Blaze Chooses Dauntless

Blaze

BRAVE

divergent-fall-o.gif

This is my keyword for 2015.  I happened to watch Divergent on New Year's Eve and picked up some inspiration from it on how to be BRAVE in the coming year.  And I'm reading the book right now, my first book of 2015.  The components of my keyword are Bold Bibliophile (read/write/try to get published), Romantic Renovator (cleaning and redecoration my home so dates can come over, and also, dating), Action Adventurer (zip-lining, rock-climbing, traveling, fun stuff), Victorious Volunteer (giving more of my time and talents to others, especially in my church), Energetic Enthusiast (losing weight, getting fit, and having fun doing it).  Working my way through all of that can be considered my Main Quest for the new year.  There are some specific goals in each category I've laid out for myself, not necessarily going to share all of those with the group, just the ones that apply here.  

For this first challenge, I'm starting from scratch.  I've ditched the attribute points because I'm not a gamer and they haven't done much to inspire me.  But there is a points system for initiates to Dauntless so I'm going to try and incorporate that into my goals for this challenge.  However, it's late and I need to get to bed, so goals will appear tomorrow.

Blaze the Bounty Hunter

Level 6 Lawful Neutral Human Ranger STR 11 / DEX 11 / CON 9 / INT 14 / WIS 11 / CHA 13

"All glory comes from daring to begin."  -   Eugene F. Ware

Dauntless wear a lot of black, so I went and bought myself some new black threads yesterday, with just a little bit of color thrown in for the flavor.  Assassins and Dauntless have that in common, but I'm not going to get a tattoo unless it's temporary.  Today I spent some time developing my Dauntless-themed goals and here they are.

Main Quest - Pass Level One of Initiation

There is a points system.  If I fail to reach a certain level of points, I do not advance to the next level.  

Catch the Train 

Continue to run 3 times per week.  I've slacked off with the running but I do not want to have to start from scratch the next time I decide to do a 5K, and in fact, I really want to get my pace to under 13 minutes so I can actually feel...  fast. -er.  

5 pts per run, 90 pts possible

Capture the Flag 

Take the stairs at work, up in the morning, down in the evening.  I can only go up three flights at work.  Down is fifteen flights plus.  I did that today.   ^_^  In the book, Tris observes that the Dauntless take the stairs, not as a selfless act so that others can ride the elevator, but just to be wild.  So I'm going to be wild.  I think I have a holiday, possibly two that will interfere with this system.  But I figure I can make up for it by taking multiple stairs at home or at the gym.

1pt for each flight, 60 pts possible.

Be Brave 

Hoop/Strength Training 3 times per week. 5 pts per session, 90 pts possible.

Side Quest

Commitment

Recommit to tracking my meals at least 3 days per week.  I lost 6 pounds in 2014.  It's better than nothing, definitely better than gaining, and I'm in One-derland now, but that's not good enough.  I'm in this program that worked for me pretty well when I first started.  Tracking is the key, I know it.  So I need to do it.

5pts per day, 90 pts possible

Life Quest

Environment

Ah, the never-ending quest to improve the quality of my surroundings.  I've actually had a little success in doing a make-over of my bathroom and maintaining reasonably well.  This year I'd like to gradually make-over, declutter, and awesome-ize the rest of my place.  For this challenge I simply pledge to clean at least 30 minutes per week.

5 pts per 10 minute block, 90 pts possible

Total points possible is 420.  To pass through to the next level, I need to get 300 or higher.  If I fail, I'll be factionless, an outcast from Society.  

ffd92cbb931e7904814213877679ccba.jpg  

But then again, if I stay they may find out I'm Divergent and kill me.  Decisions, decisions....

Blaze the Bounty Hunter

Level 6 Lawful Neutral Human Ranger STR 11 / DEX 11 / CON 9 / INT 14 / WIS 11 / CHA 13

Oy!  I've been working on this Hoop thing since I put it together on New Year's Day.  It's a 3-pound fitness hoop that came with a multi-tiered workout DVD.  And I've been looking through the videos and checking out how-to vids on YouTube, trying to master more than 4 rotations in a row.  On the second day I got up to 13.  Once, but then sucked for several days.  Today I figured out I was arching forward too much and started with my hips back for a more natural motion and what do you know!  I can hoop!  My best tonight was 50 rotations.  Yes, I'm going to keep counting until I do it so well that I lose count from keeping it going so long.   So I tried the warm-up, beginner work-out, and cool down this evening.  Followed along well on everything, still working on the actually hooping part but hey, I think I'm off to a good start.  The bruises across my belly have to count for something.

Took the stairs at work, up and down, both yesterday and today.  That's an easy one to do as long as I don't forget and thoughtlessly grab an elevator.  I also tracked my food today, so I'm starting to accumulate those points.  I don't want to get behind early or I'll never make it into Dauntless.

Blaze the Bounty Hunter

Went running tonight.  I'm faster than I used to be, pace-wise.  But I'm not at 5K level as far as stamina.  I also found an extra opportunity to take stairs at work, so yay for bonus points!

Blaze the Bounty Hunter

Tonight I figured out how to switch stance while I hoop, and how to spin around to stop the hoop.  ^_^

Blaze the Bounty Hunter

Totaling up the points I earned this week:

Catch the Train  

I ran twice, earning 10 of a possible 15 points.

Capture the Flag 

I took the stairs up and down every day and found an opportunity to squeeze in two more, earning 10 of 10 points, plus 2 bonus points.

Be Brave 

I did strength/cardio hooping three times this week, earning 15 of 15 points.

Commitment

I only tracked my meals 2 out of 3 days, earning 10 points out of 15 possible.

Environment

I may have waited until almost literally the 11th hour, but I did get in 30 minutes of cleaning tonight, so that's another 15 out of 15.

Result:  Out of 70 points possible for the week, I got 62.  Not too shabby for my first week with the new faction.  ^_^

Blaze the Bounty Hunter

I never posted my results for last week.  Didn't do quite as well as week 1 because some unexpected events threw me off on the weekend.  But I think I can make up for it this weekend.  I hooped twice, ran twice, took the stairs all 10 times, tracked 3 days, but only cleaned for 10 minutes.  So that gives me 50 out of 70 points possible.  

This week is going a bit better.  I'll try to remember to report my numbers on Sunday night.  But I'm hoping to add a little bit of rock climbing in, this weekend too.  ^_^

• Like 1

Blaze the Bounty Hunter

Tonight I ran 2 miles in 25:10.  That's a pace of 12:35  and that's the fastest I've ever run over that distance.  So Yay!  I'll be catching that train in no time.  ^_^

Blaze the Bounty Hunter