WCG builds foundations for the Batcave

Just scraping in to start on time (for my time zone at least!) after returning from a relaxing and refreshing low tech holiday that involved lots of riding down a river on inflatable objects! Much fun!

This challenge will be tri-phase... 3 weeks left of summer vacation, a half week of work/transition week, then back at work proper for 2. So, I have to lay foundations now for the year ahead.

The ground is prepared: in the last challenge I moved house, explored the area a bit, started being really tidy and clean in my new place and started getting rid of my excess stuff to the tune of over 300 items!

Now, I need to lay the slab/dig the foundations/cement in the stumps (does anyone even build on stumps anymore?)...

How? I have decided that I really need to focus on what is important... I can do the exercise bit and enjoy it, what needs work (still) is what I eat. I have messed around and tried different things for over a year now and noticed some really ingrained bad habits that have derailed many attempts (and emotional eating set me way back with my wrecked wrist in the second half of last year). So, I have a session booked for mid week 2 to have a chat with the psychologist I see irregularly for my anxiety/depression issues to see what he can come up with. This needs serious looking at if I really want to see change.

Also, any minute now I am going to put one of those goal bars along my signature... I had more goals but with my wrist possibly taking a year to fully recover I have to focus on what I really want (other than being strong and fit). One of my goals by 40 was to get to 20% body fat. Project 365 stalled a bit over the first quarter with my injury and despite maintaining a stable weight, I put on fat and lost muscle, making my clothes fit bad :( never ins the emotional toll. Currently, as of this morning, I am sitting at 34.4%. I am going to find a way to do this, but this challenge will be about foundations. The how, especially when I am back at work.

Sheesh! That's a lot of blather!

Week 1-3

Training: amongst other things... Get back on the bike!

Increase time on stationary bike focussing on using core to hold up body rather that weight on wrist and getting my bum through the readjustment to saddle pain.

Ride each day - increase time every day. (This allows for starting at a five minute mark and assessing effects and as I start to push it just increasing by seconds if I hit a plateau.)

I don't watch a lot of visual media but bought season 1 of parks and recreation and would like to be able to cycle through a episode by the end of this.

Nutrition: this will change...

Starting point: Buy only whole foods (or minimum ingredients/processing/sugar)... Not dodging on chocolate and chips and biscuits that are on sale after Xmas. Things already here can be eaten in moderation.

Eat well in the Batcave because that is where everything starts.

Stay tuned for further developments...

Batcave: Continue the unpack and downsize. Occasionally I get a little overwhelmed looking at all the crap I have to go through but a friend who has been decluttering/minimising her life for the last 2 years still feels like she has a lot to go... So I have time.

- Keep chaos in the garage.

- Aiming for 150 items over the six weeks (this may change if I hit the target early).

Head space: new foundation in this house needs to have time for quiet reflection and time for my brain and heart to be still. Last year I was finding lighting a candle helped still things. I have tried meditating using an app for 5 mins a day that worked for a while, but I need a pattern, a habit for the new year. I am thinking deliberate practice over the three weeks morning and night and seeing which comes more naturally by the end or when I get back to work.

I will be doing my wrist rehab and see the therapist again in week 4.

In monk fashion I will also be working towards my next grading and it seems I am entering a comp in March doing a pairs pattern. I might do an individual one if I can be persuaded as I haven't done the entry form yet. My wrist isn't up to sparring yet, which makes me sad and to be honest I am somewhat ambivalent about the competitive nature of patterns...

So it is written! Best be getting on with it then!

• Like 1

Aussie Bush Ranger - Training with the Monks

'I'll fight but not surrender', cried the wild colonial... GRRL!

Project 365 - Becoming BatGirl

Current Challenge

I think I'll start again in your time zone! Can't go wrong starting with sleep eh?

You cannot.  That is fact.  Everything starts with sleep.

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

I will be glad when summer returns to my hemisphere and I too can float down the river on inflatable objects! 

Sounds like a great challenge. It is time to tackle the food isn't it? Or maybe less tackling of the food.  :tongue: Seems like I'm ramping up a bit slowly this week but I intend to get to a pretty strict "boring" place with food. 

joedog, level 15 Monk

Current Challenge

Awwwww crap!

This week has been interesting... A combo of Pre Shark week and self inflicted mental stress about unpacking from house move resulted in me taking a half arsed day off then a complete day off life. It was good, I finished a book, read comics, napped, lay on the couch and watched Dr. who. Then shark week arrives and it's nasty and I have no routine at the moment (still on summer holidays) to keep me going in a straight line.

Turns out the pizza shop closest to my new house isn't very good compared to my last home which is probably a good thing as I won't want to eat from there in the future!

Yesterday after dragging my sorry arse out of the house I went to an engagement party and then a 'back in the country' type BBQ and made all the unnecessary choices. Today I am having a housewarmingish type BBQ with a few friends coming over to my new place. That will allow lots of good choices and start me off for week two... Or alcohol. Am hoping as it is Sunday there won't be too much drinking...

Am finding the balance between feeling like I have to deal with all my 'stuff' from moving now I have started and actually enjoying my new habitat is really missing. Mostly, it's in my head (but then I think most things are).

Next week I will do the week 1 mini challenge and turn up every day (and go see what everyone else is up to as well).

Current Challenge

And another bump in the road to transition. Keep at it, though. You fight on with the right intensity and when this all settles down, you'll be right on track. Time will wash this out to neutral, I'm sure of it.

Cheers Kishi. I appreciate the support!

Current Challenge

Ok... So one of my mates from TKD came to my BBQ/housewarming type low key thing this arvo... So I might have said I'd be at training tomorrow no matter how low key holidays it is! I won't be there wed coz I'm going to an Asian cup soccer match. So, PT better eating and TKD tomorrow. Great start to a new week!

Current Challenge

It was hard to drag my butt to TKD tonight but felt better for doing it. PT was moved to tomorrow due to trainers illness (I was a bit seedy after the night before so wasn't complaining, even though it probably would have made me feel better). It wasn't a formal class tonight but it was good to get going again.

In the rearrangement post BBQ have put my bike on the trainer in the lounge room so I can pop on a DVD to try to get more time in the saddle and harden my bum again (then I can work harder at it and increase my cardio fitness). Problem I'm finding with the couple of spin classes I've done pre and post christmas is that my wrist doesn't like holding on much... This means that I need to strengthen my core so it holds my torso up rather than putting all the weight through my hands. It's a theory... Or my wrists will keep strengthening and maybe keep pace with my bum? Who knows! But I'll have to actually do it to find out!

Current Challenge