The Adventures of Ron Solo and Chewie

RonSolo

-=Begin Transmission=-

This is Ron Solo and you’re tuned into the ol’ Pork Chop Express. I’m your pilot on this beautiful journey through the stars. I’m here to tell you of the tales and challenges that this scoundrel faces as he flies around the galaxy. Currently, I reside on a planet named Dae’hanmingoo in the As’ia planetary system. I’ve been stationed here helping the local younglings in improving their understanding of Basic.

When I’m not enlightening the minds of youngsters, you can find me meditating, training my brain or finding other ways of improving myself. My current specs are 5’11†and 160 lbs. I’d like to build muscle and get rid of the baby gut I‘ve acquired from the copious amounts of late nights I’ve had in the past couple of years. I’d like to follow the way of the Battalions of Barbell; a transmission I received from the Nerds of Fitness.

Main Quest: Complete Rank One of the Barbell Battalion

Quest 1: Follow the Rank One schedule 3 days a week. 5x5 Squats/ Push Press one day. 5x5 Deadlifts/Pull ups one day

Measurement: A = 18 workouts, B = 12 workouts, C = 6 workouts

Reward: A = +3 STR, +2 STA, B = +2 STR, +1 STA, C = +1 STR

Quest 2: Spinning class 3 days a week. I signed up for spinning at my gym because I like to ride my bike and this is a fun way to do it.

Measurement: A = 18 spin classes, B = 12 spin classes, C = 6 spin classes

Reward: A = +3 STA, B = +2 STA, C = +1 STA

Quest 3: Yoga class 2 times a week. I would like to work on my flexibility, and I also signed up for this at my gym. If I can’t make it to yoga, daily night stretching should count for something.

Measurement: A = 12 Yoga classes, B = 6 Yoga classes, C = 42 nights of stretching

Reward: A = +3 WIS, +2 CON, B = +2 WIS, +1  CON, C = +1 WIS

Life Quest: Meditate daily. Even if it’s only for five minutes. I can do it as soon as I wake up.

Measurement: A = 42 days, B = 36 days, C = 30 days

Reward: A = +2 WIS, B = +1 WIS, C = +0.5 WIS

Motivation: I have found love in one of the local women of this planet and I’d like to look my best on the day we are to be united as one in their ritual practice of marriage. I want to look like James Bond walking down the aisle.

I can’t do it alone. Help me Nerd Fitness, you’re my only hope.

-=End Transmission=-

• Like 2

-=Begin Transmission=-

Day 1 Log

Nerd Fitness Warm Up

Push Press 5x5 with 5 kg weights

Squats 5x5 with 5 kg weights

Custom Cool Down

Meditation in the morning and night stretch

Unfortunately do to my extra workload for the winter, I was unable to complete either a spinning or yoga sessions today due to schedule conflicts.

Thank you Liberator. The force will always be by my side.

-=End Transmission=-

• Like 1

-=Begin Transmission=-

Day 2 Log

I usually head to the gym in the morning, but for two weeks I have winter camp so I can only go at night. Unfortunately by the time I finish work, all the classes are full. I may have to take a spinning/meditation hit for two weeks. But I should be able to stay on track with my Barbell Battalion tomorrow. 

Thanks for all the kind words Rebels! I'll make sure to check out your adventures when I have the time. Solo out.

-=End Transmission=-

• Like 2
-=Begin Transmission=-

Day 3 Log

Nerd Fitness Warm Up

Deadlift 5x5 with 5 kg weights

Pullups 5x5

Custom Cool Down

5x5 pullups was almost impossible, but somehow I made it to 25 (taking lots of breaks). I hope these will get easier over time....

-=End Transmission=-
  • Like 1

-=Begin Transmission=-

Day 4 Log

Nerd Fitness Warm Up
Yoga

I found a way to make my schedule and the time for yoga coincide so I tried my first Beat Yoga class. It felt like I was taking pilates haha

Almost... but not impossible. You finished when you could have given up! They will get easier for sure. 

I hope so! Thanks for the encouragement.

-=End Transmission=-

-=Begin Transmission=-

Day 5 Log

Nerd Fitness Warm Up
Push Press 5x5 with 7.5 kg weights
Squats 5x5 with 7.5 kg weights
Custom Cool Down

I've watched a couple videos on how to push press and I thought I was doing it right, but one of the personal trainers at my gym came over to tell me how I was doing it wrong. He said I wasn't pointing my elbows out far enough and I wasn't pushing the bar up fast enough. I think he was right because once I finished my workout and got home, I felt pain in my lower back on the right side. It kind of feels like I pulled my back out.

TLDR; I'm doing the push press wrong. Does any body have any links to videos of how to do it right?

-=End Transmission=-

To me push press isn't just an arm thing. Make sure you dip slightly with your knees so you can use your whole body to get the bar up. Also anytime you're lifting weight overhead make sure to focus on keeping your core tight. Not engaging the ab muscles can cause you to have a sore low back. I will look for a video for you when I get to a computer later today

Try not, do or do not- Yoda

-=Begin Transmission=-

Day 6 Log

It's the weekend! I'm taking a break from working out. Unfortunately I didn't find to meditate or stretch either...

To me push press isn't just an arm thing. Make sure you dip slightly with your knees so you can use your whole body to get the bar up. Also anytime you're lifting weight overhead make sure to focus on keeping your core tight. Not engaging the ab muscles can cause you to have a sore low back. I will look for a video for you when I get to a computer later today

Yea after watching a couple videos, I realized I wasn't keeping my core tight and wasn't really pushing up from the knees.

Is this what you are talking about? It's not something I have ever done, but I googled and found this: http://www.muscleandfitness.com/workouts/leg-exercises/videos/barbell-push-press

Thanks for the link! I appreciate you taking the time to find that for me. 

-=End Transmission=-

-=Begin Transmission=-

Day 7 Log

Weekend rest time with Meditation in the morning and night stretch.

Day 8 Log

Nerd Fitness Warm Up
Deadlift 5x5 with 7.5 kg weights
Pullups 5x5
Custom Cool Down

Meditation in the morning and night stretch.

Finally got into a spinning class. So fun. Much energies. Wow.

-=End Transmission=-
  • Like 1

-=Begin Transmission=-

It's been a rough week due to my additional intake of students for the Camp that celebrates winter. I've missed a couple of entries, so I'd like to update those now

Day 11 Log

Meditation and Night Stretch

Skipped the Gym to drink with my brother. Dun dun duuuuuuun. Somehow managed to do a drunken night stretch, but I'm not happy with my decision to miss the workout....

Day 12 Log

Also, bought a suit and new shoes for my wedding pictures!

Day 13 Log

My weekly review does not consist of going to the Gym. However, I am back on my normal schedule, so I should be able to complete 5 out of 5 days of working out, spinning and yoga. Plus, with the renewed energy from the Seahawks victory, there is no stopping me!!!

-=End Transmission=-

-=Begin Transmission=-

Day 16 Log

Nerd Fitness Warmup
Push Press 5x5 with 10 kg weights
Squats 5x5 with 10 kg weights
Custom Cool Down

Spinning Class

Meditation in the morning and night stretch.

I tried to move up the weight to 12.5 kg, but after one rep of Push Press, I realized that's a little too heavy. I stuck with 10's and I'll try to move up next time.

-=End Transmission=-