Asalam, Ladies!!

I am new to NF, and this is my first 6-week challenge!  I am a US Navy Spouse, stationed in Japan since 2010.  I have a chronic pain disorder which has caused issues with my health and fitness (went from highly active lifestyle to limited).  

Prior to our move to Japan, I was an archer and belly dancer (participant and instructor) through a volunteer historical organization.  I tried to continue teaching belly dance, but it fell by the wayside due to lack of students.  My archery had also been dormant due to the lack of a safe location in which to shoot.  Now we are at a new base that has a potential range.  I am hoping to get back up with both my archery and dancing as I improve my health.  My belly dance style is completely historical tradition, primarily in the Persian style.

I am currently focusing on Yoga to get back into regular activity.  I do still practice various isolations at random times (like doing hip lifts while soaking in the bathtub!) and will incorporate belly dance moves while I dance to the music on the radio while cooking dinner!  Hey, every little bit helps, right?

• Like 4

Bast

Level 8 Assassin Goddess

STR: 19 DEX: 17 STA: 18 CON: 18 WIS: 18 CHA: 19

Challenges:  Current 7 5 4 3 2 1 1/2 Battle Log

PvP: Adulting & Accountability: The CutLasses Shimmy!

It's not how you start, but how you finish! ~ David Bach, Finish Rich

Finding Ways to Cope

Main Goals:  Controlled Weight Gain, Don't be a Slug and Necessities

Life Goal:  The Clock is Ticking

Assassins Guild Mini Challenges: No Power in the 'Verse Can Stop Us - Assassin's Pride

Asalam, Ladies!!

I am new to NF, and this is my first 6-week challenge!  I am a US Navy Spouse, stationed in Japan since 2010.  I have a chronic pain disorder which has caused issues with my health and fitness (went from highly active lifestyle to limited).  

Prior to our move to Japan, I was an archer and belly dancer (participant and instructor) through a volunteer historical organization.  I tried to continue teaching belly dance, but it fell by the wayside due to lack of students.  My archery had also been dormant due to the lack of a safe location in which to shoot.  Now we are at a new base that has a potential range.  I am hoping to get back up with both my archery and dancing as I improve my health.  My belly dance style is completely historical tradition, primarily in the Persian style.

I am currently focusing on Yoga to get back into regular activity.  I do still practice various isolations at random times (like doing hip lifts while soaking in the bathtub!) and will incorporate belly dance moves while I dance to the music on the radio while cooking dinner!  Hey, every little bit helps, right?

Asalam, Ladies!!

I'm assuming you're in Okinawa, but if you ever make it up to Shikoku, let me know!

I am very interested in the Persian-style dance! And historical styles! and traditional embroidery on those lovely entari (though I'm not sure if those are just Turkish, so please excuse my ignorance). I was involved in the SCA for a bit, and was building myself a Spanish Jewish persona who fled with the Expulsion to the Ottoman Empire.

anyway, welcome! 

• Like 1

Tzippi Longstockings, level 9 Ranger/Monk 

Battle Log - My Fitness Pal - Quest to Find My Epic Quest - Challenges:   #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7,

The Westerosi Fitness Tour: Dorne Stormlands Vale the Reach Westerlands The Wall 

MamaBear Kiss Off Waterbending Rounding <<Current

I'm assuming you're in Okinawa, but if you ever make it up to Shikoku, let me know!

I am very interested in the Persian-style dance! And historical styles! and traditional embroidery on those lovely entari (though I'm not sure if those are just Turkish, so please excuse my ignorance). I was involved in the SCA for a bit, and was building myself a Spanish Jewish persona who fled with the Expulsion to the Ottoman Empire.

anyway, welcome! 

Hi, Tzippi!

Thank you for the warm welcome!  No, I'm not in Okinawa...I'm stationed at NAF Atsugi in Ayase-shi, Kanagawa...much closer to Tokyo than Okinawa! :smile-new:   I have a great book on Medieval Turkish embroidery!  We were long-standing members of the SCA prior to coming to Japan, but sadly, no real SCA here...I had a Persian persona, and had learned to make very nice garb!  I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone and building up each other's confidence!

• Like 1

Bast

Level 8 Assassin Goddess

Finding Ways to Cope

Assassins Guild Mini Challenges: No Power in the 'Verse Can Stop Us - Assassin's Pride

i've been toying with the idea of taking belly dance classes, starting sometime next month probably, and this thread is only getting me more excited! i'm a complete novice, but it's something i've always been interested in and have always wanted to learn. i finally have the time and money [though mostly the money] to squeeze it in, so it's happening.

[also Bast, if i do anything cool with my bow i'll be sure to take pictures to share with you  ^_^ ]

• Like 2

level 4 elf ranger
STR | 6    DEX | 5    STA | 6    CON | 4    WIS | 4    CHA | 8

Welcome, Bast and mevre!

Thanks for the zilling video, muddydancer!

I've been a bit limited the last few days. My back pain flared up again this past Sunday and has curtailed a lot of planned fitness activity, including belly dancing. Good news, I can still zill!

I hope everyone's first quarter-challenge has gone well. Any ideas for group minis, given the wide variations in skill levels?

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Welcome, Bast and mevre!

Thanks for the zilling video, muddydancer!

I've been a bit limited the last few days. My back pain flared up again this past Sunday and has curtailed a lot of planned fitness activity, including belly dancing. Good news, I can still zill!

I hope everyone's first quarter-challenge has gone well. Any ideas for group minis, given the wide variations in skill levels?

Sorry to hear that, ShadowLion;

What is it about misery loving company?!?  My back/hip flared up yesterday and isn't any better today!!  Well, I can't do my regularly schedule workout, so I'm getting creative!!  A mini from the CutLasses inspired me to break out my bow (as in Archery) and do drawing exercises...I figured it'll help me get back to good techniques and strength when I can shoot again...and added the challenge of reversing my draw (switching from right-handed to left).  MAN!!  I didn't realize I was SOOOO outta shape!!  But hey, Baby Steps can still take you a great distance, right?

I hope your back feels better soon, but in the mean time, don't be afraid to put your great imagination to work and get creative!

• Like 2

Bast

Level 8 Assassin Goddess

Finding Ways to Cope

Hey everybody! What do you call a belly dancer with a sword?

. . .

. . .

. . .

A veiled threat.

sword-502x690.jpg

• Like 2

Battle Log - My Fitness Pal - Quest to Find My Epic Quest - Challenges:   #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7,

The Westerosi Fitness Tour: Dorne Stormlands Vale the Reach Westerlands The Wall 

I guess some things that would work at any level would be:

- post one personal goal (can be something very small or something bigger that you are working toward)

- post a belly-dancing related picture/link/video that inspires you

- try one new move/routine/video/rhythm (easy for me...everything is now)

- post one link or video that you think other people in the group might learn from

Here's a picture I like! I would love to get some more flexibility in my back....and fire just makes it even cooler

tumblr_m6yb2ncrTE1qguywgo1_500.jpg

• Like 1

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

I guess some things that would work at any level would be:

- post one personal goal (can be something very small or something bigger that you are working toward)

- post a belly-dancing related picture/link/video that inspires you

- try one new move/routine/video/rhythm (easy for me...everything is now)

- post one link or video that you think other people in the group might learn from

Personal goal: to get my reverse belly rolls to look as good as my regular belly rolls.

Inspiration: some of the earliest belly dance caught on film - Little Egypt, 1896

New move - layering arms on top of belly rolls.

I'll look for the perfect educational link - that one to vertical figure 8s is one of my favorites for everyday practice.

Hey everybody! What do you call a belly dancer with a sword?

. . .

. . .

. . .

A veiled threat.

sword-502x690.jpg

Awesome picture....terrible joke :P;)

• Like 1

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for...

Current: RES: CUTE 2021 - cute is consistent

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

@Tzippi - I liked the pic AND the joke! :D Nice goals and video!

@Xena - Very cool back bend with fire and greatnmini ideas!

My dancing is a bit curtailed, but I'm thinking I'll make something for a costume. That would be fun and and a good creative outlet, plus inspiration & motivation. And go searching for some video...

• Like 3

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Love that you are going to make a costume! I kind of got dressed up a little when I tried the video (tied a scarf around my hips and left my midriff bare so I could kind of see what was going on there). It made it feel more fun.

514_230x230_NoPeel.jpg?region=name:Front

I always dress up a little to dance! Sometimes I even put on a little eyeliner, just to feel pretty.

tumblr_msao20lyFI1sh28k6o1_400.gif

Pretty badass.

• Like 2

Lots of bellydancing/yoga multi-tasking today. Sat in half-lotus while watching some of the instructional videos. Then did the back-bending yoga sequence on Serpentine. I think for straight-up backbending practice, I have another video I like a bit better, but this one is nice too, partly because it is fairly short. Then I worked for about 15 minutes on some of the isolation drills. The movements all feel pretty foreign...wondering if I'll be feeling it tomorrow :-)

• Like 2

Oct/Nov 2016

Nice work on the back bending and isolations, Xena!

You got me inspired now that my back is better - did some figure eights to ease my way back in! Felt soooo good!

• Like 2

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Lots of bellydancing/yoga multi-tasking today. Sat in half-lotus while watching some of the instructional videos. Then did the back-bending yoga sequence on Serpentine. I think for straight-up backbending practice, I have another video I like a bit better, but this one is nice too, partly because it is fairly short. Then I worked for about 15 minutes on some of the isolation drills. The movements all feel pretty foreign...wondering if I'll be feeling it tomorrow :-)

It will feel weird for a while until muscle memory kicks in. 

