K.I.S.S. Keep It Super Simple - that's what I'm going to do. There is a back story to why I'm doing this challenge the way I am, but I don't have time to share it now. Suffice it to say, I learned a great deal over the last year which has put me on a track to have a healthy relationship with food and I no longer obsess about food. Because I am at this point I feel like I can track my food now, aiming for a certain calorie goal and not get freaked out when certain foods show up on my list of foods. My goal is to stay within a certain calorie range regardless of the foods that show up on the list.

Important Information

Female, 51 years old

In the last year I've experienced fatigue where when I come home from work all I want to do is sit and watch tv - this is not normal for me - During this challenge I'll be tracking lots of things (sleep habits, foods eaten, how I spend my time throughout the day, exercise, etc.) I'm hoping that by having 6 weeks worth of that kind of information I might be able to figure out something about the fatigue.

In the last year I've gained 25-30 pounds - I was very happy with the way I looked and felt before gaining those 25-30 pounds.

BMR = 1553 - I should not eat below this number of calories ever - this is what I need to sustain the life in my body, to eat less than this would be starving my body

TDEE = 2532 -This is the number of calories I need to maintain my current activity level. If I want to lose weigth I need to eat at a deficit of my TDEE so I will plan to eat 2000 calories per day.

I DO NOT restrict any foods. I know this is opposite of what academy members do, but in the last year I worked through a process called "Eating The Food" and now I see ALL food as fuel. I see some foods as being more nutrient dense than other foods. I see that some foods are better at helping me achieve my long-range health and fitness goals but if I want a pop tart I'm going to eat a pop tart and furthermore, after I eat the pop tart I will not feel guilty about eating it, nor will I exercise an extra hour to burn off the extra calories. Those characteristics were the old me, I have a healthy relationship with food now, I eat what I want, when I want it and now I will use this challenge to help me learn how much food I can eat and stay at approximately 2000 calories.

So here is my challenge:

Life Quest: Fit into my Summer 2013 clothes - I don't care what the number on the scale is when I get to this point, it won't matter becasue I will fit into some awesome clothes that look good on me and make me feel good!

Strategy #1: Track my food daily on MyFitnessPal. Aim for 2000 calories per day.

Strategy #2: Eat 3 servings of veggies every day!

Strategy #3: When running use the heart rate monitor and stay at 129-135 bpm, which is 60-70% of my maiximum heart rate.

Personal Life Strategy #4: Lay out all of my clothes for tomorrow (everything - underclothes, socks, jewelry, jackets or vests, etc.)

I will update this with more infor later in the week. I at least wanted to get my strategies in a post.

1/18/15 updating my grading and attribute point information

Attribute points

#1 Track food daily - Wisdom +4

#2 Three veggies per day - Constitution +4

#3 Use HR monitor when running - Stamina +3

#4 Lay out clothes every evening - Charisma +4

For  #1, 2, & 4 I will grade on a scale of how many days I accomplish it out of the seven days of the week. 7/7 = 100%, 6/7 = 86%, etc.

For #3 I will grade on how many times I run and how often I use the HR monitor - this should be an easy 100%, but is a necessary goal to get me back in the habit of using it.

• Like 2

Class/Profession: Hobbit/Ranger - Level 4

Current Attributes: STR: 2, DEX: 3.5, STA: 8.5, CON: 8.5, WIS: 11.5, CHA: 4

Habits I'm Working On: #1, #2

Previous Challenges: #1, #2, #3.1(fail), #3.2

Quote: "If we did all the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves." Thomas A. Edison

WEEK ONE REPORT

Monday, Jan. 5, 2015:

#1  2127 calories  over by 127 (but under my TDEE)

#2  4 to 5 servings of veggies

#3  30 minute run 1.53 miles Avg HR 132 - spot on. The goal is to keep running in the 129-135 range and eventually I will run 1.53 miles faster than in 30 minutes.

#4  Cllothes are laid out for tomorrow.

Tuesday, Jan 6, 2015:

#1 2240 calories over by 2240 (but under my 2500 TDEE)

#2 4 to 5 veggie servings

#3 45 minute walk at the mall

#4 Clothes are laid out for tomorrow

Wednesday, Jan. 7, 2015

#1 1750 calories

#2 4 servings of veggies

#3 32:22 minute run Avg HR 133 - spot on

Thursday, Jan. 8, 2015

#1 1616 calories

#2 3 servings of veggies

#3 no exercise - it's that time of year, beginning of the semester and I brought work home with me and got started on it right after supper

Friday, Jan 9, 2015

#1 1892 calories

#2 1 serving of veggies - goal not met

#3 no exercise

#4 Clothes laid out for tomorrow

Saturday, Jan 10, 2015

#1 2194 calories

#2 0 veggies - I planned to get the veggies at supper with beef stew, but had an unexpected visitor during the afternoon and we went out to eat. I'm okay with that. I'd much rather spend time with my sister-in-law than tell her, sorry you have to go home, I need to eat my three veggies at supper tonight.

#3 no exercise

Sunday, Jan. 11, 2015

#1 1734 calories

#2 3 serving of veggies - goal not met

#3 no exercise

Quote: "If we did all the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves." Thomas A. Edison

nice set-up!

are you deducting your exercise from your calories?

• Like 2

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

nice set-up!

are you deducting your exercise from your calories?

Karinajean, I'm not really sure what you mean when you ask if I'm deducting exercise from my calories. When I figured my TDEE I figured in my exercise as part of my activity so if I figured it correctly if I ate right at 2500 calories per day I'd maintain my weight with the current exercising I do. From everything I've read it says people generally overestimate their exercise and underestimate how much they eat so you have to figure your TDEE and pick your deficit and stick with that plan for several weeks and see what happens. If you gain then you overestimated exercise and/or underestimated intake and need to make adjustments. If you lose then you know you are pretty much on target. I'm just going with the 2500 calories whether I exercise an hour, 15 minutes or none at all because the 2500 was an average between what I got on my exercise and non-exercise days. I didn't want to have a calorie goal for exercise days and non-exercise days because I wanted to K.I.S.S!

Ah, gotcha. I figure my TDEE as a sedentary office worker w little exercise, so if I exercise I can eat a little more and still stay in budget. But I a daily calorie tracker so that's what works for me!

Sent from my iPhone while riding a unicorn through the cosmos.

• Like 1

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

Today was the first day I "knew" at breakfast I wasn't going to get my three servings of veggies in. How did I know this? A little back story is necessary: This is the first week back to work for the spring 2015 semester. It is a week when we have meetings, need to prep stuff for the semester, etc. I always get the stuff done that I need to get done, but I tend to do better when I work at home and don't have work distractions. So last night I was focused on getting an online class done and I stayed up until 2:45am doing so. Needless to say this morning I was tired so I fixed a breakfast burrito (no veggies), decided to go out for lunch (maybe one serving of veggies) and our Friday night supper would be something easy like a ham and cheese omlet or buttered popcorn (no veggies). Even though I knew I wasn't going to get the three servings of veggies in I decided not to beat myself up. After all, this was a very busy week, and I was successful with my veggie strategy most of the week.I celebrated the fact that for 11 days I HAVE eaten three servings of veggies every day and told myself tomorrow is another day and I made a plan about what I was going to eat tomorrow so I would get my three servings in then. I have found that it is as important to accept the fact that while I am working to change a habit, it will not always go 100% perfectly and that's just the way life works. The important thing is to not let that imperfection hinder me from continuing to work on the habit.

Looks pretty solid.  For the food 'restriction'; different models work for different people. For me, I have an addictive personality so I can't simply have just a little of anything.  I've found cutting out a ton of food has gotten rid of my suicidal-levels of depression and overwhelming anxiety that I dealt with for close to 20 years.

Good luck this challenge and have fun :)  Any questions, feel free to post at the Tavern or send me a private message.

• Like 1

Looks pretty solid.  For the food 'restriction'; different models work for different people. For me, I have an addictive personality so I can't simply have just a little of anything.  I've found cutting out a ton of food has gotten rid of my suicidal-levels of depression and overwhelming anxiety that I dealt with for close to 20 years.

Good luck this challenge and have fun :)  Any questions, feel free to post at the Tavern or send me a private message.

Teros,

Thank you for the reply. I don't remember any of the guild leaders ever commenting on my other two challenges when I was in the Ranger group (I could be mistaken, it was almost a year ago and I'm getting old, lol)!

I agree 100% that different models work for different people. I believe I have finally found what works for me. I am so comfortable with food now and I can't believe how much less stress I have in my life. I didn't go into much detail in my original post because this is a crazy hectic time of year for me but at one time I did restrict foods that I felt weren't healthy. I almost got to the point I wouldn't eat anything with sugar, including fruit, or anything that came out of a package. That limited my food to the point that I kind of quit eating. Then one day I went kind of crazy and said, "I can't do this anymore, I'm gonna eat all the stuff I haven't been letting myself eat." That led to several months of eating a lot of not-so-healthy foods and eating more of it than I should. Of course, my weight ballooned up. Fortunately, I was part of a facebook group called "Eating The Food." My take aways from them are

1. All food is fuel
  2. There are no evil foods
  3. Some foods are more nutrient dense than others
  4. People binge because they restrict foods
  5. Stop restricting and you will stop binging
  6. My Basal Metabolic Rate BMR is the number of calories my body needs to exist and I should never eat below my BMR
  7. My Total Daily Energy Expenditure TDEE is the number of calories I need to maintain my weight at my current activity level
  8. If I want to lose weight I need to eat at a calorie deficit below my TDEE
  9. I can also increase my activity level a little bit to create more of a calorie deficit, but I do not have to exercise 2 hours a day
  10. Strenght training is the most important exercise I can do for my body
  11. I should do strength workouts that create functional strength so that I can do more things throughout my regular day

Most of this information falls in line with what I've read in NF and in the academy, but how this group REALLY helped me was with the "if you stop restricting, you will stop binging." You mentioned you have an addictive type personality so simply can't have a little bit of some things. I don't have any training in any of this and I don't want to spout of like I know it all because I don't. Everyone has to do what works for them. I used to be a person who didn't buy certain things because I'd binge on them if I had them at home. However, when I went that little bit of crazy and ate all that food I'd been restricting I was working the process the Eating the Food folks talked about and for me it worked. I eventually got to the point that I can now have any foods in my house and I eat them occassionally, when I really want them. I don't know, it's so wierd, I've never been like this before so I can't even really explain it. I just know that over the holidays I ate very little sweet stuff and that is what I usually eat in abundance. If I could have one wish for all the people who struggle with food, it would be that they find whatever works for them AND allows them to be stress free when it comes to food. We have enough stress in our lives, we certainly don't need to be stressing about food all the time.

Anyway, thanks for the comments, hopefully I'll have time in a week or so to read through some of the other challenges. Now I need to post my week one wrap up and get back to my school work!

Week One Wrap Up

Strategy #1: Track my food daily on MyFitnessPal. Aim for 2000 calories per day (14,000/week).

Major Success: Some days I was a little over 2000 and some days a little under, but for the whole week I was at 13,553. I tried to overestimate to be on the safe side.

Strategy #2: Eat 3 servings of veggies every day!

Moderate Success: I managed to get 3 servings 5 out of the 7 days. I am definitely more conscious about vegetables. It takes a bit of planning to figure out what veggies to eat and when to eat them. About half way through the week I started eating some baby carrots at breakfast. I guess I've always thought it was wierd to eat veggies at breakfast, but I'm turning it into a normal thing.

Strategy #3: When running use the heart rate monitor and stay at 129-135 bpm, which is 60-70% of my maiximum heart rate.

Major Success: I'm so glad I picked this. I only ran twice, but I felt good when running and was able to run for 30 minutes. It was super slow, but I know if I stick with it, I'll speed up so that by the time spring gets here I'll be running a less slow pace when I can get outside.

Personal Life Strategy #4: Lay out all of my clothes for tomorrow (everything - underclothes, socks, jewelry, jackets or vests, etc.)

Major Success: I laid out my clothes every evening.

#1 Track food - A 100%

#2 Eat three servings of veggies - C 75% 5 of 7 days

#3 Use HR monitor A 100%

#4 Lay out clothes A 100%

Things went well this week even though it was my first week back at school. I think the key to my success is that I decided to keep it simple. I guess one never gets too old too learn!

+ 1 Wisdom for completing the mini-challenge of having smart goals.

Week 2 Daily Report

Monday, January 12, 2015

Strategy #1: 1098 calories - uh oh, today was a no no - this was probably 400 calories below my BMR. The first thing that happened was I knew I had a breakfast burrito at work so I didn't eat anything but veggies for breakfast. I was going to eat when I got to work. Well, I got to work and all of a sudden looked up at the clock and it was 11:00 so I went ahead and ate my lunch. It's not often that I forget to eat, but it happened this morning. Then I worked until 6;00pm, came home and made muffins to take to work tomorrow. I ate a muffin's worth of batter and then wasn't really than hungry so I didn't eat any dinner. After spending some time on the computer I was too tired to eat so I just went to bed.

Strategy #2: 3 servings of veggies - I had to eat carrots before going to bed, but I got my three servings in!

Strategy #3: no exercise

Strategy #4: clothes laid out for tomorrow

Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Strategy #1: 1891 calories

Strategy #2: 3 veggies

Strategy #3: no exercise - I'm probably not going to exercise this week, I'm barely staying caught up with work and I'm putting in a lot of extra hours right now. Since I know this is temporary I decided to just take a week break from working out

Strategy #4: clothes are laid out for tomorrow - I'm kind of enjoying this. By laying out my clothes for tomorrow I am adding jewelry to my outfit so I feel more put together!

Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Strategy #1: 2003 calories

Strategy #2: 4 veggies

Strategy #4: laid out clothes for tomorrow

Thursday, January 15, 2015

Strategy #1: 1821 calories

Friday, January 16, 2015

Strategy #1: 1849 calories

Strategy #2: 1.5 veggies - I would have gotten all my veggies but I forgot to put my turkey wrap in the refrigerator when I got to work so I had to toss it.

Saturday, January 17, 2015

Strategy #1: 2699 calories - we had a "watch movies all day" day so I had a bunch of candy and popcorn I wouldn't normally have, but it was an awesome day of fun and relaxation!

Strategy #2: 1 veggie on my homemade sub sandwich

Strategy #4: laid out my clothes (well my sweats because tomorrow I'm lounging around the house all day)

Sunday, January 18, 2015

Strategy #1: 1645 calories - I cut back on the calories today since I went way over yesterday

Strategy #4: laid out my clothes

Week Two Wrap Up

Week 2 Report

#1: A 100% - tracked calories all 7 days - 13,006 calories which is on target since I'm aiming for around 14,000 (2000 per day)

#2: C 75% - ate 3 servings of veggies 5 of 7 days

#3: no grade because I didn't run this week

#4: A 100% laid out my clothes all 7 days

I am pleased with my progress so far. The tracking doesn't seem to be an issue like it has in the past. I'm not sure why it is so easy for me now except that I'm unofficially working on eating around 2000 calories per day to see if that is an appropriate calorie range for losing weight. Although I only got a C for eating three servings of veggies every day, that's okay because I'm still eating way more vegetables now than I have in the past. Also, laying out my clothes is going well and I don't feel so plain like I used to because I'm putting together whole outfits including jewelry.

+1 Wisdom for completing the mini-challenge of cleaning an area that I had been ignoring.

Week 3 Daily Report

Monday, January 19, 2015

#1 (tracking calories) - 1746 calories - good thing I didn't eat too much during the day because I made chocolate chip cookie dough and between cookies and dough I probably consumed 12 cookies

#2 (# of veggie servings) - 3 servings of veggies

#3 (HR monitor when running) - Ran (with some walking to slow heart rate down occassionally) for 30 minutes, 1.6 miles, avg HR 133

#4 (clothes laid out for next day) - done!

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

#1 (tracking calories) 1912 calories

#2 (# of veggie servings) 6 servings

#3 (HR monitor when running) Ran verrryyy slowly (3.1 mph) for 30 minutes 1.6 miles, avg. HR 133

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

#1 (tracking calories) 1529 calories

#2 (# of veggie servings) 5 servings

#3 (HR monitor when running) uhg! planned on at least getting on the bike, but stayed late at work to get some grading done, it's a juggling act trying to get everything done - no exercise

Thursday, January 22, 2015

#1 (tracking calories) 2025 calories

#2 (# of veggie servings) 4 servings

#3 (HR monitor when running) no exercise

Friday, January 23, 2015

#1 (tracking calories) 2197 calories

#3 (HR monitor when running) only lifted weights today

Saturday, january 24, 2015

#1 (tracking calories) 1930 calories

#2 (# of veggie servings) 3 servings

Sunday, January 25, 2015

#1 (tracking calories) 2022 calories

#2 (# of veggie servings) 1 serving

Teros,

Thank you for the reply. I don't remember any of the guild leaders ever commenting on my other two challenges when I was in the Ranger group (I could be mistaken, it was almost a year ago and I'm getting old, lol)

Anyway, thanks for the comments, hopefully I'll have time in a week or so to read through some of the other challenges. Now I need to post my week one wrap up and get back to my school work!

I try and get to everyone at least once or twice over the course of the challenge. I'm the only GL here, but I think that stopping by helps have a stronger sense of community.  That's also why I have the communal Tavern to talk/ask stuff as well as 1 thread for all the minis.  The only reason I haven't been on more is because I'm going through a lot of home drama that has sucked all my energy away. (It's hard trying to still live with an ex g/f after being together after I ended a toxic enmeshed relationship for 12 years.)

I understand the idea behind restricting/binging.  For me, what helped was not being as extreme as a whole 30. Trust me, there is a massive difference between 100% whole 30 and 99% whole 30.  That 1%, after I mentally tackled the physical sugar cravings; was the best thing that worked for me. I didn't feel mentally deprived.  With the holidays, I tried to stay strong as long as possible, but it's difficult when the other 4 people in the house are all diabetics that will spend 100s of dollars on junk food.  It's been slow in getting back on track; but I'm getting there.

• Like 1

Week 3 Wrap Up

#1: A 100% - tracked calories all 7 days - 13,361 calories which is on target since I'm aiming for around 14,000 (2000 per day)

#2: B 86% - ate 3 servings of veggies 5 of 7 days

#3: A 100% - both times that I ran last week I used the HR monitor and stayed within the zone I'm aiming for

#4: A 100% laid out my clothes all 7 days

I am feeling like this is a perfect challenge. By that I mean I picked goals that were achievable/not so "out there" that I would struggle getting them done every day. Normally, being the overachiever that I am, I would have picked something like, "I will eat 5-6 servings of veggies every day." I don't think I could have hit that goal very many days because I've literally had to work at making sure I get three veggies in every day. Now after three weeks I have kind of figured out how to make sure I get those servings in and after doing this for, say, three months THEN I may up it to 5-6 veggies.

I guess this is a huge lesson for me, don't go overboard when setting goals. Remember to K.I.S.S. Keep It Super Simple! Achieving a years worth of super simple goals will take me further than failing at most of a years worth of hard core goals and my mentally I will be in much better shape because I hate failing at anything.

+1 Constitution for drinking two glasses of water every day for the week.

Week Four Daily Report

Monday, January 26, 2015

#1 (tracking calories) 1966 calories

#3 (HR monitor when running) strength workout, no running

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

#1 (tracking calories) 1834 calories

#2 (# of veggie servings) 5 servings of veggies

#3 (HR monitor when running) run 30 minutes Avg HR 133

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

#1 (tracking calories) 1704 calories

#3 (HR monitor when running) strength training workout, no running

Thursday, January 29, 2015

#1 (tracking calories) 1768 calories

Friday, January 30, 2015

#1 (tracking calories) 1600 calories

Saturday, January 31, 2015

#1 (tracking calories) 2700 calories

#2 (# of veggie servings) 2 servings

#4 (clothes laid out for next day) - it's gonna be a lazy Sunday, I'll figure out what to wear when I get up and get moving!

Sunday, February 1, 2015

#1 (tracking calories) 2070 calories

#2 (# of veggie servings) 3 to 4 servings

I try and get to everyone at least once or twice over the course of the challenge. I'm the only GL here, but I think that stopping by helps have a stronger sense of community.  That's also why I have the communal Tavern to talk/ask stuff as well as 1 thread for all the minis.  The only reason I haven't been on more is because I'm going through a lot of home drama that has sucked all my energy away. (It's hard trying to still live with an ex g/f after being together after I ended a toxic enmeshed relationship for 12 years.)

I understand the idea behind restricting/binging.  For me, what helped was not being as extreme as a whole 30. Trust me, there is a massive difference between 100% whole 30 and 99% whole 30.  That 1%, after I mentally tackled the physical sugar cravings; was the best thing that worked for me. I didn't feel mentally deprived.  With the holidays, I tried to stay strong as long as possible, but it's difficult when the other 4 people in the house are all diabetics that will spend 100s of dollars on junk food.  It's been slow in getting back on track; but I'm getting there.

Sorry to hear about the home drama, that always sucks the life out of you. Right now my life is pretty calm, we are fairly new empty-nesters and I love it! I am not a mom that cried when my youngest one moved into an apartment at college (3 hours away) knowing that he wouldn't be home next summer. I love my two boys, but I'm proud of how they turned out and am excited to see what they will do as adults AND I'm ready for an easier life than the stress and chaos of having kids at home! I'm had my share of drama due to my sister-in-law when I was working a fairly new job and finishing up my master's degree. It basically turned my life upside down at a time when I didn't have time to deal with it so I get it.

