gabz: 500 Days - 130lbs

Toast013

I grew up as a military brat and have been toying with the idea of joining the military for my entire life.  I finally decided that it's what I want to do.  But one cannot join the military weighing almost 300lbs.  So I have to get myself in shape by the time I graduate college.  

It feels good to have made a decision about my future.  Having set standards and a set end date for my weight loss and fitness goals is the last push I need to actually get off my ass and lose the weight I've been carrying for the last fifteen years.  

Main goal: lose half my body weight (130lbs) by the time I graduate college (May 2016).  

Challenge Goals:

1. Complete the Couch-to-5K program

2. Eat paleo 4 days a week

3. Be able to do a full sit up*

*I used to be the best at sit ups when I was younger.  It was, for some odd reason, the only thing I was good at in PE class.  Sometime in high school I lost the ability to do a sit up and it is utterly shameful to me.  

Lvl 1 Hobbit Adventurer

STR 3| DEX 1| STA 1| CON 3| WIS 6| CHA 2

I loved the C25k program. I had never been a runner before, and I did it in summer of 2012. It taught me something I've tried to carry with me-- no matter how motivated you are, you can't force your body to accommodate to something faster than it's going to, you have to exercise some self-love and self-awareness, giving it time. The first couple weeks are crucial (and repeating those weeks, if you need to, as many times as you need to). The way I think about it now, you have to actually get your body gradually accustomed to the new stress. Anyway, I loved it, great plan :) Good luck!

• Like 1

Hooray for running! c25k is one of my goals this challenge too. I wasn't consistent with it last year (read: I'm lazy), which is a bummer because I really started to enjoy it.

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Week 1:

This week has been a little tough. I've been down lately because my grandmother just died so I didn't get to the gym as much as I wanted nor did I stick to paleo as much either so I'm off to a bit of a rocky start.

However, I have been eating healthier even if it wasn't totally paleo like I'd wanted. I also noticed my pants were back to being as loose as they were before the holidays which was a plus (I'd had to go up a belt loop D:).

Classes and rugby resume Monday so I'll have my routine back which will help a lot.

Lvl 1 Hobbit Adventurer

I really started to enjoy it.

I agree. I enjoy running too, I think. I always thought I hated it because I was so out of shape it made me feel like shit to run. But now I think once I'm more fit I'll really like it because there is nothing like the feeling of wind in your face as you run. I love that sensation.

Lvl 1 Hobbit Adventurer

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandmother. :( That can throw off a routine for sure. 

In high school I tried to run a mile and some change one day when I decided to "get in shape." After not having run like... ever? So obviously it was miserable and I decided I'd never do it again. Last year I went a mile without stopping (less running and more old-person-shuffling but it wasn't walking!) and it was the best feeling in the world. You can absolutely do this. *high five!*

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

really sorry to hear about your grandmother. I hope you are able to get some support from your family and to help them through this as well.

With your challenge, I have one suggestion. Your sit-up goal is more like an "epic quest" (a big picture goal) than something over which you have direct control. For the challenge, it's easier to pick something that you can directly control...like "do 10 crunches a day" or "work on core exercises for 5 minutes, three times a week." It is really rewarding to set goals based on your own effort and actions.

ok, I lied...I have two suggestions. Here's the second: it really helps me to set up some rewards. They can be small and don't have to cost money. An example might be..."I'll do core exercises 3 times a week...and each week that I meet this goal, I can download one song from itunes" (ok that one costs money, but it's pretty cheap). Little rewards really do help make the challenge more fun.

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

Week 2:

So I found out that the goal I was working towards, joining the military, isn't going to happen and that really got me down. I really lost all motivation and fell off the wagon.

Week 3:

I decided that even if I can't join the military I still want to get fit for a plethora of other reasons. So I'm back to my challenge! I may not need to lose 130 lbs in 500 days but that's still my epic quest goal. So I'm gonna keep at it.

Also yesterday was my best rugby performance to date. I was only on the pitch for 20 minutes but I did well (for me). So that was kinda exciting.

• Like 1

Lvl 1 Hobbit Adventurer

Hooray for rubgy! That's awesome. It's a bummer that the military goal fell through but I'm glad you're sticking with the challenge! Even if you can't join, there's nothing wrong with aiming for that level of ridiculous fitness. (Unless it's a medical reason, which is perfectly acceptable.) 

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

So I've apparently not updated the last two weeks. I did write a post but my internet has been faulty so it obviously didn't upload.

Instead of trying to remember how it went, I will simply say this:

Although I failed all of my goals I did end the challenge eating better than I did before (and how I did at the middle during a rather disastrous slump). I did actually complete this challenge which in some ways is a victory in and of itself. I definitely learned from my failure and have a brighter outlook for the next challenge.

Lvl 1 Hobbit Adventurer