Granny Nogg's Second Challenge

Granny Nogg

Side quest: to write all updates to this challenge thread while in-character.

_______

Fewer trees on the horizon allowed more light to reach the forest floor, which signaled the last half-mile of road before Granny Nogg would see the walls of the city. Ankh-Morpork was a bustling, multicultural and multispecies metropolis, home to the Unseen University, the Guilds, and the famed City Watch.

'Ahhh', Granny Nogg thought to herself as she passed the open wooden gates and nodded to the Watch officer on duty. 'I've missed ye, Ankh-Morpork.' The city would be home for the next six weeks, and the first order of business was to find Wiggly Charlie.

She looked to the rooftops for a familiar landmark: there he was, Wiggly Charlie, the black weathervane shaped like a cloaked man. It stood atop the Bell Tower and marked the location of the Assassins' Guild.

As Granny Nogg made her way across the considerable distance to the Guild, she mentally reviewed the course of training she'd be undertaking while at the mercies - if you could call them that (they certainly did) - of the Assassins:

Main Quest: To make more progress toward meeting all the required reps of the Beginner Body Weight Workout. To complete this quest I will:

• Quest 1: Work at the BBWW 3 times a week, increasing the following reps:
  • squats: Currently I can do 3 sets of 16. I will increase my reps by at least one rep every 2 weeks until I can do 3 sets of 19 squats.
  • push-ups Currently I can do 3 sets of 16 wall push-ups. I will increase my reps by at least one rep every two weeks until I can do 3 sets of 19 wall push-ups.
  • lunges: Currently I can do 3 sets of 18 walking lunges. I will increase my reps by at least one rep every two weeks until I can do 3 sets of 21 walking lunges.
  • dumbbell rows: Currently I can do 3 sets of 10 dumbbell rows with 12.5 lbs. I will increase my weight to 15 lbs by the end of the 6 weeks.
  • Triceps Kick Back:  Currently I can do 3 sets of 10 kick backs with 5 lbs.  I will increase my weight to 10 lbs by the end of the 6 weeks. 
  • Hand/wrist dumbbell exercises: Currently I can do 3 sets of 10 of each exercise.  Will maintain that level for the next 6 weeks. 
  • plank: Currently I can do 3 sets of 15 second planks. I will increase my plank time by at least one second every two weeks until I can do 3 sets of 18 second planks.
  • jumping jacks: Currently I can do 3 sets of 30 jumping jacks. This meets the criteria for the BBWW so my goal is to just continue with this number of reps/sets
    • Measurement: A= completing all elements of the quest 3x a week. B= Increasing reps for squats, push-ups, lunges, and plank by 75% AND being consistent about working out 3x a week. C= increasing reps for squats, push-ups, lunges, and plank by 50% but not being consistent about working out 3x a week. D= increasing reps for squats, push-ups, lunges, and plank by 25% but not being consistent about working out 3x a week; F= giving up.

Str=3

• Quest 2: Post to the forums 3x a week for encouragement and accountability
  • Post to my challenge thread at least 3x a week
  • Join and Participate in an Accountabilibuddies group
    • Measurement: A= participating at least one post/comment 3x a week in the forums, B= participating 2x a week in the forums. C= participating 1x a week in the forums . D= participating -1x a week in the forums. F= giving up.

Cha=3

• Quest 3: Respect my body so I get the most out of my workouts
  • Drink at least 6 glasses of water a day, 5 days of the week
  • Go to bed before 11pm at least 5 nights of the week

Post progress photos at least once a month to the Before/During/After Shots! album, "Granny Nogg's Progress"

Con=2

​

Life Quest:

• To write all updates to this challenge in-character (improve writing skills)
  • To film, edit, and upload a new how-to video for making a polymer clay flower cane to my YouTube channel
  • Like 4

Granny Nogg - Level 10 Warrior

Battle Log| Challenge 8 |Challenge 9 | Challenge 10

My Job | My Epic Quest | Instagram

"Those are not my monkeys."

Subscribed! I can't wait to read your challenge updates this time around. 

I'm going to try to post more often too - I hit a real slump last time and stopped posting so often. 

• Like 1

SHAEON

Jedi Apprentice

Druid Character Sheet

Daily Battle Log: Shaeon Restores Balance to the Force

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Current Challenge: Shaeon Focuses

"With great boots comes great responsibility."

Subscribed! I can't wait to read your challenge updates this time around. 

I'm going to try to post more often too - I hit a real slump last time and stopped posting so often. 

I'm subbing yours, too!  And yeah, the holidays can be so tough, and it feels like the winter will be easier to get back on track. 

Ready to watch your success :D

Thank you, Amdhiel!!

• Like 2

Wishing you good luck, Ms. Nogg!! I'm working on the beginner bodyweight workout too--let's kick its butt!

• Like 1

Lvl 3 Wood Elf Adventurer

STR 9.25 || DEX 5 || STA 3 || CON 9.75 || WIS 12.75 || CHA 2

Challenges: Current || #1 || #2 || #3 || Artistic & Creative Accountability || Etsy Shop

It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye. --The Fox in The Little Prince

Walk to Mordor // 116 out of 1779 miles

Filigree Street presented itself proudly in close association to the river Ankh, bearing a permanent waft of the latter's sludge-scent.  The buildings were saturated with it, every crack in brick and splinter in wood.  Not even the falling snow could dent it's stalwart presence.  

Granny Nogg wrinkled her nose as she emerged from The Mended Drum into the gray light of morning.  She noted the dual atmospheric conditions with equal distaste and pulled her cloak tighter for the cold walk to her destination.  Her choice of lodging was on her mind as snow crunched underfoot, specifically due to circumstances she hadn't anticipated-- namely the aforementioned atmospheric assaults.  

The Mended Drum had been chosen not for it's well-publicized nightly mock battles by aging Heroes of the Disc, but more for it's logical proximity to the Assassin's Guild, both being conveniently located on the same street.  Had she chosen differently, she reminded herself in icy mental tones, she could now have been sitting in a moderately uncomfortable omnibus, or even have paid for a ride in a light hansom.  

She dared not answer herself when she was in such a dour mood; it would only start a fight.  Besides, the walk was helping her to warm up a bit, and she'd soon reach the Guild.  As if to answer that thought, a sinister-looking building came into view that gave her the impression it was leering. A tall, dark and brick outer wall was blank except for the single gatehouse entrance.  No nameplate could be seen on or around the door, but it held a unique doorknocker in the manner of a miniature pair of well-endowed plastic boobs.  Above the door, a tin bucket of slop rested precariously on the door frame.  This was the Fools' Guild, Granny recalled.  As she passed, giving the doorway a wide berth, she thought she heard a faint maniacal laughter.  It sent a chill up her already chilled spine, and hastened her pace.

It was with an ironic sigh of relief that she reached the business next door.  An airy and ornate wrought iron fence revealed a collection of buildings set back from the road.  They were well lit by external lamps and faced in pale marble.  Graceful in architecture, there were towers and arched walkways, stained glass windows, colonnades and cultivated gardens.  A tourist might have mistaken it for Lord Ventinari's palace, but she knew it to be the Assassins' Guild and School.  The black-liveried door guard opened it upon seeing her approach.  He gave her a cultured bow, but never lowered his eyes.  

"Mister Bradlofrudd is in the gymnasium, Miss Nogg," he said. 
"Oh?  How did you..." Granny Nogg's question trailed off as she saw the guard's knowing expression.  She hadn't met him the day before and wondered how he knew who she was and who she was scheduled to meet with.
"You came to see him yesterday, carrying with you a confirmed course of day studies, specifically in the pursuit of a DiPE.  You're not boarding with us but plan to stay for six weeks at The Mended Drum.  You've recently been at sea, and you have a distinct dislike for snow."
There was a pause.  "Anything else?" she asked.  It was all she could say, as thoughts and questions shoved and tumbled over each other in her mind to get out first.

"You'll get used to the smell."

• Like 2

The holidays were definitely a tough time for a first challenge. Hopefully that just toughened us up for the future challenges!

I hope so, too.  Though I think there will always be things that will get in the way.  Maybe that's me having the "expect the other shoe to drop" mindset.  But I think every challenge will have stuff that just makes it hard to keep our heads above water.  What doesn't kill us makes us...  :)

I hope so, too.  Though I think there will always be things that will get in the way.  Maybe that's me having the "expect the other shoe to drop" mindset.  But I think every challenge will have stuff that just makes it hard to keep our heads above water.  What doesn't kill us makes us...   :)

What doesn't kill us makes us Emojis? Good lord, that's a dreadful thought Granny Nogg. I hope the one I'm made into is holding a comfortable pose, at least. ;)

• Like 1

SHAEON

Jedi Apprentice

Druid Character Sheet

What doesn't kill us makes us Emojis? Good lord, that's a dreadful thought Granny Nogg. I hope the one I'm made into is holding a comfortable pose, at least. ;)

HAHAHAHHA.  Who knows... I heard it said that in the modeling world, if the pose doesn't hurt then you aren't doing it right. 

• Like 1

I will likely be afk for a few days. My husband had a heart attack this morning. He's doing okay, they had one stint put in, the artery was 90% blocked. He'll be in the hospital for another day or two.

Sent from my Samsung S4 using Tapatalk.

They said he'd had a heart attack 7 years ago and also again yesterday. They put a stint in one artery but the back one is dead. They're not sure if he'll need a bypass, the other arteries have been compensating, and they would rather not crack his chest if they don't absolutely need to.

Sent from my Samsung S4 using Tapatalk.

Oh noes! I hope your husband gets better with the least amount of invasive surgery as possible! I'm glad he's okay, though. Take your time spending time with and helping out your husband and taking care of RL stuff. We'll be here when you've got the time to come by.

I love your Discworld theme. I love the Discworld. My boyfriend and I have been reading the books together since we got together. I'm obsessed, lol.

Keep up the good work! I look forward to more.

Jazzy

Fox Demon

Level 3

STR 2 | DEX 3 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 6 | CHA 1

How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.

Spread Sheet

Lvl: 1 |

No Soda PVP - 367/365 days Soda free Starting: 08/30/14 

100%
100%

Oh no! Keeping you and your husband in my thoughts, Granny Nogg! Take care!

Thanks Shae.  He's doing better, at least I think so.  He has been doing the physical therapy they want him to do (namely walking on our treadmill at home).  And he's planning on eating better.  Yesterday I taught him how to make sushi.  He now knows he has to stop eating at McDonalds at his lunch break from work.  Lifestyle changes will take time but I think he's convinced that he needs to make them now. 

Sorry to hear that. Let us know how you both are doing.

He's doing better (see above).  I am too.  I've stopped waking in the middle of the night to see if he's breathing.  I think my stress level has come down some.  I hope it has-- sometimes it's just hard to tell, you know?

I'm sorry to hear about your husband Granny! Let us know if you need anything.

Just the fact that you guys popped in to see what was going on and left encouraging comments-- that was HUGE.   Thank you so much!

Oh noes! I hope your husband gets better with the least amount of invasive surgery as possible! I'm glad he's okay, though. Take your time spending time with and helping out your husband and taking care of RL stuff. We'll be here when you've got the time to come by.

I love your Discworld theme. I love the Discworld. My boyfriend and I have been reading the books together since we got together. I'm obsessed, lol.

Keep up the good work! I look forward to more.

Thank you Cap'n!  I do want to make this more of a priority than I made it this week.  I was thinking about it today... my workout needs not take a back seat when my life goes 52-card-pickup.  I need to make it as much a priority that I take time for as brushing my teeth, you know?

And thanks on the Discworld theme.  I love the Pratchett books-- started re-reading them recently (I'm still in "The Color Of Magic") and it definitely influences my thinking and writing when I'm in the Discworld mood. It'll be a challenge working this past week into the next update and yet keep it in character.  I am thinking much on this.  

Eeek, get well soon Mr Nogg.

Thank you, Ocelot.  Mr. Nogg is hanging in there.  Methinks he's perhaps going to join me in the BBWW once he's finished with Physical Therapy.... I talk about NF all the time and my whole family knows I'm involved in it.  He already has a character.... so perhaps someday The Toilet Troll will join us.  

An update soon, and I'll be back to my groups with more stuff in the next day or two, I hope.  

• Like 2

Glad to hear he's doing better and working on the better food choices! We will welcome him here if he decides to join us, of course! 

Also glad to hear you are doing good. Hugs to you! 

SHAEON

Jedi Apprentice

Druid Character Sheet

So glad to hear that he's improving Granny!! It sounds like he'll be sensible and work on lifestyle changes with you which would be awesome!  Even a pirate lass needs help along the way :pirate:. I'll keep sending positive thoughts your way!

