ItsDaniel IV You know what you have to do. Do it.

Balthazar

"You’re gonna have to go through hell, worse than any nightmare you’ve ever dreamed. But when it’s over, I know you’ll be the one standing. You know what you have to do. Do it."

Hi everyone, my name is Daniel and this is my fourth challenge, I was going to head over to the Warriors Guild, but I enjoyed it here so much last time I thought I would stick around.

The quote above is from what in my opinion is one of the greatest and most motivational movies of all time - Rocky

Anyone who has stuck with me for a while now knows how much I love the Rocky films and use them to give myself the kick in the arse I sometimes need.

Well I thought it was about time I paid homage to Rocky and had a Rocky themed challenge. 

If you have been with me the last few challenges you'll know how I have been battling against the absolute mountain of BS that is online, offline and from people about the health and fitness industry. There is so much bad stuff out there it is hard to figure out exactly what to do and cut through the crap.

From multi-platform marketing companies AKA pyramid schemes - waddup Herbal Life, to supposed fitness magazines whose prescribed workouts are only possible if you are already in great shape and even then probably don't do much for you - the sheer amount of spurious information is unbelievable

And I have had many rants about this over my previous challenges.

Welp I think that fight is finally over and I now know what is going to work for me specifically, so I just gotta get on and do it

• Like 6

Quest One

"maybe some of you guys got something you never finished, something you really want to do, something you never said to someone, something"

Something I started last challenge but haven't finished is getting strong - fully, properly, genuinely strong.

I'm not talking pull ups, press ups and strength to bodyweight ratio

And I'm not talking how many reps or bicep curls I can do

I'm talking the traditional type of strength - squats, deadlifts, presses and bench presses

Those phenomenal whole body exercises that seem seldom spoken about in the fitness industry without involving some weird stuff involving bosu balls and weighted vests.

In my opinion these four exercises for me at this moment in time represent the best way for me to build total, whole body strength and they require nothing more than a barbell, weightplates, rack and bench

And the great news for me is because the fitness industry has scared us away from these exercises those areas are ghost town vacant at my gym.

So I'm going to spend these 6 weeks working through Starting Strength which means lifting 3 times a week.

At some point I will add a spreadsheet here to track progress

Unless something weird happens lifting days will be Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday 

• Like 5

Quest 2

"It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forwards"

Just before Christmas I did myself a mischief and undid a lot of the good work I had been doing on the torn tissue in my hips now I can't even walk a couple of streets without my hips beginning to ache so I have to start back at basics.

Good news is I have done this before so I know what I have to do which is slowly building up my walking and then jogging until I can do sprints again

Whilst I understand that in a pure strength program doing things on your rest days is sub-optimal and interferes with recovery, limiting the ability to make full gains this is a hit I am willing to take to get my mobility to better levels

So this quest means constantly increasing my distance and/or speed on my rest days - Monday, Wednesday and Friday until I can do sprints again.

The second part of this challenge is spending 15 minutes a day stretching my hips, quads and hammies

• Like 3

Quest 3

"Oh I made that up one night while I was eating dinner."

I'm on the other side now of my unhealthy relationship with food and it's been a tough old ride, I think I have done it all when it comes to food from meal replacement bars, to fad diets, to eating hardly anything and then binge eating, to despising grains and hating potatoes 

The last few challenges I have been getting my shit together with food and stop freaking out about it - now that relationship is back and solid I can start incorporating nutrition back in to my life.

For this challenge that will take the form of My Fitness Pal - I am aware of how inaccurate it is and all the things it doesn't take into account BUT it does make for a very convenient and easy to use rough ready reckoner of what is going in to me body and for now I am just looking at ball park areas.

So I plan on tracking every day of the challenge and trying to stay around my own predesignated calorie, protein, sodium, sugar intake.

• Like 5

Quest 4

"If you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth"

This was part of my last challenge but due to Christmas et al and overloading my challenge with too much stuff it didn't really happen.

The simple fact is I need more pennies. So this quest is all about making definitive progress towards that goal, I have a few ideas in mind that I am going to pursue

But in the mean time this quest means applying for 2 jobs a week

• Like 2

So you may have noticed that I haven't done stat points for this challenge - That's because I've done away with them

They didn't really mean anything to me personally and would just get me hung up about doing grade A perfect on all things all the time which was unrealistic.

What is important is whether I level or not because levelling represents a continuous results in making myself better

• Like 3

Oh man, I love the theme of your challenge. The Rocky 4 soundtrack is my go to playlist if I'm in need of some motivation on a run. I dare anyone not to sing along to Hearts on Fire or not to imagine you are in a montage during Training Montage. 

Subbed, obviously!

• Like 3

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

Oh man, I love the theme of your challenge. The Rocky 4 soundtrack is my go to playlist if I'm in need of some motivation on a run. I dare anyone not to sing along to Hearts on Fire or not to imagine you are in a montage during Training Montage. 

Subbed, obviously!

Great to have you hear

I just need to go find half a frozen cow to go punch ten bells of shit out of

Glad you decided to stick around with us Rangers.  Your challenge is phenomenal.  Each time you get a little closer to what perfect is for you.  That's great.  Sorry to hear your injury is acting up again.  At least you know what to do about it.  Take care with it.  

And I see you are taking the plunge with MyFitnessPal.  Hope that goes well for you.  

Subbing. obviously.   

• Like 1

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero

Level: 19 Ranger | STR 36 | DEX 29 | STA  35 | CON  43 | WIS 35 | CHA 23|

Spoiler

Epic Quest Avatar Lifting profile | D&D Character Sheet

Accountibillibuddies: Doodlies setting the world alight

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Current Challenge: Shello Finally Fitnesses (sort of) and does some other things

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Starting weight = 290.4; Current weight = 269; Total pounds lost: 21.4

so after the spiralling nose dive that was applying to join the American Football team I've signed my ass up for a different team sport.

Turns out we have a local Basketball team that has league play and casual play. Never played basketball before in my life but it's gotta be association football and should at least contribute towards improving my cardiovascular ability

even though it doesn't provide many of the skills I'll need for try outs again come this winter

• Like 2

I'm loving the theme. I've been feeling overdue for a rocky marathon, gonna have to take care of that soon. Good luck with starting strength, let me know how it goes for you. We will have to compare notes.

• Like 1

Level 1 Amazon, training with the Scouts.

STR 0|DEX 0|STA 0|CON 0|WIS 0|CHA 0

6 week challenge goal: 20 minute sustained run/jog

Glad you decided to stick around with us Rangers.  Your challenge is phenomenal.  Each time you get a little closer to what perfect is for you.  That's great.  Sorry to hear your injury is acting up again.  At least you know what to do about it.  Take care with it.  

And I see you are taking the plunge with MyFitnessPal.  Hope that goes well for you.  

Subbing. obviously.

Hey she'll, thank you for stopping by, so glad to have you on board

I'm loving the theme. I've been feeling overdue for a rocky marathon, gonna have to take care of that soon. Good luck with starting strength, let me know how it goes for you. We will have to compare notes.

Will totally have to compare notes.

Funny you mention a rocky marathon, I was just saying to a buddy the other day we need to set a day aside for rocky and steaks

Ah Rocky and weightlifting, i cant imagine a manlier challenge. Subbed.

Sent from my U8815 using Tapatalk 2

I know right, I'm upping my freaking game. Seeing all the distance you have come from when you got started has really got me fired up to get out there and kick some ass

Found you and subbed! Glad to see you're still here. I'm happy to be back for a new challenge. I've also done away with stat points - or at least pretty much. Looking forward to staying up to date with your progress.

Hey aces, so glad you came back, I'll swing by yours bread soon to say hey

• Like 1

Awesomeness! I'm looking forward to watching your stronglifts progress since I'm just starting out with it too.

I loved reading about your journey thus far and your inspiration. And also Rocky because ... Rocky.

Sent by TARDIS delivery service. Apologies for typos caused by interactions with the time vortex.

Awesome challenge, and great goals! The focus is really good and you have such a sensible and confident approach - love it!

I've done starting strength before and really enjoyed it, I'm sure you'll see some good results from it. I know I did!

And I'm with you on your food logging goal. I use a photo diary app for mine, since I stopped counting stuff about 6 months ago and that's working well for the moment. You'll surely get some useful data from MFP that can help you move forward.

AND - great job working your way through all the health industry BS! It makes me so mad that there's so much blatant mis-information being put out so people can make a quick buck off of others, especially when those others are genuinely trying to improve themselves or their lives. So, good on you - hopefully you'll inspire the people around you to do some of the same thinking and searching.

Subbed for a kick-ass challenge!

Warrior Princess
Eating Psychology Coach

Adventure's Guild Challenge winner: Challenge #24

â•‘ Live the Whole  â•‘ Bucket List â•‘Level up my Lifeâ•‘ 

"Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Every day you're alive is a special occasion."

Good to see you sticking around here man, shame about the hip trouble though.  Best of luck for the new challenge, I'll be watching to see how the Starting Strength goes as I'm planning on trying that for a future challenge.

Big Show: Human Swift Hunter

Respawning. One day at a time.

Battle Log: Operation Wedding Suit - Take 2

Previous challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 

Awesomeness! I'm looking forward to watching your stronglifts progress since I'm just starting out with it too.

I loved reading about your journey thus far and your inspiration. And also Rocky because ... Rocky.

Sent by TARDIS delivery service. Apologies for typos caused by interactions with the time vortex.

Hey Raxie so good to see you here!

I started out at the end of last challenge just working with a broom to get my form right, too many times in the past I have done my back a mischief by not deadlifting or squatting correctly

it was frustrating being surrounded by the iron and just using a wooden pole but the difference that good form makes is phenomenal, everything just feels so much easier and more "locked in" now

Signing on for the epicness. Sorry to hear you re-injured yourself. Best wishes for a swift recovery.

Heya - glad you made it. It was my own fault, I know what type of hip movement sets it off (apparently there are 3 different planes of movement for the hip) and I went overboard with that movement so only got myself to blame really

although like a hero I will also blame my father, because he was there and should have stopped me :-D

I love the Rocky theme.  Strength sounds like a good theme for a challenge.  I am trying the same idea, but taking a different way to get there, at least for this 6-week period.    Good luck in round 4!

Hey dude, it's great to see you here, been and checked out your thread and your goals look solid!

Good to see you sticking around here man, shame about the hip trouble though.  Best of luck for the new challenge, I'll be watching to see how the Starting Strength goes as I'm planning on trying that for a future challenge.

Hi thanks for stopping by, one day i'll get these freaking hips sorted but until then I just have to stretch, lose weight so I'm not taxing them so much and build a stronger frame.

If you attacked starting strength like you have your other challenges you'll be like Arnold in 6weeks