kristing getting it together again

kristing

Hey, I'm kristing! I'm currently a medical student in snowy and freezing Minnesota and I'm working on getting my health back on track. In a previous life, I was a competitive swimmer and soccer player. 

Life Quest: Get weight to 135 lbs

Goals:

1) Do strength training thrice per week (I'm using the Stronglifts system right now, and am in my 6th week) http://stronglifts.com

2) Eat according to the Whole30 system for 30 days starting in one week to get prepared (aka, eat good healthy stuff) http://whole30.com

3) Get to sleep before 10pm and wake up by 6am

Bonus Goal: Read a devotional every night and pray before sleeping

Grading:

1) 3x training * 6 weeks = 18 days ==> A = 16+, B = 14, C = 12, D = 10, E = 9

2) 30 days ==> A = 27 B = 24, C = 21, D = 18, E = 15 (tracking food with MFP)

3) 6 weeks = 42 days ==> A = 37+, B = 33, C = 29, D = 25, E = 21

Motivation: I want to be a good role model, for both my family and my future patients. I also want to feel better (and look hawt)

That's all for now!

kristing
Race: Rock Gnome | Class: Adventurer | Level: 1

[sTR: 0 | DEX: 0 | STA: 0 | CON: 0 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 0]

Current challenge: here

Challenge1: here (started late, but went somewhat strong)

Master Quest: <135 lbs

16.6%
16.6%
Starting: 165 lbs | Current: 160 lbs

Alrighty, MINI quest for week 1!

1) Make sure your goals are SMART

a) 3x weekly strength training

Specific - using the stronglifts 5x5 program

Measurable - yes/no on training and more weight lifted = strength goes up

Attainable - yes, 3x weekly shouldn't get in the way of studying and there's a gym 4 blocks from home

Realistic - yes, I've been successful at this since December 1

Trackable - yes, there's even an app for that!

B) Use Whole30 eating measures for 30 days 

Specific - what I'm allowed to eat and not eat is specific

Measurable - yes, I will write that shit down (as well as weight/pictures/measurements before and after the 30 days)

Attainable - yes, I will only buy food that's okay and will avoid eating out

Realistic - mostly, I've bought some food to prepare for the first week (starting Jan 12)

Trackable - yes, again, writing this stuff down on MFP

c) Go to sleep by 10pm, wake up by 6am (basically get 8 hrs sleep)

Specific - yep, clocks don't lie

Measurable - tracking my sleep on my Fitbit from when I turn sleep on until I turn it off

Attainable - mostly, school is hard

Realistic - yes, I love sleeping, the problem is waking up

Trackable - yes, Fitbit magic!

As part of Trackable, I will TRY to post to my challenge log at least 2x weekly and shows graphs (for lifting) and shit about how things are going. If you'd like to help me and make me even more accountable for this, feel free to message me and we can become MFP/FitBit friends!

2) New years resolution: make it SMART and make it a compilation of small steps 
I've had my fitbit for over a year now and I really like how it motivates me to walk more, however, studying/being in school all the time kind of messes that up. HOWEVER! I have a plan.
Goal = walk 10k steps at least 5x week (take the stairs in alll the buildings + walk my friends dog, unless it's negative bazillion degrees outside in which case I guess I'll run around the hospital some)

kristing

16.6%
16.6%

Ah, the elusive 8 hours of sleep. Best of luck to you! My MFP and Fitbit profiles are in my sig, if you're interesting in being friends. I'm kinda sporadic about them now but working on getting more consistent.

• Like 1

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Hi there readers (I'm kind of amazed that people are reading this btw, it's kind of cool)

So we're about 4 days into the challenge and life is, well, challenging. It's positively freezing outside, which added onto my SAD/depression makes it extremely difficult to get out of bed in the morning, and out of the house at all. I've been doing really well with going to sleep by 10 (reading my devotional beforehand) and getting 8 hours of sleep, but I overslept the last two days by a good 2 hours. I guess it's alright at the beginning of the semester and we've only had 15 lectures, but still, I feel bad. 

In terms of exercise, I failed pretty badly on Monday because I didn't leave myself enough time for my workout before I had to be back in class, so instead of 5x5 I did 3x5 and failed almost all those sets as well. Yesterday I somehow spent the entire day under blankets watching Parenthood on Netflix and didn't make it to the gym. Today was better and I did relatively well with the sets. I'm realizing that I'm going to have to allow myself more time for my workouts since the weights are heavy and warming up is even more vital. 

Annnd lastly for diet. I'm cleaning out my fridge (and hiding the stuff in my pantry) to get ready for the start of Whole30 on Monday. I went to the local Co-op and bought a lot of delicious veggies and some top sirloin, plus Costco for some kiwis and chicken boobs, so hopefully it'll go well. I'm planning on cooking for next week tomorrow or Saturday so I don't have the chance to think about what I'm going to eat (no choices means no failure, right?)

That's basically it, I'll be posting some graphs and stuff like that with my progress on Monday showing week 1. 

ALSO, I ride my bike in the winter and today was basically blizzarding in Minneapolis, which means LOADS of FUN. So if you like riding bikes in the winter, like my post!

kristing

16.6%
16.6%

BIking in the snow sounds miserable, no thank you. D: Sounds like you're off to a good start! My brother has one of those natural light lamps that he uses for like an hour a day to help with SAD and depression. Have you considered something like that? Just throwing it out there bc I have nothing else to offer. ^^

• Like 1

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Annnd it's been a week. This means that my Whole30 started today, yay!

I measured and weighed myself, as well as took pictures for the before part of the whole30

post-34128-0-01608900-1421086951_thumb.ppost-34128-0-09496600-1421086952_thumb.ppost-34128-0-29170500-1421086953_thumb.p

SL for the last week

post-34128-0-05374900-1421086937_thumb.p

Made some food, it was delicious :)

Yep, that's it. If you have any suggestions for not failing at the whole30, let me know! Other encouraging thoughts always welcome. 

• Like 1

kristing

16.6%
16.6%

Picture food log will be updated in the below Dropbox folder, since I realized that logging this all in MFP would be a pain. (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/n9g3e4krhpkke4d/AADjsRqviM6SVxeVDO7GJoYYa?dl=0)

Happy Hump day!

kristing

16.6%
16.6%