virtualmonkey - The Anti-Hibernation experiment redux

virtualmonkey

Ok going to try this again, this time injury free. And that is going to be the focus of my challenge, becoming anti-breakable. Not unbreakable because the unbreakable always shatters (see the cheap light plates from any box store) instead I want to become something that stays away from being broken. I'm not going to grade myself on each goal I'm going to grade overall on missed workouts and injury status at the end.

I will also be starting CrossFit intro class on Tuesday. These trainers have worked with some semi-serious power lifters I know and trust so I'm giving them a fair shot. I'll be doing the intro class 3 days a week so running only 2 days a week for this challenge. I know there are two more days right? Well bowling takes up one of those days.

Main quest - Finish the Spartan Sprint - Indy on May 16th.

Anti-breakable goal 1 - Start once!

I'm going to ease back into running, nice and slow, introduce new workouts only once I feel comfortable everything is ok with the last one I introduced. I actually just finished reading an article in one of the magazines about this and I liked the idea since I'm coming off of an injury. This is my plan, at any time I feel like I'm over doing it all runs will become short easy runs or dropped. 

Week 1 - Easy runs

1 short easy (1-2 miles) run\walk, 1 medium (3-4 miles) easy run\wall. 

Week 2 - Short Intervals

1 day of intervals, thinking 6x 30s on 60s off maybe 75% effort. 1 medium easy run. 

Week 3 -  Easy runs

1 short easy (2-3 miles) run\walk, 1 medium (4-5 miles) easy run\wall. 

Week 4 - Hills

4-6x 100m up hills with 1/4 mile jog around the lake and down to the bottom (my parents house is awesome for hills). 1 medium (4-5 miles) run

Week 5 - Easy runs

1 short easy (2-3 miles) run, 1 medium (4-5 miles) easy run. 

Week 6 - Fun runs!

1 medium trail run (3-4 miles), 1 long run (4-6 miles)

Anti-breakable goal 2 - CrossFit

They claim its good for the whole body, guess we will see what it does for my running. 3x a week for 6 weeks, the first 4 are intro and the last two weeks are real classes, all is included in my intro class trail fee. 

Anti-breakable goal 3 - Love thy foam roller

Yep just that use it when needed. 

Scoring

A - no hurts that aren't good hurts!

B - Miss or change no more than 3 workouts due to injury

C - Miss or change between 3 and 7 workouts due to injury

Fail - get hurt again!

Level 6 - Scout

Challenges - Lost Diary of a Scout

#5#4#3#2#1

I love your title!    +1 CHR

I think the crossfit fits into this anti-break theme really well. Stronger equals less damage, IMHO anyhow.

I love the simplicity and the determination this challenge is showing. I really feel like this has major success written all over it.

Go to it!

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

Well today was almost a resounding fail! Early 8am Dr appointment meant no early morning workout (got cleared to run!), work, lots of work, did I mention work? I think everything that didn't break between Christmas and New Years went belly up today. So I think I worked a total of 11 hours today, I did get to take the dog for a quick 1.2 mile power walk, it was all the energy I had left.

Level 6 - Scout

#5#4#3#2#1

Great quest! I like the goals, I hear CrossFit can be pretty tough but it challenges you in different ways than traditional exercises. Yay for injury free 2015!

Currently Walking / Biking / Hiking to Mordor 

On my way to Rivendell: 208.14 / 458 miles 

"I learned this, at least, by my experiment: that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours." Henry David Thoreau, Walden

The Awesome Runner's Awesome Running Blog

So we started crossfit Tuesday. I waited to post this to give myself time to evaluate it. The first day was fun, there are about 24 people in the Intro class, the only one I knew before walking in the door was my wife. The work out was pretty easy 200m run, 15/12/9 BW squats, pushups, sit ups, 200m run. I was the only person who finished the full workout with pushups on my toes and doing full situps. Kind of proud of that.  So far I like the coaches, they focused on good form, and actually stopped several people in the middle of their workout to correct squat form. My wife already wants to sign up for the full shindig but the first two weeks are free so we are going to wait and see how it goes from here. I can see myself liking this honestly. As much as I like the solitude of my runs I enjoy the community aspect that had already formed in one night on working together. 

I got in a small run\walk yesterday, needed something to keep the muscles loose, 2.5 miles down. Hoping to get in at least 3 miles on Sunday so I have Monday as a full rest day.

• Like 1

Level 6 - Scout

#5#4#3#2#1

Community! I thought I wouldn't be much for it either, but the gym has really made working out fun'er!? I get to check in with some folks and we cheer each other on, especially when going for our PR's or top weights.

I'm glad it's working out.

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

The first week has been a great success in my opinion. Considered the Saturday before we started I threw my back out unloading the dishwasher I thought this week was going to be my worst. 

Day 2 of crossfit was ok, we learned OH press, push press, and dead lift. Which meant they said my form was near perfect, adjusted my grip on the bar and sent me on my way. I learned how to lift 15+ years ago in a powerlifting class in high school. The workout that day was 7 burpees and 7 pushpresses as many sets as you can get through in 7 minutes. I made though 5 full sets and 6th set of burpees.

Day 3 of crossfit was my favorite so far. Squat thrusters were the big item. The workout was 10 burpees, 10 ST, and 10 situps as fast as you can. I think I knocked it out somewhere around 5:40. My shoulders and upper back have been hurting since the morning but what a great hurt it is. 

Crossfit has me super excited for the Spartan coming up. 

I did get out for a run today, the dog and I put in 3.4 miles in 42 minutes including our cool down. We did 10 rounds of 3 min run and 1 min walk avg pace of 13:40 which only puts me about a minute behind what I ran the HM on Nov 1. Not bad considering I was on the injured list since then and I'm trying hard not to push myself. I've been using MMR so I haven't been breaking my runs down like I do with my Garmin watch, its been kind of nice not knowing my pace honestly. My dog is so funny, have about a half mile when he tires out he becomes like a plow horse. He just keeps going with his head down and plodding along at his pace. When I started walking him consistently the week before Christmas and he was dragging after a mile I'm proud of the progress he has made. He's only a 4 yr old lab mutt he should be able to do a few miles. 

I've been neglecting the foam roller. My legs haven't really been bothering me and since I threw my back out I've been hesitant to use it on my back for fear of triggering it again since it is healing nicely. I have used the little one on my foot a few times. 

Level 6 - Scout

#5#4#3#2#1

Wooo crossfit! I did a trial a year ago and really loved it. I think having solid coaches makes all the difference. And it's so encouraging that the box you're going to focuses on form over ego ;)

And it's arguably the best cross training for spartan races and other OCRs.

Also, be really wary when foam rolling your back... I've actually been told to more or less avoid going over your low back with it since that is where the spine is most exposed and most susceptible to injury from unwanted pressure, but upper back is ok since your shoulder blades protect the spine to a greater degree. Just food for thought!

Definitely be good to your back. Foam rollers are great for getting at knots, but if your back is injured, let it calm down (moist heat, ibuprofen, and time - I'm no doc). You can definitely use it on surrounding areas like the butt.

Great week! WOOT

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

Monday I took as a rest day, which means a 1m walk with the dog. I also had to move all my weights, treadmill, bench, etc and cleaned up in that area and then put it all back. Work has been kind of slow.

Yesterday was Day 4 of Crossfit. Learning the strict pull up, which I have lost the ability to do, I can still get my forehead to the bar but not my chin. Since I was that close I was allowed to do kipping pullups. I knocked out 6 rounds of 15 squats. 5 pull ups, 10 pushups for time in 10 minutes, I made it through the 7th round of squats and pull ups. It was the first workout that left me thoroughly exhausted and feeling like had I started the next round I would have found my failure points.

• Like 1

Level 6 - Scout

#5#4#3#2#1

So this weekend is ending in a bad note. I'm at the point that I've started a new routine and I've come down off the high into that "give up" zone and have to power through. Next week is going to be rough, I started my oncall rotation last night and it just happens to be when I need more sleep...great...

Thursday's crossfit workout was 3 rounds 200m run, 10 toes as close to bar as I could get, and 5 kick up to handstands against the wall, I finished in 6:26. 

Friday the dog and I ran 3 min intervals at about 85% 5k race pace. That was fun but it kicked my butt. 

This morning's crossfit was 7 min of 7 wall balls, 7 pushups, and 7 overhead squats, I made it through 6 rounds and 7 pushups.

4 months to the Spartan, no time to slack off. I will be redoubling my efforts this week, hopefully shaking off the funk. I'm thinking I might go for a bike ride at the part tomorrow instead of running, my legs are screaming at me right now and I'm going for injury free not mileage. 

Level 6 - Scout

#5#4#3#2#1

Taking the bike makes good sense from this angle.

I get the motivation shift, rough timing. It might help to look at these kind of times a little differently. I wonder, could you make a routine habit when you practice working out when life doesn't have easily carved out times for you to take care of yourself? Plan A is great. But Plans B & C are often used throughout the year.

Remember, you are the boss in this. Your motivation may be wobbly right now, but your needs are the same. Your health is your responsibility. Remind your motivation of that and look for harder to find, precious slots where you can get in 15 pushups or do a dozen handstands before going wherever it is you have to go. They will fit in there, somehow. Each time you make room for a little something, it gets easier to remind yourself that this is how life is lived during the really busy times.

Your workouts won't always be glorious 45 minute, trash my PRs, kinda things. These will be more like, 'I got 10 push ups and 20 BW squats in and I feel more awake! Yes. Let's do this next thing and then grab some water and pump out something different at my next break.'