It's interesting to hear that 99% whole 30 and 1% whatever works for you. In November 2013 right after Thanksgiving I did a 21 day sugar detox. The only foods I could eat were meats, vegetables (no starchy veggies), some nuts, and seeds. It was very restrictive. I actually did two of these detoxes and was successful with both of them. When I finished the last detox I was going back to Paleo eating with the idea I wouldn't eat any processed foods and I'd limit my sugar intake. I said, "I'll do 80% Paleo and 20%." That was when I kind of went off the deep end and realized I couldn't restrict foods like that. It just doesn't work for me. I do believe eating and exercise are very personal and people need to do what works for them. It makes me mad when people try to push what they are doing on other people because "it's the right way" or "it'll make you healthier if you do it THIS way." I'm a pretty laid back person and my thought is if you don't like it then no matter how good it is for you, you won't keep with it so you need to find something else that you do like and will be able to sustain. For example, I was doing strength workouts that required 45 minute workouts and sometimes I only have 30 minutes to workout. So I adapted the workouts even though the program said to do it "this way because this is the way you will get benefit from it." Well you know what, even though I only did 30 minute workouts, I was working out 3 times a week and I did gain strength over time because I went from bench pressing 30# dumbbells to bench pressing 35# in 3 weeks. Okay, sorry, I got a little side-tracked there. 

I hope things calm down for you soon!!!

• Like 1

Week 4 Wrap Up

#1: A 100% - tracked calories all 7 days - 13,642 calories which is on target since I'm aiming for around 14,000 (2000 per day)

I'm feeling really good about tracking. I haven't checked to see if I'm losing weight, I'll do that at the end of the challenge. However, by the feel of my clothes I don't think I'm losing. This gives me a good gauge to know I'm hitting my target calories for maintaining and by tracking I am starting to see some patterns about my eating habits. I have identified a couple of areas where I can make some changes which will reduce the number of calories I'm eating so if I do need to reduce by 500 calories I have a plan forming in my head and it is not freaking me out. With this in mind, I'm really looking forward to the next challenge as an extension of this one.

#2: B 86% - ate 3 servings of veggies 6 of 7 days

This is becoming more automatic. Spinach is now my best friend!

#3: A 100% - both times that I ran last week I used the HR monitor and stayed within the zone I'm aiming for

For my next challenge I need to do something about getting in more exercise. I have some thoughts whirling in my head like walking at work once per day for 15 minutes or twice per day for 10 minutes each. That would get me away from my desk which I desparately need. I don't like this light teaching load I have this semester, too much sitting. The other idea I have is 30 minutes of exercise five days a week. The type doesn't matter, but some type of movement for a minimum of 30 minutes.

#4: B 86% laid out my clothes all 6 of 7 days 

I decided purposely to be lazy Saturday night and not do this. Partly it was because I knew Sunday morning I was going to sleep in and have a lazy morning so there was really no need to plan ahead. The other part was because I tend to be a perfectionist and for me not being perfect all the time is an important thing to be okay with, so I decide to blow my 100% rating on this to show myself, it's okay to not be perfect! :peaceful:

Here we go week five!

Week Five Daily Report

Monday, February 2, 2015

#1 (tracking calories) 1754 calories

#3 (HR monitor when running) no running, strength training workout

My stomach was a bit queasy today. I think it was because I ate a bunch of junk yesterday

Tuesday, February 3, 2015

#1 (tracking calories) - 1692 calories 1909 - ate a bunch of snacks around 9:00pm

#3 (HR monitor when running) 45 minute run, 136 avg heart rate

Mini challenge 5 minute meditation - no

Wednesday, February 4, 2015

#1 (tracking calories) 2040 calories

#2 (# of veggie servings) 2

#4 (clothes laid out for next day) - done

Mini challenge 5 minute meditation

My eating has been a bit abnormal since the weekend. I ate a bunch of junk on Sunday. I was just over 2000 calories, but most of what I ate that day was not nutritious. I don't feel bad about eating that kind of food, it one day in a series of days where I usually eat nutrient dense foods. However, I think it threw something off because I've been feeling like crap since then. Feeling like crap as in my stomach is yucky, not sick by feels yucky so I'm just eating what sounds appetizing and right now veggies don't sound too appetizing.

Thursday, February 5, 2015

#1 (tracking calories) 1637 calories

Friday, February 6, 2015

#1 (tracking calories) 2180 calories

Saturday, February 7, 2015

#1 (tracking calories) 2608 calories

Sunday, February 8, 2015

#1 (tracking calories) 1741 calories

Week 5 Wrap Up

#1 Calories Tracking - A

• I tracked all 7 days. I had 13,869 calories for the week so I was on target although this week my eating was full of less nutrient dense foods than I typically have and honestly I didn't feel that great at the end of the week. I don't know if it had anything to do with my food choices or was just some random thing where I wasn't feeling the best. On Thursday night and Friday I simply felt like I'd been beaten up or something, not that I've ever been beaten up :-). Feeling that way I decided to just lay around and take it easy on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

#2 Veggie Servings - F (57%, 3 of 7 days)

• Well I did say my food choices weren't as nutrient dense this week as they have been in previous weeks. Overall, I am happy with how I'm doing with this veggie goal. I did eat 3 servings of veggies 3 out of 7 days and it is becoming more of a habit. I realize it won't happen ALL the time, but overall I'm still making good progress with this goal.

#3 Heart Rate monitor - A

• I used the monitor the one and only time I ran
  • I am realizing I need to increase my activity level so next challenge I need to come up with some sort of challenge to motivate me to increase my activity level

#4 Clothes laid out - A

• Some evenings I really don't want to do this, but after doing it for so many weeks I realize it doesn't really take that long.
  • I have realized the best time to do this is right when I get home from work

Mini-Challenge Meditate - nada, nothing here - I didn't even attempt this one

Week Six - Let's Finish This - Daily Report

Monday, Feb. 9, 2015

#1 (tracking calories) 1521

#2 (# of veggie servings) 4 serving

#3 (HR monitor when running) HR 133 for a 2 mile run, stayed in the zone 88% of the time

Mini #1 1500-1600 calories - yes

Mini #2 10,000 steps - yes

Tuesday, Feb. 10, 2015

#1 (tracking calories) 1755 (darn vanilla fudge at Stampin' Up)

#3 (HR monitor when running) exercycle, no running

#4 (clothes laid out for next day) done!

Mini #1 1500-1600 calories - over by 155, but still reasonable

Wednesday, Feb. 11, 2015

#1 (tracking calories) 1782 calories

#2 (# of veggie servings) 3-4 servings

#3 (HR monitor when running) strength workout and exercycle, no running

#4 (clothes laid out for next day) done

Mini #1 1500-1600 calories - over by 182, but still reasonable

Thursday, Feb. 12, 2015

#1 (tracking calories) 1670 calories

#2 (# of veggie servings) 3 veggies

#3 (HR monitor when running) avg heart rate 134, 2 mile run

Mini #1 1500-1600 calories over by 70, but still reasonable

Friday, Feb. 13, 2015

#1 (tracking calories) 1571 calories 1931 (had an ice cream sundae around 11:30 pm after taking ibuprofen and not being able to sleep

#2 (# of veggie servings) 0 servings

#3 (HR monitor when running) no running, 1 hour on the bike

#4 (clothes laid out for next day) done Dang, I was 100% on this one until last night. Oh well, I just crawled into bed with my hubby and wasn't really worried about it because the next day was Saturday.

Mini #1 1500-1600 calories yay! I hit the goal and I even had 3 pieces of vanilla fudge

Mini #2 10,000 steps yes

Saturday, Feb. 14, 2015

#1 (tracking calories) 2406 calories

#2 (# of veggie servings) 3-4

#3 (HR monitor when running) strength training, no running

#4 (clothes laid out for next day) done

Mini #1 1500-1600 calories Nope, not at all - Valentines Day celebration!

Mini #2 10,000 steps Okay, so I worked out today and overall I worked out 5 days so I'm taking Saturday and Sunday off, even from my step goal - some days you just need a break from reaching challenges that you have to put a fair amount of effort into achieving.

Sunday, Feb. 15, 2015

#1 (tracking calories) 1804 calories

#2 (# of veggie servings) 2 servings

Mini #1 1500-1600 calories over by 200, but still under 2000

Mini #2 10,000 steps rest day

Week 6 Wrap Up

#1 Tracking Calories - tracked all 7 days - total calories: 12,869 = 100% - A

#2 Three Veggies per day: 5 of 7 days = 71% - C

#3 Use Heart Rate monitor when running = 100% - A

#4 Lay clothes out every night - 6 of 7 days = 86% - B

Challenge 3.2 Teri LIkes to K.I.S.S. Overview

Challenge complete and I declare it a success!

Goal 1 (4 Wisdom points): Track calories - 49/49 days = 100% - A+ for a total of 4 Wisdom points

Goal 2 (4 Constitution points): Eat three veggie servings per day - 29/49 days = 59% F - F means fail and I don't believe that I failed at this goal at all, as a matter of fact I believe I had great success with this goal because I definitely increased my intake of vegetables. I decided to change the way I'm grading this goal based on the number of servings of vegetables consumed throughout the week. If I ate three veggies servings every day it would equate to 21 servings of veggies for the week. This is my weekly report based on that grading:

Week 1: 20/21

Week 2: 18/21

Week 3: 26/21

Week 4: 23/21

Week 5: 16/21

Week 6: 20/21

Totals: 123/147 = 84% B for a total of 3 Constitution points

Goal 3 (3 Stamina points): Use heart rate monitor every time I run & stay in "the zone." = 100% - A+ for a total of 3 Stamina points

Goal 4 (4 Charisma points): Lay out clothes at night - 45/47 days = 96% - A for a total of 4 Charisma points

Mini-challenge #1 Create S.M.A.R.T. goals =1 Wisdom

Mini-challenge #2 Clean up a disorganized area = +1 Wisdom

Mini-challenge #3 Drink 2 glasses of water daily = +1 Constitution

Mini-challenge #4 20 Donkey kicks daily - +1 Strength

Mini-challenge #5 5 minutes daily meditation = +1 Constitution

Mini-challenge #6 Finish the challenge strong = +1 Constitution

My take aways from this challenge

1. At the end of this challenge my weight and measurements were almost exactly the same as when I started so I know my calorie range for maintaining my weight. For my next challenge I will continue tracking and aim for creating a small deficit in order to lose a few pounds. I'm really excited about this. It's been a long process (right at one year) of working through the process of allowing myself to eat without restricting any foods. You can read my story here: Never Too Old To Learn - My Journey With Eating The Food. It's exciting to know I can now work on losing a few pounds without giving up the foods I like that in the past I've labeled as "bad foods."
  2. It wasn't easy at first, but it is completely doable to increase vegetable intake. I noticed the last couple of weeks I was getting 4 to 5 servings on some days without really trying. I still have a day or two here or there where I don't get any veggies, but overall I was getting 3 servings almost every day. I still have to think about this goal every morning, kind of plotting how I'm going to get the veggies in. Including vegetables with my breakfast makes it the easiest so I usually have some sauteed spinach with whatever else I'm having for breakfast. I used to buy fresh spinach leaves to add to my salads and I almost always threw half of the bag out. In the six weeks of working on this challenge I didn't throw out one bag of spinach and I was even buying the big bag! I think setting my password at work to "threeveggies" really helped me with this goal. Multiple times a day I was typing in the phrase "threeveggies" and it kept the idea rolling around in my brain. I have decided for my next challenge when I change my password I'm going to add "3v" to the end of the new password to help keep me on track of eating my veggies. To read the article that prompted me to use my password as way to help me achieve one of my goals read the following: How A Password Changed One Man's Life For The Better
  3. I am really looking forward to spring weather when I can start running outside again. During the last year I backed off on my cardio workouts (running and biking, both of which I really enjoy) and started focusing on lifting weights/strength training. While I am really enjoying the strength workouts, I miss my running and biking. Throughout this challenge I started running again and I realize how much I miss it.
  4. As part of the mini-challenges I upped my water intake and worked on getting 10,000 steps per day 5 days out of the week.

As I was completing the last couple of weeks of this challenge I was thinking about my goals for my next challenge. I think the main thing I learned with this challenge is to keep my goals simple and achievable. Of course I want to work on something I'm not currently doing, but I have to set a goal the I CAN achieve not something "the experts" say is what I should be doing. An example of this would be drinking water. I don't drink much throughout the day so to set a goal to drink 8 glasses of water would be something I would almost certainly fail at. For me it would be more realistic to set a goal of drinking 3 glasses of water per day. ACHIEVABLE IS THE KEY!

Great challenge! Especially the veg, that's a big win to easily double them.

Sent from my iPhone while riding a unicorn through the cosmos.

• Like 1