Chiyou respawns: rebuilding habits, walking (slowly) to Rivendell

chiyou

Happy new year, adventurers! :teapot:

I did two challenges a couple of years ago, but have since backslid on many habits, so I am restarting with some very modest, hopefully achievable goals!

I am currently 26, living in Tokyo, about 177 lbs. :watermelon:

Main quest:

Get to 158 pounds!

I used to be morbidly obese, and am now only normal obese--yay! :peach:

I'm maintaining a 60 pound weight loss, but I still have a long way to go. I'd like to get out of the obese BMI range and into the overweight range; for my height (5'1"), that's 158 pounds. So that's my first big goal!

Goal for this challenge: lose 5 pounds!

Specific goals:

1. Do not buy any foods that are obviously nonsense

This sounds vague, but I figure before I try to make my diet optimal, I should work towards just making it adequate! So before I worry about gray-area foods, I'll just try to cut out the things that are totally obviously not healthy (sugary stuff, fried stuff, super processed stuff, etc).

Grading:

A: 0 nonsense per week!
B: 1 nonsense
C: 2 nonsense...
F: Excessive nonsense

2. Eat 3 servings of vegetables a day

Grading:

A: 7 perfect days!
B: 6-5 perfect days
C: 4-3 perfect days
F: Less than 3 days :hororr:

3. Walk at least 21 miles a week (~3 miles a day)

I have a pedometer and everything! (I know 5 miles is a more idea daily goal, but let's start slowly!)

Grading:

A: At least 21 miles!
B: 19-20 miles
C: 17-18 miles
F: ONE DOES NOT SIMPLY WALK INTO MORDOR

4. Do basic bodyweight exercises 3x a week
Grading:

A:  3x a week
B:  2x a week
C:  1x a week
F:  0 :(

Life quest:

Make tangible progress towards fixing my wisdom teeth!

Motivation:

I am more happy and energetic when I am active :apple:

• Like 1

Hobbit adventurer!
Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4

Weight loss: 235 to 135, currently 162

73%
73%

Excellent! Do you have access to a lot of walking trails or is it all urban?

Hi! :lemo: Most of the nearby walking is urban, but pleasant urban with trees and rivers. There's some good hiking not too far away if I take a train; I'm looking forward to climbing this small mountain on a weekend sometime soon!

Hobbit adventurer!

73%
73%

I love the no buying nonsense food. Really just not having it in your house is a big bonus. 

Agreed! If it's in the house, I am likely to eat it ( :moody: ), so I think I'm better off making the house a no-nonsense-foods zone!

Hobbit adventurer!

73%
73%

Welcome back!!!  

I’m Chris-Tien Jinn, an ambassador for the Assassin Guild. Despite the name, we are a VERY friendly guild, filled with people who enjoy a wide variety of activities and fitness goals!

For more information about the guild, stop by the Info & Announcements thread.  Also, check out the Assassin's Phonebook, which lists the names of people who are working on various aspects of fitness and life changes.  This is a great place to connect with someone who is working on goals similar to yours.  Don't be shy about following them or sending a message if you have questions!!!   

You can also stop by the Assassin's Den - a general chat thread in the guild forum – and introduce yourself.  You can always ask questions there, but I warn you that we tend to be pretty silly there and love to post gifs …. especially of cute animals!!

If you ever have any questions or need help with anything, let me know.  You can grab my attention by using the quote button at the bottom right corner of any of my posts.  I have the forum setting turned on to alert me when somebody quotes me using that button, so it's a quick easy way to let me know you're talking to me. You can also get in touch with me by posting on my own challenge topic or by using the forum private messenger system (the envelope button at the very top right of the screen).

Someone from the Assassin's Guild will stop by every week to check on your progress, but don't be a stranger!!  The most successful people around here reach out and get support from others - novices and veterans alike!  A great place to meet up with other (new) Assassins is in the Assassin Initiates Accountabilities Group   - stop by when you have a chance!!

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)

I spent the past two days traveling, so I am starting today! Today was a pretty uninspiring day, because of jetlag, but I did eventually drag myself out of bed, so I'll count that as a success!!

Week 1 Day 3: 1/7

Weight: 179.0 lbs :(

Food:

1 bowl instant noodles (these are totally nonsense, but I didn't buy them--but was glad I had them around for the middle-of-the-night jetlag breakfast)

medium cafe latte (no sugar)

bibimbap from Matsuya (I thought this was fairly healthy, just a smallish bowl of rice/veggies/meat/egg, but it turns out it has 777 calories! ahahaha :( )

miso soup with seaweed and fried tofu

Nonsense: None!

Vegetables: 1 (if... bibimbap counts as a vegetable...)

Exercising: nope :(

Walking: ~3.6

Hobbit adventurer!

73%
73%

Your bibimbap, if made the way I typically have it could likely count as 2 veggies with the amount of veggies in it. And it's a perfectly balanced meal. Yes, white rice is generally useless and it would be better off being brown but don't knock the 'bap too bad. And I bet it was yummers

(Note to self: put bibimbap on a menu soon!)

Week 1 Day 4:

Jetlagged and cranky, but happy that I exercised at least a little??

Weight: 179.9

Veggies: 3 (bag o' lettuce, awesome convenience store salad, cucumber and tomato salad)

Exercise: Yes!!! I only made it through one round of the beginners' bodyweight routine, hahahahahahhaa. (And couldn't even plank for 15 seconds...) Maybe by the end of January I'll be able to step it up a bit??

Walking: ~1.8

Hobbit adventurer!

73%
73%
Your bibimbap, if made the way I typically have it could likely count as 2 veggies with the amount of veggies in it. And it's a perfectly balanced meal. Yes, white rice is generally useless and it would be better off being brown but don't knock the 'bap too bad. And I bet it was yummers

Bibimbap = perfect food?? :panda:

Hobbit adventurer!

73%
73%

Nice job on the food!

I'll chime in and agree that bibimbap isn't so bad - and I'll even add that there are reasons to believe that white rice is better than brown. (Random piece linked, but there is a lot on this subject if you peruse Google!)  That said, rice is crazy caloric, so yeah, 777 calories...... but mostly of nourishing food!  Being afraid of calories really isn't needed as long as you get them from good sources and don't go overboard with the number.  I'd say you're on the right track!

Nice job on the walking, and yes...... the bodyweight work gets easier, I guarantee it.  Just put in the work and do it every other day and soon you'll be flying through all 3 sets!

🎪current challenge🎪

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

Week 1 Day 6: 1/10

Weight: 178.4

Nonsense: None

Veggies: 1 (bag o' lettuce)--oops, I was going to cook and stuff and then just fell asleep :kiwi:

Exercise: Yeah! (still only one time through :lemon: )

Walking: ~3.7

Hobbit adventurer!

73%
73%

Week 1 summary

Nonsense: None! A

Vegetables: 3 perfect days... C

Exercise: 2x B

Walking: 11.8 miles F

As you can see, I had a somewhat uninspiring week!

On the bright side, I have totally abstained from buying nonsense, mainly because I would be too embarrassed to have to report "ate cake" to you nice people, so I have you to thank for that. :mushroom:

Although I could stand to eat a few more vegetables, I feel like overall I've been eating pretty healthily this week, and I do feel better (never feeling blehhh, that kind of thing :orange: ). I feel like I'm at a middle ground now: mostly trying to focus on vegetables and protein, but I have been eating occasional white rice / potato / banana when I get crazy hungry. Hopefully I will phase that out gradually!

I need to walk more! According to this list of hobbit walking distances, I have covered in a week less than what Frodo and Sam covered in a day!

Plenty of room for improvement next week?? :apple:

Hobbit adventurer!

73%
73%

Week 2 Day 1: 1/12

Weight: 177.0

Vegetables: 4
Exercise: Yes! (once through)
Walking: ~5.1

Food log:
Breakfast: 1 banana + ~1/2 cup of plain yogurt, 1 carrot
Snack: soy milk
Lunch: bibimbap
Snack: bag o’ cabbage
Dinner: teriyaki chicken breast + sauteed bean sprouts

Hey, look what a good job I did today! :watermelon:

Hi Caprette and vicrandom!

Interesting thing seen today: I went for a (very belated) new year's shrine visit, and I saw all the new year's decorations (pine branches, paper, etc.) piled neatly in preparation to be burned.

Hobbit adventurer!

73%
73%

Week 2 Day 2: 1/13

Weight: 177.0

Vegetables: 3
Exercise: No
Walking: ~3.5

Food log:
Breakfast: 1 banana + ~1/2 cup plain yogurt, 1 carrot
Lunch: bag o’ cabbage, banana
Dinner: bibimbap, miso soup
Snack: cashews~

Hobbit adventurer!

73%
73%

Week 2 Day 3: 1/14

Weight: 175.9

Nonsense: Yes :(
Walking: ~5.5

Food log:
Breakfast: 1 banana + ~1/2 cup plain yogurt, 1 carrot
Lunch: salad, chicken cutlet sandwich
Dinner: salad, chicken kimchi stew, fried stuff, matcha ice cream

Two things happened today: I forgot to exercise in the morning, and then didn’t have time to exercise at night because I was unexpectedly invited to a new year’s celebration with colleagues… at which I ate a moderate amount of total nonsense (potato wedges, fried chicken cartilage, shrimp chips). But I don’t think I did too much damage—it was at least a limited amount of nonsense, and I was mostly only drinking tea. :kiwi:

Hobbit adventurer!

73%
73%

Week 2 Day 4: 1/15

Weight: 174.4

Nonsense: No!
Vegetables: 1
Exercise: Yes (twice through!!!)
Walking: ~2.5 (rained all day)

Food log:
Breakfast:  ~1/2 c yogurt + 1 banana
Lunch: 2 grilled rice balls + 1 banana

Snack: Coffee with cream
Dinner: Fancy Japanese food~ + 1 cider

Hey I was able to do the bodyweight exercises twice through! (I am still not able to do quite enough lunges or plank, but hopefully am slowly improving on that.)

Had a disorganized day and therefore did not get enough vegetables. Planning is key!!!

Hobbit adventurer!

73%
73%

Week 2 Day 5: 1/16

Weight: 175.3

Nonsense: No!
Walking: ~2.9

Food log:
Breakfast: edamame~
Lunch: salad, green curry with chicken, naan
Dinner: shared sichuan food with friends (mapo tofu, boiled fish, gongbao chicken, veggies, rice)

Are edamame vegetables?! I'm counting them!

Hobbit adventurer!

73%
73%

Edamame are beans, so technically they are legumes...... but from what I can tell, legumes aren't nearly as bad for you as a lot of people claim, so I don't see why you wouldn't count them if you're mostly aiming to eat more plants.

🎪current challenge🎪

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire