stillskies hangs out in castle oblivion and twilight town

stillskies

Oh hai. This is my first challenge with the monks! And let me tell you, picking a guild actually gave me some serious anxiety and actually almost made me decide to skip the challenge. >.> Decisions? What are those? I’M NO GOOD AT THOSE.

Ahem.

MAIN QUEST: Get to my goal weight and be able to defend myself in the (unlikely) event of an attack.

QUEST 1: Survive Larxene (+3 STR, +3 DEX)

tumblr_mylnj55u491qgzle0o5_500.gif

Whether it’s training with her as Roxas, or fighting her as Sora, Larxene is one tough cookie. And she’s fast. And probably versed in, like, the Heartless equivalent of Krav Maga. (No, seriously, you should have seen me trying to beat her the first time I played re:CoM. It was a massacre.)

CHALLENGE 1: Within the first two weeks of the challenge, figure out what kind of disciplines I'm interested and request info from various dojos/clubs/gyms/whatever.

PASS: Disciplines looked into, dojos/clubs/gyms/whatever info requested   FAILDisciplines not looked into, dojos/clubs/gyms/whatever info not requested

CHALLENGE 2: Once the above challenge is completed, go to classes at least once a week.

A: 4+ classes attended  B: 3 classes attended  C: 2 classes attended

QUEST 2: Help Sora Open All the Doors (+4 TBA based on classes taken)

tumblr_mn0q7spT0X1rnfpm0o1_250.gif

Sora and I are completionists, you see, and we know that sometimes opening a door equals finding a save spot and a treasure chest with a new card pack. And since my gym offers a bunch of classes, but the only class I ever attend is Zumba, I’m pretty much always using a Stagnant Space card. Time to use my other map cards.

CHALLENGE: Attend one other class that is not Zumba once a week. If I find a class I like, then I’ll just keep going to it. If I find a class I don’t like, then I’ll try a new one the next week.

A: 6 non-Zumba classes attended B: 5 non-Zumba classes attended C: 4 non-Zumba classes attended

QUEST 3: Eat Seasalt Ice-Cream With Axel (+2 CON)

tumblr_inline_n2k47uHHkS1rjbxgt.gif

Let’s face it, without Axel constantly shoving ice-cream in Roxas’ face, the poor Nobody wouldn’t have eaten a damn thing. And me and Roxas kind of have that in common….

CHALLENGE: Eat at least 700 calories before 5pm during the workweek. This should include breakfast, lunch, and at least one snack.

A: 700 calories 5 days B: 700 calories 4 days C: 700 calories 3 days

LIFE QUEST: Don’t Forget Xion and Namine (+3 WIS)

giphy.giftumblr_mk2107nOUQ1qeup67o1_500.gif

Castle Oblivion kind of likes to steal everyone’s memories (for good reason), and let’s face it, Sora is kind of the black hole of hearts and memories. So, I need to sharpen my memory skills and make sure that I can get to floor 13 and remember who my somebody is.

CHALLENGE 1: Take 1 practice GMAT test a week

A: 6 practice tests taken B: 5 practice tests taken C: 4 practice tests taken

CHALLENGE 2: Spend at least one consecutive hour a week learning Russian

A: 1 hour  B: :45 minutes C: :30 minutes

Point breakdown:

STR : 3

DEX : 3

STA : 0

CON : 2

WIS : 3

CHA : 0

4 pts tba

REWARDS:

A overall: Dinner at Texas de Brazil

B overall: A nice new dress that fits

C overall: A new pair of flats

MOTIVATION: Hit that goal weight! Be awesome! Learn some zen because damn if I don’t need it. Don’t be afraid when I’m running on the streets because damn are people creepy.

Before pictures:

e4d1ac16-2ec0-48ae-a5cf-e2d8f6e52690_zps20150104_195432_zps5ad4d992.jpg20150104_195450_zps534c543e.jpg

Measurements:

Neck: 13.7

Chest: 38.7

Waist: 34.3

Hips: 42.2

Thigh: R: 24.7  L: 24.8

Calf: R: 16.3 L: 16.2

Bicep: R: 12.5 L: 12.4

Weight: 174

Dress/pants size: 10

• Like 5

CHALLENGES: CURRENT111098765432, 1

📷 📚

watching_you_cat.png

• Like 2

Race: Were-Jaguar | Class: CodeMONKey

Level: 18 | STR: 46  | DEX: 41  | STA: 35  | CON: 51  | WIS: 57 | CHA: 47

Spoiler

---

Challenges: CURRENT

18TH | 17TH | 16TH 15TH 14TH | 13TH | 12.5TH | 12TH | 11TH |

10TH | 9TH | 8TH 7TH | 6TH | 5TH | 4TH | 3RD | 2ND | 1ST

Accountbilbuddies: Artists unite for March/April 2017!

---

"Everyone's the same height when you punch them hard enough"

---

NF Character Profile | BATTLE LOG | Tumblr | DeviantArt | Warhammer 40k Shenanigans

O hai!

Found you! 

Was wondering where you were gonna end up!

Subbed

• Like 1

Bjorn

Dwarven Ranger 2

Str. 2 Dex. 1 Con. 3 End. 3 Wis. 1 Cha. 1

Stronglifts 5x5

Squat (% of 270)

30%
30%

Deadlift (% of 360)

32%
32%

Overhead Press (% of 120)

50%
50%

Bench Press (% of 200)

32.5%
32.5%

Barbell Row (% of 180)

47%
47%

Man, my inbox nearly exploded after following your last challenge.  The poor thing has only just recovered, but a monk's gotta monk.

While you are searching for a dojo of your very own, here are some questions to ask yourself as you investigate.

• Do I want to compete at all?  Many martial arts have an active competition scene and individual clubs cater to that more and less than others.
  • What do I want my martial art to look like?  Every martial art has its own particular focus and your preferences are key.
    • Punching?
    • Kicking?
    • Grappling?
    • Throwing?
  • Do I care whether it is an internal or external martial art?
    • Internal arts are as much about mental and spiritual awareness as the physical movements.  Just try to practice tai chi without getting your zen on.  Go on.  I dare you.
    • External arts focus much more heavily on the physicality of the art.  Karate is the most notable of these, though not always.  
  • How does the club make me feel when I'm inside?  Any reputable martial arts club will let you come for a free session to see if you like it.  This gives you the clear message of what the social environment of the club looks like and how the instructors interact with the students.
  • Can I see myself doing this martial art?  This may seem like a strange question to ask yourself, but your own personal bias will inform your choice.  For example, I could never practice karate because I had some bad experiences with karate clubs in the past and it just doesn't sit well with me.  Listen to your own mind.  

Finding a martial art is a very personal choice.  There is no wrong answer.  The right answer is one that makes you feel good.

• Like 5

Half-Giant Monk

current challenge

"Promote yourself, but do not demote another." Yisroel Salanter

O hai!

Found you! 

Was wondering where you were gonna end up!

Subbed

O hai! :D You did find me! And yeah, you should have seen me last weekend. I was like, I'M NOT GOING TO DO A CHALLENGE BECAUSE I'M NOT GONNA PICK A GUILD SO THERE :tongue:

Now to go and sub you~

*crashlands* 

For an aerospace engineer, you sure suck at flying. <3

Man, my inbox nearly exploded after following your last challenge.  The poor thing has only just recovered, but a monk's gotta monk.

While you are searching for a dojo of your very own, here are some questions to ask yourself as you investigate.

• Do I want to compete at all?  Many martial arts have an active competition scene and individual clubs cater to that more and less than others.
  • What do I want my martial art to look like?  Every martial art has its own particular focus and your preferences are key.
    • Punching?
    • Kicking?
    • Grappling?
    • Throwing?
  • Do I care whether it is an internal or external martial art?
    • Internal arts are as much about mental and spiritual awareness as the physical movements.  Just try to practice tai chi without getting your zen on.  Go on.  I dare you.
    • External arts focus much more heavily on the physicality of the art.  Karate is the most notable of these, though not always.  
  • How does the club make me feel when I'm inside?  Any reputable martial arts club will let you come for a free session to see if you like it.  This gives you the clear message of what the social environment of the club looks like and how the instructors interact with the students.
  • Can I see myself doing this martial art?  This may seem like a strange question to ask yourself, but your own personal bias will inform your choice.  For example, I could never practice karate because I had some bad experiences with karate clubs in the past and it just doesn't sit well with me.  Listen to your own mind.  

Finding a martial art is a very personal choice.  There is no wrong answer.  The right answer is one that makes you feel good.

Ahahaha. I'm not even sure why my first challenge exploded, to be fair???? I blame the Kingdom Hearts theme.

Ooh. Those are definitely helpful questions! I was debating posting a question about how to pick a martial art in the martial arts forum since I legit have no clue what to do. But looking at those questions...

• Not particularly all that interested in competing. I'd like to do it more for fun and fitness, and to be able to defend myself, if necessary.
  • Kicking and throwing, probably. I don't really have the upper body strength at the moment for punches to be effective, or to be able to grapple without it being a laughable attempt.
  • External. Definitely external. 
  • All of the ones I'm looking at offer a free class or two. The Jiu Jitsu studio I was looking at gives a free 30 days. But this is a good point; I tend to rush into decisions just to get them over with. I didn't consider club environment. 
  • Like 2

📷 📚

Look up capoeira! I practiced it in high school. It is wicked fun

Very low contact but can be high intensity and aerobic....

It is more or less break dance fighting, but don't let that intimidate you... So much fun

Bjorn

Dwarven Ranger 2

Str. 2 Dex. 1 Con. 3 End. 3 Wis. 1 Cha. 1

Stronglifts 5x5

Squat (% of 270)

30%
30%

Deadlift (% of 360)

32%
32%

Overhead Press (% of 120)

50%
50%

Bench Press (% of 200)

32.5%
32.5%

Barbell Row (% of 180)

47%
47%

Ooh, ooh, martial arts.  My ex-martial artist self is jumping with excitement!  (Or maybe that's just me slowly thinking hhhmmmm maybe I should take up classes again.)

I like the stepping out of your comfort zone to try new classes.  That's a big shortcoming and scary spot of mine...

GOOD LUCK!!! :D

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 50 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

»  kom starkru

Ooh, ooh, martial arts.  My ex-martial artist self is jumping with excitement!  (Or maybe that's just me slowly thinking hhhmmmm maybe I should take up classes again.)

Maybe you should.  And become a monk.  :D 

• All of the ones I'm looking at offer a free class or two. The Jiu Jitsu studio I was looking at gives a free 30 days. But this is a good point; I tend to rush into decisions just to get them over with. I didn't consider club environment. 

Club environment is one of those things that can turn an art you love into a trial.  Politics, negative attitudes from senior students or instructors, or just plain personality conflicts.  Drama, my eternal nemesis...

• Like 1

Half-Giant Monk

current challenge

"Promote yourself, but do not demote another." Yisroel Salanter

Look up capoeira! I practiced it in high school. It is wicked fun

Very low contact but can be high intensity and aerobic....

It is more or less break dance fighting, but don't let that intimidate you... So much fun

Huh. That sounds interesting. I'll have to look it up.

I like the stepping out of your comfort zone to try new classes.  That's a big shortcoming and scary spot of mine...

GOOD LUCK!!! :D

You should do eet~! :D

Yeah. I'm fond of routine. Very fond of it. XD 

THANK YOU~!

Club environment is one of those things that can turn an art you love into a trial.  Politics, negative attitudes from senior students or instructors, or just plain personality conflicts.  Drama, my eternal nemesis...

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of drama. I just want to go work out and then go home. I don't have the time or energy to deal with politics. :(

📷 📚

Related to club environment, one thing that's not on 7FG's list that might be important: when you're looking to see how they treat women who train, also look to see how many of the senior students or instructors are women.  If there aren't any senior women, they're telegraphing a problem with the club - there's a reason they're not staying to get promoted, or, at the least, they just aren't the priority of the instructors.  Most clubs I've seen are incredibly careful to be good environments for everyone, regardless of gender or background or body type or ability - a good dojo is one of the most supportive and welcoming training environments you'll ever find - but there are enough that aren't that it's worth keeping an eye out.

• Like 2

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

Ooh, I'm trying to settle on my fighting discipline as well! Hope you find something good—and drama-free :)

Good luck! I just requested some information from a club that does capoeira, and I'll probably look at the Brazilian Jiu Jitsu place near my house. For some reason, though, the website isn't working. :( Do you have an idea of what you want to do?

Related to club environment, one thing that's not on 7FG's list that might be important: when you're looking to see how they treat women who train, also look to see how many of the senior students or instructors are women.  If there aren't any senior women, they're telegraphing a problem with the club - there's a reason they're not staying to get promoted, or, at the least, they just aren't the priority of the instructors.  Most clubs I've seen are incredibly careful to be good environments for everyone, regardless of gender or background or body type or ability - a good dojo is one of the most supportive and welcoming training environments you'll ever find - but there are enough that aren't that it's worth keeping an eye out.

That's a good point, and one I didn't consider, as well. I'll definitely pay attention to that when I start looking. I really would rather not feel uncomfortable when I go to classes - that's a surefire way to make sure I stop going.

📷 📚

50296-Kingdom_Hearts_-_358-2_Days_(US)(M

It's okay, Roxas. Larxene is just a meanie pants.

DAY 001

Back to the daily grind. Have to say, I was kind of glad to go back to business as usual at work, and just in life in general. The holidays are stressful and routine breaking, and thinking back on it, I'm just glad that I managed to get my ass to the gym at least 4x/week during the last two weeks of December. Although, the end of the holidays brings out the dreaded Resolutioners. I went to the gym this afternoon to see a bunch of people I've never seen at the gym, and my ellipticals were taken, and then when I went to lift weights after my cardio, the weight area was packed. I had to do some special maneuvering to do my front barbell squats without hitting anyone.

And then some friggin' Unversed was hogging the Smith machine, so I couldn't do my bench press. (We don't have a proper rack at the gym at work due to liability issues.) So I ended up putting together a dumbbells circuit on the fly (ouch), then did a core circuit. It all worked out in the end, but I'll be glad when the gym goes back to business as usual, let me tell you.

Today's workout, for anyone who cares/is interested:

20 mins running (5.0-6.2 pace) 

5x5 barbell front squats (45lbs)

Circuit 1

3x10 lat raises (8lbs first set, 5lbs last two sets)

3x10 dumbbell press (24lbs - two 12lb dumbbells)

3x10 front dumbbell raises (5lbs)

3x10 skullcrushers (12lbs)

Circuit 2

3x30 Russian twists (10lb ball)

3x10 forearm knee tucks 

3x15 weighted glute bridges (10lbs)

3x :30 plank

10 one legged glute bridges, each leg

5 mins stretching

On a different note, I hate the treadmill. I used to love it, and then last challenge, I made it a point to run outside 2x/week. Now I prefer to run outside. I got on the treadmill this afternoon (the only free cardio machine; for serious, the damn row machines were taken, and nobody uses those), and the twenty minutes I had allotted for cardio dragged. on. for. days. Once the 20 minutes had passed, I went for another two minutes to get that last quarter mile. What can I say? I wanted the nice, even 2 miles. I have a thing about numbers... 

Anyway! Challenge progress:

QUEST 1 Requested some information from a studio that does capoeira at Firefly's suggestion - they meet twice a week on Tues/Thurs at 7pm in Boulder. If I don't hear back from them by the end of the week, I'll just show up next week and get the information myself. Going to probably stop by the local jiu jitsu studio on Saturday unless their website comes back up. Probably going to post in the martial arts forum to see if anyone has suggestions - before very recently, the only kinds of martial arts I knew of were karate, tae kwon do, kung fu, and tai chi. So, I figure this might be a good way to get a bunch of opinions. And thanks to 7FG's questions to ask myself, and SaraKingdom's addendum to it, I think I'll know some good questions to ask. :)

QUEST 2 Haven't signed up for a class yet, but I'm debating doing the Pure Strength class on Weds. I did it last week - it was literally the only class being offered due to the holidays - and survived it. I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it, either. I have to double check times, though; a bunch of meetings were added to my calendar at work (I'm missing Zumba tomorrow, sad!). So, class times are going to limit my options this week. Le sigh. Go figure.

