After dusting off the cobwebs from my workout gear for the last challenge and taking some necessary downtime during the holidays, I'm ready to get back into the swing of things this year because I've got goals, baby! Lots of goals! 

Even though I am a budding scholar, I need to be SMART with my goals (and short(er) with my posts), so I'm going to break it down real simple with reference to my previous challenge thread:

Main Quest is still the same as the last challenge in terms of body and mind: Body, with the added motivation to be ready for a debate team reunion I have in late April; mind, with the hope that I'll be close to finishing up this damn dissertation already.

Quest One: Do Bodyweight Brigade Level 2 (A and B, 3 to 4 times a week as cycled) or 21 workouts total. 
A = +3 STR, +2 CHA; B = +2 STR, +1 CHA; C = +1 STR, +.5 CHA

Quest Two: Interval run (following Steve's recommendations, of course) at least twice a week or at least 12 times total.

A = +3 DEX, +2 STA; B = +2 DEX, +1 STA; C = +1 DEX, +.5 STA

Quest Three: Write a page and a half for my dissertation at least six days of the week—regardless of how good it is—and edit it the next day. Approximately 54-63 pages total (or roughly two dissertation chapters).

A = +5 WIS; B = +4 WIS; C = +3 WIS

I'm not doing any life quests this time around, but I will participate in any side quests that are running/biking/cardio related with the Scouts. 

I am (or was, more so) an avid runner, so I think I'll fit in nicely with the Scouts for this challenge. I'm excited to be more involved here and to connect with many of you!

Now...time to wear the tread down on these running shoes so I can justify buying a new pair for the new year!

Let's kick it off right! I'm hyped!!

• Like 2

- — Thister — -

Level 3, Cylon (Humanoid IntelliScout/Ranger)

STR 6 | DEX  7 | STA 7 | CON 5 | WIS 7.5 | CHA 4

Challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 (Checking in most days, weekly updates)

"If people did not sometimes do silly things, nothing intelligent would ever get done." â€• Ludwig Wittgenstein

Week One

Goals Met

• Did Bodyweight Brigade A and B twice. That's 4 out of my 21 workout goal!
  • Ran intervals twice on days in between Bodyweight Brigade workouts. That's two out of my 12 workout goal!
  • Wrote about 8.5 pages. This is a little behind task, but(!) I'm not in a bad place considering that most of the writing has resulted in revisions that make it sound better than what I started off with. It's a process, and that's really all there is to it. 

Lessons Learned

• Learned not to overdo it with cardio. It's a bad habit I have because I totally get runner's high when I do cardio. I am going to commit to not overdoing it on in-between days. Interval run days are for interval runs only. Weekend fun days, though, can be for a big run, like a 5k or, if I'm feeling crazier, a 10k.
  • Learned I need to eat more to gain muscle. I've been reading Steve's advice on Nerd Fitness Academy about this. I keep good track of all my food and calories with Lose It, but I'm realizing that perhaps I'm not eating enough. I'm going to gradually increase my intake without going overboard with it, too.

Measurements (Before and After, Top to Bottom) (Old measurements are from December 20th.)

• Neck
    • 14.8" (It's the same)
  • Chest
    • From 40" to 39.8"
  • Bicep
    • 12.5" (It's also the same)
  • Waist
    • From 35.8" to 35.6"
  • Hip
    • ​From 40.2" to 38.8"
  • Thigh
    • From 24.8" to 24.6"

Overall, not too bad. Some marginal changes, which are good! I'm going to measure again at the end of week three. There's no need to do it each week.

I'm getting there. Slowly.

hlh2xvhZOfzji.gif

Hahaha!

• Like 1

- — Thister — -

"If people did not sometimes do silly things, nothing intelligent would ever get done." â€• Ludwig Wittgenstein

Week Two Wrap-Up

Goals Met

• Did Bodyweight Brigade A and B three times. That's 3+4, or 7 out of my 21 workout goal!
  • Ran intervals once on days in between Bodyweight Brigade workouts and did focused yoga on other days. That's two more, for four out of my 12 workout goal!
  • I've got about 10 pages, so I'm a little behind in my writing still. Some of this is due to my lovely communications with my advisor, and some of it is due to my uncertain with writing. I'm done with both of those now, though. I will have three chapters to my advisor before I visit him later in mid to late February. 

