LRB's Weight Loss/Strength/Regular Workout/Financial six-week odyssey

LRB

LRB, looks solid and achievable! One pound a week is a healthy rate, three times a week is doable with some motivation and built into a routine, and Steve has a great outline to work your way up to one pull up.

Care to share any more of your story (if you'd like)? Where you feel you are, how close to a pull up you are, what you plan on doing for exercise to lose the weight?

The Tin Man: Cyborg Ranger

Tin Man's Out of Date Epic Quest

I am what I do.

Well, I didn't get pictures last night; will try to do it tonight. If not, then Friday, as I will be home all day.

My background/story:

I was born at a very young age (sorry, couldn't resist). Trying again.

I am a 40 year-old woman (though I'll be 41 when this challenge ends) who has always been in decent shape - both in terms of strength and weight - but I haven't been really *fit* since high school. Well, maybe also when I trained for and walked the Avon Walk (26.2 miles the first day, 13.1 the second) two years in a row. I'm 5' 6" tall, and weigh 146 lbs. That's the same amount I weighed when I graduated high school in 1988 and again when I got married in 1995. At the time, though, that was the heaviest I had ever been (both times). For a while in college, I was down at 120 (wasn't eating enough due to emotional issues - I don't recommend it). Since then, and other than during and after my two pregnancies, my highest weight has been about 160.

I've done Weight Watchers a bunch of times, always with success (i.e., I lose the weight and feel great), but then I backslide -- either a little at a time ('just one candy corn won't hurt' becomes 'I can get away with a bag of candy corn if I make up for it later' and then I never make up for it) or simply by saying 'enough is enough, I'm tired of living life with the brakes on, I'm going to eat what I want and enjoy my body for what it is.

Right now, I just finished a six-week, twice-a-week 'bootcamp' at work (bodyweight exercises and cardio), and am also a member of my local Koko Fitclub (www.kokofitclub.com), which I love, but I'm also the queen of bad excuses not to work out -- I don't feel like it; I'm hungry; I just ate; I'm tired; it's not convenient.

The times in my life when I have been most fit (swim team in high school and when training for the Avon Walk) have been times when I've done it to rise to a challenge, to be a part of something bigger, when it hasn't actually been about the fitness and health but has instead been about the competition or completing something meaningful. I'm hoping that this challenge will motivate me similarly.

So . . . let's see . . . what else can I tell you about me?

I'm 40, almost 41. Live with my husband of 16 years (boyfriend for 6 years before that), our dog and two kids (11 and 9) in a suburb of Boston. I am an attorney working full-time, on the board of a local non-profit grant-making organization, chair of my church's Religious Education committee, and helping my sister plan her wedding for late January. Oh, and in mid-December, my husband's parents will come to live with us for a month or so.

I think that's all I've got. I'll do my best to get a picture up here sooner rather than later.

LRB, Lifelong Rebel Badass  ||  June 3 challenge thread

"What I lack in ability, I make up in stubbornness" -me

"Someone busier than you is working out right now" -my mom

Hello, and welcome to NF.

I just want to say that we're here to help each other and I'm looking forward to seeing how the next six weeks goes for you. It sounds like you've already got a solid foundation for success. The little devil on your shoulder telling you to go for it and damn the consequences is the hardest hill to overcome.

I also am in the same boat as one of my big weaknesses is upper body strength. I have never been able to do a pull-up and I am working hard to change that. I'm looking forward to hearing that you were able to get one done :)

The best advice I can give is to keep up with posting updates. It is great to share your triumphs and let go of your misses. It's easy to get bogged down but when you know you're going to post every day, it provides a great spark to keep up the good work.

Also, come by the squad thread and hang out. We're here to help. The link to the new squad is in my signature.

I'm a Week Late and Pissed Off Challenge 

"What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." - Socrates

Week 1, day 2-ish (figured I'd just put myself on the same timeline as everyone else)

Tuesday, October 25.

1. Go from 146 lbs to 140 lbs

Not likely to see overnight results on this one, but I made a nice sausage, lentil & spinach stew in the crockpot to help jump-start some healthy eating for me.

2. Complete a pull-up

Went down to the exercise room at work, started at the beginning of Steve's do-a-pullup blog post, and can somewhat easily do three sets of 8 reps each at 15 lbs - but then realized I should have rested 2 minutes between sets, so I'm going to try for 20 lbs today. Also realized that now that it's getting cold out, I can't really use my kids' playset for trying pullups and doing inverted rows, so I may have to buy a bar to put in a door frame.

3. Work out 3x/week or more

I didn't work out Tuesday, but have my gym clothes with me today (Wednesday), and my husband is 'on' for taking the kids for the evening, so I should have plenty of time and no excuses.

4. Change banks.

Did nothing to further this.

Not likely to see overnight results on this one, but I ate OK throughout the day. A few more almonds than I should have had, and a coworker brought in some marzipan that proved irresistible (oh, and I shouldn't forget my own personal kryptonite - candy corn; I had a BUNCH of those).

2. Complete a pull-up

Reminding myself of Yoda's "there is no try," I went and did the bent-over dumbbell rows from Steve's pull-up post with the full 25 lbs. It took a little bit of effort, but was by no means exhausting. I've done bodyweight rows with my body horizontal at the top (put my feet up on the rung of a ladder), so I'm going to skip those and go for the assisted and/or negative pull-ups. I want to get this - and I don't want to be half-assed about it, either. If I can blow the one-pull-up goal out of the water and do multiples in a row, I'll consider it an epic win. I also ordered a chinning bar that I can put in a doorframe at home.

Well, despite a one-hour derailing of my evening last night (I planned to leave work at 8 pm, after a 12-hour day, and got stuck being there until 9), I still managed to get myself to the gym and get in a workout.

4. Change banks.

Did nothing to further this, but the one-hour derailing last night was occasioned by potential phishing of my email address and various passwords, so I did spend about an hour changing my password on major and minor online commerce, financial, and social sites.

Adding a fail goal -- no candy. Honestly, my goal is NOT to fail at that goal, but it's going to be harder than hard for me, especially with Halloween coming up.

And here are week-one pictures of me (taken and posted in a moment of bravery or insanity; take your pick)

post-195-13567243136879_thumb.jpg

post-195-13567243137432_thumb.jpg

post-195-13567243138282_thumb.jpg

Definitely a moment of Bravery. You've inspired me to go ahead and post my comparison shots when I get home.

Negative pull-ups are great for working up to a full pull-up. Nothing else works the stabilizer muscles the way that negatives do.

I'm a Week Late and Pissed Off Challenge 

"What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." - Socrates

Not likely to see overnight results on this one, but my eating was okay for the day

2. Complete a pull-up

Nothin'

Nothin' -- day off.

4. Change banks.

Did nothing to further this.

5. Fail goal: no candy

MAJOR SUCCESS. There was candy at work, and our Hallowe'en candy arrived (I'm giving out fair-trade organic chocolate this year, and wound up ordering it online), and I didn't even have a single piece. It was sooooo tempting just to try it, and see what we'll be giving out, and I let my kids each have a piece but I didn't touch it myself. On top of which, there was candy all over the place at work and I didn't have any of that either. I forget which of you it was who said "that's not food," but that phrase has really, really helped me. Thanks!

Week 1, Day 5 (Friday)

Oh. My. God. What a DAY. This is the first time I've stopped moving all day (10 pm) and any plans to go work out this evening have been shelved -- in part because the kids are in bed and I'm the only adult at home -- but also because I've been in almost constant motion all day, so I'm going to count it as at least a portion of a workout.

I took the day off from work to take care of some stuff, and spent the day getting it all done. I'm about half way through the list, and not at all sure when I'm going to fit in the rest, but that's life.

As for my goals:

1. Lose 6 lbs. Well, eating was better (and worse) than it could have been. I was out and about for so long midday that lunch wasn't until about 3 pm (after a small-ish breakfast at 8 a.m.), so I had peanut butter on a wrap with a little bit of honey -- I just wanted some quick sugars and then some protein to ease the crash. And then, for dinner, I had a few slices of cheese pizza and am currently sipping at a glass of wine. Not the best sources of nutrition in the world, but also not ice cream & cupcakes.

2. Complete a pull-up. Got my pull-up bar in the mail! Put it together, found an out-of-the-way-yet-accessible doorframe, and then found that the molding above the door is too much for the bar. Ugh. Wound up having to install it in the door between the finished and unfinished areas of the basement. The good news is that nobody is going to hit his head on it; the bad news is that I don't go down there that often. OTOH, I did do three negative pull-ups without too much ill effect. At the time, I was planning on working out later today at the gym, so didn't want to kill myself, but . . .

3. Work out three times a week. Epic fail. All the best intentions, and all of that. But I'm about half-way through today's to-do list, and the only adult home with two sleeping kids, and I'm not going to leave them so I can go work out. Maybe I'll just do some push-ups, planks, squats, crunches and other bodyweight-type stuff for a bit. Or maybe I'll just push the workout to tomorrow morning (I KNEW I should have gotten it in this morning before I headed out to start the insanity of my day; lesson learned -- or at least 'lesson taught again;' I wonder how many times life will have to teach it before I learn it?). I did, however, load two helium tanks (one 120 lbs, the other 80 lbs) into my car, and then get them out and down to my basement at the other end of the day. So if "lift heavy stuff" is the way to do this, then today was a success.

4. Change banks.

This was on the list of things I took the day off to do; but unfortunately, it's still on the list of things yet to do.

5. Fail goal: no candy -- success! Many temptations, including a Halloween party at the place my daughter goes after school, but I was strong. I think I'm going to start calling this my "extreme goal," because a "fail goal" sounds like the goal is to fail, when that isn't the case at ALL.

============================

Regarding the pictures -- I'm glad I've inspired some of you. My body is certainly far from where I want it to be, and two pregnancies (during which I gained ~60 lbs each time, mostly in my torso) have left it so that I will never again look good in a bikini without some surgical help. But it is what it is, and I have worked hard to get here, and I intend to continue working hard to get where I'm going. As to the flappy skin and stretch marks? Heck, I EARNED those stripes!

5. Fail goal: no candy -- success! Many temptations, including a Halloween party at the place my daughter goes after school, but I was strong. I think I'm going to start calling this my "extreme goal," because a "fail goal" sounds like the goal is to fail, when that isn't the case at ALL.

============================

I am rooting for you on this one. That would be a really hard goal for me, especially if I had kids who were trick or treating/bringing candy home from school.

thanks for the pvp challenge thread. And yes, I am going down -- in that my WEIGHT is going down! (actually, last week, it didn't, but that's a whole 'nother story).

The last two days of week 1 were a bust. We lost power due to the storm on the East Coast, and that changed everything - a lot more take-out eating, and a lot less time to exercise. And then when we got power back, my husband decided to make home-made mac & cheese. It was delicious, but waaaay more fat and carbs than I needed. And the bottle of wine we had with dinner didn't help either.

But this is a new week and a new chance to commit myself to this challenge. In any event, here's a quick recap of the week:

Goal 1. Lose 6 lbs (which I think I am conceptualizing as "eat mindfully and intentionally") -- up and down. I'd give myself a C+ if I'm being completely honest.

Goal 2. Complete a pull-up: It's a B/B+ for progress. I now have a pull-up bar, and know that I can do a chin-up, and some negative pull-ups, but cannot yet do a pull-up.

Goal 3: Work out three times a week: B- I worked out twice. I also lifted a lot of heavy things (helium tanks) and moved around a bunch to stay warm when the heat (and power) went out.

Goal 4: Change Banks: C. Very little done in this regard. Planning on spending some time on it tonight in between Trick or Treaters

Goal 5: No candy. A- The only candy I've had since I set this goal was one that my nine-year-old put in my mouth after saying "open your mouth and close your eyes, and I will give you a nice surprise." She doesn't know that I'm trying to avoid candy (I'm trying not to make my issues around food become my kids' issues too), and I thought it'd be totally scary and inappropriate if I then spat it out. It was a candy-corn pumpkin (usually candy corn is a total trigger food for me, so I'm really proud that I didn't eat any more of it on my own). Of course, the next few days will be the hardest.

Week 2, day 1:

Goal 1: lose 6 lbs (eat mindfully): A-. I had a good breakfast, a good lunch, a slice of cake (oops), a good dinner, and a glass of wine (fine). But for the slice of cake, it would have been a great eating day.

Goal 2: Complete a pull-up. Did nothing toward this goal.

Goal 3: Work out 3x a week: did nothing toward this goal.

Goal 4: No candy. WIN!!! WinWinWin! Ding, ding, ding! I made it through Halloween with NO CANDY. This is a *huge* achievement for me. I can (and have) eaten a bag of candy corn in one sitting. My favorite candy is "the kind with sugar in it." I used to eat SUGAR CUBES by themselves. Packs of honey, without the hot tea they were intended to be used with. You name it, if it has sugar, I eat/ate it. I'm not letting my guard down yet, though . . . there's still tons of candy in the house and here at work. So far, I'm telling myself "you can have it in December," and "that's not food." At some point, I will be strong enough to throw it all out. But for now, the ability to have it "later" is making it easier not to have it now.

Goal 4: No candy. WIN!!! WinWinWin! Ding, ding, ding! I made it through Halloween with NO CANDY. This is a *huge* achievement for me.

That is awesome! You and I have a lot in common, age, numberof children, how we're built, etc. I find your goals quite admirable. My greatgrandfather quit smoking - and left a half carton of cigarettes on top of his refrigerator for, oh, about 17 years. He always said, "Just in case." I think having them there meant, to him, he didn't need them. So your theory makes complete sense to me.

Go you!

Human Druid/Cleric - LvL 3
STR (6.5); DEX (4); STA (9.5); CON (10); WIS (9); CHA (3)

I will not live my life based upon the ideals of someone else. My value is inherent in my existence.

Long term goal: King Pigeon and Dancer.

Great fail-goal. I've found it's helpful to mentally go "that's not food" whenever I see something which is Forbidden (even temporarily). When I stop thinking of stuff (like candy) as food' date=' I stop wanting to eat it SO so badly. Good luck on the goals, and Hi! *waves*[/quote']

this is a GREAT idea! i must try this!!!!!

Week 2, day 2:

Goal 1: Lose 6 lbs (eat mindfully). Did great throughout most of the day, lost it in the evening. Wound up having TWO peanut-butter and honey sandwiches. In my defense, though, I avoided the candy that was all over the table around me.

Goal 2: Complete a pull-up: Did a bunch of assisted (one-leg assist) chin ups.

Goal 3: Work out 3x/week: Downloaded and started the bodyweight workouts from the Rebel Strength Guide. Working on Rank 1, and feeling a bit pathetic that the warm up kicked my ass.

Goal 4: Change banks: worked on getting data from what will soon be my "old" bank and into my financial tracking software.

Goal 5: No candy: small nibble of a piece of high-quality chocolate, then I threw the rest away. I think I've gotten to a place where the big challenge now is to avoid substituting LOTS of crappy food for the candy. The whole point of avoiding candy is to eat more healthily overall -- if all I'm doing is loading up on PB & Honey sandwiches and eating rolls of fatty/carby crackers instead, that defeats the whole purpose. So starting today: no candy, AND avoid substituting other bad stuff. This doesn't mean 'no bad stuff,' though. Tomorrow is my birthday, and you can bet I'm going to have the traditional cupcake-for-breakfast that we do in my family. But that is planned and intentional, not a mindless giving-in to a craving.

My greatgrandfather quit smoking - and left a half carton of cigarettes on top of his refrigerator for, oh, about 17 years. He always said, "Just in case." I think having them there meant, to him, he didn't need them.

Love this! I actually know someone who is taking a sixty-year "break" from smoking. Quitting was too hard, so she is just not smoking for now. It works for her, and so far this not-throwing-out-the-candy thing is working for me.

I got a pocket, got a pocketful of sunshine.

I got a love and I know that it's all mine. Oh, oh, oh, oh.

Do what you want, but you're never gonna break me.

Sticks and stones are never gonna shake me. Oh, oh, oh, oh.

Take me away, a secret place.

A sweet escape, take me away. (Sing it with heart!)

Take me away, to better days.

Take me away, a hiding place.

I got a pocket, got a pocketful of sunshine.

I got a love and I know that it's all mine. Oh, oh, oh, oh.

i don't care what u think of me. unless u think i'm awesome. in which case u're right.

Intro - Workout Log - ABS Log - Fitness Philosophy - Accountability - NERDEE - Weight Maintenance

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines