marymama08 slays the smoking dragon!!

marymama08

I am jazzed to be starting my 4th challenge. I love being here with all of the support I get. On this go around I will once again attempt to quit smoking. I made a pretty good go of it on my last challenge and plan to continue this endeavor until I am a non smoker  :pirate: I found in my last attempt that I did not want to leave my house. This led to a huge lack of exercise and a feeling of depression. I gained about 10 pounds and I find myself seeking out people who smoke so I can bum one from them. I have not relapsed into full on smoking again but I am really battling this. What a head game it has been but I have a plan, and it is as follows  :pirate:

Main quest: Quit smoking

Quest 1: Get out of the house to avoid depression and constant eating.

A - I purchased a 1 month gym membership and I must go Monday-Saturday. This membership is almost like having a personal trainer. The 6 am session is just my best friend and I.

B - I will ride my bike to the gym as often as is possible. It is only 4 miles round trip so when time allows I will go for a longer ride after my workout.

C - I will volunteer at the food bank Tues. Wed. and Thurs. 

Quest 2: Not eat everything within reach.

A - I will have things to do with my hands. Such as floss my teeth and start a new craft project. 

B - Complete 1 item from my long TO DO list each day. 

C - Do deep breathing exercises when I feel that anxious feeling. Maybe walk outside to get the fresh air. 

Quest 3: Reward myself 

A - For each day I go with out a cigarette, I will give myself $3 in a "buy something cool fund"

ADVENTURER 

LEARNING TO PLAY AGAIN                                                                                        

Battle Log

Looks great.  I love your reward challenge.  That seems like a great way to slay the smoke dragon.

• Like 1

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero

Level: 19 Ranger | STR 36 | DEX 29 | STA  35 | CON  43 | WIS 35 | CHA 23|

Spoiler

Epic Quest Avatar Lifting profile | D&D Character Sheet

Accountibillibuddies: Doodlies setting the world alight

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Current Challenge: Shello Finally Fitnesses (sort of) and does some other things

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Starting weight = 290.4; Current weight = 269; Total pounds lost: 21.4

Love your plan. Cool that your bestie is going to the gym with you.That will give you something to look forward to.

• Like 1

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 11   Charisma 14   Strength 18  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Such a tough Dragon to slay! I was lucky when I chose to quit, because I had a super supportive friends I was doing heaps of exercise with plus was in a place with no alcohol (my biggest trigger), but my partner who had been smoking for 10 years more than me managed to quit by reading an e-book called "How to stop smoking" http://www.free-ebooks.net/ebook/How-to-Stop-Smoking You apparently keep doing the whole time your read it, and by the end you quit completely. Definitely worked for him, and reading a book is a bit more realistic than going overseas too a place with nothing to do but exercise ;-)

All spelling mistakes are auto correct's fault, especially the dirty ones. Sent from Tapatalk.

Valkyrie Assassin/Adventurer

Epic Quest

Current Challenge:

Previous Challenges: 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th

Looks great.  I love your reward challenge.  That seems like a great way to slay the smoke dragon.

Thank you, how is your challenge going? Did you post it up yet? I will go look when I am done here :)

I think the reward thing really helped when I first started going back to the gym. I would find myself thinking about the smoothie or pedicure I would get at the end of the week. Good luck and your challenge. I'll be cheering for you.

I was going to do the reward weekly but I thought if I went with daily I would be more able to say "just gotta do today" and thank you for the cheers, I can hear them through my computer!!! 

I'll be pulling for you! I hope by the end of the challenge you'll be able to feel the benefits of not smoking. I'm not a smoker, but I know how difficult it is to quit-- all the kudos to you!

Thank you, it is so awesome to log on here and find so many people that have posted to show their support!!!! 

Love your plan. Cool that your bestie is going to the gym with you.That will give you something to look forward to.

My friend and I have been BF's for more than 30 years now. We live only 3 blocks away from each other and she is very supportive in my health goals. It is so cool for me to have her. 

