forkboy’s Journey to Dagobah – The Reboot (5 of 8)

forkboy

I won’t bore you with my background, there is loads of it in links in my siggy if you are so inclined.  I have had a serious problem this past two weeks falling down and now it is time to get back up.  Last challenge wasn’t my best effort, but there was still progress.  All that progress plus some has pretty much disappeared this past two weeks.  My weight is way up.  My waist is way up.  I have missed a few gym sessions.  I haven’t been running.  Today is a new day and today I reboot.

Main Quest—I plan on completing 8 continuous Challenges, this being my 5th in a row.  Once I arrive at Dagobah I will regroup and consider how best to attack my Jedi training.  I use challenge rewards as my “carrot†along the way and this challenge I have decided to add a “stick†too.  My goals have been pretty consistent over the past several challenges.  They are working, I just need to have a high compliance rate to see the results I am after.  Consistency and Accountability are where it’s at.  Here is my Journey to Dagobah summary plan:

1000px-Dragonsnake_Bog.jpg

Goal 1 = Fitness

My goal is 5 days a week of some sort of exercise.  I currently do sprints, weightlifting (full body mixing in pull and push), bodyweight work/mobility, and running.  I do three days of weight lifting and then 1-3 days of bodyweight work/mobility, running and/or sprints.  Some weeks I will get 6 days of work in, but I don’t like the added pressure of always trying to hit 6, sometimes my body is just not in the mood for 6 full days (also work can tend to screw me up at times and make 6 nearly impossible).

Goal 1 Evaluation

Daily eval is 1 point for workout and 0 points for no workouts, cumulative grading explained below.

I’ve stopped tracking the role-playing stuff, but will reward myself with points as explained below.

Goal 2 = Diet/Macro Precision

I will log all food into myfitnesspal and my nutrient goals will be 1,700 calories on most days and up to 2,000 calories on days when I lift weights, with a 170g protein minimum.  I will blend in the rest of my calories with healthy fats and clean carbs (beans and rice are okay, but no processed sugars).  I tend to try and balance CHO/FAT/PRO at 30%/30%/40%, but don’t sweat the mix, so long as my protein is okay.  (Well in reality alcohol will eat a couple % points out of CHO and FAT too.)  

I will focus on mostly lean meats, veggies and fruits again trying to avoid processed foods, junk foods, and foods high in bad fats and refined sugars.  I will use whey protein as a supplement as needed but try to get almost all the protein from lean meats where possible.

Booze is not allowed until I have hit my protein goal for the day.  I have become pretty lax on what I have allowed to be ‘okay,’ particularly in the last challenge, so success will be measured here by being within 50 calories and 3 grams of protein.  Anything outside that range will be considered a failure for the day.

Goal 2 Evaluation

Daily eval is 1 point for hitting targets and 0 points for missing, cumulative grading explained below.

Goal 3 = Sleep  EDIT Mindfulness

It has been working nicely for me, so work nights (Su-Thurs) my curfew will be 9:45pm, with 15-30 minutes of reading before lights out.  EDIT-I have some continuing education and an online traffic school that now (as of 1/10/14) render this goal likely impossible.  I am shifting to 10 minutes of a mindful walk/break or meditation break at work.

Goal 3 Evaluation

Daily eval is 1 point for hitting target 0 points for points for missing, cumulative grading explained below.

Diet/Fitness Side Quest = Outdoor fun with the kids.

One day a week of outdoor play with kids.  Hiking, throwing the football in the park, family jog, etc.

Diet/Fitness Side Quest Evaluation

Daily eval is 1 point for hitting target 0 points for points for missing, cumulative grading explained below.

Life Side Quest = Daily Chores

One load of dishes, trash check, 15 minutes of tiding up, and fold one load of laundry a day at a minimum.

Life Quest Evaluation

day215v2.jpeg

Formatting/Tracking Note:

For daily completion I will give myself 1 point for each success.  Each goal is noted G1, G2, G3, FG and LG.  Each goal has available points per day, week, and a total for the entire challenge.

G1 possible points 30, A = 27/30

G2 possible points 42, A = 38/42

G3 possible points 30, A = 27/30

FG possible points 6, A = 6/6

LG possible points 42, A = 38/42

5 As = $200 savings for a new major tattoo project.  I plan on having a major piece done over the course of the next 1-2 years.  I will go in for work once I have saved enough for each phase.  I recently started a half sleeve in anticipation of reaching my 175lb goal I had been after for a year and a half.  I found the motivation of the tattoo and the length of time required to plan, pay for, and sit for a tattoo a nice parallel to my fitness and weight goals.  I will start the planning process for my next piece by talking out some ideas with my artist.  I will post updates as we move forward.

4 As = $50 in savings for tattoo piece.  4 As is good, but $50 is not nearly fast enough for such a large piece.

For anything less than 4 As I will be adding a “stickâ€.  I will not only be checking in on my accountability here at NF but also with my mother and my wife.  I plan on doing daily updates to both groups, but weekly at a minimum.  I will be donating the $200 to a charity I have declared to them if I get less than 4 As.  I don’t want to be overtly political on NF, so I won’t disclose the fund, in case it runs counter to your political beliefs, but generally speaking I would not normally support this group.  My wife and my mother are highly politicized people and I know this donation would be a serious problem for them and a bit annoying for me.  I know a daily report to them will ensure success in this challenge for sure.  It is basically a total non-starter for me to give that money away in that fashion.  I know I will be compliant this way, there is no other option.

ffg_a-journey-to-dagobah-core-4-1.png

Initial Measurements:

Weight 183 lbs (this is up 8 lbs from where I ended last challenge so hopefully some of it will come off quickly)

BF Two Measurement Avg 24.3% (up .6% from end of last challenge, so sad)
Waist at Widest Point 35.38 inches (my old tape measure broke and this is a new one, so reboot here too).

My motivation is to meet my potential as a husband, father, and general member of my various communities.  Plus my doctor recently told me I need to lose weight.

dagobah_travel.jpg

• Like 7

Current: reorient

Old: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | a | b | battle log

Older: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

myfitnesspal | epic quest

Excellent challenge goals and I'm impressed with your points and accountability setup! Wow. 

I can commiserate. The last few weeks were less than stellar for me, too. Ugh. The dreaded holiday weight gain that erases weeks of prior progress...

I know you can, because I've seen you do it before - Now let's go kick this challenge's butt!

• Like 2

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Excellent challenge goals and I'm impressed with your points and accountability setup! Wow. 

I can commiserate. The last few weeks were less than stellar for me, too. Ugh. The dreaded holiday weight gain that erases weeks of prior progress...

I know you can, because I've seen you do it before - Now let's go kick this challenge's butt!

Thanks ShadowLion, you guys are why I keep coming back.  Let's get after it!

Great to see you back! And I know it's no consolation, but I fell off that health wagon, too, those past couple of weeks. That's for sure. :( Too many treats in combination with missed exercise due to catching a cold and just... stuff... Gah. :rolleyes: 

But we are (still) here and we are in it for the long haul! :encouragement:

Plus, I have it in writing by none other than our formidable Ash, that "we can do this". And do this we shall! :)

I'm also quite looking forward to seeing what you and your artist come up with in regards to your new tattoo project! :cheerful:

• Like 2

Hobbit 

Challenges: 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9| 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

My shiny new "battle" log - probably more of a plodding-along log, but hey, it's mine!

Great to see you back! And I know it's no consolation, but I fell off that health wagon, too, those past couple of weeks. That's for sure. :( Too many treats in combination with missed exercise due to catching a cold and just... stuff... Gah. :rolleyes:

But we are (still) here and we are in it for the long haul! :encouragement:

Plus, I have it in writing by none other than our formidable Ash, that "we can do this". And do this we shall! :)

I'm also quite looking forward to seeing what you and your artist come up with in regards to your new tattoo project! :cheerful:

Thanks Swamps!  I'm excited to see your challenge go up.  I'll be lurking.  Would love it if Ash came back around too!  

• Like 1

....................... Would love it if Ash came back around too!  

Did someone speak my name? :D

Awwwwwwwww........ :redface:  So here I am! And cheering you on!

Seriously my friend. I have been MIA, and the truth is that I am not planning to put a challenge thread up. I just don't know if I'm ready yet. But, I will keep cheering you on, because I believe in you. When it comes to the long haul you are still kicking butt because you're showing up. ;)

And I think the tattoo is an AWESOME idea and I very much look forward to seeing it completed!  :)

So, forgive me if I'm a bit more silent than usual. I am just adjusting to a season of life. But, I am ever and always your cheerleader. Hugs!

• Like 2

Level 6 Pixie Assassin Rangerish Adventurer
Current Challenge: Guess What??
Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 12th 13th 14th  Battle Log
-We can't always change the things we've done, but we can change what we do next.

-I don't have a choice. I deserve a better life and this is what I have to do to get there.
-Whatever doesn't kill me....Had better start running.

Nice looking challenge with just enough structure but not too much.   I can relate to the last couple weeks of backtracking.  It's definitely time to kick some challenge butt.   

• Like 2

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero

Level: 19 Ranger | STR 36 | DEX 29 | STA  35 | CON  43 | WIS 35 | CHA 23|

Spoiler

Epic Quest Avatar Lifting profile | D&D Character Sheet

Accountibillibuddies: Doodlies setting the world alight

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Current Challenge: Shello Finally Fitnesses (sort of) and does some other things

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Starting weight = 290.4; Current weight = 269; Total pounds lost: 21.4

LOL! Lots of love on the "last two weeks have been tricky" sentiment. I'll just throw that in for myself as well. Although, since I prudently spent the last 5 days in Florida, my outdoor exercise has skyrocketed. :)

I see you've committed to $200. Very gutsy. I'm giving myself a running total so I can appall myself gently over time. I'm hoping I have the right balance of whip and carrot here. We'll see how the challenge plays out. 

Your doctor told you to lose weight, seriously? You don't look that far off to me. Maybe he's just reinforcing you. 

Today is a new day and today I reboot.

Love this sentiment. Let's get out there and kick some tail, bro!

• Like 1

Level 9 Ranger

STR 13 | DEX 10 | STA 21 | CON 19 | WIS 20 | CHA 15

ChallengesCurrent 1 2 3 | 4 | 5 6 7 7.5 8 9 | 10 | 11 | 11.5 | 12  | 13 | 14  

Groups:  | Rangers Walk to Mordor

Nerd Fitness Academy level: 0 | Starting over

Eat clean, walk strong, age gracefully with joy. 

Did someone speak my name? :D

Awwwwwwwww........ :redface:  So here I am! And cheering you on!

Seriously my friend. I have been MIA, and the truth is that I am not planning to put a challenge thread up. I just don't know if I'm ready yet. But, I will keep cheering you on, because I believe in you. When it comes to the long haul you are still kicking butt because you're showing up. ;)

And I think the tattoo is an AWESOME idea and I very much look forward to seeing it completed!  :)

So, forgive me if I'm a bit more silent than usual. I am just adjusting to a season of life. But, I am ever and always your cheerleader. Hugs!

Yay!  Thanks lady!  I appreciate the support as always!

Nice looking challenge with just enough structure but not too much.   I can relate to the last couple weeks of backtracking.  It's definitely time to kick some challenge butt.   

Thanks for stopping by LadyShello!  This approach has worked for me in the past, here's to hoping the trend continues.

LOL! Lots of love on the "last two weeks have been tricky" sentiment. I'll just throw that in for myself as well. Although, since I prudently spent the last 5 days in Florida, my outdoor exercise has skyrocketed. :)

I see you've committed to $200. Very gutsy. I'm giving myself a running total so I can appall myself gently over time. I'm hoping I have the right balance of whip and carrot here. We'll see how the challenge plays out. 

Your doctor told you to lose weight, seriously? You don't look that far off to me. Maybe he's just reinforcing you. 

Today is a new day and today I reboot.

Love this sentiment. Let's get out there and kick some tail, bro!

I actually saw my doctor this past summer when I was 30lbs heavier.  I haven't been back.  I will go this summer and hopefully have a better response.  I plan to be 40 lbs down by then.

I must go grocery shopping and do some prep cooking today if this first week is going to start off on the right foot.

• Like 3

Kicking butt already and the starting bell hasn't even rung yet!

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

I actually saw my doctor this past summer when I was 30lbs heavier.

A deep source of satisfaction to me is when I went to my doctor and I was 22 pounds lighter. :)

I'm ready to begin the challenge tomorrow. Looking forward to Whole30. 

Cheers!

Level 9 Ranger

Dude! You're gonna roll into Dagobah like a tank.

• Like 3

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge
Previously known as: Curl Brogo, Darwins_Demon, Vincent Van Bro

2020 Respawn Battle Log || Tarly's Ten Level Nutrition Plan

My Fitness Pal Profile || NF Epic Quest Character Page || Instagram

Weight Loss Quest: Start 270 lbs., Goal 199 lbs., Current 270 lbs., Waist: ,45.0 in., Bodyfat%: 33%

You're going to rock this!   What's the tattoo of?

Thanks for stopping by!  The current half sleeve I am finishing up is a Coi Fish.  I have some Chinese characters that I had tattooed on about 20 years ago.  I didn't want a full cover up just because I thought it would not look good, so the Coi Fish takes away some of the attention of the characters.  I know I am mixing Chinese with Japanese and that is weird too, but most people are not the wiser and I think it will look pretty nice.  I will post a pic once complete (hopefully in the next couple weeks if the scheduling works out).

Great job! There's something very satisfying about being stocked up and ready for the week!

Thanks as always for the support, you're the best!

Dude! You're gonna roll into Dagobah like a tank.

Thanks for stopping by man.  You going to have a challenge up this time?  I would love to swing by....

• Like 2

So a little good and a little bad this morning.  Along with being remiss on my diet, my exercise, and everything else important I have not been tracking my weight and calories and not updating my spreadsheets either.  I went in to update this morning and hate the looks of what I have done this past few weeks.  Between the weight gain and the new waist tape measure I am going to need to reboot graphs that I started in June just to not be depressed about how badly I slipped up.  I hope a few long runs, a few heavy lifting sessions, and a few days of calorie restrictions will bring the weight back down pretty rapidly, but you never know.  The good news?  I hit curfew last night and the gym this morning, so I am 2/2 right out of the gate.  Have an awesome Monday everyone!

• Like 3

Thanks for stopping by man. You going to have a challenge up this time? I would love to swing by....

I'm over in the warriors as usual.

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge
Previously known as: Curl Brogo, Darwins_Demon, Vincent Van Bro

2020 Respawn Battle Log || Tarly's Ten Level Nutrition Plan

My Fitness Pal Profile || NF Epic Quest Character Page || Instagram

Weight Loss Quest: Start 270 lbs., Goal 199 lbs., Current 270 lbs., Waist: ,45.0 in., Bodyfat%: 33%

I hope a few long runs, a few heavy lifting sessions, and a few days of calorie restrictions will bring the weight back down pretty rapidly

It's true, you never know, but you were true on target not long ago, so I'm betting you'll see big improvements real soon. :)

• Like 1

Level 9 Ranger

Looks like a great set of challenges. Subbed!

Level 10 Superhero Trainee (Ranger)

Str 20   Dex 12   Sta 15   Con 15   Wis 13   Cha 16

My Battle Log: Getting Back on the Horse

Challenges! 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

NerFiWriCh Completed: 1!

My book! The Mercenary's Guide to Ruined Seattle.

To all you saints and sinners!

You losers and you winners!

Here's to one more day above the roses!

I hope a few long runs, a few heavy lifting sessions, and a few days of calorie restrictions will bring the weight back down pretty rapidly

It's true, you never know, but you were true on target not long ago, so I'm betting you'll see big improvements real soon. :)

'preciate it.

Looks like a great set of challenges. Subbed!

Thank you for stopping by good sir!

G1 2/2 (2/30 total)

G2 1/1 (1/42 total)

G3 2/2 (2/30 total)

FG 0/0 (0/6 total)

LG 1/1 (1/42 total)

Perfect scores so far.  Pandora decided to mess with me this morning.  I had to uninstall and re-install.  Running without music just takes a whole nother level of commitment this early in the morning, as if dawning gloves, a hat, and a head lamp weren't enough.  Damn Pandora, why do you mess with me so?  Anywho, sprints in today and as you can see I was on target with all goals yesterday.  The outdoor play with my kids will likely be a weekend thing as I work quite a bit so the week days are pretty full.

Here's to an awesome day 2!

• Like 5

You are off to a great start.  You should be erasing all the bad stuff you want to forget soon enough. 

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero

Level: 19 Ranger | STR 36 | DEX 29 | STA  35 | CON  43 | WIS 35 | CHA 23|

Spoiler

Epic Quest Avatar Lifting profile | D&D Character Sheet

Accountibillibuddies: Doodlies setting the world alight

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Current Challenge: Shello Finally Fitnesses (sort of) and does some other things

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Starting weight = 290.4; Current weight = 269; Total pounds lost: 21.4