tinkerer engages the next gear

tinkerer

I just returned from visiting a friend in Grand Teton National Park. After seeing all 13,775 feet of grandeur I'm inspired to step up my mountaineering training. My friend also just sent me pictures of climbing Mt. Hood and Mt. St. Helens within three days of each other. As I can't be left behind it's time to accelerate the training program from the last challenge. I don't have a lot of time, so this isn't highly illustrated with gifs or punctuated with stories. Those are cool but I have to focus on the critical elements or else I burn out.

Goal Number One: The best training for climbing is climbing.

The goal is to go rock climbing at least once per week. In addition, I will accomplish other strength training (bodyweight mostly) workouts per week to achieve a total of 3 workouts per week. That is the metric. I previously accomplished breaking into 5.11 routes. This go-around will be focused on climbing a large volume of 5.10 and 5.11 routes with not as much of a focus on pushing the grade. Goal for a day's climbing is 5+ routes in the 10-11 range.

Goal Number Two: Improve lungs for high altitude work

Running is good for the lungs and good for the soul. I will go running for at least 3 miles 10 times this challenge. That doesn't sound like a lot but I don't want to ramp this one up too quickly and goal number one is a big time commitment.

Goal Number Three: Core training never hurts (except the next day)

Three days per week I'll do a morning workout (mostly on the rings) before or after work. This one is both both for looks and because a strong core is a great asset is climbing, and everything else.

Goal Number Four: Get a checkup and schedule follow-ups

I have an embarrassingly long list of things that I should probably ask a doctor about. I'll schedule an exam, go to it, and then schedule any follow up visits needed. One things is that I previously hurt my shoulder and it's not as better as I think it should be.

Goals and Points Summary

1) 3 Workouts/Week including 1 or more climbing day. 4 str for full credit. 2 str for 5/6 weeks. Any less is 0 points.

2) 10 Runs. 4 sta for 10 runs. 3 sta for 9 runs. 2 sta for 8 runs. 0 sta for less than 8 runs.

3) 3 Core Workouts/Week. 2 cha and 1 str for 6 weeks. 1 cha for 5 weeks. Any less is 0 points.

4) Visit a doctor. 3 con. No partial credit.

tinkerer
Level 14 Elven Blacksmith

current challenge - yearlong quest

14 13 12 11 10 9.1 9.0 8 7 6 5 4,2 4.1 4.0 3 2 1

Solid work dood.

Running does sound like a lot to me lol

Also the doctor one bravo! I know I kinda always have something in that area that lingers.  dentist, check ups, glasses etc.

Also thanks for the poke about getting a challenge up.  I will put mine up today also.

Good luck and happy new years buddy.

Kyliewyotie

Level 15 Coyote Tinkerer
STR 27  DEX 18  STA 15  CON 14  WIS 14  CHA 12

Current Challenge

I figured a good way to get started was to check maxes on the bodyweight exercises I used to do regularly. It's been over a year since I tried this stuff. In the meantime I've been rock climbing and running so it's not like I completely quit.

One set maxes

Pullups on Rings - 11 reps

Dips on Rings - 8

Pistol Squats - 12R, 9L*

Handstand Pushups - 8 (Holy crap, I didn't kill myself!)

Rings Rows - 16 (feet on ground, starting with shoulders 1' off ground. Need to start lower)

Rings Pushups - 11

*Probably could have done a couple more but my dad called at #8.

I was pretty tired today so might be able to surpass these another time. I'm happy as a starting point though. 1/3 workouts complete for the week!

Yesterday for abs I did a quick morning workout. I had good luck with a quick thing before work last challenge and want to continue that.

1:00 Front Plank

1:00 Side Plank, both sides

3x0:15 L Sit on Rings

tinkerer

Oh nice! Beautiful country up there. Did some backcountry fire work out of Lolo pass a few years back, heard wolves howling for the first time. My buddy got chased by a moose. It was unforgettable.

Sounds unforgettable! Moose are a lot scarier when you realize they are 10x your weight and just might trample you if they decide it would be a good idea. Between wolves, moose, and grizzly bears sometimes I think climbing is the safe part of being outdoors. I've still never been up Lolo Pass but it's on the motorcycle trip list for this summer.

• Like 1

tinkerer

I just returned from visiting a friend in Grand Teton National Park. After seeing all 13,775 feet of grandeur I'm inspired to step up my mountaineering training. My friend also just sent me pictures of climbing Mt. Hood and Mt. St. Helens within three days of each other. As I can't be left behind it's time to accelerate the training program from the last challenge.

That sounds amazing!  I'm sure you'll be out there, crushing some of those huge mountains in no time.  Are you aiming to be ready by the springtime?

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

Today's workout. Since I'm keeping track here and not in a notebook ANT is my note to self to add next time. I just started with 60% of maxes so there are a few of these.

Dips - 4, 5, 5 (ANT)

Rows - 7, 10, 10

Headstand Pushups - 4, 5, 5 (ANT)

Rings Pushups - 7, 7, 7 (ANT)

tinkerer

Nice, man. It's gorgeous up there! Be sure to check out the hot springs, and the Lochsa Lodge is a great place to sip on Moose Drool :)

Edit to add - you're pretty fast! 21 = pretty awesome for a training run in slush :)

Moose Drool is my favorite.

I really want to get my 5k time under 20 minutes (20:30 was a goal for last time which I didn't make).

That sounds amazing!  I'm sure you'll be out there, crushing some of those huge mountains in no time.  Are you aiming to be ready by the springtime?

Yes and no. I'm really shooting to be ready whenever. Some of the best climbs I've been on have been spur of the moment, the weather is right, let's go tomorrow kinds of things. I'd had to have an opportunity to climb Mt. Rainier and not be up to the challenge. But as far as actual plans go I'm looking to be climbing things once the good weather arrives.

tinkerer

You can do 20:00 - you're so close. My PR in high school was 20:23 and i wasn't any good LOL but I couldn't touch that time today, that's for sure!

Ever hear of the elephant's perch?  it's somewhere near you :) 1,000' of awesome looking granite. not my pic

Thanks! I just need to make running a priority in order to make that happen. It's tough trying to do several things at once!

WOW! That place looks amazing. It shouldn't be that far from here and is definitely on my list of places to check out now. Did you happen to grab the pic off the Mountain Project website? All I need to do is gather the courage to climb 1000 feet of 5.9 trad. To date I've led exactly 2 pitches of 5.6 trad.

tinkerer

Updates:

Went climbing on Friday night at the gym. Friday night is a terrible night to go because the college kids get a discount and overrun the place. Oh well. I climbed on five 5.10 routes. It was my first time back in about a month and was correspondingly disappointing. We're headed back tomorrow so hopefully the long-break blues are over.

Over the weekend I worked on the house for about 20 hours and did not go running or train. This blew one of my weekly goals. For this week only, I am allowing a make-up. If I get in  four core workouts that will satisfy the first two weeks. That's in the spirit of the my goals as I'm trying to improve consistency and not give up if I miss a workout, especially for being productive reasons (as opposed to sitting at a work desk). This is a one week only offer however.

Today I went running after work on a rat-wheel for 5k.

I need to figure out how to research a doctor.

Week 1 Summary:

1) 3 Workouts/Week 1/6 Weeks Completed

2) 10 Runs. 2/10 Runs Complete

3) 3 Core Workouts/Week. 0/6 Weeks Completed

4) Visit a doctor. 3 con. No partial credit. Incomplete

tinkerer

So far the week is going pretty well:

3 core workouts - on track to make up for last week

2 runs - one the aforementioned rat-wheel and one and icy 3 miler outside

1 climbing night and another scheduled for tonight

1 doctor located, next to make the dreaded appointment call.

Last time climbing my wife and I both overcame the "restarting climbing" hump and started climbing better toward the end of the night. We both had a really good time and are looking forward to getting back on the wall tonight.

tinkerer

Doctor, ewww.  

doctor.jpg

^^^Yep.  That.  I bet a lot of us are way behind in medical stuff that we should handle but would rather hide from. 

I'm glad the climbing is going well!

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

Let's see where I left off with the updates...I've spent the 3 day weekend working on the house (including the home gym) so I didn't post for a few days.

It looks like the workouts are captured. I also scheduled a doctor visit. Found a doctor who also climbs and runs so hopefully that will be of assistance in explaining why I need my shoulder to function, etc. I also got in 4 core workouts last week which allows me to check that off for the first two weeks.

Another quick core workout this morning. Tried to climb this evening but couldn't find anyone to go along so I did a home gym workout.

Workout

Feeling dead tired after a weekend of construction and a number of construction related beers. I really didn't want to do this but about the HSPUs I started to enjoy it.

Pullups - 6, 6, 6 - Played around with just using my fingertips. Almost fell on the last set so I think I was doing that correctly.

Dips - 6, 7, 7

Headstand Pushups - 5, 5, 5

Ring-Rows - 10, 10, 10

Rings Pushups - 8, 8, 8

Week 2 Summary:

1) 3 Workouts/Week 2/6 Weeks Completed

2) 10 Runs. 3/10 Runs Complete

3) 3 Core Workouts/Week. 2/6 Weeks Completed

4) Visit a doctor. 3 con. No partial credit. Incomplete, scheduled for next Friday.

Feeling pretty good about this progress!

tinkerer

Awesome 4 mile time! That's around what my pr is for 3.1 miles! How's the climbing going? I just went to climb on Thursday for the first time in a few months and found out the climbing gym is closing in a week! Bummer :( There's another one about 12 miles from the one I go to but unfortunately it's 12 miles further from my house so it will be kind of a trek to get out there since it already took me half an hour to get out to this one.  Anyways I'm gonna have to make it out every once in a while since it felt great to be climbing again! Hope your challenge is going well so far!

Injury Update - I went climbing with my wife on Sunday and was climbing pretty well. I had previously tackled a 5.11a with a fun overhanging start and a heel-hook to get over the bulge and onto the vertical section. (Heel Hook) The first go around I'd been able to pull up with my leg and reach the next hold. This time, on the 3rd try I pulled hard enough to pop something loose in my hip and called it a day. After some internet research (later confirmed by a doctor) I believe I've strained my hamstring.

For this week, I am modifying my goals to resting and icing my hamstring. (FYI, icing a hamstring means sitting on an ice pack. Brrrr!) I doubt that I will return to climbing or running next week but will see what a week of rest brings. I'm doing this by decreasing the goals for number of weeks by one and for number of runs by two.

The good news is that I actually did well last week:

Week 3 Summary:

1) 3 Workouts/Week 3/56 Weeks Completed

2) 10 Runs. 5/810 Runs Complete

3) 3 Core Workouts/Week. 3/56 Weeks Completed

4) Visit a doctor. 3 con. Incomplete, scheduled for next Friday. (Still, I thought last week was this week). Scheduled for Feb 6th.

tinkerer

Sorry to hear about the injury, but you're at least doing all of the right things.  Just rest it and let it heal, and I'm sure you'll be climbing again soon enough.  

In the meantime, you could always try a week of upper body and core focused exercises.

My tutorials: