Tzippi Longstockings Goes on Board

Fantastic mix of fun and exercise.  Your arms will be stronger too.

Current Challenge: (Feb-Mar 21) Step by Step

My Epic Quest Character Sheet  *** Old Challenges and Links hidden below

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

Last night my knee was feeling thick again. Not painful, just like it was swollen and couldn:t straighten all the way. I blame the run Wednesday night, Taiko, and then wearing my new Doc Martens all day yesterday to help break them in (I walked in them like a mecha). I did the next class of Datura Online:s *Start it Up* anyway because I am so excited to be belly dancing again. It was a lot of isolations, so all the upper body stuff and the belly rolls didn:t effect my knee at all, and the shimmies and hip circles only slightly. I was just sad that I couldn:t try the Nauli breathing that is supposed to help belly isolations very well - I was supposed to be kneeling.

Anyway, I slept very well, but feel like I have catching up to do.

Husband is still sick. I:m torn between wanting to take care of him and being really tired of him being sick. 

But wonderful news! I have found several Japanese women who are interested in the idea of a belly dance group, so I:m getting a room at the Community center! The plan is to teach the very basics, and then have people to dance with! On the room application, I had to have a name, so I chose ç ‚æ¼ ã®èŠ±, Sabaku no Hana, which means "Desert Flowers". I have about three students/dancers so far, and I'm hoping for about three more.

Now I'm doing stealth belly rolls and reverse belly rolls while sitting at my desk. Better than crunches, and stealthier than planks!

businessninja.png?1345598944?1352114438

(office ninja!)

• Like 6

Tzippi Longstockings, level 9 Ranger/Monk 

Battle Log - My Fitness Pal - Quest to Find My Epic Quest - Challenges:   #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7,

The Westerosi Fitness Tour: Dorne Stormlands Vale the Reach Westerlands The Wall 

MamaBear Kiss Off Waterbending Rounding <<Current

Desert flowers sounds wonderful!! Rock on for getting something awesome started!

I hope your husband gets better soon, when mine is sick I feel like I'm operating at 50% because I need to be in care mode... which is ok for a little bit but extended, ugghhh, let me be me again!

• Like 1

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 56 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

On the room application, I had to have a name, so I chose ç ‚æ¼ ã®èŠ±, Sabaku no Hana, which means "Desert Flowers". I have about three students/dancers so far, and I'm hoping for about three more.

This sounds like a great experience in the making.  What a good idea!

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

Confession time. https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/kciovZOrsM6MakiDECrCuFp7Fk4A9cBdQvi9nBl6HWW21pMwyaLXgVtJDuhNZbwTKNBW0pxzlyL-OC7dqyuvkP2f=w278-h400-nc

I haven't been doing great, especially during week 2. I didn't study once for longer than ten minutes, didn't do any chores, and didn't work around my knee as well as I could have. Yes, I was being careful, and yes, my husband is sick, but I failed utterly at pushing through.

I did eat greens every day, and packed a Bento every day but one. And while things like 'bodyweight workouts'( which I could have easily altered to not hurt my knee) and 'runs' were noticeably absent, I went got a few long walks around town (avoiding hills) and gave continued with the Datura online belly dancing classes. Zoe Jakes' belly rolls class is a hoot- I strongly suggest anyone, dancer or not, to try it.

http://daturaonline.com/belly-dance-flow-fundamentals-belly-rolls

It will only cost a few bucks, and you'll learn ab work that you can do at your desk!

Also, "cutting down on sugar"? What kind of a beast is that?

• Like 3

Battle Log - My Fitness Pal - Quest to Find My Epic Quest - Challenges:   #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7,

The Westerosi Fitness Tour: Dorne Stormlands Vale the Reach Westerlands The Wall 

There will totally always be more weeks.  As long as you didn't landslide into eating pizza every day and watching 12 hours of [insert your favorite netflix tv series here] you're still fighting the good fight. :)

• Like 3

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...

oy. confessions are the worst. whenever i have to fess up to something here on NF, there's always a little nagging voice in the back of my mind that says "they'll never know you messed up if you don't post about it, and then you can act like it never happened." bad nagging voice! don't you know this place is for accountability??
anyway, good for you for being honest with yourself - it's the first step to doing better next time. and like shaarawy said, your progress isn't derailed, and you're gonna own week 3.
yay week 3! let's do it!!!

• Like 3

level 4 elf ranger
STR | 6    DEX | 5    STA | 6    CON | 4    WIS | 4    CHA | 8

There will totally always be more weeks.  As long as you didn't landslide into eating pizza every day and watching 12 hours of [insert your favorite netflix tv series here] you're still fighting the good fight. :)

HOW DID YOU KNOW. >____< Not the pizza, but my kids and then my husband got sick last week while I was still recovering and we pretty much watched Pokemon:Indigo League/Orange League every day... a lot. Curse you Netflix!!!

A summary is great for wrapping things up and moving on. You've made some great habit builders like bento making, and you just need to keep at the gamifying chores to inspire more willpower. 

Plus, there was no positives list, like TAIKO! Keep in mind you still stayed plenty active, plus planning for this new class you're going to do! 

Welcome to Week 3!

Edit: I started checking out Japanese children's books from our library system and reading them to my kids. Ouch. My reading out loud speed is so slow! Ganbatte! You can do it!

• Like 1

Brain-Building Assassin, a.k.a Radical Domestic Jill-of-All-Trades

Battle Log | Challenges: Current |18 |17 |16 |15 |14 |13 |12 |11 |109 | 87 | 65432 | 1  

Isaiah 40:30-31

eh, who cares about week 2 anyway? I'm pretty sure week 3 is where champions are made. And I bet you have a kickass plan for week 3.

Injuries are tricky, but I think you are right that you can modify around the knee injury and still meet your fitness goals.

As far as week 2...just Shake it off!

5xtDarAZdkwslgzegYU.gif

It sounds to me like you DID work around injury and illness where you could with the walks and belly dancing. Anyone could say, "I could have done more." I am with Xena, shake it off and make an epic recovery in week three.

GIF-EPIC-Recovery.gif

Thank you for this - it's good to make big goals, but I sometimes need to take my own advice and accept that I am moving, and making good choices, even if its not every time.

Pizza pretty much sucks here. Well, the stuff at the Italian restaurants are pretty good, but the stuff you can get delivered is bland and unpleasant, and $35 for a medium. I've been watching Friends with my husband and drooling over the pizza they order every few episodes. 

oy. confessions are the worst. whenever i have to fess up to something here on NF, there's always a little nagging voice in the back of my mind that says "they'll never know you messed up if you don't post about it, and then you can act like it never happened." bad nagging voice! don't you know this place is for accountability??

anyway, good for you for being honest with yourself - it's the first step to doing better next time. and like shaarawy said, your progress isn't derailed, and you're gonna own week 3.

yay week 3! let's do it!!!

You do a great job with accountability, and I'm trying to, too! Let's go, week 3!

HOW DID YOU KNOW. >____< Not the pizza, but my kids and then my husband got sick last week while I was still recovering and we pretty much watched Pokemon:Indigo League/Orange League every day... a lot. Curse you Netflix!!!

A summary is great for wrapping things up and moving on. You've made some great habit builders like bento making, and you just need to keep at the gamifying chores to inspire more willpower. 

Plus, there was no positives list, like TAIKO! Keep in mind you still stayed plenty active, plus planning for this new class you're going to do! 

Welcome to Week 3!

Edit: I started checking out Japanese children's books from our library system and reading them to my kids. Ouch. My reading out loud speed is so slow! Ganbatte! You can do it!

Good job on the reading aloud! How do your kids like the Japanese story time?

Sounds like you made the best out of a not so great week :) keep your head high and kick butt this week! That's so exciting about the belly dancing class! Hope you're knee is improving!

Sent by TARDIS delivery service. Apologies for typos caused by interactions with the time vortex.

Knee is better, I think. I am still being careful with it, but it seems like it's almost 100%. I can't hyperextend it, the way I can my other knee, but I shouldn't do that anyway, really. 

WEEK TWO RETROSPECTIVE

Running: I managed a very slow run on Wednesday (OTHAFA), but decided afterwards to walk instead. I got a lot of walking in, but did a proper hour-long walk on Saturday. B

Bodyweight: Danced three times, plus a Taiko practice, during which my arms were burning like crazy. A

Stretching: Meant to be 6/week, I only got three, not counting the several stretch/cooldowns with Datura. Those are short-ish, though, so I’ll call it a B

Packing bento: Every day except Thursday! It was mostly my super-proteiny curry with brown rice and a salad. Maybe some mikans.  A

Greens every day: I got 6/7 days, and wrote in one day's grace, so A!

