Nianne and her dragon play HabitRPG together

Nianne

How are you faring, Nianne?

I hope work is evening out now that resignation is over. Create whatever joy you can at work.

I'm glad you're helping your bro, but I hope you're not going nuts trying to 'clean up' for his sake. Your house, your rules.

Let us know how you are, ok? Thanks.

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

HabitRPG is really fun. It can keep you motivated to work on little things. For example, you can give yourself a point every time you focus on standing up straighter, or every time you eat a veggie. Giving yourself micro rewards and watching them add up can really get you into the fun of it.

I totally hit the wall with my energy levels. It doesn't look like I'm going to improve my PRs this weekend over two weeks ago. This is going to be my lowest-scoring challenge, stat wise, but I'm actually ok with that because I really have moved on from eating wheat and fast food altogether, which is completely new this year. I need to get better at sleeping well and giving myself enough healthy food to eat. I'm already working on turning things around in those areas and I think that'll be the focus of my next challenge. Right now I'm pretty much trying to get myself back up to a point where I'll be ready to rock and roll for the next challenge.

As far as work goes, everyone's still under a lot of stress. Our performance metrics are in the toilet, which puts us under the scuitiny of the sorts of higher-ups you never want to hear from. I've done all the complaining there is to do, got listened to about as much as can be expected, and now it's just time to be seen working hard and acting optimistic so that my attitude doesn't come up as one of the reasons we're not doing well.

Things went fine with the brother in law. He's pretty easy going. I was a bit nervous because he's got a stay-at-home wife who cleans and such, but one of my co-workers pointed out that he's probably more nervous about driving down to meet me and take up my time than I was to have him over, which seemed true. So I didn't worry too much about it and we had a good time. The math was fun to do as well. My co-workers were like, "Really you can do that?" But I was like, "Yeah, it's just like doing a crossword or something. No big deal."

And this isn't officially news yet, but I'm also late, lady-wise.

• Like 2

Level Three Oracle of Doom.

Level Eight Dragon Tamer, Warrior Dash participant. Trail runner.   Respawned.

I just read something that made me lol at myself. Every weekend I schedule myself to be productive basically from waking to sleeping, and around sundown on Sunday I start getting all pissed at myself because I accomplished about half of what I wanted to. So I was just reading something that said, 'If you keep running into a brick wall over and over, don't be all, 'It's not fair. There shouldn't be a wall there!' Stop pretending your nature's somehow different than it is. Figure out how to work with what you've got.'

So true.

• Like 1

Oooooo I hope it turns out for you as far as if you are or are not, you know.  

Congratulations on all that you achieved with your diet.  That is a big change and you nailed it early on in the year.  Simply awesome.  Have you felt any better since dropping the wheat and fast food?  I know it may be early to notice yet but curious.  

Okay that HabitRPG is sounding more and more fun to help tweak all sorts of things.  Does it take long to update?  By the way I do not have a cell so I have to do it when logged on to a computer...assuming you can track via cell which everything seems to have gone that way.  

Food Fight - current challenge

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

2015 - 22.5 bugs consumed

Chasing down the most awesome version of myself one step at a time.

The Character Battle Log 1 Daily Mile

HabitRPG is mainly a browser game. You just click the task in order to give yourself credit for it. You can use the phone app to carry around with you and click tasks as you go. Otherwise you have to wait until you get on the computer and remember how many clicks to give yourself for each task that day.

Challenge conclusions:

Well, this challenge definitely had its ups and downs.

Strength exercise: I did spend a lot of time working on my planking and pushups. Not as much as I was hoping to on the rows. I didn't see the results I was aiming for, but this is the first time I've set result-goals instead of action-goals, so I don't have much experience in making those reasonable. I did lose some steam in the last couple weeks of the challenge, but I did add quite a bit of time to my planking PR at my midway test. Importantly, I could definitely feel the difference the planks were making when I was out jogging. This was the first time I'd put focused effort into core exercises since learning to jog, and it seemed to make a difference in my form. Each of these exercises was worth its own maximum of three points. Out of the nine, I'm giving myself four. 

No Dessert: I graded myself very harshly here since I was aiming for a perfect run. As a result, I'm not taking any points from this goal. That doesn't actually mean I did badly, though. Overall I passed up the vast majority of the unhealthful eating opportunities I'd been presented with and my shopping habits have been much more mindful. My habits are improving, no question.

No Wheat: This was brand new this year. I completely gave up all wheat, including my habitual breakfast toast, and all fast food (even if it didn't include wheat). I didn't have quite a perfect score on this, but I did do very, very well. And, even though I may have given myself a bit of "low carb flu," I'm happy with the adjustments and I plan to stick with them. This goal was worth three constitution and two stamina.

Take-aways: If I want to work toward being able to do a pull-up, I'm going to have to find a way to get myself into position to work on my inverted rows more regularly. All this focus on healthy eating hasn't resulted in any weight loss, which is a bit unfortunate because it would be a nice benefit to trying to do a pull-up, but aside from that isn't a particular goal of mine. I've been focusing on getting to bed a little earlier, but so far my energy levels are still lower than usual. The bursitis on my hip has mostly cleared up. It's almost more of an itch than anything else. I talked to my doctor and she said in that case, get an ice pack and just deal with it. The process of getting over that has taken a toll on my running intensity and it seems like the best course of action is just to accept it and start over slow and steady.

• Like 3

We could add or change out something on our pvp to include inverted rows.  Say something along the lines of do them 3 or 4 days a week or more.  Whatever would help if it would help.  I have been slack on doing those and I want to get to doing pull ups.  

I often have a hard time when I set a result oriented goal vs action.  I try and figure out what I want to do such as cover 50 miles of biking a week for example.  Then I calculate what that would result in at the end of the challenge if it went perfectly.  Then I look at that and consider what would be challenging but more realistic based on cruddy weather or getting sick or so busy that you are lucky to have time to shower.  Theoretically that is what I do but I have yet to get it right.  Vague results goals work better at times for me.  Hey I would love to do 100 push ups but shoot doing more than the max I can do now is still freaking awesome and one step closer.  

• Like 1

Food Fight - current challenge

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

2015 - 22.5 bugs consumed

Chasing down the most awesome version of myself one step at a time.

The Character Battle Log 1 Daily Mile