Lessons Learned

• Learned that I am eating enough each week, so far, for the progress I want to make. I read up on optimal protein intake and optimal food intake for muscle building, and I'm in the right range most days.
  • Learned that I need to own my dissertation project more and that there are times when I need to ignore what my advisor says and do what I want to do as long as I can justify it. If he doesn't like it, he will get over it.
  • Learned that I have great support from committee members, mentors, friends and family. Honestly, if it wasn't for them, I would've already quit this mental clusterfuck known as a PhD.

Overall

I can tell that I am making great progress. I'm not really keeping track of my weight, but I can tell that I am losing pounds. My pants are fitting looser. Old pairs actually fit great around my thighs (which is my most troublesome area, typically). My shirts are fitting just a little more loose. I feel the muscles in my abs and legs slowly growing. None of it is really painful either. It's that good soreness--that good burn--that you feel when you are making progress and doing it right. 

So, here's to 10 hour days for writing. Here's to working out almost everyday. Here's to proving my advisor that I'm stronger than he thinks I am. He's to moving on with my life, because I'm done with old bullshit. 

lXiRpeT3NrPTzLn6o.gif

• Like 1

- — Thister — -

Week Three

Goals Met

• Did Bodyweight Brigade A and B, and now I'm at 11 of 21 workouts. (Though, slight modification on this as I go into the fourth week. See the most recent post.)
  • Ran intervals once. Did a 10k run. Also did 30 minutes on the Stair Master. That's three more to add to the goal. So, 7 out of my 12 cardio workout goal. 
  • I'm at about 13 pages. I'm behind task because friends were in town this weekend and I didn't do any writing. I did do some editing one evening, but that was about it. Trust me, I'm going to have two chapters done before the end of this challenge. Fueled partially by fury, but also by the knowledge that I am better than the conception my advisor has of me.

Lessons Learned

• Learned that sometimes it is best to just go with the flow and enjoy the time you have with friends. 
  • Learned that I am capable of moving forward and getting work done, even when distracted. I'm not at my most productive, but I still got work done.
  • Learned that I need to be stand up for myself more and have a stronger sense of self and not be afraid of offending others or upsetting them by what I say or do. I am not responsible for how others feel or what they think. At the end of the day, I gotta do me. 

Measurements (Before and After, Top to Bottom)

• Neck
    • 14.8"
  • Chest
    • 39.8"
  • Bicep
    • 12.7" (I know! .2 BIG DEAL! Hahaha! ( >_< ) )
  • Waist
    • From 35.4 (Not a big drop here.)
  • Hip
    • ​38.6" (Minor change)
  • Thigh
    • 24.3" (Minor change)

Minor improvements physically, but they are noticeable. Really, though, the most noticeable changes I see are in my calf muscles and thighs. I see the muscle and I feel my pants and jeans fitting with more room, which I love. Now...if I could just get those damn abs everyone is raving about all the time. Guess those will come with effort, dedication, and time.

The only things I feel like I need help with are getting better form for push-ups (Any advice, seriously! I think I'm getting better, but I'm like a T-Rex with these arms.) and learning to let go of anger (because working out and meditation aren't quite cutting it in the ways they usually do). 

- — Thister — -

Week Four

Goals Met

• Did Bodyweight Brigade A and B, and now I'm at 14 of 20/21 workouts. 
  • Did yoga once. Also did 30 minutes on the Stair Master. And did 25 minutes on the bike. That's three more to add to the goal. So, 10 out of my 12 cardio workout goal. 
  • I'm at about 18 pages as of tonight, but I'll be done with one chapter by the middle of this week. Then it's on to the next one. I'm on fire and I will show my advisor and committee that I mean business.

Lessons Learned

• Learned that rest days are necessary after long runs, so I'll always rest a full day after that. I really should've learned that last week. DON'T OVERDO IT, DAMN IT!
  • But I also learned that sometimes your body is capable of more than you think, so you do have to trust your body and mind to know that you can also do without rest on a day too.
  • Learned that I am a fucking badass because I'm writing, grading, learning coding skills, volunteering, and working out, and I'm not giving a flying fuck about my advisor while I do all of this because I'm doing it for me.
  • Reaffirmed by the belief that I have some fucking amazing friends. And I am excited that I'll be celebrating my 30th with a few of them in March. 

Also...for extra burn, I'm throwing a kettle bell set in on my "A" days. It's not that intense and I can do 8-10 reps in a set of three without much difficulty with a 10 pound kettle bell. ONWARD!

- — Thister — -

Week Five

Goals Met

• Switched it up to the Dumbbell Division L2 and did A, B, A; now I'm at 17 of 20/21 workouts. I actually like the dumbbell division a lot more, too. I feel like I'll be sticking with L2 until I can lift, bench, snap 25 pounds for a whole routine (OR do a full set of pull-ups unassisted). 
  • I ran twice this week. One 5 miler, and one 3 miler. Those runs felt great, too. That's two more to add to the goal. So, 12 out of my 12 cardio workout goal. (In other words, done with that goal! But, of course, I'm still going to run, swim, or bike next week. I really want to go swimming, so I've gotta get on that.)
  • One chapter basically done (24 pages with maybe 2-4 more to write). One chapter with some moderate revisions to work through (4 pages total to work on). One chapter with 12 pages to revise (out of 34 total). I'm totally going to have these done before I meet with my advisor, and I'm totally going to show him up.

Lessons Learned

• I love running. I do need to mix up my cardio more, though. Swimming is a must for the next week. 
  • Writing and revising are part of the same game. When fueled by fury, you may be able to do a lot, but you must still be careful to me clear, which is why I'll be spending the week after the challenge re-reading my chapters to edit one last time before I send them on to my advisor.
  • Repairing a car is a bit of a workout. I replaced the door handle to my car and it was a bit more involved than I thought it would be. Replacing a tire is SO easy compared to a door handle. Who knew? 
  • I still need to let go of my anger toward my advisor. I've been journaling and I've talked with friends. I've also, obviously, worked out a ton. I've done meditation too. All of it has helped a little, but the anger still lingers below the surface. So...I am still working on it. Any advice is appreciated. 

1QrXZWEhXUIes.gif

- — Thister — -

(This space reserved for final updates)

- — Thister — -

Hey thister!    Welcome!

I like the direct approach to your goals. Very definite and really quite measurable. Great.

I'm assuming you meant earning a grade of C for writing your dissertation should be for a reward of + 3 WIS, not +3 DEX (although your pen muscles may be quite agile by then/or typing fingers).

Feel free to ask questions and pop in on folks. The mini will be up by tomorrow morning as soon as yours truly gets her act in gear.

• Like 1

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

Good catch! I'll revise that. Must've been from copying it over from one of the lines above.

All the typing is killing me. Maybe that's why my advisor makes me edit so often! Blurgh.

I'm currently finishing up some weekly announcements for my students in my online course and revising quiz and exam questions. I don't want to have to do these things during the semester so I can just focus on my schedule, my writing, and my workout goals. Streamline it!

Thanks for stopping by, Teriantum! 

• Like 1

- — Thister — -

Thanks buddy! I'll sub to your challenge thread and we can cheer each other on with our running goals.

Speaking of which, I just looked up color run races. That's on the bucket list in the running category. ;-)

• Like 1

- — Thister — -

A color run would be so fun! I wonder if there are any close? I went of my first run of the new year and it went pretty well. I am still at a run/walk, but it felt good, so that's encouraging. Excited to be journeying with you!

• Like 1

Level 7 Valkyrie Scout

STR 8 | DEX 7 | STA 10 | CON 7.5 | WIS 13 | CHA 12

Challenges: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th
Battle Log

"It's never too late to be what you might have been" - George Eliot

Great goals- you've got a great plan in place to accomplish everything. I also did a Color Run and will jump on the bandwagon that says that it's awesome. 

• Like 1

Currently Walking / Biking / Hiking to Mordor 

On my way to Rivendell: 208.14 / 458 miles 

"I learned this, at least, by my experiment: that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours." Henry David Thoreau, Walden

The Awesome Runner's Awesome Running Blog

Sweet! I'm looking into the color run when it comes out West. I've wanted to do one for a while.

Got some updates here:

1. My apologies for not updating on day one or two. The battery was dying on my Mac and needed service and I had to get it in before the 10th, because that's when my warranty expires. So, I was AFK for the last two days, but I'm here for good now!

2. Here are my workouts so far:
    • Day One:
      • Bodyweight Brigade L2, A: Fully completed with a warm-up and cool down. I also attempted to do the Squat Thrusts, but found that only one round of those was gonna fly on day one. (Approximately 520 calories burned.)
    • Day Two:
      • Desert Yoga for 45 Minutes: I use Pocket Yoga on my iPhone and I love the Desert and Mountain yoga styles on the app. Desert style is really relaxing and meditative. I like to do it at least twice a week. (Approximately 262 calories burned.) 
    • Day Three:
      • Bodyweight Brigade L2, B: Whew! This was a bit of a challenge, but not because it was terribly different than "A"; rather, jumprope after reverse crunches was harder than I thought it would be. Apparently I'll need to work on jumprope just a bit. I think I was jumping a bit too high during the first two rotations, but I got it down better on the third. (Approximately 543 calories burned.)
      • Balance Mini-Challenge: I did this after 10 minutes of rest from BBL2B (see above). It was a great exercise, actually. I got to level four, but soon struggled keeping balance with my eyes closed. Still, it was fun! I am definitely doing this again as part of my warm-up routine before I go running tomorrow. 
  3. Writing is going well! I've gotten three pages done. I plan to write a little more today to reach four to four and a half. The quality isn't stellar at the moment, but I keep reminding myself that this is what the revision process is for. Writing is revising, as my advisor often says. Boy, am I learning that. A lot.

4. Random: Any advice for fighting late-night cravings? Apparently the holiday season has me hankering for sweets before bed. I gave into them last night by eating three mini York peppermint patties. >_<  It's not a common thing, but I know I need to avoid those cravings because it can start habits that I don't want.

Looking forward to my interval run and stair-stepping tomorrow! Let's hope I can keep up with these goals. (I keep thinking about that reunion and how I want to wow everyone. It's been ten years, after all!)

• Like 2

- — Thister — -

"Writing is going well! I've gotten three pages done. I plan to write a little more today to reach four to four and a half. The quality isn't stellar at the moment, but I keep reminding myself that this is what the revision process is for. Writing is revising, as my advisor often says. Boy, am I learning that. A lot."

YES YES YES!

Cravings are tough to conquer for sure especially before bed. Normally I'd say drink a bunch of water, but nighttime might not work well for you. How is your bladder? You might also do a small meditation (I like to do a walk through of my apartment before going to bed). I suppose you could brush your teeth before your cravings normally kick in and maybe that will help some.

If you find something that works for you, please share.

Good Luck!

• Like 2

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

Thanks for the advice, Terinatum! 

I think if I can get to bed earlier and get into the habit of drinking a chamomile tea before bed and before brushing my teeth, then I might be able to stave off the cravings. I really think its due to all the crazy eating and snacking during the holiday season, especially on NYE. Food overload. 

9dTzXZY6qncBO.gif

I'll get there. I'll keep y'all posted about the progress.

• Like 2

- — Thister — -

Day Four

• Biked for 25 minutes on a stationary bike. (Let's be real! It's too cold outside and the air quality isn't that great here.) (Approximately 400 calories burned.)
  • Stair Climbed for 20 minutes on an interval regiment. (Approximately 250 calories burned.)
  • Ran intervals for 10 minutes. Average pace of 9:35 ppm. Wasn't quite up for 15 minutes as I originally planned, but I'm still counting it as a success because I did so much cardio today. With 10 minutes of warm-up walking and 10 minutes of cool down walking. (Approximately 293 calories burned.)

I think next time I'll either bike or run. It's a lot to take on to do both, and, really, I know it is overload. So, I'll slightly revise my running challenge to include biking as a substitute at times, but with a stronger preference for running.

Tomorrow is Bodyweight Brigade L2 A again. I'm hoping I'll be less winded by the third rotation as I continue to progress with it. The first time wasn't bad, but the by the end of the third rotation I knew I was ready to be done.

• Like 1

- — Thister — -

Yea, that's a lot o cardio!

Wise decision.

Circuits are wonderfully brutal. And when you get further than the last time, you feel really awesome, like a true badass!

• Like 1

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

Day Five

• Did Bodyweight Brigade L2 A. Much smoother this time! Really, there wasn't anything that left me too winded and I was able to feel at rest with the cooldown.
  • Did the balance mini again just for fun. I keep getting to level four, but keeping my eyes closed and balancing only lasts for about 18-20 seconds still.
  • I'm doing Desert Yoga for 45 minutes tonight from my Pocket Yoga app. Just want to get some extra stretches in before I do an interval run tomorrow and do stair climbing.
  • Got 6.5 pages down. A little behind, but not bad.

KEtgWlYYoN6Ni.gif

All in all, doing great! I'm going to do my measurements again this weekend, though I doubt much will have changed. I just want to keep tabs on things.

• Like 3

- — Thister — -

Day Six

• Ran progressive intervals today for 15 minutes. Average pace was 9:45 ppm. Smooth, easy run and I didn't feel winded at all. 
  • Ran 10 minutes at 9:45 ppm, just to keep up with the pace of things.
  • Walked for 20 minutes. 10 for warm up and 10 for cool down.
  • Stair Climbed for 25 minutes, because I am just a little crazy about my workouts.

My polar says I burned 1300+ calories, but I don't know about that. At least I can say I feel good about what all I did today.

I've got the drive to keep up like this, and I will stick with it! Damn it!

Tomorrow is Bodyweight Brigade L2 B and, possibly, some yoga. I'll keep you posted and share measurements. Doubt much has changed, but, again, I need a baseline.

Hope y'all are doing well!

• Like 3

- — Thister — -

Day Seven

• Did Bodyweight Brigade L2 B. It was great! I didn't feel winded at all and I actually enjoyed the jump rope this time around. I still need to work on not jumping as high, but I'm getting the hang of it. I usually do this whole workout barefoot on a yoga mat on top of carpet, so I know I have stability, it's just that I jump a bit too high at times. I get my Vibram's tomorrow, though, so I'm think that will help with adding a bit of weight to my feet to force me not to jump as high. Or maybe not. We'll see.
  • I still might do some yoga tonight two hours or so before bed. I think it really helps my muscles relax after the circuits. OR I may do it tomorrow as my only "workout".

Ok. Tomorrow is going to be a rest day for me, unless I do yoga. Either way, it's gonna be a chill day. 

Week one is done! 

WxzmC0qC2yCQ0.gif

So, now I'm going to update my week one post on page one with measurements and progress.

• Like 3

- — Thister — -

HUZZAH! 

It looks like to KICKED BUTT this week! Go Team!

Carry all that rad momentum forward and continue to crush those goals.

Also - i am super-duper impressed at your commitment to cardio. You need to share that motivation.

week-in-review-darren-criss-gifs-awesome

• Like 1

Level 7 Valkyrie Scout

STR 8 | DEX 7 | STA 10 | CON 7.5 | WIS 13 | CHA 12

Challenges: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th
Battle Log

"It's never too late to be what you might have been" - George Eliot