• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

MagicAnatomist

New to paleo..

Hey all!

I have started transitioning into a paleo diet. I know that healthy fats are not the enemy, but I still want to make sure I learn properly. For example, I have always been told boiled eggs over fried eggs (even if fried in avocado oil or coconut oil) because of the excess fat. Does it really matter? How should I make sure I get enough healthy fats without eating anything in excess? I am still learning and I am not really sure how to balance everything. 

Thanks!

I find the Whole30 meal template to be a helpful guideline. Between myself and Mr. Ripple we went through a Costco sized bottle of olive oil (and half a bottle of avocado oil) during our first Whole30 and we both lost weight - 16lbs for me and 12lbs for him. 

Oh, and I ate eggs prepared in ghee (clarified butter) for probably 50% of my total breakfast meals on Whole30. 

In short: embrace the fat. It's actually pretty hard to overeat on, and it helps you feel full/satisfied.

• Like 2

Thank you! That is what I gathered from multiple articles but I just wanted to be sure. It's hard to untrain your brain from conventional diet wisdom quickly, so I just wanted some rebel confirmation. Thank you for the helpful link!

Glad I could help. Honestly, on my first day of my first Whole30 I completely freaked out after making a salad for lunch and realizing that I had 4 tablespoons of olive oil in the dressing. (I made the salad too big, it was actually hard to eat the whole thing!) About halfway through I quit stressing about fats - I could tell I felt better and my clothes were fitting better. I also read the Whole30 book which has great information on how fats help keep you satisfied. 

Honestly, I believe healthy fats are the key to paleo eating. It is completely amazing to me how satisfying a meal made using that Whole30 template is, and how long I stay full. I also come from the low fat mindset (I lost 75lbs eating diet junk food on Weight Watchers may moons ago) so I know it's scary at first, but I promise you that healthy fats won't make you fat! 

Thanks for sharing with me! I too lost weight on WW and it was not the way to make a permanent lifestyle change. I will stop stressing about the fats then. For breakfast this morning I had an egg fried in healthy fat, some paleo jerky, a handful of unsalted nut mix, and half of a green apple. It just seems like so much food (and fat) when you are used to eating small unsatisfying meals. But I have felt awesome these last few days so I won't deny myself the healthy fats. Thank you so much, again! You have been incredibly helpful.

Thank you for sharing.  I need all the help I can get. I started Paleo cold-turkey and was strength training and lost a bunch of weight.  Then time got in the way and money became shorter so I pretty much lapsed back into my old habits.  Now I do DDPYOGA because it allows me to wake up 2 hrs early so I can workout, take a shower, get dressed and make breakfast.  So now I'm trying to slowly go back to Paleo.

• Like 1