a chilly trail group run, was rough in the beginning but finished feeling great.  Diet has been getting all 5 checkmarks for six straight days now, so doing great.

So one of my runner friends did a 100 mile paved path race last weekend.  He had to drop at 70 miles due to hypothermia conditions.  Only about 30% of the field finished the race.  I would much rather run a summer ultra than a winter ultra.  As much as I love winter, battling the weather for that long is not enjoyable.  If it is exceptionally hot during my 99 mile in August, I think I will just plan to run/walk slowly for the max time.  Sign up is midnight on Feb 1, I will be registering within a few minutes just to be safe :)  So excited!

• Like 3

Level 26, Primal Ultra Trail Scout, Non-Binary Robot

Wow, man, having some good goal meeting going on here! Yay.

Wow that's really impressive! Good job on.... well basically everything it seems!!

Thanks and thanks.  It kind of turned upside down though :(

Oh that is so exciting!  What is the max time on the 100?  Hope your 2 year old is feeling better.

Well it is a around a 99 miler (might make a difference by the end).  It is 28 hours kind of (you run from 8am to 10am the next day [26 hours], you can an only run one more leg after the 10am cut off and have till noon to finish that last leg [28 hours]).  Each leg is 5 to 7 miles.

Good job on your race!

No race, just ran 24 miles for a long run fun :)

Signed up for the race!  (Set my clock to wake up since registration opened at midnight Feb 1).  Already 2/20 solo and 11/30 teams signed up.  Thought more solo racers would be signed up by now.

Switched from back squats to front squats for my barbell workout.  Keeping up on those.  Only one run last week, at least it was with friends.

Diet was horrible since last Wednesday.  Back on track today?  So far so good.  These diet goals aren't keeping me on track very consistently.

• Like 1

Changing diet whether it is improving it or breaking old habits is pretty darn hard.  At least you keep trying.  That race sounds incredible.  I can not fathom what it is like going for 24+ hours.  I plan on finding out someday.  Do you pretty much go the entire time, until you finish the miles, or until you simply have had enough?

• Like 1

Food Fight - current challenge

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

2015 - 22.5 bugs consumed

Chasing down the most awesome version of myself one step at a time.

The Character Battle Log 1 Daily Mile

Diet is the hardest part of my health.  But overall it is going well, I just kind of wish it wasn't so bumpy :)

The race is 99 miles and done when you get there unless you take too long, then they will just record how far you got before the cutoff.  I think I can finish in around 24 hours under perfect conditions, and mentally planning to just go the full time.

Yesterday was a good food day, and lots of shoveling after a barbell morning.

Did yoga this morning since wasn't ready to head out for a run this morning.  Besides, most likely doing a trail group run tonight.

• Like 1

I did my trail group run last night.  On the way I listened to the paleo view podcast (one of my favorites) and it was from around the holidays and talked about how "cheating" on your diet can either be an indulgence or a derailment.  I think if I plan my indulgences it is definitely easy to keep it as a simple indulgence.  And typically when I eat something unplanned (like tater tots last Wednesday; I justified it by saying my wife made too many and no one eats leftover tater tots).  That one thing turned into a total derailment instead of being a simple indulgence.  I bought a bottle of wine on my way home last night, a planned indulgence and still on track (only had a 4 oz glass, easily around 100 calories and kept me at 95% primal).

Did my barbell workout this morning.

I did my trail group run last night.  On the way I listened to the paleo view podcast (one of my favorites) and it was from around the holidays and talked about how "cheating" on your diet can either be an indulgence or a derailment.  I think if I plan my indulgences it is definitely easy to keep it as a simple indulgence.  And typically when I eat something unplanned (like tater tots last Wednesday; I justified it by saying my wife made too many and no one eats leftover tater tots).  That one thing turned into a total derailment instead of being a simple indulgence.  I bought a bottle of wine on my way home last night, a planned indulgence and still on track (only had a 4 oz glass, easily around 100 calories and kept me at 95% primal).

That really makes sense to me.  That is something I realized but had not been able to verbalize so well.  Just fantastic.  Hope you had a good trail run.  

I believe I will pop over and listen to that podcast.  Always love finding podcasts to enjoy.

• Like 1

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

Glad the wine worked out well for ya.

What does your barbell routine look like?

Thanks.

I based my routine on a few of the mainstream 5x5 lifting programs out there.  For the last two months I have been doing three days a week of:

5x5 Squat

5x5 Deadlift

5x5 Overhead Press

5x5 Bent Over Row

5x5 Bench Press

Every workout I add 2.5 pounds to the squat and deadlift and 1.25 pounds to the upper body exercises.  If I fail to get 5x5, I take a 10% deload.  So far I have deloaded the overhead press and have gone 3 pounds past the plateau already, I deloaded the bent over row and I failed on the back squat and have switched to lighter front squats and working on those instead now.  I think the deadlift and bench press will fail in a week or two and require a deload.

At first I wasn't going to bench press, but I noticed I was really weak in it so I added it on the end, I have said it was optional in case I didn't have the time but I have done it every workout so far.

Some people think 5x5 deadlift three times a week is too much volume, and I agree that it is a good amount of volume but after about two weeks it feels normal.

You had a single 4 oz. glass o wine??

Are you a wizard??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my later college years I would have a single glass of wine (probably closer to 6 oz) and pizza nearly every night.  Since the new year I have bought one bottle of wine per 2 weeks and have had a 4 oz glass of wine about three nights a week.  And I only have a glass if I don't have any primal deviations yet (if I am deviant on other things will the wine be as special?).

That really makes sense to me.  That is something I realized but had not been able to verbalize so well.  Just fantastic.  Hope you had a good trail run.  

I believe I will pop over and listen to that podcast.  Always love finding podcasts to enjoy.

Thanks.  In the podcast, they also mention struggles to not derail and how it gets easier with time, definitely nice to know.  And while drug addicts can quit the drug, us food addicts just can't quit food.

Yesterday was rough but I got through it.  I did have a medium bowl of ice cream so around 85% primal so only got 4/5 diet checkmarks and that is still good.

Since I was up late last night working (and still didn't get a full day of work done), I slept in this morning.  Better to recover from yesterday's barbell workout than get in whatever this morning.

I am cooking some rabbit in the slow cooker, first time trying one so I hope it turns out well (and definitely sharing some with our rabbit obsessed dog).

• Like 1

Great 5x5. I have to incorporate the BOR and I'm wicked weak with the OHP. I'm also going to switch from back to front squats. I have a really tough time not listing forward on my way back up so I'm hoping front squats will work better form wise. I love me some deadlift!

Have a great rest of Week 5!

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

First time trying rabbit or made in the slow cooker?  I had it as a child and unfortunately the way my grandma boiled it made it less than enjoyable.  I had it at a game banquet in college (Wildlife Management Degree) and it was tasty but I can not remember how they made it.  Sort of scared to try it again.

Great 5x5. I have to incorporate the BOR and I'm wicked weak with the OHP. I'm also going to switch from back to front squats. I have a really tough time not listing forward on my way back up so I'm hoping front squats will work better form wise. I love me some deadlift!

Have a great rest of Week 5!

I am not a fan of the bent over rows since sometimes it is hard to know if you did a full rep as you get near your max.  Thinking about switching to cleans on next max->deload cycle.  Overhead press definitely makes you feel weak.  I noticed with back squats as I got heavy my knees wanted to go inwards, but front squats are more comfortable for me with a wider stance so I am hoping as I get heavier my knees won't cave in as much.  And since I am using tires as squat safeties, front squats are safer to bail on.

First time trying rabbit or made in the slow cooker?  I had it as a child and unfortunately the way my grandma boiled it made it less than enjoyable.  I had it at a game banquet in college (Wildlife Management Degree) and it was tasty but I can not remember how they made it.  Sort of scared to try it again.

First time trying rabbit at all.  I looked up various recipes and just decided that plain in the slow cooker with water would let me taste it the best.  Well it was great, not a fan of picking out lots of little bones but definitely good.  It was worth the price since it was half price on clearance, and might get it again if it was a similar price point.  The dog loved it and two out of three sons tried and liked it (the baby guy wanted to nothing but rabbit for dinner, granted meat is his favorite food group for now).  Saved the stock for later.

To make room I finished off the pork butt stock by making mashed potatoes with it (boil potatoes in stock, mash together without draining, cook a little more to get desired consistency and melt some cheese on top).

• Like 2

To make room I finished off the pork butt stock by making mashed potatoes with it (boil potatoes in stock, mash together without draining, cook a little more to get desired consistency and melt some cheese on top).

"Oh dear God, that sounds amazing!"

• Like 1

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

It was amazing!  I have done the same thing in the recently, if I cook on high heat (being impatient), you get some crispiness that is interesting (and add in some broiling to melt the cheese and it is quite something) :)

Slept in Friday so no morning barbell workout.  Had some tea for the first time in years instead of lunch, made me super hungry :(  Ate dinner (with ice cream, but now that the ice cream is gone I can go back to drinking a small glass of wine each day).  And did a night time barbell workout, was weird, loaded the barbell wrong and did a lop-sided set, etc but felt great afterwards and had a small meal (this is why I skipped lunch, so I could eat after I lifted).

Planning a long run Sunday morning in hopefully in some fresh powder and relatively warm temps.  Unsure if I want to go flat trail or hilly trails (where the 99 mile race will take place).

• Like 1

I had it at a game banquet in college (Wildlife Management Degree) and it was tasty

Wildlife management 101: eat the wildlife?

My (latest) degree was in IT and Computing so I'm glad I wasn't required to eat some java code. Ugh!

• Like 1

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

Database Bouillabaisse with PeaHPeas followed by Apple Mac Pie? Oh lordy, you've set be off now....

• Like 1

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Glad you liked the rabbit, anyway. I remember having to eat one that was shot by a Welsh farmer when I was on holiday aged about fifteen and being utterly disgusted at the sight. I went vegie not long after.

I'm also interested in your thing about knees wanting to come together in back squat. I really don't find mine go as wide as M Rippetoe says they should. It helps of I warm up a lot, but still, I've made the decision to let them go in what feels like a natural direction (mildly divergent) rather than force them to mimic the model's legs.

PS, I think I might be repeating myself but:

99 miles!

99!?!?

• Like 1