Study: None whatsoever..

Dessert . . .once again, pretty horrible. F

Chores: None whatsoever, but I have some more plans for organization brewing. F

• Like 4

Exercise and meals seem to be going well.  I agree that it is hard to change so many things at once.  You are doing better each week. 

• Like 2

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

The thought of a $35 bland pizza makes my soul cry.  BUT, easy to resist I guess??

YES for fitness A's and B's!!!

• Like 1

All A's and B's on the fitness stuff! The life goals maybe didn't happen so much, but then, you have A LOT of goals. Maybe the willpower is stretched a little thin.

The willpower note is what I was thinking too. You are doing great for how much you have going on. Diet and sugar are hurdles that take a lot of willpower to consistently change.

And yes, my children like Japanese books a lot, especially my son. I feel so out of practice and think I sound horrible but he loves Pooh-san and has asked for it every night (one of the books we have). My poor husband doesn't know Japanese, so I'm the only one that can read it to them!

Glad to hear the knee keeps getting better!

- Sent from my magic Navi-powered device!

Brain-Building Assassin, a.k.a Radical Domestic Jill-of-All-Trades

Battle Log | Challenges: Current |18 |17 |16 |15 |14 |13 |12 |11 |109 | 87 | 65432 | 1  

Isaiah 40:30-31

Okay, weekend went okay, if a bit icky-feeling. Saturday, I went for a run, but decided to do a longer brisk walk because I'm terrified that I'll mess up my knee forever. Today I stretched, and finally managed to take care of the giant pile of boxes! 8 points, sucka!

Food has also been good, except for the sweets thing.

Weird nausea started last night and continued all through today.

Sorry you aren't feeling well. Hopefully better soon...and if I remember correctly, it should be your husband's turn to take care of you a little!

His chest is getting better, but now he has something in his head and sinuses? I think its allergies, but he's sure it's another cold or something. He's going to go to the hospital today.

WEEK THREE RETROSPECTIVE Sunday the 18th-Saturday the 24th

Running: Went for two long walks this week – on Sunday and then again on Saturday. Each ended up being about 30 minutes of brisk walking, with a small amount of moseying. I’m really looking  forward to running again. Husband got me a knee brace, but I’m concerned about hitting it too hard with the brace on and pushing back my recovery. B

Bodyweight: Datura Belly dance on Tuesday, then two Neila Reys – 4x Xena (except for the jumps, because I have downstairs neighbors. Substituted belly roll drills for sit-ups. 2x Thor as well, ditto on sit-up subs. A

Stretching:  Four times, though I finally gpt back to before-bed stretching, which I need to do. I think my husband has finally realized how much it helps, so he’s helping to remind me to do it. C

Packing bento: Every day! It was mostly my super-proteiny curry with brown rice and a salad. Apple or  some mikans.  A

Greens every day: I got 6/7 days, and wrote in one day's grace, so A!

Study: Monday I got in two sessions, but I count by day, so it only counts as one. Then two more over the week. 3/5 isn’t good, but much better than nothing! C

Dessert . . .once again, pretty horrible. F

Chores: Took care of the giant cardboard pile that I've been putting off for months! Also swept the hall and took out all the trash, plus laundry.A!

• Like 2

Today I stretched, and finally managed to take care of the giant pile of boxes! 8 points, sucka!

So the mini-game has taught me something. I've been avoiding breaking down those boxes and getting rid of them for . . . well, months. Most of them have nbeen there at least one month. The funny thing? This 8-point hassle turned out to be so easy. I may not have gotten it all perfectly taken care of (the Japanese trash and recycling system is really confusing), but I got it sorted and out of my house. And it wasn't really 8-points worth of hard. However, I'm still taking them, because this is such a huge psychological drain taken away! I got it all out, and I feel so much better about my home, myself, everything! 

gtjfw.jpg

So anyway, the moral of the story is: if something is getting put off all the time, make it the eight-point monster on your list. You will covet those points so bad, you'll do it.

• Like 4