Lou_be_lou_be_lou_be just make it routine

Lou_be_Lou

Goals:

1) Stay healthy

2) Play more music

3) get fitter/faster/stronger

So, goal 1 = food and handwashing.  I've had this one for a few challenges - but I'm keeping it, cause if I eat any gluten, then that is pretty much me gone for 6 weeks. 

No gluten containing food, read labels, don't take food risks.  Wash my hands whenever I'm in doubt about what I've recently touched.  All of this is starting to feel more like routine behaviour, but I want to consolidate it.

To make this more fun I'm also going to try new recipes - not as fixed this time as a compulsory recipe a week, but I still have a huge list of recipes I want to try pinned to the side of the fridge.  Yum!

Goal 2: Play more music.  Yep, do what it says on the tin.  My double bass playing lapsed in December - I'd been practising towards some gigs, and after the gigs I stopped.  My bad. So, get going again.  My sticker reward calendar system is on the go again.  Everytime I practise = a sticker on the calendar = happiness.  Play at least 5/7 days.  That way, one day off is not a failure, simply a rest day.  Again, build this back into a routine.  Especially because it makes me feel like me.

Goal 3: Exercise......

This is where my goals are a bit muddy.

I've signed up for edinburgh 1/2 marathon in late may (sodding peer pressure).  So, its time to build a running base - this is going to be a mixture of outdoors and treadmill.  My current thinking is: saturday = 5k parkrun, sunday = long run, wed and friday treadmill work, one day intervals or hill intervals and the other a steady run.  Looking at this, I don't like having runs friday, sat, sun, but my running workouts are slotted in around martial arts training and bass practise (tues and thurs are evening martial arts classes, so my only double bass playing is before work).  I'll have to see how this goes.  I'm currently planning monday as my rest day (day after long run and rehearsal in the evening).

I also want to do some bodyweight strength work - based around the academy BW workouts, somewhere level 3/4 ish.  This is looking like only being 2x a week (wed and friday) but maybe also on saturday after parkrun.

But I'm here not because of running or strength training, I'm here because my favourite exercise sessions are all martial arts training!  I have classes to go to: sunday night, tuesday and thursday.  So yep, I'll go to them.  But...... ideally I want to do at home work to build on my technique..... especially as I might be doing my 3rd Dan kickboxing (our club fits under a sports karate banner) grading later this year.  Soooooo, make it to training and somehow, at currently unscheduled times of the week fit in 2 or more at home training sessions.

Ahhhhh rubbish, this doesn't look like building a routine, it looks like Lou does all of the things.............  But I like doing all of the things.........  and I've not even mentioned lunchtime yoga!  That doesn't need to be a goal cause I love it very much indeed.

• Like 5

NF challenges: March 2018 , 12 , 11 , 10, 9876, 54321

oh lou, doing all the things is kind of what lou's do best, didn't you know?

and you KNOW I'm a fan of the calendar system to track and accomplish things!

for your 1/2 marathon, this site has wonderful running training programs:

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51130/Half-Marathon-Training-Guide

I have done the 10K version a bunch and it's really really good. highly recommended.

• Like 1

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

I do enjoy parkrun, although ours in Newport is habitually a boggy slip and slide.

So is Dundee's!  I made the mistake of wearing NEW running shoes.......... Bad idea......  My local one (st andrews) is less boggy and fortunately lots flatter, phew.  Isn't it brilliant though, having a ready made running community!  I keep discovering that folk I know through science or music or the supermarket actually run. 

Hooray for healthy Lous!

YAY!!!!!!  It makes such a difference!  Avoiding all of the gluten like the plague.....

Look on the brightside - you're embracing the eclectic, Crossfitlike nature of the martial journey. Have fun. Enjoy yourself. Worst case, you'll have a hell of a story to tell at the end of it.

Yep that!  Must remember and quote you - I still find it tricky to describe the mixed challenges of martial arts.  Possibly not helped by doing one striking art and one throwy one......  Especially confusing as the jujitsu club only kicks with the rear leg (on the few occasions where they kick).  Mind you, recent gradings in kickboxing all seem to have the theme of pushing the candidate to the point of throwing up.... So basic fitness and quick recovery = essential!

Interval training anyone?

Summary:  Do ALL THE THINGS.  Very awesome.

Oh yes,  ALL THE THINGS. Yes please!

oh lou, doing all the things is kind of what lou's do best, didn't you know?

and you KNOW I'm a fan of the calendar system to track and accomplish things!

for your 1/2 marathon, this site has wonderful running training programs:

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51130/Half-Marathon-Training-Guide

I have done the 10K version a bunch and it's really really good. highly recommended.

I take your calendar system and convert it to a sticker reward chart!

All of the happy!

• Like 1

First progress report:

Running rest day = DONE, I do likes a rest day.

Kicking practise = DONE - Cheechoe's hip routine for kickheight - followed by bucketloads of stretching such a good start to the day!

Double bass practise = Jazz day today - and I done did it, messed with my brain by upgrading to all of the scales in 2 octaves.  Hmmmmm, haven't done that for a while for jazz and it messed with my counting to 8 (scale routine = major in all 12 keys, then around 6 major modes in all 12 keys........ sometimes I push the boat out and go through the minor modes as well, but thats more on my to do list......).  Anyway, it was  a fun practise.  Mainly scales and patterns.

A good day 1.

ps it also had bonus handwashing as there are rumours of norovirus at work!  EEEEEEEKKKKKKK!

• Like 1

holy hell!!...how do you do all the things?!?!?!?!

subbing to witness and hopefully gain your talent through forum osmosis.

• Like 1

“It’s the sensible, logical thing to do, of course, which is why we don’t do it.” -Tanis, Dragons of Autumn Twilight

"Hope is the denial of reality. It is the carrot dangled before the draft horse to keep him plodding along in a vain attempt to reach it." - Raistlin - Dragons of Autumn Twilight

Current Challenge

morning report:  Cheechoe's hip routine done, bucketloads of stretching done, Classical bass practise, Done.  Almost still awake here.

Looking forward to jujitsu tonight!

Oh, you meant THAT kind of Double Bass. Not drums. 

Now I'm curious if you play jazz 

• Like 1

Level 3 Martial Monk, True Neutral

STR: 6.5 | DEX: 6 | STA: 7 | CON: 9 | WIS: 8 | CHA: 6

My First Challenge

My head is spinning with how busy you are!

Well done for being on track so far

Head spinning is go!  That's what they're for - isn't it?  Mine does that a lot........

Sticker charts are made of win.  Nice strong start, good luck continuing to do all of the things!

I loves me a good sticker chart.... Plus, telling all my friends about it is a great way of always being given more stickers!

holy hell!!...how do you do all the things?!?!?!?!

subbing to witness and hopefully gain your talent through forum osmosis.

te he he.... Whether I can sustain all of the things is yet to be shown.... Fingers and toes crossed.

Oh, you meant THAT kind of Double Bass. Not drums. 

Now I'm curious if you play jazz 

oh yes, that kind of bass, and absolutely to jazz.  But needing to regain my groove.  Currently being inspired by the Matt Wilson Quartet - did a search for reviews of 2014 albums and they came up - lovely stuff.

Annnnnnnnddddd made it to jujitsu tonight - first session of the new year.   They're changing our grading system!!!!!!!  My memory is going to get me into soooo much trouble - next grading is going to involve my new techniques, plus all the techniques of the previous two gradings..... Its a good idea cause we all have memories like goldfish, but opps re figuring out how to de-goldfish my memory.  Plus todays class...... ALL NEW THINGS.... Lots of twisty twisty techniques, currently feeling quite befuddled by it all.  Enjoyed it, but oh so confused.

Off to bed amazingly early now.  Brilliant.

Well, hopefully your body remembers and it comes back out in training. You just have to stay out of your own way at that point.

Jiujutsu's funny that way.

I love that feeling - when it flows and muscle memory kicks in.  Last night was more "hang on which hand goes where?".  All part of the joy of new stuff - and I figured out what happened, our coach had holidays didn't he.... apparently that gives him time to come up with new stuff..... even the brown belts were scoobied.

Having given it serious consideration, I feel that a sticker chart may be integral to my future happiness.

Hoping that the new grading system helps with the remembering of things past.

YAY for spreading the sticker chart joy!

Morning report:  Got to the gym!  No new years resolutioners sighted.  Just the usual suspects.  Usual gym routine of warm up, then treadmill (1.5% gradient and 20 min of 1 min intervals today - was very very tempted to only do 10 min of it, v pleased I got through that and kept going, felt it in my breathing more than my legs.....), then bodyweight circuits including band assist dips and pull ups.  Managed a set of 10 (!!!!!!) assisted dips - have never managed that many in a row before.  And thats despite having my christmas belly on!  Also upped the burpees to sets of 15 cause 10 felt easy (?).

Next is lunchtime yoga (I am so very much looking forward to this)

Then rehearsal with the grouchy conductor tonight......

• Like 2

Looks like you are doing great Lou!!  Good luck with All The Things!  Lunch time yoga sounds fantastic, I think my gym only has a crazy spinning class around that time and I wouldn't want to stink up the whole 3rd floor of my building afterwards, lol.

• Like 1

Current Challenge! Updated 9/18

Battle Log

Instagram

2019 Goal - Follow all 3 main programs of Strong Lifts (complete each on time)

I'm here!  Finally!  Sorry!

1) The cooking thing.  I got Primal Cravings for an Xmas gift.  I really like it.  I've made a few different things out of it, they are all grain-free recipes, and it seems like most can be easily adapted to suit other things (like I turned a coconut curried chowder into a marinade/sauce for a pork roast).

2) We gonna get a chance to see hear dat bass?

3) Damn.  Isn't runner peer pressure the WORST?!?!!  Seriously.  Good luck.  I don't think any amount of wine would have been able to convince me to do a half marathon.  You might be able to find a legit training schedule for a half marathon though over in the Scout's guild.

But hey, do ALL the AWESOME things! :D

• Like 2

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

I had the same experience yesterday. It's my apartment complex gym and not very... exciting. Still, I noticed immediately an influx of resolute peeps on the first, and the third. Yesterday, virtually none. Maybe I just came at the wrong time. But there were only the two who are always there

Level 3 Martial Monk, True Neutral

STR: 6.5 | DEX: 6 | STA: 7 | CON: 9 | WIS: 8 | CHA: 6

My First Challenge