QUEST 3 Ate 750 calories by 12:30pm, so safe to say I met this one. However, since I gymmed so late, I was starving afterwards. Might need to tweak how quickly I eat. I'm still getting used to my body telling me it's hungry - I have some serious eating problems, so the fact that my body can tell me that is a huge improvement. Now I just need to learn to pace things out...

LIFE QUEST Ahahaha. Probably going to take my first GMAT practice test on Saturday (that thing is supposed to take at least 3 hrs, so doing it after work is a huge no-no). As for the Russian... My textbooks are downstairs, and I'm upstairs, and I'm lazy. I'll probably use Wednesday nights before my standing Buffy date to get that in. I'm trying to find a website that I can play around in while at work so that I can get some practice in there, as well. Idk yet, though.

Woo! Day 1 done! :D (And look! I even remembered to update! Bets on how long it takes before daily updates become every-few-days updates??)

• Like 2

📷 📚

...On a different note, I hate the treadmill. I used to love it, and then last challenge, I made it a point to run outside 2x/week. Now I prefer to run outside. I got on the treadmill this afternoon (the only free cardio machine; for serious, the damn row machines were taken, and nobody uses those), and the twenty minutes I had allotted for cardio dragged. on. for. days. Once the 20 minutes had passed, I went for another two minutes to get that last quarter mile. What can I say? I wanted the nice, even 2 miles. I have a thing about numbers... 

Anyway! Challenge progress:

QUEST 1 Requested some information from a studio that does capoeira at Firefly's suggestion - they meet twice a week on Tues/Thurs at 7pm in Boulder. If I don't hear back from them by the end of the week, I'll just show up next week and get the information myself. Going to probably stop by the local jiu jitsu studio on Saturday unless their website comes back up. Probably going to post in the martial arts forum to see if anyone has suggestions - before very recently, the only kinds of martial arts I knew of were karate, tae kwon do, kung fu, and tai chi. So, I figure this might be a good way to get a bunch of opinions. And thanks to 7FG's questions to ask myself, and SaraKingdom's addendum to it, I think I'll know some good questions to ask. :)

Woo! Day 1 done! :D (And look! I even remembered to update! Bets on how long it takes before daily updates become every-few-days updates??)

Gotta say, not a fan of the treadmill, nor really a fan of running period.  But definitely running outside on a beautiful day is the best option.

I wonder if there is a capoeira studio closer to where I am.  Though I am not the dancing type, I remember reading up on it and thought it was an awesome martial art to learn.  Hmm interesting.  Good luck with the jie jistu and capoeira studio!

Pretty sure I'm not gonna update my challenge everyday, unless something went wrong.  But I'll still be stalking ya!

Race: Were-Jaguar | Class: CodeMONKey

Level: 18 | STR: 46  | DEX: 41  | STA: 35  | CON: 51  | WIS: 57 | CHA: 47

Spoiler

---

Challenges: CURRENT

18TH | 17TH | 16TH 15TH 14TH | 13TH | 12.5TH | 12TH | 11TH |

10TH | 9TH | 8TH 7TH | 6TH | 5TH | 4TH | 3RD | 2ND | 1ST

Accountbilbuddies: Artists unite for March/April 2017!

---

"Everyone's the same height when you punch them hard enough"

---

NF Character Profile | BATTLE LOG | Tumblr | DeviantArt | Warhammer 40k Shenanigans

Gotta say, not a fan of the treadmill, nor really a fan of running period.  But definitely running outside on a beautiful day is the best option.

I wonder if there is a capoeira studio closer to where I am.  Though I am not the dancing type, I remember reading up on it and thought it was an awesome martial art to learn.  Hmm interesting.  Good luck with the jie jistu and capoeira studio!

Pretty sure I'm not gonna update my challenge everyday, unless something went wrong.  But I'll still be stalking ya!

Yeah... I used to be totes cool with the treadmill, then I discovered running outdoors. Clearly there's no going back. 

There are a few capoeira studios in Denver, so if you want to check it out, you probably can? And thanks. I still need to actually, you know, go. XD

Fair. I tried to do daily updates last challenge, and then I failed. So. 

📷 📚