Sorry, had to goggle smoke dragon images and I found the one below. Now go slay it.

502013_1ff5_1024x2000.jpg

Bearlee, this is awesome!! I am going to make it my wall paper to remind me everyday  :pirate:

Such a tough Dragon to slay! I was lucky when I chose to quit, because I had a super supportive friends I was doing heaps of exercise with plus was in a place with no alcohol (my biggest trigger), but my partner who had been smoking for 10 years more than me managed to quit by reading an e-book called "How to stop smoking" http://www.free-ebooks.net/ebook/How-to-Stop-Smoking You apparently keep doing the whole time your read it, and by the end you quit completely. Definitely worked for him, and reading a book is a bit more realistic than going overseas too a place with nothing to do but exercise ;-)

All spelling mistakes are auto correct's fault, especially the dirty ones. Sent from Tapatalk.

Thanks for the link. I am going to download that shortly. I have another book called "the easy way to quit smoking" it has been helpful. I know this is a tough dragon, I have a lot of support though NF, thank you!!!!!!! Drinking is also a big trigger for me and I have some tough days ahead because my Hawks made it to the playoffs. I will be in a rowdy drinking environment with several smokers. Before next Sunday I have to devise a really good plan!!!

ADVENTURER 

LEARNING TO PLAY AGAIN                                                                                        

Battle Log

Thank you, how is your challenge going? Did you post it up yet? I will go look when I am done here :)

I am now officially on the board!  

• Like 1

Spoiler

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Current Challenge: Shello Finally Fitnesses (sort of) and does some other things

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

I am pleased to tell you all that I get to put $3 in my fun money pot for yesterday  :pirate: I went to my workout but the wind would not allow for me to ride my bike there. I did most of a project on my to do list, which was to put away Christmas decorations. My son asked me to leave the tree and nativity up for a couple more days. He is the youngest and spoiled, so naturally I said okay  :playful: Yesterday was not a food bank day so I did some extra cleaning in the house and took care of Hubby who has a man cold. As for eating I bought fruit to snack on and had veggies cut up. I did alright but should have went outside and breathed deeply instead of munching my way through the desire. 

Now I have to go get ready for the food bank. This is my first day back in over a month. I am finding it difficult to go, but I have to leave my house! I just want to curl up on my couch, eat popcorn and watch movies. 

ADVENTURER 

LEARNING TO PLAY AGAIN                                                                                        

Battle Log

I know how you feel.  I actually have to work 5 DAYS IN A ROW this week.   Everything seems so difficult after a long holiday break.  I suspect you'll feel better once you actually get out there.  Go get 'em. 

• Like 1

Spoiler

Woohoo on one more day down for no smoking! I put away some decorations, but the bulk is still up. :redface-new:

• Like 1

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Three more dollars in the fun pot!!!! Did my work out, went to the food bank, and got an item on the to do list done!!!!!! All of this was great and helpful in my efforts to avoid a cigarette. I really battled that dragon yesterday, he and I went round and round. Finally around 8:30 I just went to sleep. That was so much easier than fighting.

Today I am also having a pretty hard time of it. I have been to the gym and to the food bank. I can't just go to sleep right now it is only 1:00. I plan to repot a plant that is in need of care. I so want a cigarette but I have been reading some stuff that helps me to understand why and it has given me more determination to say no but man oh man, I just want one!!! No I don't , yes I do, no I don't..........etc.

I am heading out the door for some deep breathing. I will let you all know tomorrow who won this days battle. 

• Like 3

ADVENTURER 

LEARNING TO PLAY AGAIN                                                                                        

Battle Log

Three more dollars in the fun pot!!!! Did my work out, went to the food bank, and got an item on the to do list done!!!!!! All of this was great and helpful in my efforts to avoid a cigarette. I really battled that dragon yesterday, he and I went round and round. Finally around 8:30 I just went to sleep. That was so much easier than fighting.

Today I am also having a pretty hard time of it. I have been to the gym and to the food bank. I can't just go to sleep right now it is only 1:00. I plan to repot a plant that is in need of care. I so want a cigarette but I have been reading some stuff that helps me to understand why and it has given me more determination to say no but man oh man, I just want one!!! No I don't , yes I do, no I don't..........etc.

I am heading out the door for some deep breathing. I will let you all know tomorrow who won this days battle. 

I figure I'd stop over and offer some more encouragement.  Everyone needs reinforcements to battle a dragon.  Especially a dragon as powerful as a smoke dragon.  

Something funny just landed in my head.  A few challenges ago someone was talking about donning their workout gear as if it were some battle gear or armor to get you in the right head space.  I think it would be quite appropriate for you to don a helmet and a sword when you get those really strong cravings.  It might really get you into character for battling an actual dragon and give you a little more defense and encouragement.   And it would be pretty amusing for those around you too.  (As amusing as taking a tire for a walk around the neighborhood even)

• Like 2

Spoiler

Hang in there!  When I really need help with motivation, I read things on the internet to help me.  I used to have to do this before a lot of my workouts but now I've got the hang of that a little more.  It's going to be different for everyone, but I like to read certain articles on Zen Habits to help me out.  The author used to smoke too so maybe there are even some relevant articles in their archives.

I figure I'd stop over and offer some more encouragement.  Everyone needs reinforcements to battle a dragon.  Especially a dragon as powerful as a smoke dragon.  

Something funny just landed in my head.  A few challenges ago someone was talking about donning their workout gear as if it were some battle gear or armor to get you in the right head space.  I think it would be quite appropriate for you to don a helmet and a sword when you get those really strong cravings.  It might really get you into character for battling an actual dragon and give you a little more defense and encouragement.   And it would be pretty amusing for those around you too.  (As amusing as taking a tire for a walk around the neighborhood even)

First of all THANK YOU!! I appreciate the encouragement. Second, just the sentence "something funny just landed in my head", made me laugh out loud. Last but not least, I love your idea and I will post a pic for you :)

Hang in there!  When I really need help with motivation, I read things on the internet to help me.  I used to have to do this before a lot of my workouts but now I've got the hang of that a little more.  It's going to be different for everyone, but I like to read certain articles on Zen Habits to help me out.  The author used to smoke too so maybe there are even some relevant articles in their archives.

Reading things helps me also. Is Zen Habits the name of a website? I will check it out, thank you. 

Well yesterday was a bust, I smoked 2 cigarettes. After battling that dragon for hours, my armor was pierced and I fell. I wish I could say that it was gross and I hated it. Unfortunately I savored every drag. However I did feel guilt, shame and great frustration  :miserable:   Today is a new day. My wounds have been bandaged and I have some new armor. A friend this morning gave me a couple of new ideas to help those intense moments. I have found that I can not rely on just one weapon. I need to wield many throughout the day. Sometimes I need more than one at the same time. 

I already did my work out today and I will be heading to the food bank in a few minutes. Could not ride my bike into the gym today, my alarm clock is sick and he did not wake me up. Maybe I should consider using a real alarm clock and not a husband  :playful:

• Like 1

ADVENTURER 

LEARNING TO PLAY AGAIN                                                                                        

Battle Log

Well, hopefully your alarm clock will feel better soon! On smoking, don't feel guilt. You are getting there, but your dragon is a fierce opponent. You keep fighting, and now you have even more ways to fight him.

• Like 1

Hey, I wanna hear more about your gym workouts. Is it a class or a trainer or self-guided workout? What kind of stuff are you doing? How often? How long have you been doing it? Any results? TIA

My gym workouts are pretty awesome. The gym I go to is a z health gym and they work with my balance, vision, form and technique. Then I do my conditioning and after that the actual workout. The whole thing takes about an hour but I am working on getting faster. I go to the 6 am session so instead of having 8 people(max for a session)there are only 2 of us so it feels very much like having a personal trainer. Monday through Friday I have a set up work out that I can follow on my own if I need to. On Saturdays the group is larger so we do whatever workout that the trainer takes us through. It is usually a timed workout and much more intense than the week day ones. I suspect part of the intensity is because we are trying to keep up with each other. I am feeling the results in my strength but I am amazed by how I am progressing with my vision and balance.

Here is how each day looks

A, B and C Day Warm ups 5 reps 2 sets 

1.thoracic glides seated with belt

1.upper body russian twists

2.middle toe pulls with block

2.loaded short foot(8 kg kettle bell)

3.pelvis tilts standing with band

3.1 leg hip presses

4.spinal lengthening

4.3 inch worms

A, B and C day Vision

I sit on a bench close my eyes and for a 5 count I try to look at my nose with my left eye only. I do a lot of compensating for my whole left side probably due to several concussions. 

A DayBalance

Sit on a bench against the wall and slowly shake my head back and forth trying to keep my eyes focused on a single point ahead of me.

A, B and C day Technique and form

fake swings 2 sets of 5

pelvis tilts with band 1 set of 10

1 leg hip presses 1 set of 10

A day Conditioning

Concentric Swings with 6 kg kettle bell 

3 sets of 15 with 

A day work out 4 sets of 6

Band lunge

20 sec plank

shoulder cams

I do these 3 as a circuit and then I do the next 3 things as a circuit

glutes marching

ball tucks

something I can't remember

B day conditioning

Ropes 3 sets of 30 with a 30 second rest between, I think I may be down to a 20 sec rest now. 

B day workout 

renegade rows 4 sets of 6

20 sec side plank

lumbar circles 4 sets of 2 each side

eccentric push ups with band 4 sets of 6

20 second cobra

cervical AP 4 sets of 6

C Day conditioning

3 sets of 10 swings

3 sets of 30 ropes

C day work out 4 sets of 6

TRX pull ups

touch downs

SB crunch ( I can't remember what these are, I always have to ask)

Turkish get ups 4 sets of 2 each side ( also don't get all the way up yet)

sit outs 4 sets of 6 each side ( these are a simple form right now)

clams with a band 4 sets of 6

So that was a lot to write out and I didn't explain everything because I am not sure how to unless I was speaking out loud :) but if you have questions I may be able to explain. 

ADVENTURER 

LEARNING TO PLAY AGAIN                                                                                        

Battle Log

My week end has been pretty bad. Friday a trigger set me off, then there was the big game party on Saturday( we won!!!) but I smoked. Every one there smoked... ugh!!! Today was almost a give in, give up feeling but I am ready to begin again tomorrow!!! This dragon is a tough opponent. In week 1 I made it 2 days in a row without a cigarette plus 1 other day. In week 2 I want to make it all 7 days but I will call it a victory if I make it 3 days in a row. Next week end I am spending game day with a friend who does not smoke and I am going to try really hard to avoid the triggers that set me off. 

I made it to all of my work outs and I made it to the food bank. 

Week 2 will be better!!!!!

ADVENTURER 

LEARNING TO PLAY AGAIN                                                                                        

Battle Log

Week 2 will be better!!!!!

That's it.  

Galaxy Quest

• Like 1

Spoiler

Hang in there!  This is a tough challenge.  It's good that you already have a plan for the game next weekend.  Have you read anything about changing habits?  Maybe when you want to smoke, you could do something else instead.  I've read a lot about the subject and it basically says that the trigger and reward can still be the same, but you just need to find a new action to insert between the trigger and reward.  Anyway, quitting any habit is supposed to be much more difficult than starting a new habit.  Keep up the hard work!  Good job on your workouts and getting to the food bank!

• Like 1

Go Hawks!!!

Great job on the workouts. Even though the no smoking didn't go as well as you'd like, you are making progress, keep going.

• Like 1