Aoife Marie is back in the game!

Maia

Well, I'm finally back home! I wasn't able to focus on NF the last few challenges while I was going to school in Missouri. It just wasn't gonna happen. But I'm back now and itching for my next challenge!

Tangled.gif

I originally planned this out without a theme or gifs... but where's the fun in THAT?

My main goal is to reduce my body fat percentage to 25% (currently 29.9%) by April 1st, 2015. The old part of me is so tempted to start weighing every day again... but I really want the focus to be on losing fat and gaining muscle. Even so, I'm sure I'll drop some unnecessary weight in the process. 

tumblr_n28adtJ9kO1tskzmto3_r2_500.gif

Mission 1: Improve speed and awareness

I will run 2x per week (4 STA) and walk for 5 minutes in the morning when I first get up at least 5x per week (1 WIS). 

Maximus-running.gif

Grading scale

12+ runs=A(4 STA), 9=B(3 STA), 6=C(2 STA)

30+ walks=A(1 WIS), 20=B(0.75 WIS), 10=C(0.5 WIS)

I eventually want to get my 5k pace under 30 minutes, but for now I'd settle with reestablishing a regular running routine. I feel like I haven't had one since my last half marathon. 

Mission 2: Improve strength

I will work out 2x per week (5 STR). I will start with a modified version of the bodyweight brigade workout through the end of January, then I will increase the difficulty.

This one is gonna be the most difficult for me. I have a much easier time just getting out there and running than actually doing a full workout. It's not because I don't enjoy it! I really do. I just like to procrastinate. A lot. It's a constant struggle. 

tumblr_lzv4g32q1J1qm6oc3o1_500.gif

Grading: 12+ workouts=A(5 STR), 9=B(4 STR), 6=C(3 STR)

Mission 3: Improve fuel

I will eat a primal lunch and/or dinner 5x per week (5 CON).

I'm trying to ease my way back into healthy eating. I know I can do it because I've done it before. My biggest problem is that I try to give up everything I like to eat all at once and jump in too quickly and then I don't stick to it. So I'm trying to add healthy foods here, not necessarily take them away. That being said, I should probably still try to keep my sweet tooth in check. 

giphy.gif

Grading: 30+ primal meals=A(5 CON), 20=B(4 CON), 10=C(3 CON)

I only graded to a C on each one because that's the lowest I'll ever get. 'Cause I'm gonna rock this challenge. 

large.gif

No life quest this time. I'm trying to keep it simple so I'll actually participate. Doing my missions isn't difficult, it's actually updating on NF. I'm so bad at following through :) but I have no excuse this time! I'm out of school, I'm unemployed and have all the time in the world. I promise to update at -least- weekly. Feel free to bug me with private messages if you notice that I'm not keeping that promise :)

Cheers!

826205f08344527b2557a3d849f0f134.gif

Updates:

Week 2 Summary

Week 3 Summary

Week 4 Summary

Week 5 Summary

Week 6 and Challenge Summary

• Like 2

Level 2 Warrior Assassin

2016: The Game

Current world: Neverland

Not doing very good leading up to this thing... Chinese food, lemon cake, queso, soda... all my weaknesses seem to be appearing in the kitchen all at once. :( Wish I was in control of grocery purchases. Would make things easier. I won't let that stop my evening run tonight, though! Can't wait to chase some zombs. 

Level 2 Warrior Assassin

Day 1&2

I was originally going to start working out yesterday, but I've had minor knee pain the last two days and didn't want to push it too far. I skipped the workout and the run but still went for my walk in the morning. I ate an unhealthy lunch and skipped dinner because I was so tired and just forgot to eat. That's been happening a lot lately. I actually fell asleep fully dressed with my glasses still on and my lights still on in my room. Gotta eat better... I know part of it is my nutrition. 

Today has been much better, though. I woke up at 6:30, and instead of rolling over and going back to sleep, I figured since I went to sleep early I might as well just get up. My knee felt a lot better this morning, so I did the workout I had planned for Monday:

warmup

10 incline push ups

10 prisoner squats

10 bench dips (short rest after the first 5)

10 lunges (5 on each leg)

30 jumping jacks

rest

10 incline push ups (short rest after the first 5)

10 prisoner squats

10 bench dips

10 lunges

30 jumping jacks

rest

10 incline push ups (short rest after the first 7)

10 prisoner squats

10 bench dips

8 lunges (slight knee pain, so I stopped immediately)

rest

30 jumping jacks

5 min walk

stretch

I'm trying a new protein powder today. I used to use Dymatize ISO-100 Fudge Brownie, and I am SO glad that flavor is finally used up and out of my pantry. I can't afford to throw things away because I don't like the flavor, so I waited until it was all gone to buy a new one. It's okay if you mix a banana in with it, but otherwise it's gross. I switched to Gold Standard 100% Whey Double Rich Chocolate and so far, so good. I mixed it with coconut milk and ice, but it's a little weird because all I could find was the slightly sweetened coconut milk. I really need to find a place that sells it unsweetened.

Level 2 Warrior Assassin

I ate not one... but TWO primal meals today. :D /soproud

For lunch, I had some ham (real ham, not lunch meat ham) and steamed green beans. The beans were kinda weird, so I didn't finish them... I think they might have been gettin' up there in age. For dinner, I went to a friend's house and she served an unexpectedly delicious healthy dinner. Chicken stir fry with veggies, a salad with cucumber, pine nuts and vinaigrette, grilled potato slices and fresh fruit. Delicious. I'm gonna feel great tomorrow.  B) Primal meals, check and check. 

Level 2 Warrior Assassin

Day 3&4

So day 3 I did my run (yay!) but my nutrition was less than par. I've been keeping up with my morning walks though :) So there's that. 

Today is day 4 and I just finished my morning workout. 

warmup: up and down stairs for the mini challenge

10 incline push ups (short rest after first 8)

10 prisoner squats

5 bench dips (too sore to attempt more)

10 lunges (5 on each leg)

30 jumping jacks

rest

10 incline push ups (short rest after the first 7)

10 prisoner squats

5 bench dips

10 lunges

30 jumping jacks

rest

10 incline push ups (short rest after the first 5)

10 prisoner squats

5 bench dips

10 lunges

30 jumping jacks

stretch

I'm really happy with this workout for two reasons. For one, my legs have been really sore this week from all the lunges, squats, running and stair climbing (not for the mini challenge, just in general) but I was still able to do 30 prisoner squats in good form today. I think I may have been underestimating what I'm capable of :) And two, even though I've been more active this week than I have in a long time, my knees actually hurt LESS during today's workout than when I started. My knee pain is almost completely gone. I have high hopes that I'll be pain free by the end of this challenge. :D

Level 2 Warrior Assassin

This sounds very much on-track! Good luck with your goal.

How are you measuring bf?

I have an Omron body fat monitor. I know it isn't the most accurate way to measure in the world, but it's quick and easy and I'm more concerned with seeing the number go down than knowing my exact body fat percentage. I just do it three times and average it out, and the three readings are usually within 0.01% of each other. :)

Level 2 Warrior Assassin

I have an Omron body fat monitor. I know it isn't the most accurate way to measure in the world, but it's quick and easy and I'm more concerned with seeing the number go down than knowing my exact body fat percentage. I just do it three times and average it out, and the three readings are usually within 0.01% of each other. :)

So long as it changes over time, roughly reflecting what you see in the mirror, the accuracy should be fine.

I also wanted to ask you if you were amenable to fooling around with a barbell for this part:

I will work out 2x per week (5 STR). I will start with a modified version of the bodyweight brigade workout through the end of January, then I will increase the difficulty.

It helps tremendously with raising BMR, and therefore helps with fat loss as well.

Oh, and I also wanted to ask whether "Ginger" as a fantasy race has an "is always" alignment the way Sahuagin or Kender do.

Level 2 Illithid Assassin, STR: 5 DEX: 2 STA: 1 CON: 1 WIS: 4 CHA: 4

Current challenge: Level 2 - Serving it up!

So long as it changes over time, roughly reflecting what you see in the mirror, the accuracy should be fine.

I also wanted to ask you if you were amenable to fooling around with a barbell for this part:

It helps tremendously with raising BMR, and therefore helps with fat loss as well.

Oh, and I also wanted to ask whether "Ginger" as a fantasy race has an "is always" alignment the way Sahuagin or Kender do.

I would LOVE to train with a barbell and definitely want to do it in the future, but I can't afford a gym membership and no one I know has one. When I'm employed again, I may consider joining a gym with barbells but for now I'm stuck with body weight exercises alone. As for race, I put ginger 'cause I'm a redhead haha. 

Level 2 Warrior Assassin

I would LOVE to train with a barbell and definitely want to do it in the future, but I can't afford a gym membership and no one I know has one. When I'm employed again, I may consider joining a gym with barbells but for now I'm stuck with body weight exercises alone.

Snoop a little, you'd be surprised at the non-mainstream options (unless you're on Inis Oírr or some other uninhabited place). I train at the national weightlifting team's gym, which is both government-subsidised and has zero machines or cardio devices. I never have to fight for rack space, and it's only $30/mo.

As for race, I put ginger 'cause I'm a redhead haha.

"Always Evil", got it! ;)

• Like 1

Level 2 Illithid Assassin, STR: 5 DEX: 2 STA: 1 CON: 1 WIS: 4 CHA: 4

Current challenge: Level 2 - Serving it up!

This has been an awesome week for me. I've already met my goal on workouts and walks. I just need two more meals to meet my goal for nutrition and one more run. The scale hasn't budged, but I don't really care because I can feel that I've lost around my waist. That's good enough for me. And besides, I feel awesome. This morning was supposed to be a run morning, but I actually -wanted- to work out. I craved it. Yesterday was a rest day and it KILLED me to do nothing. I'll wait another week first, but if I keep feeling the way I do right now, I may change it to 4 activities a week instead of strictly 2 runs and 2 workouts. I'm loving this. 

Today's workout:

warm up: stairs/walk/punches/dancing around like a loon

10 negative neutral-grip pull ups

15 prisoner squats (even at 15, they are starting to feel easier and easier already)

10 incline push ups

10 step ups (swapping these in for lunges, lunges still make my knees hurt apparently)

5 bench dips

10 side lunges

30 jumping jacks

60 second rest

10 negative neutral grip pull ups

16 prisoner squats

10 incline push ups

12 step ups

5 bench dips

10 side lunges

30 jumping jacks

60 second rest

10 negative neutral grip pull ups

15 prisoner squats

10 incline push ups

10 step ups

5 bench dips

10 side lunges

30 jumping jacks

60 second rest

cool down: stretching

It's gonna be a great day :D

tumblr_lr0bsoHC7K1r2plcpo1_400.gif

Level 2 Warrior Assassin

Snoop a little, you'd be surprised at the non-mainstream options (unless you're on Inis Oírr or some other uninhabited place). I train at the national weightlifting team's gym, which is both government-subsidised and has zero machines or cardio devices. I never have to fight for rack space, and it's only $30/mo.

I looked around and found two options that might be $10 a month. I emailed them a barrage of questions so we'll see :) Thanks for the tip!

Level 2 Warrior Assassin

Week 1 Summary

This was an awesome week. Did everything go perfectly? No, of course not. But overall I'm doing much better this challenge than I have in the past. 

Mission 1: Improve speed, run 2x a week and walk 5x a week

I've been having on and off knee pain this week and I didn't want to overdo it starting out. Also, I ended up swapping one of my run days for another workout for kicks and giggles. Totally worth it. And I met my goal of walking 5 times this week. As far as I'm concerned, I did pretty good on this one. 

Mission 2: Improve strength, work out 2x a week

I actually ended up working out 3 times this week. I felt pretty sore after the second workout, but I'm feeling pretty good today. My back muscles are sore (in a good way), so I'm pretty sure I'm doing a good job of activating them during my pull up negatives. Makes me happy. :D Another job well done. 

Mission 3: Improve fuel, eat primal 5x a week

This one has been a struggle for me. I tend to view this as an all or nothing pass/fail, even though it isn't. My overall nutrition has been much better this week than in the last few months, but I've definitely eaten some stuff I regret. As far as this challenge is concerned, I succeeded. I ate either a primal or paleo lunch/dinner 5 times this week. Win. 

Overall

I'm feeling pretty good at this stage of the game. Like I said, my knee has been acting up occasionally and I've had to change up my workouts a bit, but overall I'm really happy with my first week. On track for an A+ :D

gif+rapunzel+guitarra.gif
  • Like 1

Level 2 Warrior Assassin

I'm adding a life quest. I've already been battling with it for about a week... I might as well make it part of the challenge :) I've got to conquer the mess in my room. When I moved back in from my trip (spent 4 months out of state), I never fully unpacked and everything just kinda exploded. And it wasn't exactly perfectly organized when I left. I'm thinking as a reward for completing this one, I should be able to buy these shoes. I've been eyeing them for a while and lots of people have recommended them for workout/weight lifting shoes. :D

Level 2 Warrior Assassin

Day 1&2

Monday was supposed to be an active day, but I ended up not making time for it. I was busy and by the time I got home, I just wanted to veg. So I worked out yesterday instead. I took Steve's body weight brigade workout level 2 and altered it a bit. I also did an evening walk on Monday around the entire community. I'm counting it towards my walks even though it wasn't in the morning. It was probably a mile. 

I had one primal meal on Monday and two on Tuesday. I've been eating really well compared to how I ate for the last few months. Today we're making chili at some point, and I'm making chicken stir fry with fresh broccoli. We should have leftovers of both. Very exciting. 

Today's workout:

warmup: stairs and morning walk, knee rolls, archers

5 negative pull ups, neutral grip (for some reason these were harder today than they were 2-3 days ago)

15 dumbbell squats, 10 lbs

10 incline push ups

10 hip raises

10 bent dumbbell rows, 5 lbs

10 reverse crunches (ugh)

30 jumping jacks

rest

5 neg pull ups, neutral

10 incline push ups

10 hip raises, right leg up

10 reverse crunches

30 jumping jacks

rest

20 band pull downs (bored/impatient with negatives)

10 incline push ups

10 hip raises, left leg up

10 reverse crunches

30 jumping jacks

10 minutes stretching

I'm a bit concerned that I've been doing so well with my primal meals, runs and workouts and yet I don't feel any better. I usually feel better at this stage of the game. I've stayed the exact same weight (which is weird, usually there's a 1-2 pound difference each week even when I'm not working out/eating right) and according to my Omron, I've actually gained fat. Not sure how that is working. I'm gonna keep at it though. It's a long game and I know I can't expect my body to be transfigured overnight. 

tumblr_nfen9iZ3rJ1rpcl4mo1_500.gif

Level 2 Warrior Assassin

Could be anything, including time of month. I know unless I'm on Vitex and drinking enough water I have a couple of days that I'm significantly larger than I just was, which is super annoying.

Week 1 looked like you did pretty awesome :)

tumblr_inline_movk4h3tFV1qz4rgp.gif

• Like 1

Current Challenge: Installing, Please Wait

Last Challenge :NW13 - System Failure, Please Reboot

Previous Challenges: 22 21 20 19 18 17 16 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

Day 3&4

Yesterday was an interesting day. I tracked all of my food to see what was really going on, because I knew it wasn't my workouts throwing me off. Sure enough, I figured it out. All day long I'm eating really well. No cravings or anything, it's going great. Then about 6pm hits and I have to have sugar. I thought I was keeping it in check, but I've been going way over the top. So I need to get that under control. From now on, I'm not counting dinner as a paleo meal unless it's not followed by pretzels and nutella or ginger snaps >> I've also been kinda stressed lately. There's been a lot of negativity, some from me and some from others in my life. I'm sure that's not helping me any. 

That being said, I did have a great day nutritionally. Lots of protein, lots of fresh veggies and two pieces of fruit. Gonna do the same today, hopefully. The battle begins at 6pm. Oh except I have yoga tonight, so that should distract me a bit. :) Also, I cut up a bunch of fruit and veggies for snacking and my plan if/when cravings hit is to make fresh juice instead of seeking out chocolate/candy/whatever else is in the pantry with sugar in it. Right now I'm playing with carrot/apple juice. The recipe I've always used says to use 3 carrots and 2 apples, but I actually like it better with more carrot in it. Next time I'm gonna try 4 carrots and half an apple and see how it tastes. Wish me luck!

Here's this morning's workout:

warm up

10 incline push ups (7 on 4th stair, 3 on dresser)

10 dumbbell squats (10 lbs)

10 inverted rows

20 step ups (2nd stair)

:15 decline plank (1st stair)

30 jumping jacks

rest

10 incline push ups (5 on 4th stair, 5 on dresser)

15 dumbbell squats (10 lbs)

10 inverted rows

20 step ups (2nd stair)

30 jumping jacks

rest

10 incline push ups (4 on 4th stair, 6 on dresser)

10 dumbbell squats (10 lbs)

10 inverted rows

20 step ups (2nd stair)

30 jumping jacks

10 min stretching

I think I've finally nailed down what I'm gonna be focusing on. I wanted to play around a bit for my first few workouts, but it's time to get serious. I'm not gonna be able to keep track of tiny improvements unless I'm doing a consistent routine. I've settled on an adapted version of the body weight brigade level 2. 

The above workout is workout A, and for workout B I'll be doing 10 inverted rows, 20 lunge squats (lunge steps hurt my knees), 10 close-grip incline push ups, 10 hip raises, 10 hanging knee tucks and 30 jumping jacks. 

I have a very hard time sticking to one routine (as you may have noticed), so as a reward for sticking to this routine for 8 straight workouts, I'm gonna buy this book. I've heard really good things about it, and if all goes well I would like to start lifting barbells in the near future. 

Wow, I just realized how long this post is. 

tldr.jpg

I'm eating way too much sugar in the evenings, that's why I'm not losing any weight. Other than that, my nutrition has been really good. 

I worked out today and I have yoga tonight. 

I've picked one workout routine and I plan to stick to it for at least 2-3 weeks. 

Level 2 Warrior Assassin

Day 5&6

Okay confession time... I did not have a good day yesterday. At all. My plan was to wake up early, go for my walk and then do some paid work from 8 to 12, then run errands. And eat real food. That was always the plan. 

I actually woke up late because I was exhausted, and then I ended up driving my brother almost an hour away for a camping trip (he couldn't leave his car there overnight) and then an hour back. He offered to buy me McDonald's for breakfast... and I caved. My will power is pretty much nil when I'm that tired. By the time all that was done, there was no more time for work and I rushed straight into errands. Around 4-5pm, I realized I never ate lunch. It hit me so hard and so fast and I had no time to go home. So I had fast food again. And I ended up staying out running errands/going to worship night at my church until about 11pm. By the time I started driving home for the night, I just wanted an easy meal that didn't require any work... so I went to Taco Bell. 

Yeah. Fast food for breakfast, lunch and dinner after not having fast food for over a month. Let me tell you, I thought I'd be okay but I woke up this morning with a fast food hangover. I got out of bed and I was so dizzy I had to sit back down for a bit. And the headache... wow. Never again. At least two good things have come out of this. 1) I know that my body is clearly adapting to healthier foods and this will prove as motivation to never ever do this again and 2) I didn't have a late night sweets binge! Yay!... >_> I wanted to, but I ended up buying a 72% cacao almond bar while I was out and it was enough. I only had 4 squares of it too. So fingers crossed it will be enough to satisfy me tonight as well. 

Today has been much better so far. I didn't think it was fair to my poor body to make it work out on an empty stomach considering the crap I ingested yesterday, so I'm eating a healthy breakfast and letting it digest before I work out. Depending on how I feel at that point, I may move my workout to tomorrow morning. 

I'm planning on visiting the farmer's market later this morning too. I'm out of raw honey and their vegetables are HUGE and cheap. Seriously, the carrots are like thicker than my wrist twice over. It's pretty awesome. 

I'll let you guys know if I work out later today. 

Level 2 Warrior Assassin