Thrillho

Well, this is it.  The final countdown, do do doo doo doo. Three weeks, and then the Iceman Relay, and then three and a half more weeks to Ellismania. Accounting for buffer zones and recovery zones, that gives me two periods of three weeks to work with, hyphenated by a 10km run in the Northern Canadian winter. December was a bit of a failwhale on my part (and the use of the word 'whale' was not accidental, I assure you). I ate, and I slept, and I got sick and ate some more.  I told myself I wouldn't, and... well, I tell myself a lot of things.

But I have to focus on the successes.  I got an A in my Human Resources course, and a B+ in New Venture Management (which is a small miracle, since that useless waste of a teacher was failing people left and right for no reason any of us could decipher, but probably involved GOD). I got final payment from my home design client (though that's mostly because they essentially fired me and went with someone more expensive... I still consider that a win). I had a good Christmas with my family (despite large portions of that family throwing hissy fits, and presents, and generally being a mob of highly-functioning babies with kids). I had my IPD review at work, and received a slightly larger raise than expected, coupled with the reinstatement of the RRSP matching program (and I may be receiving more paid vacation time as well).

I downloaded, read and have mostly memorized the Dolce book, which will be forming the cornerstone of this challenge. Yeah yeah yeah, 'it's a fad', but after listening to him on several Ellis interviews, as well as talking to him once, and actually reading the book and listening to the points and internalizing what works for me, it's still something I feel worthy of following up on.

And, a fun bonus: Throkky (the wife) is backing me on this challenge.  I think she's not just looking forward to watching me finally get rid of the baby belly, but also being able to assume the culinary high ground and force me to eat like her (she's a nominal vegetarian / ethical omnivore).  She's already working on quinoa and broccoli recipes for me (I like quinoa, but she wants to get me to like cold salads and stuff, which I am normally kinda grossed out by, as well as anything where lemon or vinegar is a major flavor).  BUT... still looking forward to it.

So, on to the real challenges, which in this case will consist of ONE goal, and the METHODS by which it shall be achieved.

THE GOAL:

LOSE FOURTY POUNDS BY ELLISMANIA X

giphy.gif

Method #1:  Stick To The Diet
This is the major one. It should be pretty easy to stick to... the diet is pretty much lean meat, legumes, LOTS of vegetables, and no cheap carbs and sugar.  Being asked to live off of meat and veggies is not a big problem, since I love meat and most veggies, but QUANTITY of veggies is always a problem.  Blue cheese is allowed, since thanks to the mold it's nothing but fat and protein (yay, cheating! :D ) The second biggest problem is portion control... there's not a lot of BULK that isn't vegetables, so I'm going to be upping the volume of vegetables I eat by a very large quantity. Which will prove difficult. But I need to do it.

giphy.gif

Method #2: The Working Out
Cardio is going to be the key for this one. Running.  Lots of running.  I need to work on my endurance, my lung capacity, and very specifically for the run I need to work on my legs, so the running is going to be the major factor.  The secondary factor will be MMA, since that's very much a whole-body workout, and I need to work on my boxing.   Right now it's three days a week, but I want to work on increasing that.  Jogging at night, maybe, or hitting the gym on the weekend. Pushing myself... that's gotta be key.  I get tired easily.

giphy.gif

Method #3: Focusing On What Is Important
This one is mental, literally.  Over the Christmas break, even with my extra week, I REALLY accomplished VERY little. I got almost no writing done.  Nor working out. Nor healthy meal prepping.  Nor painting. Nor even music practice.  I played a lot of Monkey City and Minecraft, though, so clearly I had some time on my hands... I dream about doing these things, but when it comes time to do them I convince myself I'd rather fritter my time away with frivolities.  Which is fun, but not fullfilling. Remember what I want to do with my life.  The music, the writing, the art. Princess Ninja (which is going to be incredible, I love my artist so much). Getting healthier, getting fitter, getting better eating habits.  Ellismania glory and meeting the Fam. Being happy to see myself in the mirror.

giphy.gif

Well, that's it.  Three things.  Three simple, incredibly overwhelming things. 

Bring it on!

• Like 4

The cancer was aggressive, but the chemotherapy was aggressive, as well.

There was aggression on both sides. 

Tell me about this book.

Throkky is willing to help you cook for this?!?! :D :D

Quantity: If it comes down to it, shove handfuls of lettuce in your face, veggies in :)

Are you sleeping? Your endurance will always lag if you aren't sleeping enough.

Maybe do a Vision Board or something to have a visual reminder (or make a digital image collage and put it here?) but move it or change it every week or make several and put them around the house where you see them randomly rather than one place thats easy to ignore.

These are tough, but you are the man, you got this :D

Druid Assassin Halfling

:) Druid  :)

Level 16, Current Quest: Bekah Returns

Spoiler

Your life does not get better by chance. It gets better by change.

- Jim Rohn

I never heard of vision boards before today... and now I've heard of them from three different people.  I am thinking I might start working on one.  In the basement.  Or maybe on my side of the bed.

... then I keep reading, and you say to move it around.  Hrrmmm. Maybe.

You know what? I might paint it. I've been looking for a new idea, now that I finished my mountain (that's taken me three months and really made me hate drawing 'reality' from my 'imagination'... I can't paint anything realistic if it's close enough for you to be able to make out what it is, so please don't mind how crappy the foreground is. Also, WATER IS HARD.)  Still, I'm pretty happy with some parts of this thing!

mountainycropped_zps32f2e05c.jpg

Yeah, the vegetables are going to be a big part of this. Literally.  I just need to eat MORE. Gonna start keeping a lot of veggies on hand in the fridge, so I can make myself a veggie wrap.  And I gotta start making less food for dinners, because my old habits of living off of the leftovers needs to end.

Food: The cause of, and solution to, all of Thrillho's problems. #fwp

I never heard of vision boards before today... and now I've heard of them from three different people. I am thinking I might start working on one. In the basement. Or maybe on my side of the bed.

... then I keep reading, and you say to move it around. Hrrmmm. Maybe.

You know what? I might paint it. I've been looking for a new idea, now that I finished my mountain (that's taken me three months and really made me hate drawing 'reality' from my 'imagination'... I can't paint anything realistic if it's close enough for you to be able to make out what it is, so please don't mind how crappy the foreground is. Also, WATER IS HARD.) Still, I'm pretty happy with some parts of this thing!

mountainycropped_zps32f2e05c.jpg

Yeah, the vegetables are going to be a big part of this. Literally. I just need to eat MORE. Gonna start keeping a lot of veggies on hand in the fridge, so I can make myself a veggie wrap. And I gotta start making less food for dinners, because my old habits of living off of the leftovers needs to end.

Food: The cause of, and solution to, all of Thrillho's problems. #fwp

Great plans :) I think the part by the mountain (it looks like just a piece of land between the water and air) looks great! and the colors are good :) and the shading on the mountain..Oh and I didnt even see the mountain range in the back! lots of great bits in this painting :)

Druid Assassin Halfling

Spoiler

- Jim Rohn

Bass and guitar.  Not very well, mind you, and it's hard to practice much because the second I pick either instrument up my kids DESPERATELY NEED TO USE THE OTHER ONE RIGHT THAT MINUTE AND CAN YOU HELP ME PLAY THIS DAD AND WHOOPS I DROPPED IT ON THE GROUND FOR THE SEVENTEENTH TIME TODAY AND I KEEP TWISTING THE PEGS ON TOP BUT IT DOESN"T MAKE SOUND COME OUT....

... so I leave them packed up in the corner. But I'm working on trying to set some boundaries with the kids, and get some practice time. 

• Like 3

Day 1: 259 lbs (close enough)

I'm kind of amazed I actually kept the weight off for Christmas.  This was what I weighed right before I went very, very, very off-diet. Working out this morning reminds me just how much I suck at running. Got three weeks to pummel myself into shape again for the run! It better not be this cold when it comes around, though, or I'll have someone giving me the ol' Tauntaun treatment to keep warm in my carcass. 

Day 1: 259 lbs (close enough)

I'm kind of amazed I actually kept the weight off for Christmas.  This was what I weighed right before I went very, very, very off-diet. Working out this morning reminds me just how much I suck at running. Got three weeks to pummel myself into shape again for the run! It better not be this cold when it comes around, though, or I'll have someone giving me the ol' Tauntaun treatment to keep warm in my carcass. 

That's pcuz you aren't eating enough during your "diet" phases for your body, so says a nutritionist when I started eating gargantuan amounts of food (even cheeseburgers almost daily, I seriously lost 80 lbs eating cheeseburgers which sounds insane) and started losing weight and was like WTF?!?!

I dont subscribe to the weight loss=calories in < calories out theory or anything, but in terms of BMR, you need to eat a certain amount for function and have to have some to burn for fuel for these workouts you want to do, and knowing at least what you eat occasionally when on your diet, I'm not surprised you are STARVING, bc well you are. You dont have the body of a ballerina and don't need to eat like one ;) 

I think there is a point where intake levels out and what you eat matters more than how much, but I am betting that if you ate the same relative amount, but better quality of food as you did over the holidays,  you would do better in your workouts and lose weight faster.

The trouble is, the emotional eating, if you ate when you were hungry, and ate till you are full, and that was the only time you ate, you would end up eating a lot more, but not too much I think. But of course, food intake is NOT that simple for anyone :( 

So maybe eat more, but really try to limit the junk, at some point willpower is meaningless when you are consistently hungry and then food is ample, and you give in to the hunger and eat what's there, rather than eating before that point and making better choices, and doing that is what keeps the weight on. (this is 90% from experience and 10% from what I have read) 

The good news is: YOU CAN DO THIS :) 

• Like 1

Druid Assassin Halfling

Spoiler

- Jim Rohn

That is the plan.  Eat as much as I want, BUT... basically vegetables and lean protein.  And mostly the vegetables.  Bought three tubs of lettuce yesterday, going to be living off of salads and chicken and tuna for a while here.  

... and biscotti that some evil, evil person left in the break room. 

• Like 1

Allrighty, MMA last night was a little bit of a shit show. My feet were really, really cracked, so my mobility was reduced, and I swear I was just leaving all my skin on the mats just during the warmups.  I really did not feel like I was controlling my body.  My three-time sparring partner for the night is a medal-winning heavyweight MMA fighter, and even though he's really cool and friendly, he has NO DAMN CLUE what 'go easy' means.  Consequently, I now have a pronounced limp today. I meant to get up early to work out, but it was all I could do to just hobble downstairs, re-bandage up my feet, and just watch the rest of Sherlock and do some stretches. 

... slow start!

Allrighty, MMA last night was a little bit of a shit show. My feet were really, really cracked, so my mobility was reduced, and I swear I was just leaving all my skin on the mats just during the warmups.  I really did not feel like I was controlling my body.  My three-time sparring partner for the night is a medal-winning heavyweight MMA fighter, and even though he's really cool and friendly, he has NO DAMN CLUE what 'go easy' means.  Consequently, I now have a pronounced limp today. I meant to get up early to work out, but it was all I could do to just hobble downstairs, re-bandage up my feet, and just watch the rest of Sherlock and do some stretches. 

... slow start!

On the plus side, Sherlock is awesome :)

Keep on trucking.

• Like 2

... slow start!

ouch! Well, it can only get better from here then, yeah?

*sends some magical rainbow foot healing power*

Druid Assassin Halfling

Spoiler

- Jim Rohn

Argh, legs so sore.  Doing arm workouts tonight, then pool and hot tub time with Throkky, then bed, then back to running in the morning.  I know it's going to take more time for my body to get back in the swing of things.  

On the plus side, I managed to stick to my diet today, except for one muffin.  I just wanted to see if they were any good (I made them for the kids for their lunches).  Turkey onion salad wrap for dinner, chili for lunch, sticky bun and green tea for breakfast. Also, my kids have declared that my turkey pesto soup (which is really just turkey, garlic, onions and kale, with brown rice noodles) is the BEST THING EVER and demanded it for the second night in a row, with enough leftovers that they can have it again tomorrow night.  I'm kinda stoked, now that Costco carried 600g bags of fresh organic kale for $3.99. :D

• Like 1

Argh, legs so sore.  Doing arm workouts tonight, then pool and hot tub time with Throkky, then bed, then back to running in the morning.  I know it's going to take more time for my body to get back in the swing of things.  

On the plus side, I managed to stick to my diet today, except for one muffin.  I just wanted to see if they were any good (I made them for the kids for their lunches).  Turkey onion salad wrap for dinner, chili for lunch, sticky bun and green tea for breakfast. Also, my kids have declared that my turkey pesto soup (which is really just turkey, garlic, onions and kale, with brown rice noodles) is the BEST THING EVER and demanded it for the second night in a row, with enough leftovers that they can have it again tomorrow night.  I'm kinda stoked, now that Costco carried 600g bags of fresh organic kale for $3.99. :D

Is it good sore?

Well done for sticking to the diet. Its awesome that your kids like the soup - always good to know they're getting good nutrition :)

THROKKY???

THAT IS THE MOST ADORABLE THING I'VE EVER HEARD!!!!

Agnes-despicable-me-28753897-320-180.gif

It couldn't be helped.

I'm so EXCITE for you this challenge!!! Having someone to back you and help you with food and encouragement is the best thing ever!

I see RESULTS in your future!

Also....where is all this running you're supposed to be doing??

*evil grin*

I do my running at the gym.  Big indoor track.  Feet and ankles still injured, so it's elliptical and bikes again today, and just mobility exercises and stretching outside of that.  And Throkky is short for Throkmorton, her internet nom de plume since... forever. 

Also, I don't think your picture came through :( I WANNA SEE IT. 

So, anyways, Tuesday was a big sore day, but I brought up the weights from the basement to the living room, so I can lift and squat and watch Sherlock.  Cardio took a bit of a hit, if this morning is any indication, so it's a good thing I have three weeks to get my leg strength back. Pool and hot tub and sauna was nice, though, slept great even with getting up at 5am. 

On the down side, it looks like I might now NOT be in a fight at Ellismania.  There's a chance, but not a guarantee (the show is way too disorganized for that, especially considering 99% of the fights are fan-based and those are always hell to organize).  I still have ringside seats for everything, though, so that's something.

But don't think this means I'm going to stop.  My fight eligibility is still largely based on me showing up and having a good score at the weigh-ins, so if anything this has redoubled my desire to lose weight. BUT after a conversation with the show yesterday... yeah, not super confident right now. 

I'm not just doing this for the fight anymore, though.  These changes to my diet and activity levels are the last big steps in a five year struggle to get back into shape, and I'm not going to blow it now (especially not after Throkky has apparently told EVERYONE SHE KNOWS, REPEATEDLY, that I'm going to Vegas to fight at the Hard Rock.  I have expectations to live up to.)

Cheers!

• Like 1