Claireloise learns to dance again

Claireloise

Hello Assassins!  I'm Claire, and I finished up my very first challenge last session. I'm excited to join a guild this time around.  I've been thinking quite a bit since then about what goals I want to set, and where I want to aim for.  I've ended up deciding that I want to feel stronger, more resilient, more capable and happier, and I've chosen goals that I hope will help me get there.  I also want to make sure that I cover both the physical and emotional/mental side of things.  I've had a rough couple of years health-wise, but things are looking pretty good at the moment.  

Main Quest

I want to feel stronger and more capable in myself, both physically and mentally.  

Quest 1: To Dance Again! (2 DEX, 2 CHA)

resizedvoldemort

A couple of years ago, I was dancing pretty frequently.  I like partner dancing, and I've dabbled in various different ballroom and latin styles.  Then a combination of dodgy knees and depression stopped me, and now I haven't been dancing for... 18 months? probably longer.  So, my goal for this challenge is

1 Dancey-type activity per week

Hopefully these will involve getting out of the house and interacting with other people, but if I need to do something at home that will count as well

Quest 2 Stand on one leg (2 DEX, 1 STA, 1 STR)

Lucius ballet

My ankles have always been my weak point - they get sore when I run, they get sore when I walk too long, they get sore if I hold them in a funny position.... so this challenge, I want to strengthen them, so that I don't have to constantly make excuses for them.  My plan for this is 

Part A: ankle exercises every day

Part B: Single leg balances 5 days a week

Quest 3 Control the Snacks (4 CON)

Ronchocolatecropped

Overall my diet isn't bad, and I don't want to absolutely give up any foods, because then I get cross and unhappy.  But I do have issues with eating way too much of some foods, and then feeling sick and guilty afterwards.  So this challenge, I am aiming for:

Maximum of 1 indulgence food a day

Life Quest: Mental Homework (3 WIS)

Ginnydiary

I want to look after my mental health, and I tend to keep putting it off as something that's not important and can wait till later.  Well, later is now.  This challenge I want to:

Part A: Do mindfulness 3 days a week

Part B: Write in a journal 2 days a week

Grading

I've never understood letter grades - I didn't use them growing up - so I'm just going with percentages here.  

I have finally allocated stat points!

Measurements

Height: 180 cm

Weight: 95.9 kg

Arms: 32 cm

Chest: 115 cm

Waist: 91 cm

Hips: 112 cm

Thighs: 68 cm

Calves: R 45cm L 44cm

Before Photos

(Please forgive my dreadful picture taking skills)

Front

Side

• Like 1

Claireloise

Level 1 Amazon

STR 3 || DEX 0 || STA 3 || CON 1.8 || WIS 3.3 || CHA 1.5

Challenges: Current   Previous

Accountability: Cutlasses

Nice goals!! Yay to dancing and yay to better ankles. I love how you are looking what will allow for the most happiness in the end of the day and yes, DO prioritize yourself! I mean, it's like just your life, right? Why would that be important  :playful:  It's only the MOST IMPORTANT of all!!

Oh, and your gifs are great, even if only one of them actually moves. They speak perfectly without that.

• Like 1

Level 18 Wood-Elf Assassin

battle log: counting the good things

current challenge: something, nothing, all the things

previous challenges: 25242322212019181716, 151413121110987654, 321

How cool is it that the same God who created mountains and oceans and galaxies looked at you and thought the world needed one of you, too

Nice goals!! Yay to dancing and yay to better ankles. I love how you are looking what will allow for the most happiness in the end of the day and yes, DO prioritize yourself! I mean, it's like just your life, right? Why would that be important  :playful:  It's only the MOST IMPORTANT of all!!

Oh, and your gifs are great, even if only one of them actually moves. They speak perfectly without that.

Thankyou  :rapture: I've been working quite a bit over the last year or two on separating what I actually want from what I think I should be doing or what would make other people happy.  I think that I have managed to choose some goals this time that align with what I want.  

Nice solid goals. Hilarious Voldemort gif. I approve!

Thank you for the approval  :redface-new:

• Like 1

Claireloise

Level 1 Amazon

Week 1 Day 1

First day of the challenge.  I've had a promising start, I believe.  

Quest 1: To Dance Again!

0/1 Dancey-type activity per week

No progress yet, but I've found an adult ballet class for Wednesday evening, so that's my plan

Quest 2 Stand on one leg

Part A: 1/7 ankle exercises

Part B: 0/5 Single leg balances 

Nearly gave myself a shin cramp with my ankle exercises. I guess that means I'm on the right track

Quest 3 Control the Snacks

1/7 days controlled snacking

A Boost Juice today - great for a summer's day

Life Quest: Mental Homework

1/3 mindfulness

0/2 journalling 

Well, technically I haven't done the mindfulness yet, but it's all cued up on my phone, and I'll do it as soon as I turn off the computer, I swear!

And now it's time for:

Random Daily Blatherings!

Although I never formally wrote down rewards for last challenge, I'd said that if I passed I'd go bra shopping.  I did that today, and returned home with two which are actually the right size for me.  SO much more comfortable.  I also dug out my swimming costume from its hiding place, and tried it on.  It doesn't fit, at all  :upset: And I don't think it's going to any time soon, because reading the label, it's designed for someone a good 10cm smaller in the bust than me.  So I suspect that I may turn swimming cozzie shopping into a reward for this challenge.  

I've had a pretty healthful (that is so a word, shut up) eating day today.  Highlights included kangaroo burgers and quinoa for dinner.  I put my food into MFP this evening, and it told me I hadn't eaten enough, which NEVER happens.  So I added some frozen yoghurt to my dinner guilt free!  I'm in Sydney at the moment, but when I go back down the the holiday house in a few days, I won't have so much control over the menu, since my parents are down as well.  And there is so much food in that house.  We have two fridges, and even so there's not enough room.  The "1 treat a day" challenge is going to be much trickier down there, but hopefully knowing that I'll have to report it back to you guys will help keep me on track.  

I went for a run this evening, with my beloved zombies app.  For the past few weeks, I've been running barefoot on sand, on the beach.  I ran round the streets today, and I was fast, much more so than normal!  I did my first km in a bit over 7 mins, and my overall pace was nearly a minute faster than I have been doing.  Maybe the beach has secret super running power which only unlock when you get back on a road? Whatever it was, I was pleased.  On the (slight) downside, though, my ankles were twinging a bit, which they haven't been doing for a while.  I thought you were supposed to prevent this, running shoes  :nonchalance: 

I've been thinking a bit about things I want to achieve, or change (tis the season after all).  I may need to start an Epic Quest to keep track of all these ideas.  I've also realised that some of my ideas are not necessarily going to be popular.  For instance, I want to move away from Sydney, and quite possibly move into the holiday house and find work in that general area.  I don't think Mum will approve, which might be a problem because she does own the house, after all.  But I'm probably getting ahead of myself here - I'm still very much in the "billions of ideas" stage.  

Well, now that I've written a wall of text, I think it is time to farewell the electronics and head to bed.  

• Like 3

Claireloise

Level 1 Amazon

The dancing gifs are too mesmerizing. I love them! Go go Voldy and Lucius! :lol:

Following for dance goals, and I'm also doing an adult ballet class! 

I went for a run this evening, with my beloved zombies app.  For the past few weeks, I've been running barefoot on sand, on the beach.  I ran round the streets today, and I was fast, much more so than normal!  I did my first km in a bit over 7 mins, and my overall pace was nearly a minute faster than I have been doing.  Maybe the beach has secret super running power which only unlock when you get back on a road? Whatever it was, I was pleased.  On the (slight) downside, though, my ankles were twinging a bit, which they haven't been doing for a while.  I thought you were supposed to prevent this, running shoes  :nonchalance: 

It's much, much harder to run on sand than it is on pavement, so basically, you've been getting extra resistance training and when you were on a surface that had far less of it, yep, you improved your pace by a good amount! It's just like if you've been running only uphill for a few weeks; once you're back to level ground, you're going to be faster, guaranteed. ;)

(also yay zombies, I miss my zombies~)

Vicki | Sheikah Bard | Level 13

STR 32.5 | DEX 51.1 | STA 25.5 | CON 37.1 | WIS 26.0 | CHA 31.3

blkhoe24601 Gains the Power to Revolutionize the World

Past Challenges: 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13

2016 Battle Log

gotta tell you, dancing voldemort makes my day every time I visit your thread! Just too cool  ^_^

Yep, sand is a lot more strenuous and you are doing so well!

How did the rest of the week go for you so far?

