amberlina's first challenge

amberlina

Hi y'all!

I've come across nerdfitness posts before, but this is my first time creating an account/actively engaging in the community. 

tumblr_lmv3lr64901qf4cox.gif

Female, 5'4", around 150 lbs. I've always been athletic, but carried a little extra weight. I'm a healthy eater but with a huge tendency to stress-binge/ emotional eat. I consistently do yoga and am very comfortable in that environment, but I've always been interested in and intimidated by lifting. I'm trying not to overplay the "new years resolution" part of starting this right now, because I feel like it puts too much pressure. Trying to focus more on the short-term (a 6-week challenge sounds like a great idea).

Goals.

Main Quest. Develop consistency in diet and training.

#1: Curb emotional eating/binging. As I said, I've always been eaten healthfully, and I know what to eat, but I'm hugely influenced by stress and emotion when it comes to binging / eating in a way I know I shouldn't. I know exactly what it feels like when its happening. So with this goal, my plan is to use the Hard Hat Challenge approach. Days when I've avoided a binge and eaten healthfully get an X. Days when I've succumbed get no X. A little vague, but only for this challenge. My hope is that I'll figure some things out, and then make more concrete goals next time :)

#2: Crossfit. I've always been hugely interested in heavy lifting, but seriously intimidated by the gym. Also scared of hurting myself training without correct form. To counter this, I've joined CrossFit. I went to a trial class last week, and the beginner foundations class today. I don't want to have performance goals right now, just consistency.

• [Week 1] - Go to 1 class.
  • [Week 2] - Go to 2 classes.
  • [Week 3] - Go to 3 classes.
  • [Week 4] - Go to 3-4 classes.
  • [Week 5] - Go to 3-4 classes.
  • [Week 6] - Go to 3-4 classes.

#3: Weekly photo (on weekends) I've consistently read that this is helpful. I won't necessarily post the photos here, but I'll commit to taking them for myself. Perhaps I'll post a Week 1/ Week 6 at the end :)

Life Side Quest

Continue to learn Rails by recommitting to and following the structure I've laid out for myself previously.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Daily Record (X = diet success, O = slip-up)

Week 1 (Jan 5 - Jan 11)

Jan 5: X // yoga

Jan 6: X

Jan 7: X // crossfit

Jan 8: X

Jan 9: X // yoga

Jan 10: O

Jan 11: X

Review: 6/7 diet success, 1/1 on Crossfit. -2 lb (weight not tied to goal, just keeping track).

Week 2

Jan 12: 

Jan 13: 

Jan 14:

Jan 15:

Jan 16:

Jan 17:

Jan 18:

Week 3

Jan 19: 

Jan 20: 

Jan 21:

Jan 22:

Jan 23:

Jan 24:

Jan 25:

Week 4

Jan 26: 

Jan 27: 

Jan 28:

Jan 29:

Jan 30:

Jan 31:

Feb 1:

Week 5

Feb 2: 

Feb 3: 

Feb 4:

Feb 5:

Feb 6:

Feb 7:

Feb 8:

Week 6

Feb 9: 

Feb 10: 

Feb 11:

Feb 12:

Feb 13:

Feb 14:

Feb 15:

• Like 1

Hi, welcome to the community!  I can relate on the emotional/binge eating thing.  My main meals are always healthy but I'll tend to eat a bunch of junk when I'm lonely, bored, or otherwise experiencing negative emotions.  My friends at work don't believe me when I say that I eat Ice Cream on the weekends.  I can also relate to being active and athletic, but always carrying around some extra body fat.

Your goals look like good ones.  I'm interested to see what your experience with Crossfit is.  I know that some people love it and have seen great success with it.  Good luck and keep us posted!

• Like 1

Sky Pirate Monk

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7

NF Character

Battle Log

Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit - Vyse the Blue Rogue

Thanks! That's exactly it. So many people tell me I'm the healthiest person they know. It's not always, but sometimes more often than others. People definitely don't believe me either.

I was worried about Crossfit because of the reputation for intensity over everything, but everyone I met in person, and the trial class I went to, they seemed very focused on form and safety. I'm sure it varies from affiliate to affiliate. I love the structure and the community of it. We'll see how I feel in six weeks!

Nice to meet you!

I like your main quest. Consistency will be your success. I tend to flop from one thing to another before I develop a good habit. Unless of course it's a bad habit then I am right there ready to stick to it :playful: 

I hope you like the cross fit thing. I find it interesting and it does make sense. Like you said though proper form and safety are foremost but that is in any exercise. Good luck with your challenge.  

ADVENTURER 

LEARNING TO PLAY AGAIN                                                                                        

Battle Log

Right?? I never had a problem sticking with a bad habit. Funny how that works. Yes, the main thread of my goals is consistency consistency consistency. Not perfection. Just stick with a structure and see what happens!

I'm really looking forward to the crossfit. I've designed it to ease my body into it a little bit, instead of just diving in the deep end. Mostly I'm looking forward to the community. It's nice to show up to familiar friendly faces, and that's not something I was ever able to really develop at my regular gym.

Crossfit this morning! I need to make myself stick to only one this week. C25k style, don't overdo it with too much too fast.

Learned: I've now been introduced to the power clean + push press.

Edit: Avoided goldfish, a notorious preceder of binges. My work keeps a steady supply of snacks stocked.

• Like 1

Subbed back!

How was your first Crossfit class?

CoderGatherer

Fire Genasi - Level 5

STR 9 | WIS 6 | CON 8 | CHA 3 | DEX 6 | INT 6

Current Challenge

Chapter 1 - Chapter 2 - Chapter 3 -Chapter 4 - Chapter 5 - Chapter 6

Proud Tricerasister

Battle Log

You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Why thanks!

It was good! Kicked my ass of course, but feels so good afterward. I actually did a class last week to try it, and then the starter session on Saturday (they make you do a beginner's session to work on form for the different lifts, etc, which I really liked). 

It's really cool to walk away and know you did it. I'm motivated to go again this week, but I'm really going to keep it down and save the energy for next week :) Stairstepping works and I know it, just have to do it!

Successfully avoided free pizza at an event today! Going strong. Bruises on my knees from crossfit, enjoying the rest. I like to think about it like an X (success) on food intake is good for four workouts done today (if you think about the "80% nutrition" mantra.) Nice restorative yoga for tomorrow.

Hey! How was your second week? Hopefully it was just as awesome as your first :)

CoderGatherer

Fire Genasi - Level 5

STR 9 | WIS 6 | CON 8 | CHA 3 | DEX 6 | INT 6

Current Challenge

Chapter 1 - Chapter 2 - Chapter 3 -Chapter 4 - Chapter 5 - Chapter 6

Proud Tricerasister

Battle Log

You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face." - Eleanor Roosevelt