AnnieP gets back on track

New year; new challenge. New outlook. I kind of crashed and burned over the holidays, with my new work responsibilities, and the stress, and the everything. My exercise routines and good eating all went out the window, I am ashamed to say. Though, I only gained back 5 of the pounds I'd lost. Time to get back on track. :onthego:

For this challenge (and the year, if truth be told), I am not going to worry about what the scale says. I care only about doing the fun, assassin-y things that attracted me to this guild in the first place. My friends want me to join a new gym with them. It's a little out of my comfort zone, but I'm leaning towards doing it anyway.

First thing's first. I need to go back to eating healthy food. My idea of healthy is somewhere north of Paleo -- more Mediterranean influenced, I guess. Lots of veggies and fruits, quality meats (minimally processed), nuts and whole grains, and healthy fats (olives, avocados, and the like). Limited dairy -- I feel better when I don't give it up entirely. Definitely light on the processed sugar (none would be ideal).

Next, I need endurance. Cardio seems the best choice for this, whether I like it or not. :playful:  I need to walk or do some sort of cardio at least 5 days a week. If I do join the gym, then maybe I'll use some of their shiny cardio equipment to change up my routine a bit. It could be an adventure! :pirate:

Strength. I'm fairly strong -- working retail will do that to you -- but more in a moving boxes around, let me help you carry that to your car sort of way. I want to work up to doing more than 3 standard (flat ground, on my toes) push ups in a row. I'll do this by either doing my three, and repeating for several sets, or by doing several reps and sets of an easier version (incline, or on my knees. This year's epic quest involves being able to do 25 toe push ups in a row. And pistol squats. And mastering the pull up.

Ah, the pull up. Yeah, I'm nowhere close -- but that won't stop me from working towards it. :D I'll continue with my dead hangs (in the back stockroom at work, if I have to). And I'll find a way to resume my inverted rows that doesn't involve pulling the flimsy kitchen table down on top of me. Yeah, that happened. :nevreness: If anyone has any hints for using actual gym equipment to help me get closer to a pull up, please don't hesitate to chime in (hint, hint). :)

Core strength will involve planks, mostly. I was up to a minute at a time, before everything fell apart. Likely, I will have to work my way back up to that again. I may (or may not, this challenge) look into other core exercises for variety. My instincts are telling me to concentrate on one thing at one time, though. This is the mantra that got me sanely (mostly) through the holidays, so I might just stick with planks for now.

If I am going to be going to the gym with my friends, then I will probably end up doing some actual lifting, as well. They lean more towards the "warrior" mindset when it comes to working out. I'm certainly game to try, especially if it makes me strong enough to try handstands (a future goal of mine) or generally makes doing my actual job easier (always a plus). Besides, I was thinking I wanted to try weighted squats (easier to do with actual weights, I imagine).

For my life goal, I am going to work on writing a little bit every day. (Yes, ShadowLion - more author stuff. XD ) I'd like to finally finish my current work in progress and go on to the next big project.

Well, that's it. I don't think I've bitten off more than I can chew (I hope). Let's have a great challenge and a great year, everybody!

TL;DR: I'm back. I'm going to eat better. Do cardio stuff. Push ups, dead hangs. Maybe inverted rows. Weighted squats. Going to work my way up to 1 minute planks. Write every day. Dance the Macarena... Oh wait. Maybe not that last thing. XD

• Like 8

AnnieP (respawned)

Starting over Newbie (second time's the charm)

"Never be satisfied with anything less than absolute perfection! ...said no sane person ever." -- Spark

"And my cheese monster will never be satisfied by cheddar, only the cheese of accomplishment." -- Ze Frank, An Invocation for Beginnings(NSFW)

Current Challenge: Finding Her Joy Again;  Previous Challenge: Here We Go Again

yay here you are! excited to see your challenge progress. it looks really really good.

• Like 1

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

Yay! that sounds like a great plan :) and hopefully if you do end up heading to the gym then there might be some back machines or something to help with your pull up goal too :) 

And writing yay! I do like seeing goals similar to mine :P 

• Like 1

Assassin Guild Leader  Trainee

STR: 2 | DEX: 2 | STA: 2 | CON: 3 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 3

Current Challenge: Vengefulpear Revives!

Level 1

High Score:

Level 7 STR: 14 | DEX: 10 | STA: 1 | CON: 12 | WIS: 6 | CHA: 4

Great to see you back and going for it! I stumbled over the holidays, too, but all the more reason to go at this challenge and kill it!