Maybe something in this rings true and helpful for you. If not, trash it!  :playful:

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

I actually felt like a new man this morning. I didn't get the bike out on Sunday, I just didn't have the energy after working on my brothers truck. I've been able to sleep more than I thought I would with a teething and allergy infected 2 year old. My mental motivation has been fine, my body was just feeling a little defeated, but I've been giving 110% at every workout and I'm just not used to the type of workouts crossfit has been giving me. I seriously think my shoulders hurt (good hurt) for two weeks. 

Since I woke up feeling great today I told myself I was going to reign in and only go 80% today and not over do it...yeah that didn't happen. I don't seem to know how to not give everything I've got. Even at work, its insane I just can't hold back. 

Today's workout was

500m row

30 wall balls (14lbs ball for me)

25 push ups

20 double under attempts (I made 15, first time doing more than 2 in a row)

15 wall balls

10 push ups

5 double under attempts

250m row.

I started the workout 6 minutes in (waiting for a rower) and still didn't finish last. I think my time was 10 minutes. I went into that bad place, over the 100% mark into the lions den pulling on strength reserves that mothers use to lift cars off their babies. I rolled out of the rower and just laid there, but I won. 

• Like 1

Level 6 - Scout

#5#4#3#2#1

Yea, uh? Calm down dude! LOL

Are you often competitive? Or are you always feeling like you have to prove yourself to someone besides yourself? It sounds like there's an emotional connection between giving it your all and trying to do good, but moderate work. Nice workout though, I haven't tried the wall ball exercise yet.

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

I'm only competitive with myself most of the time, I do like to compete but generally it has to be initiated I don't just compete with the rest of class simply because we are there together. My workouts are mine, I focus on what I need to get done and do it. I couldn't care if someone beats me, see my half pace at 12:45, but I do feel like its not worth going if I'm not going to give it my all. I don't even feel like I have anything to prove, I just want to know what I'm capable of mostly. And if I'm capable of rowing 500m in less than two minutes why would I do anything less? Make sense at all? I think its mostly because of how I was raised to play sports. If you get out there and half ass it you might as well just stay home, is a direct quote I heard from my stepfather growing up. But I don't think he ever meant to be mean just that he knew we were capable of greatness and he wanted us to try hard and do well, he wanted to instill a good work ethic and pride in us, that would translate off the field, and I learned it too well. 

Level 6 - Scout

#5#4#3#2#1

I actually have this sort of mentality as well, especially with endurance sports. I rarely care that if I win (because mostly that's an impossibility) but I want to know that I tried my best and that even if I royally fail I did everything in my power.

That being said I did have to learn to reign it in and more importantly asses the situation and learn when it's just not worth it. It took a few serious injuries to have that concept drilled in my head. I remember I had a coach who once said, if you're fighting between first and second place, you give it your all. But do you want to sustain an injury to come in 14th instead of 15th? And I think he has a good point. How much are you willing to risk and is the reward worth it. Everybody has their own answer to that.

Nice work ethic there, virtual monkey.  I know how hard it is to be over the "THIS IS AMAZIIIIIIIIING" feeling and into, "Why did I ever think this was amazing?" territory.  Sometimes you just gotta power through.  Keep up the good work!

HermioneCrusher: Level 4 Human Witch Scout

Current Challenge: HermioneCrusher conjures new food

Previous Challenges: 4 3 2 1

STR 5 | DEX 7 | STA 12 | CON 4 | WIS 7 | CHA 4

Interesting to say the least. 

I honestly don't remember Thursday's crossfit anymore, I think we worked on cleans and box jumps or something. I dunno, I only remember it being a partner workout and as many reps as possible which I don't like as much as the do X as fast as possible. Thursday night\friday morning on call got interesting. Nothing blew up just lots of stupid stuff that had to be dealt with meaning no sleep for me.

Friday I was all dressed for hills, when I started randomly snowing. We got roughly 3 inches we weren't ready for, and my car was stuck at my moms house. People slide down her driveway with 4wd. So I had to have my dad and brother drop by my house & pick up my truck on their way home so I could get home myself. I didn't get my hills in but I did have to hike the appx 1/4 mile carrying my 34 lbs kiddo up hill in 3 inches of snow. Sometime Friday around lunch time my daughter (closing in on 2.5 years old) comes thumping down the stairs "Daddy I did it, I doody" I don't think she quite figured out why I laughed so hard.

Saturday was pure strength at crossfit. Mostly the class was going over bar\rack safety, how to safely dump weight mid squat or clean, and something else. The workout was 5x3 front squats, did my first set at 105 and the last 4 at 135. Then worked my way up doing 2 round sets to 180 as 1RM. I was satisfied. Then we went to the boat show and let my daughter play on all the new expensive boats. My FIL is a big boater and he used it as an excuse for us to meet his new girlfriend. She was really nice, I honestly expected my wife to have a hard time with it since her mother has only been gone for a little over a year but she was really excited to meet the new lady and they hit it off really well. 

Today the dog and I ran 3.5 mile on a very hilly course, tried to get them both in at once :) I think our time was right about40 minutes, nothing great but at least I got out running. 

• Like 1

Level 6 - Scout

#5#4#3#2#1