The Assassins' Super Secret Scullery (insert food here)

Hazard

I'm working my way through this infographic on "25 3-Ingredient Smoothies". This morning I tried the one with raspberries, cottage cheese, and milk. I thought I'd have it with some oatmeal, but it's incredibly filling and so far I've skipped the oatmeal. Link to clearer picture: http://dailyburn.com/life/recipes/easy-smoothie-recipes-infographic/

25-3-Ingredient-Smoothie-Recipes-Infogra

• Like 2

SpiralGalaxy, Level 9 Halfling Elf Assassin
STR 17|DEX 13|STA 20|CON 13|WIS 21|CHA 15
Electromagnetics Engineer, Freelance sci-fi critic in Maryland

"I'm not telling you it's going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it." 

This weekend my roommate made vegan fudge pops out of almond milk, silken tofu, and semi-sweet baking chocolate chips. We'd use less tofu and rice milk next time (almond leaves a fatty coating in your mouth) but it was SURPRISINGLY TASTY!

The recipe is from the Thug Kitchen cookbook, which is AMAZING.

I'm not a vegan (maybe some day), but nothing has gotten my wife to try new veggies more than the recipes in that book. She begs me the makes the Flautas at least once every other week. I myself have fallen in love with the Beer and Lime Cauliflower tacos. Freaking AWESOME.

I think pretty much everyone should buy that book lol.

• Like 1

Moralitea, Level 2 Flind Assassin
{STR 3|DEX 2|STA 4|CON 4WIS 2|CHA 2}

Incepto Ne Desistam.

Previous Challenges: 1,

I'm also not a vegan (tried it for a while but I felt TERRIBLE) mostly because I don't have the time to make sure I'm getting everything I need. Also, I like meat. I mostly just try to be thankful for what I've been given and waste as little as possible.

That aside, I've found plenty of vegan meals I LOVE. Vegan food: not just for vegans ;)

• Like 2

Level 4 Assassin 

Hufflepuff House

Sunlit Embraces Earth and Sea - Current Challenge

I'm also not a vegan (tried it for a while but I felt TERRIBLE) mostly because I don't have the time to make sure I'm getting everything I need. Also, I like meat. I mostly just try to be thankful for what I've been given and waste as little as possible.

That aside, I've found plenty of vegan meals I LOVE. Vegan food: not just for vegans ;)

I've slowly begun a cut back on my meat consumption, as Americans do tend to eat too much. My portion control is something I'm also working on. My problem is I love eating delicious food :( That's why any plant based meal is a win for me, I can pig out almost indefinitely. 

Moralitea, Level 2 Flind Assassin
{STR 3|DEX 2|STA 4|CON 4WIS 2|CHA 2}

Incepto Ne Desistam.

Previous Challenges: 1,

I totally agree that America has a meat consumption problem! It would be best if we ate more vegetables and varied the types of meat we eat. I'm also really excited about the future of in-ocean aquaculture using polycultures and stuff but that's just be being a big nerd.

The world really needs to wise up in regards to how we produce food, as we're going to need to double our food production in the next fifty or so years. Growing your own veggies helps a little bit and is also fun, teaches any kids you may have, and is SO TASTY!

In short: vary what you eat and see how much of it you can grow yourself. Good for you AND the environment!

• Like 1

Level 4 Assassin 

Hufflepuff House

Sunlit Embraces Earth and Sea - Current Challenge

I finished the blog post about the freezer meal party we had yesterday.  Recipe links are included, and the recipe for the high-fiber Italian meatballs is near the bottom.  https://fimofanatic.wordpress.com/2015/04/14/freezer-meal-party-4-13-2015/

• Like 1

Granny Nogg - Level 10 Warrior

Battle Log| Challenge 8 |Challenge 9 | Challenge 10

My Job | My Epic Quest | Instagram

"Those are not my monkeys."

Eggplant in Spicy Chinese Garlic Sauce

I usually post recipes to the main food thread but now that I’ve gone all factiony I’ll post one here instead. I found this recipe online while I was looking for vegetarian recipes to make for a friend and absolutely fell in love with it. I’m posting the recipe as-is but I, personally, left the sugar out the last time I made it and it came out just fine. The site swore that the sugar greatly affected the flavor of the recipe but I found the opposite to be true. Still I post it unchanged for those with a more discerning palate than mine.

INGREDIENTS:

2 tablespoons cooking oil (I used olive oil with no ill effects), divided

3 small eggplants cut into long strips

2 cloves garlic, finely minced

1 red chile pepper, finely diced

1 tablespoon ginger, finely minced

1 stalk green onion, chopped

1 tablespoon soy sauce

1 tablespoon black vinegar

1/2 teaspoon sugar

DIRECTIONS:

In a wok or saucepan over high heat, add 1 tablespoon of the cooking oil and swirl to coat wok. When wok is hot, add eggplant in a single layer. Cook 1 minute and flip over each piece so they cook evenly. Cook another 2-3 minutes, flipping occasionally.

Push eggplant aside in wok and add 1 tablespoon cooking oil. Add garlic, red chile peppers, ginger and green onion. Stir these aromatics until they become fragrant. Combine aromatics with eggplant and stir fry for one minute. Add soy sauce, black vinegar and sugar and stir to combine all. Serve immediately.

*NOTE: If you have trouble finding black vinegar don’t fret. Use a young balsamic vinegar it’s pretty much the same thing. Enjoy!

<p>Level 3 Troll AssassinSTR: 5.5 DEX: 2 STA: 6.75 CON: 3 WIS: 12.75 CHA: 5.75My Battle LogThe First Official Challenge of MOBIUS!!  The SECOND Official Challenge of MOBIUS!!  http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/69290-the-return-of-mobius/  Weight Loss Goal (106 lbs of 150lbs)

70.6%
70.6%
"Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never, ever, cut a deal with a dragon."

The muffins are a recipe from hubby's side of the family.  At only 166 calories, they are a staple that gets made just about every week for either breakfasts or snacks.  I have not tried to make them paleo yet, but if anyone substitutes ingredients, let me know how it works.

Pineapple Bran Muffins

1 cup flour

2 cups bran

1 teaspoon soda

1 teaspoon salt

Mix these together in a large bowl and make a "well" in the middle for the wet ingredients:

10 oz can crushed pineapple, well drained

1/2 cup molasses

1/2 cup raisins

1 cup milk

2 well-beaten eggs

Mix until just moistened.

Prepare 12-muffin tin.  Oil muffin tin wells (Pam or sprayed oil or coconut oil works great).  DO NOT USE LINERS!!!  The muffins really stick to the liners. Fill each well - these don't rise much, so don't worry if the pan seems a bit full. 

Bake 20 minutes in a 350 degree Fahrenheit oven.  If you don't get the pineapple drained well, you may need to let the muffins bake a little longer.  I let them sit a few minutes after they come out of the oven to finish setting so that they come out of the tin easier.  It's not unusual to have to pry them out gently, but they are worth it!!

• Like 1

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

Made my favorite avocado chocolate pudding this weekend.  Works well as a dip for fruit or as is.

Made some bourbon chicken; I used powdered ginger and garlic instead of the real things (since that was what I had on hand), more bourbon (mine was a black cherry type I think) (1/3 cup) and more brown sugar (1/3 cup).  Tastes sooo good on a bed of caesar salad like they do at the restaurants.  I would advise cutting up the chicken in cubes before letting it marinate overnight (I did not and found that I had to shred the thighs and broil them for another 10 minutes after).

And last but not least, some tortilla pizzas were made this weekend;

• small tortillas
  • shredded mozza or other cheese
  • small can of pineapples
  • some mushrooms
  • bacon
  • ham
  • pesto (homemade like this recipe)

Make the pesto, prep the pizzas as so;

• Tortillas on the pan
  • Spread pesto (or w/e sauce you want)
  • Chop bacon/ham/mushrooms (or w/e you want ;) )
  • Sprinkle them on the tortillas
  • Open the can of pineapples and add those
  • Add cheese

Oven is set to 425 degrees, cook for about 8-10 minutes or until you're satisfied with how grilled the pizza is.

Just a note, I don't find the pineapples went well with the pesto.  Keep them to tomato sauce maybe?

But seriously, try out that bourbon chicken. Sooo good!!!

• Like 1

Challenges | Current |

Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | MFP

OOOOOOO SPARLY!!!  - Jenyne Butterfly (Shit Pole Dancers Say)

I need more Mighty Grip.  Do you have more Mighty Grip?  - Steven Retchless (Shit Pole Dancers Say) 

I'm cross posting this to another thread I maintain called Incendiary Paleo which some of you might enjoy. http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/59585-incendiary-paleo/

This is a recipe for a Southwestern style oven-baked tilapia which is quite good. Enjoy.

Ingredients:

1 teaspoon garlic powder

1 teaspoon chili powder

1 teaspoon fine sea salt

1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

4 (6-ounce) tilapia fillets

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided

1 lime, cut into wedges

Preheat oven to 450°F. In a small bowl, mix garlic powder, chili powder, salt, black pepper and cayenne. Sprinkle evenly over both sides of tilapia.

Coat a baking sheet with 1 tablespoon of the oil. Arrange tilapia in a single layer on the baking sheet; drizzle with the remaining tablespoon of oil. Bake until golden brown and flesh begins to flake, 7 to 9 minutes. Serve with lime wedges on the side.

<p>Level 3 Troll AssassinSTR: 5.5 DEX: 2 STA: 6.75 CON: 3 WIS: 12.75 CHA: 5.75My Battle LogThe First Official Challenge of MOBIUS!!  The SECOND Official Challenge of MOBIUS!!  http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/69290-the-return-of-mobius/  Weight Loss Goal (106 lbs of 150lbs)

70.6%
70.6%
"Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never, ever, cut a deal with a dragon."

Okay, I NEED to try making the avocado chocolate pudding.  This is now on my list for this week.

I am seriously contemplating a "one new recipe per week" quest once I've moved into a house with a bigger kitchen.

• Like 1

🎪current challenge🎪

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

I am convinced avocados are the elixir of life & this proves it!

They are!  You can deep fry them, wrap them in bacon and replace mayo with them in lots of recipes (like egg salad or chicken salad). A co-worker of mine used the egg salad one and put it IN half an avocado for a special garnish during a potluck based on the recipe I shared with her.  It was awesome!

Okay, I NEED to try making the avocado chocolate pudding.  This is now on my list for this week.

I am seriously contemplating a "one new recipe per week" quest once I've moved into a house with a bigger kitchen.

Yay!  I love it, though it's the cocoa powder you want to double check on.  I know costco in my area has a dark cocoa package that's good quality (rochelle I think) and Fry's works well too.

... I also saw chocolate hummus floating around lately...

• Like 1

Challenges | Current |

Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | MFP

OOOOOOO SPARLY!!!  - Jenyne Butterfly (Shit Pole Dancers Say)

I need more Mighty Grip.  Do you have more Mighty Grip?  - Steven Retchless (Shit Pole Dancers Say) 

I love Rodelle. It's definitely the best dutch-processed cocoa for the price. :)

And dooo it, starsapart. I'm thinking I might to do a cooking-from-my-cookbooks goal, myself. I got all these lovely new cook books and have barely cracked them! It's a shame!

• Like 2

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Yesterday I made a frittata with tomatoes, sausage, and broccoli. Yum.

Ranger/Assassin Level 2

Strength: 4 | Dexterity: 1 | Stamina: 3 | Constitution: Wisdom: Charisma: 1

Paleo | Body weight workout | Weighlifting

Intro | Previous 6 Weeks Challenge | Current 6 Weeks Challenge

Starting weight: 180lbs

Current weight: 156.5lbs

Goal: +/- 140 lbs

There is nothing to fear but fear itself.

They are!  You can deep fry them, wrap them in bacon and replace mayo with them in lots of recipes (like egg salad or chicken salad).

Wait... deep fried, bacon wrapped avocado chicken salad??? *faint*

Yup, dreams do come true.

High Elf-Rakshasa Assassin | LVL 16 | STR: 18 | DEX: 11 | STA: 13 | CON: 6 | WIS: 18 | CHA: 19

Not that I'm advocating eating this exactly, but the deep-fried avocado egg rolls at BJ's are a thing of beauty and deliciousness.

🎪current challenge🎪

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

If you slice avocado, dip the slices in panko, and bake em... 

Avocado fries, my friends. You could do an egg coating or double breading if you want, but I found that the panko stuck just fine to ripe avocado slices without any eggy assistance! Serve with a chipotle aioli ooor idk, like cilantro dipping sauce.

• Like 2

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

If you slice avocado, dip the slices in panko, and bake em... 

Avocado fries, my friends. You could do an egg coating or double breading if you want, but I found that the panko stuck just fine to ripe avocado slices without any eggy assistance! Serve with a chipotle aioli ooor idk, like cilantro dipping sauce.

Holy Flying spaghetti monster, rapton! I NEED this. Like, now.

"Unfocused" Wizard // Rationalist of the order of Bayes

Lvl 5 Assassin. Lvl 33 Jack of all trades. 7 STR|6 DEX|7 STA|7 CON|16 WIS|8 CHA

Current challenge Wizard in the making: ero san's continuing road of magic

My drawings Sketchbook, Other afiliations The Loft

Does anyone have any experience with CSAs?

My workplace has a deal with a local coalition of organic farms, so my wife and I took the plunge today and signed up for 22 weeks of fruit shares.  We'll be getting fresh, organic fruit (of indeterminate type, ha!) delivered to our office every week starting mid-June!  I was considering the veggie shares, but I was afraid some items would go to waste as there are a few vegetables which neither of us is willing to eat (i.e. I will not touch a bell pepper of any kind in any form, ever).

Sooooooooooo, wondering if anyone else has done CSA before!  I don't doubt that I will be asking for ideas on what to make with 2 pounds of apples sometime this fall. :D

🎪current challenge🎪

instagram | goodreads

apples are easy…

…

day 1: dice or slice, squeeze lime, chile powder (not chili powder) and salt.

day 2: cook chicken and apple

day 3: sauteé in butter, splash of vanilla. then, dollop of cream on top

day 4: salad with greens, apple cubes and tangerine slices.

day 5: cube an apple, a pear, some strawberries, mix into half lemonade, half red wine. call it a sangria, be happy.

day 6: tuna and apple salad

day 7: steam a whole apple for 20 min. cut in half, eat with spoon

day 8: cube an apple, quarter of a honey dew melon, a peach or two, mix into half lemonade, half white wine. call it clericot, be happy again.

day 9: cubed apple, ground pork, bacon drippings, a pinch of Chinese 5 spices… 'nuff said.

day 10: bake em cut in half, topped with butter and almond meal for make-believe pies.

day 11: daydream about having the equipment to do Dave Arnold's apple-tinis… juice them, clarify with enzimes and a centrifuge, then use a rotovap to extract and then distill your own apple spirit, create a totally clear, kickass drink that looks like a martini, but is totally apple flavoured.

day 12: lime and chile again. because it is awesome. but grate it this time. throw in some shredded carrot, and jicama for giggles.

day 13: chopped apple, a banana, cinnamon, vanilla, a bit of stevia, pinch of salt, milk. blend it. drink an awesome "licuado de leche" mexican style. Great with breakfast. or intead of it.

day 14: peel, chop, cook… puree then add butter, serve with porkchops.

aaaand my phone battery is almost gone. so I'm gonna stop here but I could probably keep going. There is no end to the list. there's even fancier options… nitrofreeze the puree mixed with milk for icecream, dehidrate slices for awesome sweets, lyophilize (also called cryodissecate) them for crunchy apple-y goodness you can add to stuff, make a good gruyere and apple soup, etc. Cheers.

"Unfocused" Wizard // Rationalist of the order of Bayes

Lvl 5 Assassin. Lvl 33 Jack of all trades. 7 STR|6 DEX|7 STA|7 CON|16 WIS|8 CHA

Current challenge Wizard in the making: ero san's continuing road of magic

My drawings Sketchbook, Other afiliations The Loft