Whoo hoo! Went all in and ordered some cheepio zils and hip scarves to get sent here. I found myself snapping some zil patterns the other day, and wishing I could practice properly, so I gave in.

And a question for everyone - I find some movies/tv/music encourage me to eat better, or exercise, or dance more. Sometimes they're the same, but often I watch/listen to one thing to inspire me to cook healthy, another to spur me to a workout, and another to bare the midriff and let the hips go.

So what is your belly dance inspirations? I find that, even though Xena doesn't belly dance very much (as portrayed by Lucy Lawless, not our doughty yogini inspiration), the world of Xena inspires me to a mishmash of ancient and exotic music, costume, and movement, just like tribal belly dance!

xdancecb.jpg

• Like 2

Tzippi...I was inspired by your idea of wearing eyeliner. I did it last time. Bellydancing is much more feminine than running!

Not to make it all about Xena, but I've been inspired for a few months by a picture DarkRaider posted on my thread last challenge. I want to be realistic about my body and I know images can be Photoshop-ed. but damn, I want abs like that!

I usually also cut out a couple pictures from magazines or catalogs (Athleta, etc)...generally beautiful athletic pictures of things I would like to be able to do. Right now, I have a picture taped to my bathroom wall of a woman doing wheel/bridge. It inspires me...after a couple months I stop noticing the pictures, so I switch them up.

Oh...and one more non-bellydancing-related inspiration. If you ever find yourself in Philadelphia, absolutely run up the stairs of the art museum (The "Rocky" steps). I think it's a little-known site of concentrated joy. Lots of people run up the stairs - all ages, nationalities and fitness levels. They all know it's silly but it's harmless and uplifting.

xenayall.jpg

• Like 2

Oct/Nov 2016

Tzippi...I was inspired by your idea of wearing eyeliner. I did it last time. Bellydancing is much more feminine than running!

Not to make it all about Xena, but I've been inspired for a few months by a picture DarkRaider posted on my thread last challenge. I want to be realistic about my body and I know images can be Photoshop-ed. but damn, I want abs like that!

I usually also cut out a couple pictures from magazines or catalogs (Athleta, etc)...generally beautiful athletic pictures of things I would like to be able to do. Right now, I have a picture taped to my bathroom wall of a woman doing wheel/bridge. It inspires me...after a couple months I stop noticing the pictures, so I switch them up.

Oh...and one more non-bellydancing-related inspiration. If you ever find yourself in Philadelphia, absolutely run up the stairs of the art museum (The "Rocky" steps). I think it's a little-known site of concentrated joy. Lots of people run up the stairs - all ages, nationalities and fitness levels. They all know it's silly but it's harmless and uplifting.

Funny, apart from seeing a few historical sites, I never really had any interest in visiting Philadelphia, but now I kinda do!

The eyeliner is my dance equivalent of a "hard hat". After I've put on sexy eyeliner, it's really hard to throw on some sweatpants and watch TV.

• Like 2

I'm going to have to jump on the eyeliner bandwagon. My usual inspiration is to tie on a hip scarf and, sometimes, put on a piece jewelry.

@Tzippi - I like your idea of the "hard hat!"

That might make a good mini challenge - "Get your gear on!"

• Like 1

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

So excited! I got the room at the community center here for the evening of February 12, and I have at least . . .seven students coming to the first meeting of ç ‚æ¼ ã®èŠ± (Sabaku no Hana - Desert Flowers)!

I decided I really wanted to dance with other women again, and the only way to do that is start a group and teach the basics!

I was worried the room wouldn't work out. Room is reserved.

I was worried no one will come, or worse - one person would come. The room I reserved is almost full.

Now I'm worried because I have never taught a movement or dance class before. Not really. I have taught a few individuals a few basic things, and I can teach English or Media studies at people all day, but this will be a new first.

Time for the blackest eyeliner, the biggest smile, and a pedicure - I can bluster my way through anything with attitude and pretty toes*!

*I never actually have pretty toes. I have Morton's toe, so my "big toe" is shorter than my second and third toes, which are really long and skinny, and curve over the end of open-toed shoes like vulture claws. I am extremely self-conscious about it, so I tell everyone about it and flaunt it all the time. My only defense is a good offensive cheerfulness.

giphy.gif

• Like 3

Fantastic news on your class, Tzippi! What a terrific solution to wanting to have others to dance with.

When I went from teaching guitar to training people how to fight fires and deal with medical emergencies, I was amazed at how much teaching skills in one area transferred to another. Skills you've already built - patience, clear communication, and enthusiasm for your subject - will let you get your message across.

You'll do great and everyone will have fun!

• Like 1

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

@Tzippi - If I'm figuring it right, it's the morning of the 12th where you are and you'll be teaching your class this evening. Good luck and have fun!

• Like 1

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir