Where to live?

Hey guys,

For all of you guys that are well traveled or just feel like sharing experiences, where do you guys feel is the best place to live?

Okay, that's probably not enough info haha. As some background, I'm 21 (in a day), recently married (6 months), and Active Duty in the U.S. Navy with about 4 years left on my current contract. I'm oroginally from the southern Appalachian region in western North Carolina/north Georgia, and my wife is from upstate New York about 45 min north of Albany.

She wants to move south of the Mason-Dixon line, and I wouldn't mind coming back to my birthplace in the end either. But as far as what she wants, that's about as much as she's shared. I think it's just because settling down is so far off. Extra tidbit, she wants me to stay in for the full 20 years because it's a stable decent-paying job, while -though I agree- I want to get out because I don't like being forced to work under irritating, self-important, idiots (but will I ever escape that?)

But as for me, I've been tossing potential places around my head for a while. I've thought about going back to north Georgia/western North Carolina, Washington state, Alaska, Montana, outside of Austin, and even outside America like New Zealand.

Thinking about it just now, outside of the obvious factors for choosing a place to live - taxes, financial, crime, etc - I want a place that can has options for open water sailing and hunting.

If there's any more info I should give or whatever, tell me

"A strong man doesn't need to read the future. He makes his own." -MGS1

"Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing." -MGS2

"An amateur practices until he can get it right. A professional practices until he can't get it wrong." -Anon.

"Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky." -Ace Combat 5

"Too many people have opinions on things they know nothing about. And the more ignorant they are, the more opinions they have." - Fallout: New Vegas

"Don't focus on words so much. Find the meaning behind the words, then decide." -MGS2

I've also got a passion for riding motorcycles, if that makes a difference

"Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing." -MGS2

"An amateur practices until he can get it right. A professional practices until he can't get it wrong." -Anon.

"Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky." -Ace Combat 5

"Too many people have opinions on things they know nothing about. And the more ignorant they are, the more opinions they have." - Fallout: New Vegas

"Don't focus on words so much. Find the meaning behind the words, then decide." -MGS2

Yes, eventually. We both want kids, but me being the cynical person I am I don't think this is the kind of world to bring someone into... but regardless we both want a family.

For the pension I've got a ways to go. 18 years to be exact. And there's just something about "starting" my life at 38 that doesn't quite appeal to me

Maybe its because I'm so young, but that seems super old haha

I want to get out because I don't like being forced to work under irritating, self-important, idiots (but will I ever escape that?)

Thinking about it just now, outside of the obvious factors for choosing a place to live - taxes, financial, crime, etc - I want a place that can has options for open water sailing and hunting.

No, you will never fully escape such people, although you can be fortunate enough to work without daily exposure to them.

And as far as sailing and hunting goes... MICHIGAN! It's pretty much fantastic. (Bias: I'm from there)

Maybe its because I'm so young, but that [38] seems super old haha

I'm only 28, and I can already tell you that 38 is not old! Every age is what you make it, and 38 is still plenty young enough to be sexy, traveling, living life, and making memories for 40, 50 years down the line.

Current Challenge #39 - 15.02.23  |  Challenges: #38, #29  |  Fitocracy: redtomato501

Stable and decent paying jobs with good pensions are rare.  Idiot bosses are not.

Don't stress about getting older.  I just turned 30, and I feel exponentially better about myself than I ever did in my early twenties.  Pick up healthy habits now and by 38, you'll be laughing.

• Like 1

PR's

5k - 21:29

10k - 47:26 43:29

21.1 - 2:05:26 1:44:21