Assassin

Battle Log | MFP: Amdhiel
Challenges: Current#7#6, #5, #4,
#3, #2, #1

"Why do we fall sir? So that we can learn to pick ourselves up." Alfred - Batman Begins

Wow, I totally didn't expect it when I heard about your husband. Kept him in my prayers and it's good to hear he's getting better!

I hate to say it, but I know for fact (quite a few medical-pro's in my extended family) that most people will seriously look at changing their lifestyle after a big scare like a heart attack. What happened was horrible, but hopefully it'll give him the motivation he needs to level up his life in an awesome way! And you know what? That's awesome. And you know what else? I'll post crap on his thread too, if he makes one.

Because that's just what we do here. *very anemic Nerdy war cry*

*cough* I'm working on it...

Anyway, keep us posted on his improvement! Yay for sushi! (I never was a fan, until my boyfriend introduced me to it.) And ICK! ACK! BLECH! to McDonald's.

And while we're speaking of Discworld, I just finished reading Equal Rites today. ^_^ But Guards! Guards! will forever remain my favorite.

Battle Log
Challenge Log
I made a mistake.

Okay, quick update as I'm heading to bed.  I really want to do a Discworld one but that'll have to wait...

Allen is stable, they told us it'll take about two months to recover from the heart attack and surgery, and he may be off work for all of that time, we don't know.  He has just enough sick days, personal leave, and vacation time to go 6 weeks if need be.  After that the short-term medical leave kicks in but it's only 60% of his income and that won't fly.  So we hope he'll be released to work MUCH quicker than that.

He had his first cardiac rehab workout today.  The hospital runs it in a local sports gym, which is nice.  While he walked on the treadmill and did the elyptical, I used the track and jogwalked.  He did have an angina attack while working out-- a very real reminder of how his heart is nowhere ready to go back to the rigors of work.  He's an assistant manager at a restaurant supply store-- lots of cases of #10 cans pass through his hands on any given day.  So the angina attack was a reminder that even very mild physical activity is too much for him right now.  

We're working on getting him some projects to do, so that his mind is engaged in his hobbies and he doesn't get bored.  Boredom can lead to depression, so we're actively trying to head that off.  He likes to woodwork, do metalsmithing, photography and editing, etc.  Tomorrow he'll dye some of his disc golf discs and buy supplies to motorize his disc golf cart.  

Me-- I went back to the Body Weight Workout today.  Man!!  A week of not working out can sure make a huge difference.  I was pretty winded, more than I thought I would be.  I'm wondering if the increased stress is affecting my physical ability?  Anyway, I did about half the BBWW because I got so winded and my heart was racing.  My blood sugar might have been low-- I usually workout before eating so that I don't get an upset stomach.  But then later I jogwalked 2 miles on the track so I figure it was a decent workout today, all things considered.  And I certainly won't object to adding in a half dozen miles of jogwalking a week in addition to my BBWW.  

I'm behind on work, but slowly catching up.  That's certainly part of my stress-- remember how stressed out I was at Christmas about getting those orders out and my teaching video done?  Yeh, this feels alot like that.  I have GOT to get back into Tai Chi to work on releasing that stress. 

Okay, many hugs to you girls for popping in and sending your warmth.  :)  I'll be back!

OH-- I'm not leaving yet.  I forgot about the foooood.  Right.  So between his new diabetic and cardiac dietary needs, and my intolerances to wheat and dairy, I asked myself what the hell we were gonna eat, knowwhatImean? We've done a LOT of talking about how to change our diet.  He says he's gonna stop eating out for lunch every day at work.  I'm going to cook extra for each meal so he can take leftovers to work again.  We used to do that, but when my art business went full-time, I had less time to cook so there was less leftovers and more frozen pizzas or McDonald's.  Yep.  Gotta knock that off.  We're really trying to get into eating a bag of Steamfresh veggies with both lunch and dinner.  I told him he could take his bag to work frozen and by the time lunch rolls around it'll be defrosted.  We're trying different seasonings (Mrs Dash kindof thing) to see which ones he likes so he can buy some to keep in his desk at work.  Yay more veggies!!

• Like 2

I just heard about your husband from your post over at the CutLasses.  Just wanted to let you know you're in my prayers and I hope his recovery is swift.

1 Tim 4:7-8 "...train yourself for godliness; for while bodily training is of some value,

godliness is of value in every way, as it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come."

Current Challenge: ... this feature is still loading ...

Previous Challenges: Commiting to CommitUnashamedCoping through HopingChillaxes