Tzippi Longstockings Goes on Board

Okay, weekend went okay, if a bit icky-feeling. Saturday, I went for a run, but decided to do a longer brisk walk because I'm terrified that I'll mess up my knee forever.

same here! augh, it's so scary! if i feel so much as a sight twinge in my knee after a run, i freak out. why is medical science still so bad at making replacement knees?? c'mon guys, get on that.

you might have heard this before, and i'm not 100% sure it's true, but my x-country runner friend said that runners mess their knees up when their quads become disproportionally powerful compared to the hamstrings. so maybe try some hamstring exercises if you're not already.

super good job getting those boxes out! glad to see positive changes upon catching up on your thread.  : ]

• Like 1

level 4 elf ranger
STR | 6    DEX | 5    STA | 6    CON | 4    WIS | 4    CHA | 8

same here! augh, it's so scary! if i feel so much as a sight twinge in my knee after a run, i freak out. why is medical science still so bad at making replacement knees?? c'mon guys, get on that.

you might have heard this before, and i'm not 100% sure it's true, but my x-country runner friend said that runners mess their knees up when their quads become disproportionally powerful compared to the hamstrings. so maybe try some hamstring exercises if you're not already.

super good job getting those boxes out! glad to see positive changes upon catching up on your thread.  : ]

Hamstring work is something I can do. I love things like this - just something I can try. And yeah, I have grown to love running, ro I really don't want to make it so I can't run in the future! Arrgh. Balancing "being brave and fearless" with "being smart and taking care of myself". I've always been a bit cowardly about maybe getting hurt, so I want to be brave, but not mess myself up.

Be fearless, but not stupid. It's not the easiest balance for me.

7BUakbI.png

Can you tell I just started reading Dune? I feel like the worst fantasy-geek ever for having waited this long.

• Like 2

Tzippi Longstockings, level 9 Ranger/Monk 

Battle Log - My Fitness Pal - Quest to Find My Epic Quest - Challenges:   #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7,

The Westerosi Fitness Tour: Dorne Stormlands Vale the Reach Westerlands The Wall 

MamaBear Kiss Off Waterbending Rounding <<Current

Can you tell I just started reading Dune? I feel like the worst fantasy-geek ever for having waited this long.

Dune is great. Some of the sequels are good as well, depending on personal tastes.  But the novel Dune itself still holds up well I think.

Current Challenge: (Feb-Mar 21) Step by Step

My Epic Quest Character Sheet  *** Old Challenges and Links hidden below

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

Dune is great. Some of the sequels are good as well, depending on personal tastes.  But the novel Dune itself still holds up well I think.

I started it a couple times before, but just kind of got bored and put it away. This time, I:m really excited.

Okay, So Week Four. 

where-does-time-go.png

I kind of can:t believe that. anyway, Monday night was pretty good - I had overnight oats and tea for breakfast, studied at work, and had my bento lunch (super-protein curry[plain Japanese-style vegetarian curry with split peas and chickpeas and a bit of fried tofu] and a brown-rice-and-quinoa onigiri). despite wishing to, I did not stop on the way home for snacks. My husband had run me a bath and was rearranging the kitchen!

I did a quick thing from Datura online - warm up, lower body conditioning yoga (lots of balancing and lunges), then a cool down and stretch. Then into the tub to read and relax! I also did a nice long stretching and relaxation thing before bed, to letgo of all the tension from playing the Telltale Games "Game of thrones". It is cool, but (true to the source material), you ave to make bad decisions quickly, and not making the decision between three or four bad choices is a choice in itself! so Some chill-out time was needed before bed. I really liked the TTG "Wolf among Us", which was based on Bill Wilingham's Fables graphic novel series, maybe even better, because the comic/noir style art was so good. 

The-Wolf-Among-Us-Ichabod-Crane.jpg

Snow White, Sheriff Bigby (the big bad) Wolf, and Ichabod Crane.

So last night pretty much rocked. Tonight I have tea ceremony club, and plan to do a few reps of a Neila Rey after, then wash my hair.

• Like 3

Battle Log - My Fitness Pal - Quest to Find My Epic Quest - Challenges:   #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7,

The Westerosi Fitness Tour: Dorne Stormlands Vale the Reach Westerlands The Wall 

ChadÅ and four reps of the Shieldmaiden workout (http://neilarey.com/workouts/shieldmaiden-workout.html)
down, dinner and stretching and washing my hair left to go!

dinner was pepper-broiled fish, a tiny helping of spaghetti with pesto, and a big pile of cabbage/sweet potato stir-fry. And stretching was amazing. As I was grabbing my toes in a forward bend, my husband came and helped with a very gentle pressure on my back, to help me breathe a little deeper. i got to the point where, sitting on the floor with my feet relatively flexed, I had my hands completely draped over my feet, with my longest toes nestled into the bend in my wrists! It took about 30 seconds (counted by my breaths, which average longer than a second), and then I stayed there for 30 seconds. it felt wonderful! Gomu-gomu no bou!

• Like 2

I don't know what's up with me right now - I feel well (not sick or anything), but I've been exhausted for two days straight! I've been getting sleep, if not quite as much as I'd like. I've been eating, reasonably well, and I have energy enough to work out, go to work, do activities, etc, but I feel like I want a nap constantly.

Yesterday it was bad enough that when I got home, I tried to spend my spare two hours between arriving home and going to Taiko practice in a nap-shower-eat combo. But I couldn't sleep. I'm usually not a great napper, but even I can usually drop off in forty-five minutes. My mind wasn't exactly racing (no more than usual), and I was so tired, yet I could not nap.

So I gave up, took a shower, did a little lesson planning, and watched some Supernatural before Taiko.

Taiko was super-fun, and my husband made it for the first time! He's doing really well - he has the basic base rhythm, and has the proper horse-stance bounce on the one and three beats down. After, we got food and went home. Maybe it was from eating too late, but I fell asleep hard, but still woke up so tired this morning!  I don't know. I guess I'm pleased it's Thursday, and almost the weekend, and I don't have any clubs or things planned for tonight, but I'd like to get a few more things done this week. This whole challenge is flying by!

Anyway, no workout yesterday (apart from the 20-minute walk to the station, ten-minute bike ride to the castle, ten-minute ride back, and taiko itself.) I have been eating well, though, and studying quite a bit. I am starting to catch more words when I listen to people speak Japanese, though I still don't understand most of it, and don't produce very well. I have two parties to go to this weekend, but plan to go for a long walk (maybe run? my knee feels 100% better 89% of the time, and I'm chomping at the bit here) and try to get a few more chores knocked off the big list. 

If I can keep my head up . . . I dunno.

• Like 2

Got a room at the Community Center for Sabaku no Hana!

. .  .

And now I'm starting to be nervous. I am a teacher by trade, but I have never taught a dance class before. 

Nervcited!

giphy.gif

• Like 3

I would get really tired sometimes, and later find out that I was fighting off an illness that was just barely sub-symptomatic.

I think that your dance class will be fabulous.

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

Okay, so I have kept up with at least some basic exercise most days, and greens. Stretching has been spotty, but I'm really starting to see the difference, especially in my hamstrings. 

Sunday I went for my first run since my injury, and managed an entire hour! I took an extra-long warm up (10 minutes of brisk walk, not five), and took the shallower hills, skipping the steeper slopes for now. I'm glad it went well, because I will be running at one of my schools this week, in the "Marason". Apparently Japanese schools use the term "Marathon" for any endurance run- the one I will be doing this Thursday is less than 6k, so I should be fine. 

Anyway, sorry to be so rarely here - I have been a bit slacky this time, and am trying really hard not to catch all the crap my husband has. He's going back to the hospital today, since he's still having trouble hacking up stuff, and getting congestion headaches.

In completely unrelated news, I taught a special "Superbowl Sunday" lesson yesterday, including the phrase "the whole nine yards" and a trivia game played on a chalkboard football field (answer a question, move five yards. Your team gets two in a row? fifteen.

• Like 4

Okay, starting week five (well, I started yesterday), and this week and next I mean to really concentrate on not getting sick, getting back into running, and getting more chores done.

I will achieve this by:

Buying gloves to protect my pretty turquoise nails from housework

Getting back to "short rangings", even when it's cold by doing a warmup in my apartment first.

Avoiding running injuries by taking it slow, and making sure not to cheat my after-run stretch time.

Staying hydrated

• Like 3

I don't know how I missed so many posts! Glad your knee is feeling sort-of better and that you've been stretching. Loved that your husband helped you a bit with the forward bend. Isn't it amazing what a gentle assist can do? I guess probably some life lesson in that...

Your fish dinner sounded fabulous. And your cardboard box monster story inspired me...I might make the "dreaded tasks" into some kind of game next challenge.

Very excited for your class. Pretty positive that it's going to be awesome! Will you have to teach in Japanese, or will the students know English?

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

I don't know how I missed so many posts! Glad your knee is feeling sort-of better and that you've been stretching. Loved that your husband helped you a bit with the forward bend. Isn't it amazing what a gentle assist can do? I guess probably some life lesson in that...

Your fish dinner sounded fabulous. And your cardboard box monster story inspired me...I might make the "dreaded tasks" into some kind of game next challenge.

Very excited for your class. Pretty positive that it's going to be awesome! Will you have to teach in Japanese, or will the students know English?

I don't know enough Japanese to teach in Japanese. Hand, foot, leg, right, left, front, walk, are about all the relevant words I know, and I don't know the grammar to "command". I advertised "simple English", and luckily about half my students are Japanese teachers of English, so if someone gets really stuck, there should be some people to help out. I also may do an alternate "Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes" to start off class, just as a quick review of body parts. 

As far as the chores go, I still have many to get this and next week, but I will do them! I want that skirt and choli set . . .

• Like 2

WEEK FOUR RETROSPECTIVE

Running: I got a long walk in, and a long ride, and my first proper run in quite a while! A

Bodyweight: One Neila Rey (4x Shieldmaiden), 2 Datura workouts, with lots of isolations. B

Stretching: I did six, but several were long after the workout they were meant to accompany. That said, nighttime stretches are back, and showing some real progress!

Packing bento: 4/5. I have a lot of days teaching at other schools, and haven't done some big cooking. A

Greens every day: 6/7 makes an A.

Study: 4/5.B

Dessert : 

h5j42.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Maker

Chores: Two shelves rearranged in the kitchen. Not too bad, but I really need to get on a few of those "big cleaning" projects, like the tub and sink. C

• Like 5

I would get really tired sometimes, and later find out that I was fighting off an illness that was just barely sub-symptomatic.

I think that your dance class will be fabulous.

Sure you're not Erick the Prophetic?

. . . stupid sore throat . . .

Sure you're not Erick the Prophetic?

I also prophesied that your class will be fabulous.  So there's that.

You are in the middle of what I affectionately call, "Life".  Lots of little hassles, lots of fun plans, lots of opportunities for success and failure.  What a terrifically memorable time.

• Like 4

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Life, blech.  Seriously.  Sometimes I daydream about if I had enough money to not work, and just do fitness all day, and keep the house clean, and cook delicious healthy meals every night.............

*cough* Yeah, life.  BOO.

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 56 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

Ugh. Sorry I've been gone a few days- rest assured I spent them in bed, drinking tea and water and hacking my lungs out.

I'm scrapping my exercise challenges for this week, and concentrating on getting well. My mini-challenge I've set for myself is makimg myself eat, and trying to time medicines, etc for maximum sleep. I took three days of sick leave, and really want to go back tomorrow.

I've never had this before, but I think a combination of no sleep the night before, and only broken sleep the two nights before, plus all the drugs they gave me, put me into a punchy, almost manic state. I'm usually Avery verbal thinker, but my mind was throwing up images so fast my words couldn't keep up. Anyway, my husband is taking care of me, and I have nothing to do today but heal, so here's hoping.

• Like 3

Get better!  If you haven't got your health, you haven't got anything.

• Like 1

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Get better!  If you haven't got your health, you haven't got anything.

Wellness is the primary goal of fitness. Take your time and get better!

Thanks for all the support! It has been a rough five days, but I am back at work today. I'm way quieter than usual (Generally, I'm a Genki Girl), and a little delicate feeling, but I am here. I spent Wednesday-Monday at home (except for two trips to the hospital to get medicine), resting, drinking a lot of tea, and trying to stay warm and calm. My throat is still pretty bad from having post-nasal drip and shreddingly painful coughing over those days, but I'm drinking a ton of water and tea and trying to get my energy and appetite back.

Unfortunately, my goal to eat well didn\t go great - I was too tired to cook, and felt so bad keeping my husband up all night with coughing to put the stress on him to learn to cook something when he got home (he has a small repertoire, but mostly of stuff that is harder to get here, or relatively "instant" food.) Also, my mouth tastes bad, so everything tastes bad. So I have been undereating a lot, and I'm feeling it now. So my goals for today are:

Get through today at work

Go home, make a pot of curry or soup.

Make a cooker's worth of rice/quinoa

Go to bed crazy early.

I'm not adding in exercise yet, because frankly, the five-minute walk to school and two flights of stairs wore me out. However, I am going to do a little lesson planning for my belly dance class Thursday night - I'm pretty sure we'll"

5 minutes - Welcome

5 minutes - Warm-up

5 minutes dynamic stretching and intro to dance posture, leading into

10 minutes hip slides

10 minutes hip bumps

10 minutes taqsim (vertical figure eights, caused by combining bumps and slides)

Water break, Posture check!

5 minutes - Shoulder push, left and right drills

10 minutes - Shoulder shimmy.

10 minutes - simple combination with shimmies and bumps, drill.

5 minutes - belly contractions

5 minutes - beginning belly rolls

5 minutes - Stretch and cool down - 

• Like 2

"Go to bed crazy early" is almost always a great idea.

And that lesson plan seems pretty comprehensive for a beginner class.  Plenty to keep them interested.

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Genki girl!

249e3b93fa4ba4e1afb16f15fe1cd2e4.jpg

Glad to hear you are hanging in there!  Getting sidelined by sickness makes me sad and anxious to get better, so I can keep a normal routine going.

Keep us posted on the class, sounds fun!! 

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 56 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."