• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Gainsdalf the Whey

USAPL Pennsylvania State Powerlifting Championships

I intend to compete at the USAPL Pennsylvania State Powerlifting Championships at The University of Scranton in Scranton, PA, on April 18th so that I can post a qualifying total for the USAPL RAW Nationals on October 15th, which also happens to be at The University of Scranton this year. I wanted to post it up in case anyone else was interested in competing (it's an open, so open to everyone), or even just attending as a spectator. Registration hasn't opened yet, but will be HERE once it does.

Anyone else interested in joining me?

interested in spectating!

Do eeet. Bigm might come down too.

Yea. I may look into this! I've been looking for a meet closer to me (Chicago) but I've started opening up to the idea of doing something in Pa, NJ, or NY.

Would be awesome to have multiple nerd lifters!

Hmmm, that is intriguing. But I'm going to be in California that week.

You can qualify for October at any usapl meet if you don't have a total from last year. Free that weekend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do eeet. Bigm might come down too.

Would be awesome to have multiple nerd lifters!

You can qualify for October at any usapl meet if you don't have a total from last year. Free that weekend?

sweeeeet. The SO is interested in taking the trip with me too :D probably take that friday off if everything works out.

we'll probably look at hotels (or campsites, or whatever) in a month or so if anyone else is interested in the same type of thing. i realize it'll still be pretty cool for camping but we're hearty folk... and cheap.

Damn, that is really close to my undergrad.  Again.  I can do that drive in my sleep.

I don't have the lifts to really compete, but I may try and spectate.

Subbing until to keep it in mind.

Hmmm I may be down for spectating... My wife and I have kid #3 on the way in 5 weeks here so I'm gonna be in no shape to compete (much less compete for the first time)... But that is a very doable 5 hour drive on a Saturday from Picksburgh.

Don't have to have "the lifts to compete", it's a state open, there should be PLENTY of newer people there.

See, I'm a harsh critic of myself.  If I lift I want to make sure I'm the best I can be - and I know for a fact that my squat is complete crap and my other lifts are middling at best, especially for my weight.

But maybe.  Lifting in front of non-Nerds kinda makes me nervous.

But maybe.  Lifting in front of non-Nerds kinda makes me nervous.

Comps feel very similar to any nerd meetup I've been to, with everyone being hugely supportive, kind, and helpful. Everyone just wants to see each other succeed. It's the beauty of this sport, even thoguh you're technically competing against each other, no one really sees it that way, knowing you're really just competing against yourself. Everyone wants to see each other win that battle.

Lifting in front of non-Nerds kinda makes me nervous.

Comps feel very similar to any nerd meetup I've been to, with everyone being hugely supportive, kind, and helpful. Everyone just wants to see each other succeed. It's the beauty of this sport, even thoguh you're technically competing against each other, no one really sees it that way, knowing you're really just competing against yourself. Everyone wants to see each other win that battle.

Also, once you see everyone walking around in ill-fitting singlets, I'm sure the nerves dissipate.

Also, once you see everyone walking around in ill-fitting singlets, I'm sure the nerves dissipate.

I don't think anyone wants to see me in an ill-fitting singlet.  Pretty sure I don't want to see myself in an ill-fitting singlet. >.<

Comps feel very similar to any nerd meetup I've been to, with everyone being hugely supportive, kind, and helpful. Everyone just wants to see each other succeed. It's the beauty of this sport, even thoguh you're technically competing against each other, no one really sees it that way, knowing you're really just competing against yourself. Everyone wants to see each other win that battle.

Maybe.  I guess outside of going to a competition in the Boston, Scranton is also pretty damned close to my home turf, so to speak.  So at least comfort level wise I'd know where the hell I am physically.

Gainsdalf - any suggestions as to where we should look into posting up for that weekend? Near Scranton for the championships or somewhere else for social reasons? I've been to PA once in college so I really don't know the area at all!

Blow is the recommended hotel for nationals and collegiates, both of which are being held at the same place as states, so I imagine it's the same one. The states website isn't up yet as they're focused on getting nationals all set up and done right now.

Recommended Hotel:
Hilton Hotel
Address: 100 Adams Ave, Scranton, PA 18503
Phone:(570) 343-3000
Group Name: USA Powerlifting
Group Code: PURE 

Blow is the recommended hotel for nationals and collegiates, both of which are being held at the same place as states, so I imagine it's the same one. The states website isn't up yet as they're focused on getting nationals all set up and done right now.

Recommended Hotel:

Hilton Hotel

Address: 100 Adams Ave, Scranton, PA 18503

Phone:(570) 343-3000

Group Name: USA Powerlifting

Group Code: PURE 

cool, thanks! i'll check out some tripadvisor reviews of the area too and compare prices

not sure if you care, but that hotel doesn't offer free breakfast or wifi. whereas, there are other hotels of similar caliber in the area which offer those amenities. sounds like that one is a conference center that caters to business folks who have no problem charging their company card for every little thing, ha!

I usually don't take too much advantage of free breakfast, but I do like having free wifi!

Very good point. I'll have to call around. My business travel has slowed, and my membership statuses have lapsed. I used to be Hilton platinum, which I believe got

me those thing pretty much free anyway.

So turns out April 18th I'll be visiting the ladyfriend, so I can't come watch you lift the heavy things, Gains.

But, since that used to be my neck of the woods, Wilkes-Barre is about a 15-20 minute drive from Scranton.  It may have some cheaper hotels (though not a lot goes on in that town for post-lift shenanagins), and the Avoca (AVP) airport has a few hotels that can hold people, too.

Also I-84 is a Bastard.  With an intentional capital B.  Fair warning.