NightWatcher13 - Tuning up the T.A.R.D.I.S.

Alright, last challenge was pretty descent with all holidays etc figured in, but was also a laid back one given that holidays make certain things more difficult and I didn't want to overload my self-control bar. 

tardis-service-and-repair-manual.jpg

Main Quest - Looking at the new year (yes, I know, I hate NYResolutions too. Oh well) I have a handful of items I want to accomplish.

- GRE taken & grad school aps in, resulting in starting grad school this year

- Pull-ups and basic parkour by this summer. This is less aimed at the fact that I really just want to do them, and more at the fact that if I don't set a deadline and goals I won't get in shape period, and if I don't get in shape my body will probably fall apart. Literally. My shoulders and my hips/lower back need a ton of muscle to keep them together. While I don't feel ready to do either of those things right now, I can build the foundations to build them from.

- Get finances organized.

- 

SQ1 - Fitness goals - stabilize. Yoga or Pilates a minimum of 3 times per week to rebuild core strength and flexibility/balance, and a PLP substituting inv pullups for the real deal. Sadly I live in a frigid, snow-invested zone, plus cars terrify me in good weather let alone in winter, so no biking for me until spring :( 

Also, 1 session/week of MA, anything I can remember weapons or non.

SQ2 - Studies need to be addressed. Guitar is restrung, so music can start this time around rather than me pouting that I can't get to a practice room for a piano. I also have a G.R.E. study manual out from the library (because that's where broke people go to find useful info - thankfully psychic paper doubles as a library card!) which will mean a crazy amount of sit-down studying to get ready for the test.

GRE - 5 hours/week of studying prep work

Music - min 3 hours/week, can be 6 1/2hour session, 3 hour sessions, or whatever. To keep this from getting complicated I'll leave piano for later in the year. 

*JPN - 2 hours/week; if it's too much to keep up with everything this will be the first thing removed for the moment - I love it, but it's currently the least feasible thing on this list.

SQ3 - Food - I need to keep an eye on 3 things - raw plant intake, protein intake, and eating out. So I need to make sure I'm recording meals, keeping protein intake at least over 60g/day, preferably closer to 100, getting at least 1 salad in per day, since I've been eating more like 1/week, and cutting eating out to an epic treat once in a while rather than a quick meal when I'm running short on time. So more like sushi once a month rather than Taco Bell twice a week, or sometimes more...

Life Quest - Neatness. I lost all of my neatness - the room exploded. The T.A.R.D.I.S. may have an infinite capacity, but my room certainly does not, and currently looking for items in there qualifies as a quest by itself.

Here's 2015 - let's drop anything from 2014 holding us back and destroy this year with awesome wins!

tumblr_ls3popyVat1qf4l3a.gif

• Like 4

Current Challenge: Installing, Please Wait

Last Challenge :NW13 - System Failure, Please Reboot

Previous Challenges: 22 21 20 19 18 17 16 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

Hey guys!

Great goals. Looking forward to your progress and Dr Who gifs :).

Thanks

Woohoo! You're going to do great!

:D

10th-doctor-3d-david-tennant-doctor-doct

Definitely in for another round!

veu6mgjpg.gif

Awesome goals. How'd week 1 go?

Pretty darn good actually :) Pleased to meet you btw

OK, so week 1 went pretty spiffy. SQ1 was the exception to this, since my shoulders felt like they were being ripped out of their sockets basically last week (I'm seriously hoping the bipolar weather is the cause of this, Chiro just reset them today) so I only managed 3 days of my PLP challange, starting back up today at 1 again to see how they do. Also, my abs are looking at my like "hey, sucker - where's OUR work out!" >.>

I got my guitar re-strung and went from only remembering 1 chord to being able to play a few songs literally overnight. They were not played well, chord changes were hesitant and strum rhythm isn't perfect but there was much happy dancing with my no-longer-air guitar :) Now I need to keep the energy on this up and not drop the ball on my music.

GRE book has a worse attitude toward the test than I do - repeatedly pinging the company that makes the test for their bureaucracy and basically making a test that measures nothing other than how well you take this particular test, which I find absolutely hilarious. The actual studying for said test is slightly more frustrating right now, as my brain is still wondering why it has to stare at these not-so-interesting pages for significant time chunks.

Japanese did get dropped, the week was just too loony.

Food did pretty well. I didn't get as much raw fruits&veggies as I wanted, but did get a lot more servings of non-grain plant in. Protein stayed up around 100 until sunday, where my protein was equal to whatever was in the pepperoni on a couple of slices of Lil Caesar's pizza. 6 days out of 7, after not keeping it up for a bit - I'll take it ;)

Room is not 100%, and some parts are currently taking the brunt from other areas getting cleaned - desk got stuff taken off, and stuff that was hiding in the closet got thrown out of said closet. The floor is currently therefore a little cluttered, but semi-organized and improving. WOOT!

So not a perfect week by any stretch, but an improvement, with lots of room for *more* improvement.

omg_moar_cat.jpg

And so far this week's actually doing that! :D

• Like 3

Extra update for the last couple of days out of sheer insanity:

Yesterday was me running on 3 hours of sleep, once someone decided to start shoveling the sidewalk. Next to my window. At around 4:30/5am.

Had to babysit at 7:30 so basically no chance of sleep once the shoveler was done, did that until 2pm, then worked 3:30-midnight last night. To turn around and work at 6:30am this morning (no arm twisting, but I wanted the hours so I didn't want to turn down a shift). Got off at 3, ran a cord back to it's owner on my way to Chiro apt (no idea WHAT I would do without one of those!!!!), and then decided to go grab the ingredients I needed for the chicken noodle soup I've been wanting to make all week. Then remembered I needed yeast, and oh yeah I'm almost out of eggs, and oooh shiny Magnum chocolate/cherry icecream. Got home, told the roomie I'm at the point past tired where you can't sleep  So guess what one very sleep deprived NW is up to?

That's right, made a loaf of bread, making chicken noodle soup - the gooooood stuff, watching the last few episodes of Wake Up Call, and setting up the x-box in my room instead of the living room so it can be in either. Oh, and eating an entire. Box. Of. Icecream. Yup, it's one of those very interesting days :)

• Like 2

firefly-mal-explode.gif

crack_2.jpg?itok=IEpVgh5B

Week 2 went much less smoothly than week 1. The rest of the week wasn't much less hectic than what I told in the ice cream post, other than food wise. (Other than Tuesday food was good, had fruits and veggies, kept protein around 80-100g other than Sunday, and no - no more ice cream ;) )

Fitness got almost no attention >.< same with studying, no GRE study at all, only got to pull out the guitar on Sunday though probably got over an hour on it trying to learn a new song. Bedroom got some much- needed TLC thankfully though. It's still not 100%, but it's slowly becoming more manageable. Hopefully once this challenge is over it will be to the point that it can stay neat with just a quick pick-up, or better yet I'll actually get to the point that I put stuff where it belongs right away out of habit.

Yup, definitely feeling a bit buggy.

The "hacking the matrix" post this week was very applicable to my life right now, to say the least.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2015/01/19/dodge-this-how-the-matrix-can-help-you-take-control-of-your-life/

Lol! Arguing? Who won? ;)

I did :) they sounded much better once I was done, though still working on some of the chord transitions where I'm like "wait, my fingers aren't that fast yet!"
  • Like 1

Congratulations on winning from your guitar :).

Interesting that tou mentioned this weeks' the Matrix article, I also love that one. We're all looking for long-term solutions, it is often the way to the long term solutions that's hard. However, it seems like your challenges are well-chosen for long-term changes :).

Teehee winning even better now, kidnapped my friend's copy of Rocksmith so I'm learning a bit faster I think. Yea for gaming!!

I try to make my goals for long term growth, but I won't lie - sometimes I get super frustrated, either because I 'm not keeping up with what I set in the challenge or because I want results yesterday, dammit. It's really hard sometimes to take a deep breath and remind myself 'baby steps, you can't take more than one at a time but you have to keep moving'... 'cause I'm horrible at patience, period. I want to be already vaulting over rails, or playing I See Fire by Ed Sheeran, or have a 6 days per week perfect diet, so I have to watch that I don't get super mad at myself for being so slow, or not starting sooner, or just wanting to give up and say 'I didn't really want to learn that anyways'

• Like 1

I totally understand your frustration, I also often struggle when things are not going as fast as I want. Just stay patient, and if a goal seems too hard now, you can maybe scale it back a bit? My goals always seem ridiculously easy to myself, but always turn out to be harder than expected halfway. However, with the very simple goals I have made a lot of progress. This is of course different for everyone, but would it be more motivating for you if you set easier, less complicated goals? Just three things that are just a tiny bit more difficult than what you usually do?

Just 1.5 week to go, you can do it!

Keep up the work and one day you can play like the doctor.

doctorguitar2.gif

He does have mad skills on the air guitar lol. Working on it slowly but surely ;) someday I'll look less like a spooked goldfish staring at my Xbox screen or listening to the song I'm learning, I'm sure it's highly entertaining since I tend to talk at it, typically something along the line of "what the crap!" Lol
  • Like 1

So far this week's almost perfectly on track - which is both awesome and weird. Did yoga or Pilates for each of the last 3 days (yaaaay), missed it today but did 6 horse stalls, so I'm going to count those. Especially since a lot of them had poop frozen to the mats. If i sit still too long I'm a little stiff, but overall feeling pretty good.

Gotten 2-3 hours in on the guitar, most of it on Rocksmith but some on song that I was already working on ( Oh My God by Jars of Clay is my favorite right now that I have the chords for)

Room is 80% neat!!! This is awesome, the floor has been visible for over a week. W00T.

(Post more later)

• Like 2

So far this week's almost perfectly on track - which is both awesome and weird. Did yoga or Pilates for each of the last 3 days (yaaaay), missed it today but did 6 horse stalls, so I'm going to count those. Especially since a lot of them had poop frozen to the mats. If i sit still too long I'm a little stiff, but overall feeling pretty good.

Gotten 2-3 hours in on the guitar, most of it on Rocksmith but some on song that I was already working on ( Oh My God by Jars of Clay is my favorite right now that I have the chords for)

Room is 80% neat!!! This is awesome, the floor has been visible for over a week. W00T.

(Post more later)

Holy cow, that's great progress *looking back through your threads* especially your room! :)

• Like 1

The past is only smoke in a dream.

Lvl 6 Ranger Berzerker

STR 9 DEX 4 STA 9 CON 8 WIS 2 CHA 8

Barfly ain't even tryin'...

Holy cow, that's great progress *looking back through your threads* especially your room! :)

Yea, it's kinda weird but awesome to look at my room and not see exploded clothes or books or whatever else doesn't normally stay where it goes

Ok, continuing update. I took measurements late last week and I did go down 2 inches waist and hip, which is pretty sweet news.

My poor GRE study guide hasn't gotten much use though, and is due back to the library :/

Saturday was kinda insane - taught one of the girls who also helps at the farm to horse sled with one of the mini's, got out the new mini and let her ground drive him, while that was going on I hopped up on Cisco (my training project) and got a work out for both of us, especially since I still need work on my bareback riding. Got off and jogged with him a bit, then we got out the lovebirds and got on them, with saddles especially since the gelding is a high-energy horse with one bouncy trot. Worked them, which they loved since they haven't been out much in the winter months, then lunged the light draft for a bit. Finished by teaching her to tack a horse for cart and driving with a mini. (Also got stalls done before she got there)

So yea, yesterday was a "no do nuthin" day, period. Got up, went to church to run media, went back home, threw ingredients in a crockpot for cornish hen noodle soup, and flopped with my Xbox for basically the rest of the day. (Pizza & banjo-kazooi with my bestie later in the day) so weekend was fun, interesting, and I seem to have rested enough to get rid of most of the soreness.

Also, week six - how's we get here so fast?

• Like 1