Have you figured how you're going to track things and measure your progress?

Yay - yet another nerd with a writing goal! We can help keep each other on track.

Handstands and other fun assassiny things: Between you, Phayze, Amhdiel, and starsapart, I have to regularly remind myself that I am a ranger. It's that "the whole world is your playground" thing. Very much a rangery "Oh, look at all the fun they're having/shiny object" reaction from me. :)

• Like 1

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Great challenge!!! 2015 seems to be the year of the pull-up! I've seen quite a few people with that as their goal for this year, myself included. Best of luck!

• Like 1

The Introverted Goddess

Level 5 || STR 9 || DEX 6 || STA 6 || CON 12 || WIS 13 || CHA 7

Current Challenge: The Introverted Goddess is......

Past Challenges as Sin's Goddess: #1  #2  #3W  #3A  #4  #5  #6  #7  #8

Okay, time for an update. On Monday, I walked 10 minutes to the bus stop, then 15 minutes to work after I got off the bus. I made sure it was a brisk walk, so I could count it as part of my cardio exercise. No bodyweight exercises. I did fairly well on food until late afternoon, when I somehow decided that I must EAT ALL THE THINGS! I am not quite sure what went haywire, so I made sure to pack more protein into Tuesday's lunch.

Tuesday, I got in 3 sets of incline pushups (5 per set) alternated with 3 sets of squats (10 per set). I walked the 10 minutes to the bus stop (briskly, so I can count it) and... realized I forgot my wallet. Grrrrrr. So, back home I went 10 more minutes, then back out to the bus stop. Again. The 15 min walk from the transfer center seemed qlmost too easy. almost[\i]

I did better foodwise today (Tuesday). At least, i didn't feel I needed to eat everything that wasn't nailed down. I'm going to start tracking my calories so i can see how much i am actually eating.

• Like 4

AnnieP (respawned)

"Never be satisfied with anything less than absolute perfection! ...said no sane person ever." -- Spark

"And my cheese monster will never be satisfied by cheddar, only the cheese of accomplishment." -- Ze Frank, An Invocation for Beginnings(NSFW)

I used to hate hearing my tummy grumble, but now I go grab a glass of water and tell myself that it's just the sound of the fat monsters fleeing in defeat :)  It's probably not the most healthy mindset to maintain for any period of time, but in a pinch when you just need to buy yourself a bit of sanity until your next meal it can be helpful.

• Like 1

Level 2 Hedgehog

LRD's Daily Battle Log

Previous Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Epic Quest

"Even the smallest candle burns brighter in the dark."

If a higher protein lunch helped to stave off the afternoon hunger pangs, then maybe don't just track calories, track macros too (if you use my fitness pal it does it for you). Definately sounds like you have the potential to eat the same number of calories but with a different ratio and get a different result. Experimentation is the key to success! and you already seem to be well on the way.

It seems like you're having a good start to week 1, so good work!

• Like 1

Dwarf Warrior
I am today what I made myself yesterday, I will be tomorrow what I make of myself today.

Current challenge: Juni0r83 works on his Schedule-Fu

Previous challenge: Juni0r83 re-evaluates and refocuses

*waves* Hi Jakkals!

Thanks to everyone for their encouraging words. So, I went to My Fitness Pal and put in my food for today -- lunch is packed already, so I already know pretty much what it's going to be. And... I solved the mystery of the Eat-Everything-In-Sight urge. Apparently, I haven't been bringing in enough food with me to work, so my body said, "Hey! If you want me to continue doing stuff like thinking clearly and moving, then you'd better give me more to go on." So I'd find myself mindlessly eating candy or leftover stale cake from the Christmas Eve party here at work. OOPS. :nevreness:  Today, I factored in enough food (calories) to get me through the day, and I think I might find it a bit easier to stick to the healthy stuff. :)

Speaking of healthy, I weighed and measured myself to keep better track of my progress. Like I said in my first post, I am not overly concerned with my weight for this challenge, but I need it to properly calculate my body fat percentage. I use the US military formula to calculate bf% -- I have a cool little app where I just plug in the numbers. So, here it is:

Height: 5'5" (65 inches)

Weight: 177 pounds

Neck circumference: 14 inches

Hips: 43 inches

Waist: 36 inches

The app calculates my bf% as 40.4, which is waaayyyy better than the 45.5 I got last year at this time. So, I know  I've got a ways to go, but I am headed in the right direction. Hopefully, I'll see some improvement by the end of this challenge. Right? Right! :pride:

• Like 2

AnnieP (respawned)

AWESOME progress!

and yeah, man. those days that I totally flub breakfast and lunch and don't eat enough are the absolute worst!