• Like 1

Level 18 Wood-Elf Assassin

battle log: counting the good things

current challenge: something, nothing, all the things

previous challenges: 25242322212019181716, 151413121110987654, 321

How cool is it that the same God who created mountains and oceans and galaxies looked at you and thought the world needed one of you, too

Week 1 Days 2-5

So, the last few days haven't gone as well as I wanted.  What happened?  Dragon Age Inquisition.  I got it as a Christmas present, and I finally installed it on my PC.  I started up the game.... and promptly played for about 24 hours straight before I even took a break to sleep.  From Tuesday evening to Friday afternoon pretty much disappeared down a black hole of gaming.  This is an issue I have with games sometimes - I get way too sucked in and let the rest of my life disappear.  I somehow managed to extract myself yesterday afternoon enough to pack some things and get myself in the car, and I'm now back down at the holiday house, leaving the gaming PC behind.  

As a consequence of all of this, I haven't done too well with the goals.  The ballet studio I wanted to go to isn't starting classes again till later in the month, and I was in no way organised enough to find something else to do.  I also forgot all about my ankle exercises.  Food-wise I did pretty terribly - I ordered pizza twice (damn brother who works in the pizza business) and also ate all my roommate's pringles, which I then had to replace.  So I'm not going to do well on my goals this week.  This is disappointing, but I'll just have to pick up the pieces and keep going.  I've got the weekend left to try and fit in some productive stuff.  

I did manage to achieve something in the last few days.  I saw my exercise physiologist, and now have some new and exciting exercises for my routine.  Several of them involve standing on one leg, which is good.

I think this is a wash for this week, unless the neighbours host an impromptu dance party or something

Quest 2 Stand on one leg

Part A: 3/7 ankle exercises

I'll try to up my totals somewhat over the weekend

I really need to focus on this one, this is pretty tricky

1/3 mindfulness

0/2 journalling

I'll try to get these done today and tomorrow

Claireloise

Level 1 Amazon

Hey, if you fall down x amount of times, you get up x+1 times and you're good! I work in a place that does ballet classes on Tuesdays. I want to start those to stretch myself out after lifting on Monday! That's a lot of changes you're taking on, well done! I wish I could be more confident about different goals but I'm a bit too cautious :-/ by the way I'm still trying to get a shot of the ps4 to play Dragon Age Inquisition! For now I need to watch Mr Hybrid play it... since it's his ps4 and all. Damnit!

When does your ballet class start back? :)

• Like 1

Half-Orc / Level 4 / Assassin

STR - 3 DEX - 1 STA - 4 CON - 13.5 WIS - 3 CHA - 6

Twitter: @hybrid756

CURRENT CHALLENGE

Challenge wrap up! April 12 - May 24 2015!
Challenge 1

Bf% - from 50% to 20%

21%
21%

Hey, if you fall down x amount of times, you get up x+1 times and you're good! I work in a place that does ballet classes on Tuesdays. I want to start those to stretch myself out after lifting on Monday! That's a lot of changes you're taking on, well done! I wish I could be more confident about different goals but I'm a bit too cautious :-/ by the way I'm still trying to get a shot of the ps4 to play Dragon Age Inquisition! For now I need to watch Mr Hybrid play it... since it's his ps4 and all. Damnit!

When does your ballet class start back? :)

All these goals are feeling like a bit much at the moment, but I'll keep trying.  It appears that ballet doesn't start back till the end of January, but I'll try and find something else in the meantime.  Maybe something more ballroom-y

DA:I is the black hole of productivity, I completely understand!! 

I feel like I could dive in and not emerge for weeks.  Just so addictive.  

• Like 1

Claireloise

Level 1 Amazon

Week 1 Days 6-7

I'm back on track again, somewhat, which is a bit of a relief.  I was a bit worried that I'd never leave my room again.  I've made some goal progress.  

Didn't happen this week.  I should start looking for something to do for next week, since I don't know the area that well

Quest 2 Stand on one leg

Part A: 5/7 ankle exercises

Part B: 2/5 Single leg balances 

Not great, but passable

3/7 days controlled snacking

Still finding this pretty hard

3/3 mindfulness

2/2 journalling

I actually got this goal done, huzzah!  As it turns out, I"m fairly good at blathering on in writing, and hopefully I wrote something sensible in their somewhere.  

I also got some uni work done yesterday, which I'd been avoiding.  I'm a bit scared of writing history papers, since it's not my area.  Give me science any day.  I need to finish it soon, so that I can start on the Next history paper!  Why did I think that a summer unit was a good idea.  

• Like 2

Claireloise

Level 1 Amazon

Week 2 Day 1

I hate referencing.  It is a terrible, horrible, torturous system dreamed up by academics to inflict pain on each other  :nightmare:. Which is my way of saying that I was writing my tutorial paper yesterday and it was Painful.  But I'm so very nearly finished, and hopefully I can submit it this morning and then start on the next essay  :hororr: Oh Joy

Have found some dancing that is taking place Wednesday evening.  I've told my parents that I'm planning on going, so hopefully they can encourage me along.  

Quest 2 Stand on one leg

Part A: 1/7 ankle exercises

Delicious Christmas pudding, mmmm

0/3 mindfulness

0/2 journalling

I'm feeling just a liiittle bit stressed about my uni work right now.  There's a reason I didn't put it into my goals this time - it really stresses me out.  I'm doing it because I hope in the long term it will let me do what I want to do, but for goals this time I wanted things that would make me feel better.  So I must try to fit in some mindfulness today - maybe when I need a break from working out how to reference a picture of a vase on a lecture slide I downloaded from the internet.  Gah!

I went running yesterday afternoon, and I've decided that drizzle or light rain is actually really nice to run in.  I stay nice and cool, but I don't get me and my phone completely drenched.  

Claireloise

Level 1 Amazon

Mmmm, between you and blkhole24601, I'm a little scared for when I take the plunge and purchase DA:I. Ah, college can be a total pain in the ass, so booyah on getting work in despite it. We had a rough first week, but as Assassins we just gotta moider the rest of this challenge in our respecrive fashions!

YOU GOT THIS. YOU ARE A BOSS REBEL AND YOU GOT THIS.

• Like 1

Jaz Xiao Long | Level 2 Assassin | Half-Giant
STR: 1 | DEX: .75 | CHA: 2.5 | CON: 5.5 | WIS: 2 | STA: 1.25
"We do what we need to do, and then we live." -Rick Grimes, The Walking Dead.
Current Challenge | Challenge 1

Week 2 Day 2

Nothing today 

Quest 2 Stand on one leg

Part A: 2/7 ankle exercises

Part B: 1/5 Single leg balances 

2/7 days controlled snacking

I finished the Christmas pudding, so that won't be a temptation any more

0/3 mindfulness

0/2 journalling

I need to get started on this...

I tried out my new exercises from the exercise physiologist today, and they're much more fun than what I have been doing.  I'm also doing each exercise for a minute at a time, rather than counting reps, which is making things go a lot faster.  I did my circuit in 45 mins today rather than 90.  

I also tried moving my pull-up bar down a bit lower for my bodyweight rows, and the floor is too slippery!  At this new angle my feet just skid away from me.  I'll have to fiddle around with these - maybe time to work towards (gasp) actual pullups?

Claireloise

Level 1 Amazon

Week 2 Day 3

1/1 Dancey-type activity per week

Done!  Report below

Quest 2 Stand on one leg

Part A: 3/7 ankle exercises

Part B: 2/5 Single leg balances 

2/7 days controlled snacking

I did so well today, and then a liquored apricot slew me at the last minute.  

0/3 mindfulness

1/2 journalling

It still counts if I end up feeling worse, doesn't it?

Mini Challenges

Assassins: 40 archers

CutLasses: 15 Inverted Rows.  

I've done my dancing activity for the week.  It was... not quite as I expected.  I found a social dancing night that was being held locally, so I thought I'd see what it was like.  It was a little bit odd.  To start with, I was the youngest there by a good 20 years, which made me feel a bit out of place.  I know that ballroom dancing often skews to an older crowd, but one other person closer to my age would have been nice.  It started with a lesson, where we went over some steps for a waltz.  That was fine, not too hard, although I did think it was a bit odd that they didn't play music at any point.  Afterwards they got to the social part of the evening.  It seems that the way this works was that everybody had already learned the steps to a dance, and when that song played everyone would get on the floor and do those exact steps, all at  the same time.  It was just more choreographed than I was expecting - the other social dancing I've done, you just sort of make it up as you go along.  So I didn't end up staying very long after the lesson.  I'm glad that I went, and glad that I didn't collapse in a puddle of social anxiety.  But I don't know that I'll go back.  It wasn't quite what I was looking for in a dancing experience.  

In other news, I gave myself DOMS in my obliques from my circuits yesterday.  This is a new and painful experience.  Obviously the answer is to do more of those exercises, but I might leave it one more day until I can move laterally without wincing.  I'll run tomorrow morning instead.  

And I'm sunburned.  I went out running on the beach at about 10, and I didn't put suncream on - I thought that it would be early enough that I'd get away with it.  This was not the case.  Now I'm going to have weird tan-lines and possibly skin cancer.  Bad Claire  :neglected:

And on that cheery note, to bed!  

Claireloise

Level 1 Amazon

Sorry the social dance you went to was so lousy. I danced for a number of years now, and I have never been to a lesson that did not use music! I mean, dancing is really just moving to the music; how do you learn how to do that if you don't have any music to practice to! Bizarre!

As someone who lindy hops, I also agree that a "social" dance should be just, well, dancing! It's improvised, it's fun, you meet new people! Having choreographed dances means that it's hard for new people involved; I wonder if they realize they are likely stifling their group. Seems exclusive to me. They're never going to get new members. How are other people supposed to take up this dance? Hmm.

But hey, you went out dancing! Kudos to you! Hope you get other (better) opportunities to get out dancing! If you were in my dance scene, I'd make sure you had tons of wonderful socials to go to :P

You're doing great :)

• Like 1

Fultonator
Human Assassin

Level 5

STR 5  |  DEX 6  |  STA 7  |  CON 6  |  WIS 12  |  CHA 5

Current Challenge

Past Challenges:  #1   #2   #3   #4   #5   #6   #7  #8

"I do not try to dance better than anyone else. I only try to dance better than myself." - Mikhail Baryshnikov

I've done my dancing activity for the week.  It was... not quite as I expected.  I found a social dancing night that was being held locally, so I thought I'd see what it was like.  It was a little bit odd.  To start with, I was the youngest there by a good 20 years, which made me feel a bit out of place.  I know that ballroom dancing often skews to an older crowd, but one other person closer to my age would have been nice.  It started with a lesson, where we went over some steps for a waltz.  That was fine, not too hard, although I did think it was a bit odd that they didn't play music at any point.  Afterwards they got to the social part of the evening.  It seems that the way this works was that everybody had already learned the steps to a dance, and when that song played everyone would get on the floor and do those exact steps, all at  the same time.  It was just more choreographed than I was expecting - the other social dancing I've done, you just sort of make it up as you go along.  So I didn't end up staying very long after the lesson.  I'm glad that I went, and glad that I didn't collapse in a puddle of social anxiety.  But I don't know that I'll go back.  It wasn't quite what I was looking for in a dancing experience.  

Being the youngest at a ballroom studio social event seems... to be the norm if you're not in your 50's, from what starsapart said after a few of us went to one on Saturday and we were definitely some of the youngest there. I think there was one couple who was either the same age as us or even younger, but other than that, yeah, most people were definitely middle-aged or older. At least we had each other, and it's one of the reasons I can't fathom going to a ballroom studio by myself atm. Though for us, the social part of it was far less structured than that; they'd play a song, everyone would identify it as "you use this style (waltz, tango, etc)" and then go for it!

Sorry you didn't find what you were looking for, but I'm glad you have no regrets about it. :) Are there other studios, ballroom or otherwise, you can check out?

• Like 1

Vicki | Sheikah Bard | Level 13

STR 32.5 | DEX 51.1 | STA 25.5 | CON 37.1 | WIS 26.0 | CHA 31.3

blkhoe24601 Gains the Power to Revolutionize the World

Past Challenges: 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13

2016 Battle Log

Sorry the social dance you went to was so lousy. I danced for a number of years now, and I have never been to a lesson that did not use music! I mean, dancing is really just moving to the music; how do you learn how to do that if you don't have any music to practice to! Bizarre!

As someone who lindy hops, I also agree that a "social" dance should be just, well, dancing! It's improvised, it's fun, you meet new people! Having choreographed dances means that it's hard for new people involved; I wonder if they realize they are likely stifling their group. Seems exclusive to me. They're never going to get new members. How are other people supposed to take up this dance? Hmm.

But hey, you went out dancing! Kudos to you! Hope you get other (better) opportunities to get out dancing! If you were in my dance scene, I'd make sure you had tons of wonderful socials to go to :tongue:

You're doing great :)

It was a bit of an odd occasion - I get the feeling that this group has gotten pretty comfortable with this style of running things and wouldn't want to try anything else.  But I'm glad I went - one of my hurdles with dancing is just getting myself there, so I'm giving myself full points for effort.  d

Being the youngest at a ballroom studio social event seems... to be the norm if you're not in your 50's, from what starsapart said after a few of us went to one on Saturday and we were definitely some of the youngest there. I think there was one couple who was either the same age as us or even younger, but other than that, yeah, most people were definitely middle-aged or older. At least we had each other, and it's one of the reasons I can't fathom going to a ballroom studio by myself atm. Though for us, the social part of it was far less structured than that; they'd play a song, everyone would identify it as "you use this style (waltz, tango, etc)" and then go for it!

Sorry you didn't find what you were looking for, but I'm glad you have no regrets about it. :) Are there other studios, ballroom or otherwise, you can check out?

Yes, ballroom does seem to attract an older crowd.  I've noticed this in other classes I've done, although there was a bit more of an age range than in this instance.  Some of the other styles I've danced, like salsa and zouk, have a younger crowd, although this has its own challenges.  

Since I'm away from home at the moment, I've been seeing what there is in the local area.  The answer - not so much, although there might be a few places worth looking at a bit further afield.  I'm back in Sydney for a few days next week, though, so I'll take the chance to dance there.  

• Like 1

Claireloise

Level 1 Amazon

Week 2 Day 4

1/1 Dancey-type activity per week

Quest 2 Stand on one leg

Part A: 4/7 ankle exercises

Part B: 3/5 Single leg balances 

3/7 days controlled snacking

1/3 mindfulness

Mini Challenges

Assassins: 20 archers

Cutlasses: 20 Inverted Rows.  

Today was a shopping and scenery-viewing expedition, which ended up taking most of the day.  I expected this, since my family is good at stretching out activities to take up all the available time.  But it did make it a bit tricky to get anything else done.  The shopping was a success though.  I now have swimmers that fit!  Turns out they do make bikini tops in sizes larger than a D cup.  I also unexpectedly found a dress, and my parents got clothes too, so I don't feel like the only extravagant one.  We had lunch in a vegetarian cafe, where I had a very tasty veggie burger with satay sauce.   

My ankles are getting stronger!  I've started using a more resisty(that's totally a word) resistance band for my ankle exercises, because the yellow one was just not strong enough.  Good work, little ankles!

Claireloise

Level 1 Amazon

Week 2 Days 5-6

Already complete

Quest 2 Stand on one leg

Ankle exercises: done both days!

Single leg balances: done Friday 

Didn't manage it Friday, but succeeded today

Mindfulness: done both days

Journalling: done today, putting me in excess of my goal!

Mini Challenges

Assassins: 120 archers

Cutlasses: 64 Inverted Rows, 34 Push-ups

Fitness-wise, it's been a good couple of days.  I did a circuit session and some swimming yesterday, a long run today, and various bits of mini-challenges throughout the days.  I've got a few aches and pains that I'm hoping a massage will help with, but overall I'm feeling pretty strong.  Yesterday I failed on my food goal at the last minute, when late night cravings led to a mince pie and a slice of christmas cake disappearing.  But I've done well today.  And even though I seem to be eating a lot, I'm losing weight - faster than I expected actually.  So what I'm doing seems to be working

I've also done pretty well on the mental health homework, and I'm actually feeling some benefits from it.  I did my mindfulness during the evening today, rather than right before I sleep, and it worked much better.  And I think my journalling actually helped me clarify my thoughts as well as just getting things out of my head.  

The area that's not going so well is my uni work.  Despite sitting myself down in front of the computer for periods of time today, I accomplished nothing on my essay, and not much more than that was achieved yesterday.  I think I'm panicking because it's not my area and it's a really big topic and I want it to be perfect and if it's not perfect then why bother doing it and so on and so forth.  Next week I'm going back to Sydney for two days, and realistically I won't get much done then with travelling and appointments and access to my DA:I computer.  So that leaves tomorrow, Wednesday and Thursday to write this thing.  GAAAH!  *runs around in circles panicking*

I'm just so over studying at the moment.  The downsides in terms of stress and effects on my mental health outweigh any benefits I get from learning new things.  I really just want to stop this degree, but I know my parents would be upset, and make noises about the magical benefits of having a degree and a wide ranging education and even if it's not what I want to do it might still be useful later. I suspect they're right, but I'm just so done with all of this.  I want it to go away.  

...That ended up being grumblier than I intended.  Hopefully you'll forgive me for that, and I'll try to finish out the week strongly tomorrow.  

Claireloise

Level 1 Amazon

Hey, it's less important that you're getting everything exactly the way you want it, and much more important that you're doing it at all. And I see you keep coming back and tweaking things, working out what's not working for you, what is, where to go next... that is a mahoosive challenge in itself, so well done! The start of big lifestyle changes like this do tend to feel like they can be a lot of ironing out details that you hadn't expected, when you want to just power straight into the challenge and smash it. Frustrating, I know. I'm at the same level as you and I'm still having to tweak stuff. I've changed my challenge about a bit as well after week 1 and finding that I was aiming all wrong. In your case it looks like you're going after the right things, and life / present circumstances are getting in the way. Just keep in there, you're already progressing so well!

I'm sorry to hear that uni's going the way it is. If you don't mind me asking, was it a subject that you were excited to get into when you started? Do you see it lining up with your long term goals? If it's not right for you, it's way better to change direction now than wait until your frustration with the subject becomes outright hatred of it.

Hey, I've quit uni twice. Started a physics degree at 18, got glandular fever, couldn't work for a year, got into debt, worked 6 days a week from second year, repeated a year, flailed about, failed everything, felt like crap. It wasn't what I wanted to do in the first place, and I was only doing it so I could leave home and be independent. After a few years, I went to law school. Did 2 years of that, went to work as a paralegal manager, made it most of the way through third year, hated the job, realised given my exposure to the realities of being a lawyer it wasn't what I wanted and I just had something to prove by getting A DEGREE ANY DEGREE, failed everything, quit, and lost my entire career in the recession and now I'm working in a bar.

Aaaaaand now I'm back at uni studying software engineering. What's different this time is I had a long wait after law school to figure out what I really, REALLY wanted to do. I prioritised my mental health over my career (after my post-law school implosion it took a massive turn for the worse - and it wasn't worth it). I took on a full time courseload this year, and just cut that down to half because... quality over quantity, and I never get anywhere panicking trying to prove something to... whoever it is I'm trying to prove something to. 

And now I won't graduate until I'm at least 37. NOT what I'd planned. So yes, having a degree is REALLY useful. This is true. It's why I'm still trying to get one. But a better reason is because you have enough investment in the subject to see you through the difficult times. If you're constantly swimming against the tide, you'll wear yourself down quicker than you expect, and if you break yourself, it can take years to come back from that. It's not worth it. 

I just wanted to tell you that, because it's something I've struggled with too, you're not alone here. First things first, don't panic! For the essay you're working on at the moment, aim for a pass. Putting massive pressure on yourself to get it perfect is likely distracting you from doing anything. Don't let perfect be the enemy of good, as they say. It doesn't have to be perfect. You'll have plenty of assessments ahead of you where you get the opportunity to submit an absolute cracker of an essay - it's ok to phone it in sometimes, and just aim for a pass simply for the purposes of getting the marks in / fulfilling course requirements and moving on, or whatever you have to do. Look at the question, figure out where the marks are (isolating one question / sentence at a time is something I've found massively useful) and go for a pass. If it turns out to be a subject you're totally into after doing that, then you've got your essay in the bag, and nothing's stopping you from building your knowledge in that area. Or not, whatever you want.

Then, figure out your options. Can you see a course counselor and talk your concerns through with them? Are you in a position to switch some of your courses to an area you'd be happier in? Can you take a year's deferral? Really, a year away from the pressure to focus on anything different can work wonders for clearing your head. That bit of distance can really put everything in perspective for you. I wish I'd done that, SO many times, instead of running myself into the ground and failing. Always give yourself options. You don't have to use them, it might even make you feel better and more in control to know what roads you can take.

I'm sorry if that looks like a total wall of unsolicited advice, and feel free to beat me up if it is :) I just saw you panicking and I know you're on a deadline, but I just wanted you to know that these things happen, even though it feels like massive pressure at the time, you DO have options. You don't have to get everything perfect. You can find a way to make it ok. You can even find a way to make it awesome. It WILL be alright *hugs* 

• Like 1

Half-Orc / Level 4 / Assassin

STR - 3 DEX - 1 STA - 4 CON - 13.5 WIS - 3 CHA - 6

Twitter: @hybrid756

CURRENT CHALLENGE

Challenge wrap up! April 12 - May 24 2015!
Challenge 1

Bf% - from 50% to 20%

21%
21%