Tyolka the Tubby Begins the Adventure to Assassin

sbdalbey

Introduction: 

I'm Tyolka, and I've lived too long ignoring my own health to cram my schedule with things for other people. I want to take care of myself WHILE trying to take care of other people so I can help take care of other people better.  Though I consider myself an assassin, circumstances in life (and time flying by so flippin' fast!) have turned me into the inevitable blob.  Becoming this blob has made life harder, quality of life is beginning to deteriorate, and I've recently found out it's the reason I haven't been able to have kids.

So it's time to change it all.  I'm 37, going on 38 in April, and it's time to take back control of my own life in a way that I feel happy about.  

My schedule is unbelievably packed - and not just me making excuses packed.  I'm going to be making TINY changes to begin this life long quest of change - finding the time to do this is going to take me a bit to rework my schedule, but I'm committed to doing so.  I'm a high school choral director, and this semester I'll be doing spring tour that has me out every weekend, after school rehearsals almost every day because we're putting on the Wizard of Oz, and then all of the other little things I've committed to do.  But I'm going to make changes.  I MUST!!

Main Quest:  Lose 10 pounds in 2 months

Quest 1: Walk at work at least 10 minutes everyday.

Measurement: A = Walk 10 min Every day during the week; B = Walk 10 min. 4 days out of the week; C = Walk 3 days out of the week; D = Walk 2 days out of the week; F = Walk 0 days out of the week

Reward: Still working on these

Quest 2: Drink at least 2 bottles of water a day

Measurement: A = Drink 2 bottles ; B = Drink 1 1/2 bottles; C = Drink 1 bottle; D = Drink 1/2 a bottle; F = Drink No water

Reward: Still working on these

Quest 3: Sleep 7 hours a night.

Measurement: A = Sleep 7 hours ; B = Sleep 6 1/2 hours; C = Sleep 6 hours; D = Sleep 5 hours; F = Sleep less than 5 hours

Life Quest: To make it through Spring Semester still accomplishing goals that lead toward weight loss and a better quality of life.

Measurement: A = Loss of 50 lbs by graduation; B = Loss of 40 lbs by graduation; C = Loss of 20 lbs by graduation; D = Loss of 10 lbs by graduation; F = No weight loss or weight gain (unless pregnant!)

Motivation:  I don't want to end up like my father who died a very miserable, prolonged death because of heart disease and diabetes.  And I want babies before I get too old to have them.

• Like 3

Level 1 Blob Bard/Assassin

[sTR] 0; [DEX] 0; [CON] 1; [iNT] 1; [WIS] 1; CHA [1]

RACE: Human Blob

Past Challenges: FOLLOW THE STRUGGLE (Challenge #1)

Current Challenge:

Battle Log: FIELD JOURNAL/BATTLE LOG IS HERE

Accountabuddies/Guilds: The Practice Room - 2015|Bards Do It Best!

Awesome goals and great plan to get there.

I am an assassin ambassador.We'd love to have you join us on the next challenge. Here's some links. Come say hello!

he Assassin Guild Info & Announcements

The Assassins' Den guild chat thread

The Level 1 Assassin Initiates Q&A/Chat thread

• Like 1

Wisdom 15.5   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 14  Constitution-11

Elastigirl:Just Living Life , Part II - Current Challenge: February 14 to March 20 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Thanks for posting.  I will definitely join - I may not be anywhere near where I need to be, but this is the first time I've felt like I can do this in a way that's understandable for me.  The level thing made total sense...the fact that the levels aren't dependent on the actual pounds lost and such, but on the fact that I'm sticking to the plan I've made makes all the difference in the world in my mind.  I'm pretty pumped about this for once :D.  I'd love to get back into hiking and rock climbing and stuff...I finally feel like I might get there one day!!

• Like 2

Current Challenge:

It is a new mindset for me-success doesn't depend on perfection, but rather on consistency and effort. And sometimes it is success even when you don't acheive those things, because by learning what doesn't work, you can discover what does work for you.

• Like 1

Elastigirl:Just Living Life , Part II - Current Challenge: February 14 to March 20 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

DAY #2:

Okay, so challenges have already arisen - I'm at work so often that I knew it would be the only place that I would actually be able to do any sort of exercise to fit into my schedule.  Luckily, I work at a school...lots of open places where I can walk, and I'm always having to stay after, so it's not a big deal just to go from here.

First I was going to do it during planning, but people needing stuff as usual got in the way.  So, I was going to do it directly after school - immediately 4 different people came in to talk about stuff.  I was going to go out in the hallway after they left, but I knew if I did, I'd still run into people who would stop to talk to me.  So I brainstormed and then remembered - I have keys to the auditorium. *light bulb comes on*.

So, I did more than I expected because I was busy looking for a pedometer app on my phone and ended up walking 15 minutes instead of 10.  Because I used to just sit and unwind by answering texts and stuff on my phone, today I did it while walking around the auditorium.  Which is great with an actual slight incline...even better.

It's a start - I have a feeling it's going to get too easy too quickly and I'll be upping the time.  I'm okay with that - I still have to teach dance routines and such, so even though I'm super heavy, I'm still flexible and as athletic as I can be at this weight.  I mean, I've already conquered my Mountain Dew addiction.  Haven't had any for almost 6 months now...I was drinking like 4 or 5 cans a day.  I still crave them terribly, but I know they're killing me.  Haven't sworn off all pop yet, but I'm now only drinking like maybe a little under 8 ounces in a day because I don't like anything else as much.

Mountain Dew will just have to remain my kryptonite...though, I'm not entirely sure Superman ever craved it...whatever - doesn't matter :).  Moving this weekend is going to be difficult - Thursday we leave for our retreat from Thursday to Sunday and we're going to be locked up in a cabin in single digit temperatures.  Nerf war with the students should suffice methinks...after all, it will be like 3 or 4 floors...making it up and down the steps should substitute...right?

Well, going to try and grade myself at the end of each week to see how I'm doing.  I am a teacher after all, and weekly progress reports help keep me on track with whether the students are getting it or not...this time it's to see if I'M getting it or not.

Enough for now - thanks for dropping in to read :).

Tyo 

Current Challenge:

It is a new mindset for me-success doesn't depend on perfection, but rather on consistency and effort. And sometimes it is success even when you don't acheive those things, because by learning what doesn't work, you can discover what does work for you.

YAAAASSSSSS!!!!!!

Sorry, I get really excited when I get it - and as ridiculous as this may sound - this is one of those light bulb moments for me.  Something you've read about and learned about in all of those productivity books, seminars, conferences, stupid teacher in-services that I hardly pay attention to - but suddenly it clicked because it as a different way to apply it in a way that made sense!

I've been talking about "being tired" of lots of things for a while and not doing squat about it - it doesn't matter how I get it done, it just matters that I'm consistent in the way I get it done - if it gets derailed, improvise and find another way to make sure you make that A at the end of the week.

Not kidding, this is the first time I've felt like this is actually possible.  I've been told and looked into a bunch of different surgery options to try and reverse whatever my hormones decided to do when I was 28 - but I think it's a bunch of bull - I've allowed what the doctors have told me to become my excuse instead of actually trying something different.  I can do this - I've done other stuff that's crazy and impossible before, and I know I can do this.

Sorry, I'm now hyper and on a rant after walking LOL. :D :D :D

• Like 1

Current Challenge:

YAAAASSSSSS!!!!!!

Sorry, I get really excited when I get it - and as ridiculous as this may sound - this is one of those light bulb moments for me.  Something you've read about and learned about in all of those productivity books, seminars, conferences, stupid teacher in-services that I hardly pay attention to - but suddenly it clicked because it as a different way to apply it in a way that made sense!

I can do this - I've done other stuff that's crazy and impossible before, and I know I can do this.

Hi! i followed you home from the "future fertility" thread.

I'm really inspired by your energy, and the way you are choosing to move forward and make big changes.

I know what you mean about the "light bulb moment" - I think Nerd Fitness was one (discovering it), and I have them all the time on the boards here - someone always has a great way of putting things, or a new goal reached, or a hand up for when there is failure. 

Just because I'm curious, what kind of activities do you want to learn to do/get better at? You mentioned above you want to be an assassin - what are your goals, physically? Or just ideas of things you'd like to try (I have a huge list of things that I might love, and am rabid to get a chance to try them out)

Anyway, welcome to the rebellion!

• Like 1

Tzippi Longstockings, level 9 Ranger/Monk 

Battle Log - My Fitness Pal - Quest to Find My Epic Quest - Challenges:   #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7,

The Westerosi Fitness Tour: Dorne Stormlands Vale the Reach Westerlands The Wall 

MamaBear Kiss Off Waterbending Rounding <<Current

The level thing made total sense...the fact that the levels aren't dependent on the actual pounds lost and such, but on the fact that I'm sticking to the plan I've made makes all the difference in the world in my mind.  I'm pretty pumped about this for once :D

Yes! We are running laps around the way we were, and getting better all the time! There is no minimum fitness level or maximum weight to be a Rebel!

fly_fishing_its_a_state_of_mind_button-r

• Like 1

Battle Log - My Fitness Pal - Quest to Find My Epic Quest - Challenges:   #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7,

The Westerosi Fitness Tour: Dorne Stormlands Vale the Reach Westerlands The Wall 

I love how you improvised and worked in the auditorium. And Nerf war sounds like a very fun way to move!

• Like 2

YAAAASSSSSS!!!!!!

I've been talking about "being tired" of lots of things for a while and not doing squat about it - it doesn't matter how I get it done, it just matters that I'm consistent in the way I get it done - if it gets derailed, improvise and find another way to make sure you make that A at the end of the week.

Not kidding, this is the first time I've felt like this is actually possible.  I've been told and looked into a bunch of different surgery options to try and reverse whatever my hormones decided to do when I was 28 - but I think it's a bunch of bull - I've allowed what the doctors have told me to become my excuse instead of actually trying something different.  I can do this - I've done other stuff that's crazy and impossible before, and I know I can do this.

I'm glad that this encouraged you. I can be a super perfectionist, and I was frequently down on myself. NF and all the encouraging people here have helped me to realize the value of consistency,effort, and looking at things that don't work not as failures, but as learning experiences.

• Like 2

Awesome realization!  it really helps when you find a new, more positive way to see the world, huh? ^_^

Hope week 1 went well?

• Like 1

🎪current challenge🎪

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

And back from the underground!  Took me a bit to get here because of the craziness of the weekend.  I'll be writing more later in the day, but thanks for all the replies - It's exciting to be in a community where people are really participating.  I'm staying home from work today to get some work done so I plan to be back on later today to continue these conversations answer the questions above, but for right now I have to catch up on my challenges, so here goes the one I missed last week:

Here are some questions to put your goals to the test:

1. Is your overall quest achievable (over a short or long period of time)?  Is it reasonable?  Yes - for the level I am starting at, I believe they are perfect as I try to reset my lifestyle and build in this new routine into a crammed schedule.

2. Do your 3 quests all build towards your main quest in little ways, or are you taking on too much? Do your quests have sub-quests or is it just one thing to focus on? Mostly just one thing to help build toward my main goal.  I still haven't written these goals down so that I can see them and remember them and work towards them.  That happens today - I'm skipping school so I can get some work done after that long weekend *grin*

3. Are your main goals realistic? Can you scale them to smaller steps to fit your life better, even if it will make it take a little longer to achieve them? Yes - and that's the difference of things I've tried before.  I'm trying to choose ways to fit them into what I already do to keep from having to change things too much as I begin.  Then over the summer and into the next school year I can begin to build better habits into my schedule.

4. Are your goals able to be measured and tracked?  What will you use to track them? I feel like they are - I followed the example of the SMART goals and made my own - and it was kinda scary just how much the goals created needed to be the ones that *I* created.

5. How are you grading your goals?  Are they pass/fail (“every dayâ€, “not even once over the six weeksâ€)?  Is there a reward for the effort, or are you only grading yourself on whether or not you “lose the weight†or “run the distanceâ€? The reward part is what's hard for me.  I'm not sure WHAT to do as a reward, because I really don't want it to be food related anymore.  The result of losing weight would be reward right now.  I'm interested to hear what kinds of rewards other people use.

6. What is your plan for continuing/altering/grading those goals if you become ill or injured? I have no contingency plan for this whatsoever and I need to look into this more.  Becoming ill or injured may mean I do strengh training instead of walking?  Becoming ill, in my mind, would make nutrition a bit moot I would think, because I'm not sure I'd be able to eat anything anyway??  Maybe up my water consumption :D

7. Did you take into consideration any special occasions (Labour Day, Independence Day, birthdays, anniversaries, etc) that may occur during the challenge?  What modifications do you need to build into your goals for those? I was hit with this immediately in week one with the student retreat - I used the steps some and had a game with the kids, but there was no contingency for eating when the meals were planned for me.  But what I'm working with right now is simply learning when I'm actually full and not over-eating.  I made headway on that this weekend.

8. Do any of your main goals conflict with each other? Will one goal make it hard to do another? No, I think they all go hand in hand pretty much.

9. Do you already have the time in your schedule to actually complete the goals you’ve set?  If not, what are you planning to do to make time for them? This is the crux of my problem.  To make time in my schedule I'm attempting to use things that I have around me so that when I do things, it doesn't take a huge change for me to be able to accomplish the goals.  It just takes me getting off my butt and accomplishing them.

10. Are you trying to build multiple habits, or is all your energy focused on your main quest? For the most part, the multiple habits are all focused toward the main goal.  With the water, it's simply replacing what I normally drink (pop, koolaide, etc.) with water, and then of course taking extra time to actually walk. The hardest adjustment is getting to bed on time because I'm usually a night owl but my job has me up way too early in the morning.  Finishing things up to be in bed on time when we have to eat so late because of after school activities is a rough one as well - my husband is a basketball coach.

Your mini quest: Make sure your goals are definitely SMART.

For completing this mini quest you will receive an additional +1WIS at the end of the 6 weeks.

• Like 1

Current Challenge:

PS - I have played so many video games on this computer in the past during downtime that the 'w' key has stopped working completely.  I always used it as an excuse because it's what I like to do to unwind from stress.  So maybe I could use my reward as more time on a particular game?  That seems counter productive as well, though, if my goal is to get me up and moving more.  Still struggling with ideas on some of this....

• Like 1

Current Challenge:

HI! Great job so far! I definitely have to follow your progress. Your starting where I started! I was 310 when I started losing weight, I am currently 280!

YAY! I'm glad to hear that - it's an encouragement to hear that I'm not the only one who is starting from this far out.  Any tips or any kind of information you have that may be helpful, please feel free to pass it along! 

AND YOUR AVATAR FREAKING ROCKS LOL!!

Current Challenge:

PS - I have played so many video games on this computer in the past during downtime that the 'w' key has stopped working completely.  I always used it as an excuse because it's what I like to do to unwind from stress.  So maybe I could use my reward as more time on a particular game?  That seems counter productive as well, though, if my goal is to get me up and moving more.  Still struggling with ideas on some of this....

I like to reward myself with cute exercise tanks (they motivate me to go to the gym so I can wear them, so double bonus), spa treatments (mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm fancy pedicure), and looseleaf tea.  Just a few ideas, maybe one of them will spark for you?

I do think playing games is fine as long as you don't sit and do it all day, every day, but if that's an issue, maybe look for other reward opportunities?

• Like 1

🎪current challenge🎪

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

Ah the video game thing...

Sometimes I will use it as a reward if I'm feeling lazy.  "Ok Dantilla, if you get off your butt and do that gym workout, you get to play for an hour afterwards."

Another possibility is exercise games.  You've probably heard of Zombies, Run! but for for those of us who ocaissionally have issues with running (raises hand), there is a walking game as well.  I haven't looked into it much, but I did use Zombies, Run! before I got that pesky running injury, and it really made a difference in my motivation.  Best combo of games and exercise since DDR.

BTW, also a bard.  I teach private voice and sing in several groups around town, including my own!

• Like 2

Dantilla

Level 3? Bard/Assasssin,

Needs to update her skills

STR 5 | STA 2 | DEX 1 | CON 5 | WIS 7 | CHA 6

Trained Skills:

Perform:  1

Climb:  2

Current Challenge

Hey there, love the enthusiasm and your goals seem like a lot of fun. I'll be following keep up with the updates!

Level 68. Adventure Knight. 

str 131.3 dex 122.3 sta 132.7 con 133.2 wis 150.5 cha 139.1 

"You have in you the seeds of greatness and the seeds of destruction. The seeds you nurture will prevail. Choose wisely."

"Spring comes, the grass grows by itself" ~Zen proverb

Tyolka, can I just say how amazing you are? It's hard enough changing one's lifestyle in the first place, but you are attacking much bigger challenges than I can even imagine - and with such zeal! Your enthusiasm is contagious! And hey - even though your goals may seem small to you right now, they will only help to firm up the foundation, the mindset of health, so you can keep going later on! I am so proud of you for taking this step to improve your life. I know too many people who are where you're at right now, who are doing nothing to fix it, and it makes me so sad. I'm so happy for you!

Nerd Fitness is great for the "lightbulb moments" - I always knew I should exercise and stuff, but I never really got the push I needed till I found this place. I mean, come on - combining fitness and everything I'm geeky about?? It's seriously one of the best things ever!

One of my goals is cutting out soda too (and candy, chocolate especially is EVIL and I cannot resist it's power). Try replacing your sodas with coffee or tea, sweetened with a bit of honey? That's what I'm trying to do whenever I get a craving for something sugary - have tea or some fruit instead. 

Also, I just wanted to point out that it's kinda funny that Mountain Dew is your kryptonite, as they are both green :D

• Like 2

"In the darkest times, hope is something you give yourself. That is the meaning of inner strength." -Uncle Iroh

For some "countable" goals (like in my chores mini-game), you can do a point-buy thing for relatively cheap things that aren't food. For me, it's 15 points = buy a new song on iTunes. I'm thinking another "little treat" would be going to the photo-booths Japan is famous for while I'm here.

For my bigger cleaning goal, I'm getting myself a choli and skirt dance set for belly dance. Maybe something like new items of clothing or accessories, new nail polishes (I had a friend who bribed herself with cheapish manicures and pedicures).

• Like 1

Tzippi, I would love to hear more about the points buy.  I need to look into the chores mini-game thing, because I have somehow missed it, or in my dazed state I don't remember it right now.

And Shadri, thank you for those words, because tonight I need them...update follows:

So today was one of THOSE days for me.  I started at work at 7:30 am and didn't get done until 9:00 pm.  When I got home, I realized I hadn't even remembered to walk.  There were meetings and rehearsals and copies and telephone calls and concerts to schedule and I feel REALLY defeated right now.  My emotions are only a signal that I haven't gotten enough sleep, and I have no idea where the water went lol.  So today, I got a big fat F *grin*  I'm not giving up, and I'm not so discouraged that I'm going to quit.  But I am really tired of being so busy that I can't take care of myself.  I have a hard time saying no, especially if I like something - and there's very little that I don't have fun doing.

So today, I don't remember what I ate, though there was some good asparagus in there somewhere, and I don't even remember if I overate.  I'm not feeling "sick" after eating, so think I did okay with that, but I am feeling overly full.

So my question is this - does anyone have a good way of keeping yourself from overeating?  Especially if you're in a place where you end up wolfing down your food in between things?

I appreciate y'all!

Tyo

Current Challenge:

Do you bring your own lunch from home? If you pre-portion your food for the day, then even if you had to scarf it down between activities, you could ensure ahead of time that you don't eat too much. :) Then the only danger is avoiding vending machines/cafeterias/etc, but it sounds like perhaps you're busy enough that that would be somewhat easy to avoid anyway.

• Like 1

"In the darkest times, hope is something you give yourself. That is the meaning of inner strength." -Uncle Iroh

Yeah, we no longer have vending machines because of the school food thing Michelle Obama put into place.  I have food left over from the retreat in the fridge, but most of that was fruit.  I literally can't remember what I ate today... o.o 

I've totally missed my mark on going to bed tonight, as well *facedesk*

OKAY I'M GOING TO BED RIGHT NOW!!! GOODNIGHT!!!

Current Challenge:

Hey, don't worry about it. Everyone slips up, especially right in the beginning. Life gets in the way A LOT. But today is a fresh new day! :) and I hope it is a wonderful and blessed and less-hectic-than-yesterday day. :)

• Like 1

I second the planning things in advance thing.

And yeah, some days are "more equal than others." I have some days like that myself, where I start day job work at 930 and don't have non-booked time until 9, 10, sometimes 11 due to rehearsals and/or teaching.

I bring my lunch to work almost every day (sometimes if it's a really busy couple of weeks, we just run out of food at the house) and on the days I don't, I get either sushi or a salad with chicken or tuna.  It actually helps a little bit that I eat gluten-free, so my options are automatically limited to begin with.

I try to have a plan for dinner as well, though that doesn't always happen!  As much as I prefer to make things using whole ingredients (they are cheaper, too!), I keep certain healthy "cheater" foods on hand for when I really just don't have time.  At my husband's suggestion, I started keeping a bag of frozen pre-cooked chicken breast strips in the freezer.  Much more expensive than raw unprepared breasts, but they have been a real live saver several times when I needed something healthy and didn't have time to do more than nuke something.  See also: frozen steam-in-bag veggies. :playful:

• Like 1

Dantilla

Level 3? Bard/Assasssin,

Needs to update her skills

STR 5 | STA 2 | DEX 1 | CON 5 | WIS 7 | CHA 6

Trained Skills:

Perform:  1

Climb:  2

Current Challenge