mediaguy99

Who is the most bad-assed, strong, fearless, "normal" superhero out there?  

That's right.  It's Daredevil.

406px-Daredevil.jpg

Does he have super-powers?  Sure, but they're not physical.  He's got his strength, his iron will, and his enhanced senses.  Despite the fact that he is blind, he senses are honed to the point where he perceives his environment better than sighted people do.  He's the ultimate acrobat, aerialist, and an expert marksman.  In short, despite the fact that he is a hero and doesn't generally kill, he is the ultimate assassin.

THE MAIN QUEST:  To be come a bad-assed aerial assassin like Daredevil.  I want to grow my abilities on aerial apparatus (hoop, trap, static trap, and maybe rope) and with any luck, perform at the aerial dance festival this coming summer. 

1.  CARVE THE BODY

daredevil_by_uncannyknack-d68e5v0.jpg

During the last two challenges, I focused on making sure I did so many bodyweight workouts, so many cardio workouts, only ate so many non-paleo meals, etc.  This left me with six goals I needed to fulfill every week, and feeling like I was constantly checking off boxes.  Well, no more.  I know how to work out now, and I have built the habit of doing so.  Instead, I'm just going to say that:

I'm going to sweat at least six days per week, for at least an hour each day.  

I will engage in as much HIIT as I can stand while working out at the gym or out on the roads or trails.  I will continue to do weights, and I will do them BEFORE doing cardio.  I will also stretch after every workout.  I got myself a fat-measuring scale, and while I don't believe it's totally accurate, it does give me a number for body fat percentage, and today that number is 14%13.6%.  I want it to go down.  Every quarter of a percent change in body fat percentage over the next six weeks equals a letter grade.  I will measure and report progress weekly.  +2 STR, +2 STA (note on the edit: checked tonight, and after just one day of not eating junk food and drinking plenty of water I'm down .4%, so I'm setting that as my new starting position).

2.  CLEAN UP HELL'S KITCHEN

daredevil_hell__s_kitchen_by_just_the_ro

Over the holidays I wreaked havoc on my diet, but Daredevil can't easily swing from fire escapes and perform all kinds of crazy body-weight acrobatics when he's carrying extra weight. 

I will eat paleo all week, except the weekends (6 NPT/week)

I won't look at screens while I'm eating breakfast or dinner

Eating paleolithically works really well for me, and I like it too.  I really let myself go over the holidays and it shows.  So I'll eat paleo all week, with no snacking, and eat non-paleo on the weekends and avoid snacking wherever possible.  If some special occasion requires it, I can swap a weekend meal for an NPT (Non-Paleo Token).  I will track calories on MFP on non-paleo days.  I will need to up the amount of lean protein that I eat because I'm hoping to train even harder and build some more muscle this challenge.  As always, game nights will be hard and I will need to bring veggies, fruit, jerky, and nuts because I KNOW I will be nibbly.  I will also engage in mindful eating for every breakfast and dinner, and lunches on the weekends.  During the week, because I work out over lunch, I have to eat at my desk and do work.  Score for paleo for the session will be based off the number 36 (six weeks, two non-paleo days per week, three meals per day, +3 CON), and mindful eating will simply be a tally of the times I fail to avoid screens during meals, +2 CHA.    

3.  HONE THE SENSES

tumblr_mm7bfeRKtm1sn8q43o1_1280.jpg

Daredevil's amazing powers stem from the fact that he is acutely aware of his surroundings:  He can hear the sound of a heart beat; he can feel the ink printed on a page; he can smell the difference between identical twins at twenty feet.  I want to hone my senses, and to do so I'm going to further my practice of archery and meditation.  To this end, for the next six weeks:

I will practice archery any free Monday and Friday evenings 

I will meditate five to ten minutes a day.

Practicing archery will help still my mind--it's so very zen.  Not looking at the phone or laptop while I'm eating is going to be hard, and impossible at work, since I'm expected to work while I'm eating (my lunch hour is at the gym).  So, archery practice will be based off of the number four, like last time, +1 DEX, and meditation will be based off of seven,  +1 WIS.  

4.  BECOME THE MAN WITHOUT FEAR

fd93bbaf7592dce4347addbdf5889c4a.JPG?ito

I'm signed up for a six-week static trapeze class.  I'm also going to audition for the aerial class taught here at the university:  eighteen slots, and I'm a continuing ed grad student, so I don't know if I'll get in.  Either way, I will focus on working on my drops, ankle hangs, ankle beats, and working up in the ropes or high on the fabric.  

I will go to every class and try every piece of vocabulary

Even when the move looks scary, I will do it at least once.  I will remember that I am strong and can take it.  Daredevil really isn't the man "without" fear--he's the man who constantly faces down his fear.  And that's what I'm after.  +4 DEX

So, now that I'm at the end of this post, I realize that I'm going to be tracking six things again, every week.  But it's only four goals, so I feel alright about that.  I'll update this at some point with points and letter grades, and also write another post for rewards.

Here are the "before" pictures.  Honestly, they don't look a lot different from the previous "before" pics which is a little bit disheartening...

Front

Back

Left

• Like 6

Level 21 Wild Elf Ranger/Assassin

Spoiler

I'm not really sure these stats are relevant anymore...

STR: 31 DEX: 26 STA: 30  CON: 24  WIS: 30 CHA: 26

Current Challenge

That's seriously awesome!

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Turning this post into the challenge progress post:

WEEK 1

BF%: 13.0%

Workouts: 6/6 A

NPT: 7/6  A-

Meditation: 4/7 C

Non-Mindful Eating: 1 A-

Archery: 1 A

Classes: 1 A

WEEK 2

BF% 12.9%

Workouts:  7

NPT: 10/6 C

Meditation:  3/7 D

Mindful Eating: 0 A

Archery: 1 A

Classes: 1 A

WEEK 3

(what happened during week three?)

WEEK 4

Mindful eating: A

Meditation: B

GERD prevention:  B

Archery:  1

WEEK 5

Mindful eating:  A

Meditation: A

GERD prevention: B

Archery: NA

REWARDS:

The last week of the challenge is also the weekend of Genghis Con, our local gigantic RPG/Wargame convention.  I'm DM'ing two sessions, playing two sessions, and going to two miniature painting classes.  I haven't pinned down my rewards yet, but considering it's also VALENTINE'S WEEKEND, I'll be sure that it has something to do with gaming and love :0

Your university offers an aerial class? That's pretty awesome.

You can get your MFA in aerial dance, if you can believe it.  Part of having one of the originators of the genre living in the area :)

Shameless promotion here, but you should totally come to the aerial dance festival this summer... it's all kinds of awesome!

• Like 2

Spoiler

Current Challenge

OK, I'm back from the lunchtime workout. Finished lunch (leftover steak, leftover grass-fed chuck roast, veggie surprise, and a tablespoon of mashed potatoes [sERIOUSLY!]) and off to install some AV equipment in a smart classroom. Here's the breakdown:

Side plank drops 12/side x 3, 16/side x 1

Calf Raises 70x12x1, 80x12x1, 90x12x2

Step-ups w/dumbells 40x10x1, 45x10x1, 50x10x2

Bicep curls 45x10x4

Squats 110x6x1; 120x6x1, 130x6x2

Ham Curls (whoops forgot to do these)

Bench press 30x10x1, 40x8x2, 40x7x1

35 min at 80%+ MHR on elliptical

5 min ham/shoulder/back/quad stretches

• Like 1

Spoiler

Current Challenge

This seems Awesome!

I'm subbing!

• Like 1

Race: Half-Elf          Class: Warrior-Assassin

Level: 0                     Last Challenge:

----------------------------------------------------------------------
STR: x | CON: x | DEX: x | INT: x | WIS: x | CHA: x |

"[I am] the spark that will light the flame of the Rebellion"

Thanks to any and all kind enough to follow this!

Tonight shoulda been an archery practice night, as gaming was cancelled.  But, poor Mrs. Mediaguy came down with STREP THROAT so I stayed home to take care of the kiddo, make dinner, clean the house, take down the Christmas tree, etc.  I think she's doing better, having rested a bit.  Fortunately the apprentice goes back to daycare again tomorrow (thank the gods--it's been closed for the past two weeks and ANY day we've both worked we've had to hire one of the neighborhood college girls to watch him, which is a little pricey...) so she can sleep in, rest, rest, and rest.  Can you believe she's never had it before?  I think I had strep at least half a dozen times before I graduated from college!

• Like 1

Spoiler

Current Challenge

Last night really threw me off.  So, yesterday my son got a truck that has a space shuttle on it from his grandmother.  Both toys take batteries.  I'm not super thrilled about electric toys for kids his age, but I figured what the hey, no problem.  Well, he took them to bed with him, and every hour he would either accidentally or on-purpose press the button to make it make noises.  Imagine a fairly loud rendition of a truck starting up, or a space shuttle taking off, and that's what was dancing through my head all night long.  I usually sleep pretty well, but what with Mrs. M being sick, and me being SORE from last Friday's crazy hard HIIT workout, I wasn't sleeping well.  The sound effects just made it worse.  I think I got about 4-5 hours of sleep last night, all told.  Can't WAIT to go to bed tonight!  Meditated last night, and had a veggie stir fry with some shredded beef.  Also, kind of lost myself eating raisins and surfing NF which wasn't so good (not mindful eating that's for sure) so I'll be sure not to do that again tonight.  

So, I ran today with these things on my feet:

Microspikes.jpg

Talk about AMAZING running.  Snow?  Check.  Glare bomb-proof ice?  Check.  Frozen slush?  Check.  Muddy not-frozen-slush with gigantic ice balls and snow mixed together?  NO PROBLEM!  These things put my old Yaxtrax to shame!  They were just just amazing.  They were a gift from Mrs. Mediaguy last Xmas, but I was injured and all my runs were short and on the creek path.  They sat all alone in the bottom of my running bag in the closet until this morning, when I thought, "I should run outside today" :)

Well, today I got to go into the woods, up the mountain, through the trees, and down the crazy steep hill that looked like it'd been encased in a slick solid coat of ice.  5.3 miles in 1:04.  Considering the hills and the conditions I'd say that's OK--I didn't say they made me super FAST or anything.  I'll be using those for runs this winter that's for sure.

Breakfast was basic--spinach/berry smoothie and turkey sausage.  Lunch was more leftover shredded beef with a ton of veggies, a big salad, and some very yummy roast potatoes.  Sore, but in a good way.  Dreamed about static trapeze last night.

• Like 4

Spoiler

Current Challenge

Grest job doing weights before cardio!

And I hear you on the strep... pretty sure I have it right now. Cultures from lab come back thurs or fri. Sadly enough, hubby has some kind of head cold+overwork syndrome. He is checked out. So super mommy to the rescue!

And I just wanted to say thank you for your meal goals and transparency with food. It's one of the reasons I have been cutting sugar so harshly this week and sticking to my food goals.

And those spikes earn kudos!

- Sent from my magic Navi-powered device!

• Like 1

Brain-Building Assassin, a.k.a Radical Domestic Jill-of-All-Trades

Battle Log | Challenges: Current |18 |17 |16 |15 |14 |13 |12 |11 |109 | 87 | 65432 | 1  

Isaiah 40:30-31

YES!  Last night was terrific!  Watched Agent Carter (with no mindless raisin eating) on ABC which I thought was pretty lame, then 5 min of meditation before going to bed at 9:45 and sleeping all the way through til 6:45 this morning.  9 hours!  Amazing.  

Meanwhile, I forgot that our annual pre-semester Engineer Breakfast was this morning, and unfortunately burned one of my non-paleo meals on that.  I think that to keep myself in check what I'll do is on non-paleo eating days, I'll track the calories so I KNOW how close to what I actually need, calorically and macro-ically, I am.  Anyway, bacon, potatoes, and pancakes with real maple; not SO bad in the grand scheme of things, but a lot of carbs....

Today is a weightlifting and brief (30 min) cardio day.  It's drizzling ice and snow out there today (so unusual for Boulder to get ice storms) and the layer of bombproof ice on my window this morning was obnoxious.  Compounded by the fact that my 27 year old van's engine is in the back, with 15' of coolant line to the front, so the defroster is USELESS.  There's just no other way to get that ice off than chipping away at it.

I'm going to update my goals to reflect Vengeful Pear's concept of the NPT (Non-Paleo Token) instead of specifying two non-paleo days per week.  That means I've used 1 NPT out of six for the week.

• Like 1

Spoiler

Current Challenge

GOOD LORD!

923 calorie breakfast?

At least I'm super full.  Good thing it's a weights and cardio day....

Sounds yummy, remember training isn't penance! 

• Like 2

Level 13 Shape-shifting Warrior Monk

STR:45 | DEX:18 | STA:10 | CON:37 | WIS:37 | CHA:27

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

Battle Log : MFP : Instagram : Challenges - 1, 23456789101112

OK, so this is strange, in that I'm on page two before the first week is out.  

Today's workout included three sets of 50 army crawls--those are crazy hard, both on the core and the elbow skin.  

Lunch is a tiny bowl of shredded beef and veggies.  It's so late, I don't want to stuff myself before dinner.  I'll have a protein shake in a few, and chase it with an apple.  Meanwhile here's the stats from today's strength session.  Did a lot of TRX/Suspension training things, including flies which I had never done before on a suspension trainer.  (The ones at the gym aren't TRX)  Super hard!  I had to go to nearly standing vertically to do a full set of 10, regardless of position (front or back).  But, I'm glad to see I can sub that in instead of the typical flies for chest and back...  I had a new PR with weight for plyometric lunges, and finished watching Hercules (with The Rock) on the recumbent bike for the last half hour of my workout.  Not a horrible cheesy movie, but cheesy for certain!  I know there are PLENTY of folks who want to get all bulky like that guy, but I'm happy to trim down, and get wiry.

Army crawl (how many???) 50, 50, 50
TRX suspended push-ups 10,10,10
TRX inverse rows 10,10,10 
TRX bicep curls 10,10,10 (set with ham curls)
Ham curls 90x10x3 (upstairs machine w/feet flexed)
TRX reverse flies 10,10,10 (set w/chest flies)
TRX chest flies 10,10,10 (set with rev flies)
Plyometric lunges 40x10x3

Recumbent bike @ 80% MHR 30 min (incl cooldown)

Also:  Updated one of the posts on page 1 to include the challenge progress report, and started a musing there about rewards.  Gotta steal earn some treasure, right?
  • Like 4

Spoiler

Current Challenge

Crushed. Daredevil will be sorry by having you as competition!

• Like 2

Race: Half-Elf          Class: Warrior-Assassin

Level: 0                     Last Challenge:

----------------------------------------------------------------------
STR: x | CON: x | DEX: x | INT: x | WIS: x | CHA: x |

"[I am] the spark that will light the flame of the Rebellion"

Here are the "before" pictures.  Honestly, they don't look a lot different from the previous "before" pics which is a little bit disheartening...

Meh, don't give it a second thought. In pics everything on me from the waist up doesn't look a bit different than when I started lifting for the very first time, yet clearly I can lift more now than ever. The physical change will come, you've got a good thing going just keep at it! Moar squats.

• Like 4

Level 13 Shape-shifting Warrior Monk

STR:45 | DEX:18 | STA:10 | CON:37 | WIS:37 | CHA:27

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

Battle Log : MFP : Instagram : Challenges - 1, 23456789101112