• Like 1

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

Hey, Annie! You should totally post your writing here :D So we can all share in the literary challenge!

Everything going ok? :) 

• Like 1

"If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment"

- Marcus Aurelius

Hi again, everyone. So, between yesterday and today, I had a turnaround shift at work. Basically,scheduled to close last night ('till 10:30 PM, or 22:30) and back in the morning at 7 AM. No, my boss isn't sadistic -- I traded shifts with a coworker so I could go down to Pine (1.5 hour drive from Flagstaff) for the evening. Caffeine can only get you so far, and trust me, I needed more help than my morning tea could give me today. :)

Yesterday was a cardio-only day, with a brisk walk to and from the bus stop. I'm thinking I need to map it out so i know better how far a walk I am taking. I can still go by minutes I suppose, but the more I walk, the better at it I will get. Then, the time frame will be nearly meaningless. Oh, and I did manage a deadhang or three on the stockroom shelf for 10, 12, and 10 seconds. I'm thinking my arms could have gone longer, but my grip needs to be stronger before that can happen. At least on a shelf, that is.

Today, I was tired and pressed for time. I did manage to get in two sets each of pushups (flat ground; on my toes) and squats. I did 3 pushups a set, for a grand total of 6 (working on getting that number higher) and 10 squats/set. I appear to have lost the most ground on the squats over last year. Sad, since my surgery last year was on my shoulder (minor-ish; had a pace-maker put in) and my pushups only suffered a little bit in comparison. Also, I spotted a crossbeam shelf bar in my work stockroom where I can test my (still-developing) pull up ability. It's right in front of a security camera, though, so I am a bit reluctant to use it often. :nevreness: I pulled myself up by 2 inches on it by the way, in case you're wondering.

Foodwise, everything went well yesterday. I packed a decent lunch, and made myself eat breakfast, so I wouldn't be so hungry just before bed. Everything worked as planned. When does that ever happen? :D

Today, I started out well with the eating plan, then it all kind of went out the window when my roommate picked me up to go down to Pine to visit friends. Ah well, tomorrow is another day. :) I wasn't too bad -- except for the ice cream.

Anyway, it's late --really late -- here. I'd better get to bed before I mess up my entire sleep schedule. Hope everyone's first week is going well so far. :onthego:

AnnieP (respawned)

Argh, can't believe it took me this long to look your new challenge thread up! I blame the cat.

sad_cat-13555.jpg

...fine, it was my fault. Anyway hi!

• Like 1

Level 10 Superhero Trainee (Ranger)

Str 20   Dex 12   Sta 15   Con 15   Wis 13   Cha 16

My Battle Log: Getting Back on the Horse

Challenges! 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

NerFiWriCh Completed: 1!

My book! The Mercenary's Guide to Ruined Seattle.

To all you saints and sinners!

You losers and you winners!

Here's to one more day above the roses!

Hi Spark! Don't worry, I blame all sorts of stuff on kitty. He just looks at me like, "Really?"

• Like 1

AnnieP (respawned)

Okay, So I took the last couple of days off from exercising (and posting, apparently). :chargrined: I was going to only take the one day off, then that time of the month happened and ...CRAMPS. Okay, doing better today.

I looked over the last week, and realized that a) I only did each bodyweight exercise once

b ) I didn't do any abs exercises (like planks)

c) I didn't do any writing - okay, I knew that already, but I have a fix

for that...

d) I am doing okay on my cardio goal (It can't all be bad news) :)

So, Week II plan: Get my rear off the couch and exercise more. Except when I need to be putting it in the chair to write more. I joined Spark's NerFiWriCh (nerfy-rich) accountabilibuddy group. A bunch of us crazies writing nerds are going to attempt to write 50,000 words (each) for the last 4 weeks of the challenge. Just like that other event in November. (And April and July, if you count Camp Nano...) Okay, I'd better get moving if I want to fit all this in. :onthego:

• Like 3

AnnieP (respawned)

you can do it! I mean, you're doing dead hangs off of SHELVES at WORK. :)

• Like 2

That's a lot of writing! Have you ever tried hanging from a real pull up bar? I bet you could go for a super long time. I find it crazy hard to hang from weird object things like shelves, so I bet you have amazing grip strength. 

• Like 1

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 11   Charisma 14   Strength 18  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien