Spiral Galaxy's Post-Partum Recovery Challenge

Hi everyone! I've been reading NF for a couple years, but this will be my first challenge. I had my first baby on August 30, a 7lb 14 oz healthy boy--making me a Geek Mom! My doctor has cleared me to get back to normal activity, and I figure the NF challenge will be a great way to get back into the swing of things. I'm also back to work (as an electrical engineer at NASA) next week. W00t!

I'm going to cheat and start tracking things next week--from Wed-Sun my husband and I are taking the Lil Geekling to California to visit friends and family.

So here are my goals for the challenge:

Fitness/Diet:

Complete the Rebel Strength Training Guide Basic Training workout

Reduce soda consumption down to 8oz/day

Drink at least one 12oz serving of milk each day (or equivalent in calcium-fortified OJ or yogurt)

--Also, keep up with the stretches recommended by my chiropractor (recovering from a rough delivery)

Life goal:

Finish the first draft (~70K words) of the book I'm working on. It's due in March, but I want plenty of time for revisions and copy editing.

SpiralGalaxy, Level 9 Halfling Elf Assassin
STR 17|DEX 13|STA 20|CON 13|WIS 21|CHA 15
Electromagnetics Engineer, Freelance sci-fi critic in Maryland

"I'm not telling you it's going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it." 

Thanks! I go back to work at NASA JSC tomorrow, I'm so excited! I had been working for the pyrotechnics group there, but will be moving to work on electromagnetic interference for the avionics group. It really is a dream job.

Congrats on your daughter! I really can't imagine yet how big mine will get. He just had his two month pediatrician appt today, and measured 11lb 3 oz, and 23.5 inches.

"I'm not telling you it's going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it." 

OK, so I'm back from the World Fantasy Convention in San Diego, and ready to move forward with my challenge. I have 5 weeks to do 4 weeks worth of workouts.

Here's my starting point:

26.8lbs

29,337 words written so far.

And I took a picture like Steve recommends.

Today I've done:

1) The first workout in the Basic Training set

a) Incline pushups: 10, 10, 9

B) Bodyweight squats: 10, 10, 10

c) Planks: 27 sec, 24 sec

d) Squat thrusts: 13 in 2 minutes

2) Only one soda drink so far, ~8oz

3) (No calcium yet, will have milk with dinner)

4) 1054 new words written for a new total of 30,391.

I'll be heating up some home-made vegetarian chili for dinner tonight, which is very healthy.

Awesome book goals, amiga! I'm also trying to finish an overdue book manuscript, so I feel your pain. (At least you're meeting your deadline. >_>) Anyways, congrats on the baby, and good luck with the challenge. Looks like you're going strong so far!

All that is gold does not glitter.

Not all those who wander are lost.

The old that is strong does not wither.

Deep roots are not touched by the frost.

http://www.kriegschool.com

You should be very proud of yourself. You did awesome today. And congrats on the baby :) Being a parent is motivating, isn't it?

My youngest (19yrs old) just installed a pull-up bar for me. And can I come over for dinner?

Human Druid/Cleric - LvL 3
STR (6.5); DEX (4); STA (9.5); CON (10); WIS (9); CHA (3)

I will not live my life based upon the ideals of someone else. My value is inherent in my existence.

Long term goal: King Pigeon and Dancer.

Thanks everyone! And Skirler--what a great kid!

Today was a recovery day, very welcome since my thighs are really feeling the squats from yesterday. I did take the dog for a 1/4 mile walk this morning. I had a pint of milk with breakfast, so I hit my calcium goal early, and only had one small glass of coke this morning for caffeine. I managed to skip having soda with lunch, and stuck to water.

Word count: 1747 more words, for a total of 32,138--46% of the way there!

Also, today was my first day back at work, yay! It felt good to be back. I'm planning to work two days/week until the little geekling goes into daycare in January.

Viking--what sort of book are you working on? Mine's non-fiction, and I finished all the main research before the baby came. (Actually finished the last two things I needed to read the night I went into the hospital.) That's made it easier to get the words down whenever I have time to write--all this stuff has been marinating in my brain for about a year now.

OK, no workouts on Tuesday or Wednesday, but that was expected because of the two 10-hour work days. It was great to be back at work, I have to say. I did hit my diet goals both days, although I didn't get any writing done yesterday. Today I did the second workout (of 12) in the series:

Body rows (flat feet): 5, 5, 5

Lunges: 8, 8, 8

Planks: 30 sec, 33 sec

Sprints: 6 laps

Plus 10 minutes on the elliptical machine for .7 miles to warm up, and the stretches recommended by my chiropractor. If I get some good writing in today, I'll be a happy camper!

And 962 words written today! 33,100 total, and 47% of the way done. I'll take that.

Still good today. No NF workout, but I did 15 min on the elliptical for 1.1 miles, plus stretching. I've stuck to the 1 soda, 1 glass of calcium each day so far. And I wrote 1575 words, total is now 34675, bumping up against 50% done on the book!

This weekend was successful on the fitness goals, less so on the book. Only 862 words written, although that does put me past the halfway point.

Saturday:

Pushups (using stability ball) 10,10,10

Squats: 8,8,8

Planks: 30 sec, 30 sec

Monday:

Bodyweight rows (flat feet): 7,6,5

Lunges: 8,10,10

Planks: 35 sec, 30 sec

Plus keeping up with the stretches/exercises from my doctor.

That's 4 workouts down, 8 to go.

Yesterday was a bit of a flop--10 hour workday plus riding my motorcycle home in the midst of a big-ass thunderstorm. I hadn't planned to work out, and I did hold myself to one soda, but I forgot to have a glass of milk or equivalent--when I got home I headed for some well-deserved alcohol instead. Oops. But it shouldn't be a problem to get back on the horst today, and I've got another work out planned for tomorrow. The only thing that worries me is that my hip pain is flaring up again. I'm not sure if it's from the lunge exercizes that were part of the workout on Monday, or if it was just from doing too much walking around & standing at work yesterday. I don't want to push too hard and reinjure myself...

OK, Tuesday & Wednesday weren't great for goals--I flopped on the calcium each day, and no workouts or wordcount progress. Also, I guess I pushed too hard somewhere, and my hips started hurting more instead of less. Suck. However, I've been holding the line well on soda! And, being back at work is great. I'm already in a lab, working with hardware, learning new stuff & being useful. Hooray!

And today (a day at home) went very well. I got a workout in, and 750 more words written. The word count is slowing down, but I'm still making good progress, it's just that it requires as much reading as writing in this phase.

Workout:

Pushups on stability ball: 9,9,8

Body weight squats: 10, 10, 10

Planks: 32, 35 sec

Plus .5 mile warm-up on the elliptical machine & stretches from Chiropractor. I'll call that a win.

This weekend was a bit demoralizing again. I wanted to get 3000 words written, but only managed 700. Got back to the gym, but doing bodyweight lunges is still too rough on my hips, and I spent all of Monday hurting. And on Monday at work I forgot my water bottle, and ended up cheating on the soda. I think I also got dehydrated on Sunday and Monday, since I had headaches both days for the first time in ages. Bleah.

But I've been good on getting calcium, especially with my homemade smoothies (frozen fruit, oatmeal, calcium-fortified OJ, and vanilla yogurt). I think I know how i need to modify my workouts to keep my hips from getting worse. And I made great progress today on the writing, getting one of my first 2000+ days in a long time. I'm over 42K total and about 60% of the way there. I'm back on the one-soda-a-day bandwagon, and I didn't have a headache today. So a bit of a dip there, but it looks like I'm swinging back to forward progress.

This past week kind of sucked for the major goals. I completely ran out of time and brainspace. I've been doing well at sticking to 1 soda a day, and having this challenge has really encouraged me on the calcium. However, I haven't worked out since last week and I've barely advanced on my manuscript. Also, the pain that I've been seeing the chiropractor for has been flaring up again off and on.

I *think* that things will get better right after Thanksgiving. I'll be getting some extra help with the geekling that should free up some time. I'll have a week and a half to finish the remaining 4 exercises in the challenge, and I think I can do that. And while I won't hit the word count I'd wanted (70K), I'll be much closer to where I want to be. We'll see how it goes...

Back to the gym for the first time in over a week. Felt pretty good, although I seem to have caused a flare-up of some old tendonitis in my wrist. I followed the work-out with a big glass of milk & some peanut butter on crackers. My planks holds are getting longer finally--for my next challenge I might aim to get to a minute. I'm also happy that I increased my body weight rows. Looking at the calendar I think I'll be one workout short of making my goal by Dec 5, but I should get the last one in on Dec 6th or so. And today I've added more than 1500 words to my word count, which makes me happy.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines