Breakthrough- Resolute

New year, same old grind?

NO!

Let's kick it up this year to create the us we want to see!

This week- Take a resolution and make it a goal that can be achieved. No more of this "I'll quit smoking this year" "I wanna lose weight" "I'll get in shape" crap. Tell me you plan on cutting from 20 to 19 cigarettes a day the first week until you get to 0, you want to lose (or gain Feowyn) 25 pounds in 12 weeks by figuring out your ideal diet, or you plan on going to the gym 3X a week for a half hour to move from 5X3X10 squats to 7X7X90 by Christmas.

"I resolve to get healthy"- My plan to start this year is to work on my health by eating good grains (i.e. rice) sparingly, getting vitamin rich veggies wherever I can (kale-puccino returns!), and eating more fruit in place of processed sugars. I also plan to go from 8 decent form push-ups to 25 with good form by my birthday using Artemis' downward dog method to reset my form. As a bonus, I am trying to get my friend to join me on NF and at the university gym so we can help each other get the bodies we want with proper form. Finally, I will create better health by sleeping, which will require my meditating and lowering anxiety through planning and follow-through in daily life.

Jerem The Great

Level 0 Satyr. Warrior at heart, training with the Recruits
STR 0|DEX 0|STA 0|CON 0|WIS 0|CHA 0 

I also plan to go from 8 decent form push-ups to 25 with good form by my birthday using Artemis' downward dog method to reset my form.

What is Artimis' downward dog method to reset form? I'm just starting with push-ups, but I'm sure my form stinks. Best to get it right from the beginning if I can.

Level: 3

Guild: Assassin

Race: Air Sprite

STR 8 | DEX 4 | STA 9 | CON 3 | WIS 5 | CHA 3

The beginning of wisdom is this: Get wisdom. Though it cost all you have, get understanding. - King Solomon

Current Challenge

Previous Challenge

Lightning, what that means is when you come up off the floor, you move into the downward facing dog pose. It forces you to think more about your form and reset every time.

Ok, makes sense but sounds hard. I'll give it a try tomorrow and see how it goes. :)

The beginning of wisdom is this: Get wisdom. Though it cost all you have, get understanding. - King Solomon

Current Challenge

Previous Challenge

Okay... Well, I discovered that doesn't work when you're doing wimpy little girlie knee push-ups. I did try one real push-up this morning. Might have been good for a laugh, but otherwise I have quite a bit of work to do before my spindley little arms can manage anything that looks like the real thing.

Current Challenge

Previous Challenge

The Gospel According to Teros: 1:1-3

"And Teros and Kamb spake from the freeweight rack, saying 'Knee push-ups do nothing. Incline will lead to regular more readily. Start high and reduceth thy incline over time."

;)

LOL! I believed that to be the case by my own discovery. Monday I did just knee push-ups. Today (before I read this) I did my first set as incline on the bathroom counter (great minds think alike - start high). Managed 20 like that, then did the remaining sets (10, 12) as knee push-ups. I could tell that the inclines seemed more like real push-ups but I'm not sure why they lead to regular more readily. Is it different muscles working?

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Previous Challenge

Incline pushup work your core more than knee pushups do. Also, there is an angle when your go down with knee pushups that is not quite there in regular or incline pushups.

Thank you for the additional technical details, Artemis! I'm going to try and do my entire set as incline push-ups tomorrow... even if it takes me an embarrassing number of sets to do the 40 reps for L1 of the Angry Birds. Can't improve if I don't start somewhere. :)

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Previous Challenge

Pretty good so far. I've had some problems with school, and classes haven't even started yet. :) I'm taking it all in stride though. I haven't lost my temper. My parents want me to raise hell with a particular company that ripped me off for $100. I had actually planned on being pretty respectful to them when I call, but the conveniently don't have a phone number. :) And I still didn't get that upset. My parents were angrier than I was. All in all, I've enjoyed my week. Kinda odd how none of this stuff got me mad. I love it! Maybe that is my breakthrough of the week?

• Like 1

Ranger - Level 7

My Character

Current Challenge

Good morning! It's the start of another glorious week on Nerd Fitness and I have a question:

What are your health strengths and weaknesses?

My biggest strengths are making goals and starting things. I can start anything! BUUUUUT.... I don't tend to finish. I make goals too steep and don't adjust them, so when something new comes along, I just start that instead of finishing and following through what I'm already doing. I also have a habit of over-stretching, which weakens my willpower.

Jerem The Great

Sorry I'm late! I'm here and I'm staying this time. Getting up to a healthy weight is still the biggest thing for me. I'm going to be tracking my calories and doing bodyweight workouts.

strengths- I don't just jump into things. I spend hours researching and really try to make informed decisions. I also spend hours making up the perfect plan (that if I could actually follow it, I'm sure it would work)

weaknesses- if it looks like a might fail, I quit  and I tend to overcomplicate things like picking out these great healthy recipes that have me in the kitchen all day and then I don't get anything else done

• Like 1

Lady Feowyn Miread of Eldavar

You have no idea what you're capable of, you didn't create you.

Megathirio Discord- https://discord.gg/kr2YCJM   

Late late late! I've been away. I'd like to join to set a goal to be able to do a push-up from the floor. Just one! I've never done one! I almost got there last year but I usually can't get back up once I go down. I think this will work into my quest for my challenge to do more strength training. Ideas? 

• Like 1

Good morning! It's the start of another glorious week on Nerd Fitness and I have a question:

What are your health strengths and weaknesses?

My biggest strengths are making goals and starting things. I can start anything! BUUUUUT.... I don't tend to finish. I make goals too steep and don't adjust them, so when something new comes along, I just start that instead of finishing and following through what I'm already doing. I also have a habit of over-stretching, which weakens my willpower.

Knowing your own strengths and... uh, areas where improvement is needed (haha) is a very good thing!

• I'm very good at losing weight and getting to my desired goal weight. I did better at maintaining during my last attempt (slow gain of 35 pounds over 6 years instead of 60 pounds over 6 months) but I still need to do better b/c I still got to a point where I needed to lose a significant amount again. I'm within goal range now, but want to slowly lose another 3-5 pounds while gaining muscle over the next few months.  Then I need to **maintain** - not slowly revert to old habits. 
  • I'm good at setting goals and pretty good at following through **for a while**. But I get distracted and bored easily. I'm competitive and need exciting challenges - so to overcome my weakness (for this and the "maintenance" issue mentioned above) I joined NF so that I'd have new and exciting goals on a regular basis that challenge and motivate me.
  • I'm in fair shape from a "Cardio" & "weight" perspective, but I have too much fat and not enough muscle. I tend to worry a lot more about my scale weight than my body composition. I'm working on changing this by doing more weight lifting, but I'm still very attached to my cardio. Baby steps.
  • I homeschool my daughters so I have to have lesson plans planned in advance, but I like socializing on NF, FB, and other such sites more than doing lesson plans, so here I am typing this when I should be creating their history test for Friday. Hmmmm.... maybe I should close my browser and make myself focus.... ;)

Thanks Jarem (Lightning says sarcastically), for ruining my fun and reminding me to get back to work. Hrumph....

teheheheh - just teasing. 

~L.B.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Previous Challenge

Oh no, Great Captain! One little set back easily puts me in a downward spiral if I let it, which I almost always do.  This section is mind games.  You've conquered the Mountain of Uncertainty. You've swam the River of Fear. You have now entered the Dark Forest of Defeat. There will be obstacles and distractions, but you can get through if you keep going. I haven't passed this level yet, but I will.  Be strong! Every day is a new day. The past is behind you. Things won't be perfect  (preaching to myself here), but you can still do this. Maybe you can do some slow cooker meals so you won't be standing too long if it's painful or some bodyweight stuff at home until you feel a bit better?

• Like 2

Lady Feowyn Miread of Eldavar

You have no idea what you're capable of, you didn't create you.

Megathirio Discord- https://discord.gg/kr2YCJM   

Hey! So, I forgot my password and I was sans laptop this weekend....  :shame:

My back is better. The problem is my lower back muscles are weak, and unfortunately that means when I hurt it, everything hurts. Standing, walking, breathing.... I have to rest it and try to use good posture. 

New mini will be up in the morning! :) Until then, any breakthroughs?

Jerem The Great

So, this week's mini *pause for evil laugh*

It's actually the next two weeks. The challenge? Creating our villain. 

Our weaknesses will be the basis of our villains, then we give them personalities (backstory encouraged but not required). By the end of the challenge, we will have a JLA/LoD or X-Men/Acolyte setup to beat our weaknesses.

Let the games begin! :)

• Like 1

Jerem The Great